mtbr member
    Mar 2004

try dual 650 in 1x1 or go KM?

I used to have both a hardtail 29SS and a Surly 1x1. We moved, and I decided to thin the heard. Sold the 29er SS. while I really miss it, its been nice only having 3 bikes instead of my previous 4 (road and dualie)

I've had a 1x1 for a long time. I commute on it daily (just 2 mi each way), and while its not near as much fun to ride on the rocky trials as my dual-boinger, I love to take it out for shorter rides. Its the one bike I've held onto year after year - just so "right"

So I moved west to a less rocky area, and have been taking it on the trails much more than I did back in my local east coast rockfest. Missing "something" I used to have with my old 29er hardtail (that had a 120 fork on it BTW). So I'm considering 2 options:
    1. Try a 650 set up both front and rear in my 1x1. I've got a 650 front wheel that lives on my dualie - really like it a lot. Makes sense for the front, never tried a rear 650 and don't know if it will affect things that much.

2. Sell my 1x1 and build up a KM. Obviously bigger wheels!

I should mention that I'm 5'8, and am on a medium (18in) 1x1 right now, and only run it SS.thoughts?
    J

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I ride 650b on my green 1x1. Lefty fork, neo-motos. Best move I have done to it. And I've done a lot. People whine and ask when Surly will make a 650b bike...they all ready do.

The 1x1.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I picked up a Troll and a KM frameset in 2011. Both are awesome bikes. Converted the Troll to 650b and sold the KM frameset this past Sunday. It seems to give me the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    I ride 650b on my green 1x1. Lefty fork, neo-motos. Best move I have done to it. And I've done a lot. People whine and ask when Surly will make a 650b bike...they all ready do.

The 1x1.
    I know what you mean, it's kind of weird. We have Mr 650b, KP say that someone would be hard pressed to design a better 650b from scratch than already exists with the Troll/1x1, yet it goes unnoticed.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    People whine and ask when Surly will make a 650b bike...they all ready do.

The 1x1.
    LOL no doubt! I’ve ridden everything from 24"x3" Nokian Gazzaloddis, to 29"x3" WTB, and of course 700Cx32 Kenda Small Block Eight tires on my 2009 11th Anniversary Edition Surly 1x1 “Rat Ride”. The 1x1 is truly a chameleon of a bike.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.