mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Troll tire size question

Anyone know if a 2.75 dirt wizard will fit a Troll? Also, any word of a 26+ knard? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if you could fit a 2.75 tire into the front of a Troll (though I really don't know for sure); I'd very surprised if you could fit it into the back.

Putting it on a "regular" rim and not the wide Instigator rim would certainly help in the case of the front. I think the Troll's clearance is supposed to be for up to 2.7" tires.
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

mtbr member
    From the Surly website:
    "26 x 2.75˝. Individual tire and rim combos affect tire clearance"

Troll | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am running Blunt 35's for rims. I am going to try it and see what happens. Looking for some extra cushion and traction. I'm pretty sure it will fit the front, just not sure about the rear since every manufacturer's idea of tire clearance is different. I don't have the frame yet, otherwise I'd mearure it. (black not available through lbs until December)

mtbr member
    It would be strange if Surly's new tire couldn't run on the Troll (or the 1x1). If those frames can't fit it, what would? Besides the new Instagator.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    If the Troll can fit Marge Lites, it can handle the Dirt Wizard

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'd say yes. Surly did confirm that the Dirt Wizard will fit the Instigator V1. The Troll has even better clearance with ability to slide the wheel back in the dropouts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I run Halo SAS wheelset 37mm rims I run a black floyd up front in standard troll fork and a 3g bikes BOA-G in the back thats a 26x 3.45 but on SAS rim is is bout 68mm wide fits fully forward in back drop out.Also use 3'' lepoard duros fits back fine but really heavy so looking forward to trying dirt wizard shud fit no probs.Are 2 pics of my bike on surly website look in troll photo dump my bike black with green panniers,fatties do indeed fit fine!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I also have a tire question. I'm building a Troll, and would like to make it a semi-fat with 2.7 to 3" tires. I know of Surly Dirt Wizards (2.75) and 26" Knards (3 inches I believe). But they are booth very expensive tires. Are there any other 2.7" tires out there in MTB land? I ran into one 2.7" tire on sale the other day, from a spam mail add. Looked at it but wasn't ready to pull the trigger so I set the idea aside. Meanwhile I have completely lost track of where I saw it or even what brand it was (perhaps it was even a typo..not sure). Anyway, any other tire options out there for 2.7 to 3" (26" of course). I sure can't find any on the internet sites I frequent. Thanks I'm hoping to ride the Divide trail for it inaugural run if that matters.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Kenda Navegal comes in a 2.7 size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Maxxis Minion as well.