mtbr member

New question here. Troll Rims. How wide is too wide?

There's a Troll in my future, I hope, if they actually start shipping them.

I plan on making at least two wheelsets. For one I have a set of rims with a 26mm internal width. I figure those will handle tires right around the 2" range. I'll put something mostly slick on them for commuting at first at least.

The 2nd wheelset I make I want to be as fat as possible, for tires that'll be at or near 3", so I'm trying to figure the best rim width for tires that size. I believe I could go as wide as a Marge Lite or similar 65mm rim, or I could go with the Rabbit Hole or similarly sized 50mm rim. Since I feel like I've read of people putting 3" rubber on both of these rims, I wonder what the differences/advantages/drawbacks are to running tires that size on different rim widths.

mtbr member
    At 50mm a 3" tyre get a more square profile.

Depending on the tyre the casing may be wider than the lugs. If you ride on loose/greasy cambers there may be a lack of edge grip. Personally I wouldn't go over about 45mm, but really it all comes down to the tyre design.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    From what I have seen the 3" is tight in the back of a Troll, even won't fit in some. If I were planing a 26+ plus build (tire availability is a bit of a non-standard for me) I would lean for a 650b frame like the Soma B-side. As it will be as versatile, more son in some ways, and a bit more future proof.

Personally I think the Rhyno Lite is a perfect match for a Troll. Wideish and has a brake track.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I might not be able go full 3" in the rear, but I think I can get close. Changing frames is not likely. The Troll's been on my wish list for a while, and with the World Troller coming out, it can do about everything I want it to. It'll do 650b if I want to, but for now I'm looking more at 26. I'm hoping that something with an even tread will sit okay on the rim, but I really don't know.

Obi
    mtbr member
    O/P what you're asking is honestly a totally subjective thing. It all is going to come down to what specific tire, what specific rim, and what specific backspacing (geared fully forward vs. single speed spaced back, or whatever you do using a tensioner set) you run.

For example, I know a guy running an old set of SunRingle Singletracks, IIRC they're like 29-32mm but his 3" tires rubbed until he trimmed the side lugs and pulled the wheel back a bit to clear the front of the stays and put the tire in the "sweet-spot".

IMHO, wait for more replies, or better yet, put out a local feeler for fellow Troll riders or even anyone willing to let you throw a wheel and tire combo on for fitment.

Knowing where you're posting this topic from will help with that. Edit your location into your original post.

Let us know what plays out.

*edit: There's a flickr Troll group to supplement the thread in this forum, start looking at pics and also pm Owners for feedback.
    R.I.P. Captain Endo - One of Oregon's Best
    Find Some For Sale Collectible/Vintage Stuff Here. Let me know.

mtbr member
    A 35mm wide rim will work fine with a 3" tire. That will also work for a 2" tire.

So based on what you are talking about I'd just build 1 nice set of 35mm rim wheels. Use them for everything.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I likely could get by with one set of rims, but I want to play around with different rim widths, and I like the idea of having a backup wheel set to simplify tire changes and to have at the ready in case there's a problem with one. I've had a number of situations where my bike had to sit, unused, for days at a time while I waited to fix/replace a wheel issue, so I'm pretty set on having a 2nd wheelset to keep me rolling in those situations. I have a set of i26 rims to use for my commuting tires. So I thought why not make my second set as wide as feasibly possible, so I can get as close as possible to seeing what the fat bike thing is all about without actually getting a 2nd bike.

I just don't want to jump in completely blind. I know people have fitted both marge lites and rabbit holes to their Trolls, so I'm looking for feedback on how that worked out. I don't have to go that wide if it's not going to work well. My 2nd set could be closer to the 35mm range if that's what works best.

I suspect that there's not enough Troll riders in my area (Raleigh, NC) to do a lot of test-riding and wheel swapping. When I placed my order last week, it sounded like my shop had not actually seen a Troll come through yet, and my order was only the second one they had placed (both World Trollers, so not shipped yet). So by August, there may be two of us. Not a great sample size. Anyhow, I don't mind being the edge case and learning the hard way that something doesn't work. I just figure with a community this size, someone's already tried it, and I might as well get the benefit of their experience.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Obi
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
    ..why not make my second set as wide as feasibly possible, so I can get as close as possible to seeing what the fat bike thing is all about without actually getting a 2nd bike...
    This needs a Yehuda Moon comic strip quote.
    R.I.P. Captain Endo - One of Oregon's Best
    Find Some For Sale Collectible/Vintage Stuff Here. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    A 35mm wide rim will work fine with a 3" tire. That will also work for a 2" tire.

So based on what you are talking about I'd just build 1 nice set of 35mm rim wheels. Use them for everything.
    Exactly what I was going to type. I am using Flow EX's on everything from 2" to 3".

Wide rims are surely nice (I have fat bikes as well), but on + sizes, I am perfectly happy with ~30mm. Also note there is over 200g difference between RH and Flow EX.

mtbr member
    Thanks, that's good info to have. The rims I'm starting with are slightly wider than the Flow Ex, so I guess they should be able to handle anything I throw at them. So that's good, as it means I should be able to experiment with different tires before I build up my second set of rims.

The weight doesn't concern me too much. I'm not sold of the Rabbit Hole, either, it was just the most obvious example (in the Surly forum) of the size I was looking at. There may be other rims of similar width that are lighter. But then the rims I'm currently running are only 5 grams lighter than the Rabbit Holes, and they feel pretty good to me. Not that I'll shy away from a chance to go lighter if I can do it without breaking the bank. I just don't think that weight's going to be the deciding factor in choosing my rim width. I'm more concerned about how the tire fits and whether it functions properly.