mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Troll Owners External BB Question

Are any of you Troll owners using an external bottom bracket on your build

If you are, did you get the bottom bracket faced and chased?

I thought I read somewhere Surly doesn't face the head tube and the bb, so I want to doublecheck

I will be using a Hope bottom bracket for my build and don't want to run into premature wear if the Troll bb isn't faced

also just called several shops here in Colorado and they want $40-60 to do the job...sound about right?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm running a SLX external BB crankset and did not have the BB faced or chased. The threads where super clean and the edges looked pretty nice. The shop I worked for said that if the threads didn't have any interfering amounts of paint and the outer lip wasn't goobered looking then it almost causes more buttache to face and chase which wasn't really worth it (paint chipping etc).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hey thanks, good to hear that

I'd rather put the $ into a new set of wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Normally it's free with the frame purchase from the LBS. You really shouldn't need it. I've never done it with any of my Surlys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just hit the edges with a file to knock off the paint in case it wasn't even. Never had any problems.

mtbr member
    I just built a Troll today for the shop I work at and it's about the 5th Surly I have built. I like to chase the bb and face both the bb and the head tube. I have the tools and it just gives me peace of mind. Also, with both of my personal Surly's the head tube had a moderately bad low spot that I just wanted to get out. I think it's a personal preference thing really.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood