Thread: Two questions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Two questions.

Is a Rohloff too much of a theft risk for a commuter/shopping/touring bike? I mean, I know they can cut the spokes to get at it, but even with locking skewers, couldn't they just cut the frame?

And there was something else, what was it...

Oh, and as to the tubing wall thickness, which is thicker, the troll or the LHT?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Depends on where you are. In my area nobody even knows what a rohloff is and you are more likely to loose a cheap mountain bike looking bike than an eleventy billion dollar bike with drop bars. That being said my bikes don't live outside and come into my cube with me when I ride to work.

A God Without A Name
    If it's any different it will pretty obviously be the Troll with thicker tubing. as it is built for a suspension fork.

The Rohloff hub is a relative question. ask other local cyclists, personally I think it's too expensive a part for a daily driver. But hey, throw that money away, it is a bit better than an Alfine 11. and a "bit" is probably totally worth an extra $1,000.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would think for touring, where the bike is with you most of the time, it would be ok. Communting and shopping, I personally wouldn't risk it. Especially if you're having to lock it outside. I can lock my bike inside of my office, so I would have no problems commuting, but not a lot of shopping places will let you keep it inside.

Granted not a lot of people know what a Rohloff is, but for someone in the know, that's a lot of temptation for some quick cash. As for getting to the hub, forget cutting the frame or spokes--they will just cut your lock and be on their way in less than 5 min.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    If I had the extra cash I wouldn't think twice of running a Rohloff on my comutter. Although it may cause be to be more careful. I for sure wouldn't leave it out overnight or anything like that.

Honestly I doubt anyone would even notice it and I doubt the ones that did would be looking to steal it. Chances are anyone that knows what a Rohloff is and is shady enough to steal a bike is gonna be a pro that's gonna take your bike anyways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    If it's any different it will pretty obviously be the Troll with thicker tubing. as it is built for a suspension fork.

The Rohloff hub is a relative question. ask other local cyclists, personally I think it's too expensive a part for a daily driver. But hey, throw that money away, it is a bit better than an Alfine 11. and a "bit" is probably totally worth an extra $1,000.
    The aflines tend to bust under high torque and off road conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Do you think the LHT tubing can handle the clamping of a bikes at work trailer with a 300lb load?

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    I've heard people say that. I've seen photos of that. I've also seen people abuse the living tar out of them for several seasons and not have a single issue. and seen that proven. I am holding the theory that it may be heavily dependant on set up and getting a "good" or "bad" one.

I'm not making Rohloff money, so it's a moot point for me. But I personally am trying to decide between and Alfine 8 or singlespeed for my commuter. being that I put my commuters through a lot of abuse because I am a big fat guy with big leg muscles. Doing 45x16 to get the gear ratios I want...

I just can't decide if it's worth it, for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    I've got 2 Alfine 8 IGHs that are going strong after 5yrs each in a Pugsley and 1 Alfine 11 that spent a year in my 29er MTB bikepacking rig. All 3 are ticking along great.

My Alfines are all geared 32T x 23T which is pretty low.

I have a Rohloff in my Big Dummy which gets locked up all over town and gets toured on when I need some extra carrying capacity. While the Rohloff may be expensive to buy it has little value to most people.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It'd be nice if Nuvinci would just make a Nuvinci 500.

Isn't the Nuvinci actually the strongest one?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by abicycle View Post
    it'd be nice if nuvinci would just make a nuvinci 500.
    yes, yes, yes.