mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Troll front drop-outs....is this a common problem?

Hi....new to this forum so glad to see I'm not alone in my predisposition to riding tanks...Anyway, down to the problem...I've owned my troll for over a year now, and have a recurring problem, namely the front wheel misaligning in the drop outs...even after mild off road jumps, bunny hops, manuals, wheelies etc. It's not misaligning so badly as to become un-rideable, but sufficient to cause the rotor to bind. Initially, I thought the problem was due to the cheap Avid juicy 5's I was using, which are notorious for binding anyway. These were swapped out for some SLXs (levers, calipers and rotors) which have better pad clearance. The problem still occurs. I've tried the QR super tight, I've tried slackening the skewer, and everything in between, to no avail. Everything else is spot on...faced Headtube, quality headset, handbuilt wheel with good spoke tension XTR skewer, centered caliper/rotor etc. I think the problem is down to the drop outs themselves....is this a common fault with these forks?
    After all, they're only cheap powder-coated Taiwanese chro-mo...what do fellow Trollsters think?

mtbr member
    Perhaps the dropouts are themselves misaligned, causing the skewer to come ungripped. Check to make sure that they are parallel and in line with the fork legs.

Those would be the things that I would check.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Never had such a problem - have you had any professionals look at it?
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    Never had such a problem - have you had any professionals look at it?

Not yet....think I'll try to rig up some kind of square, off each fork leg, to see if the drop outs are skewed...posted on here to see if it was a common fault.
    I've read a few other threads about the same issue on different forks, so presumably it comes down to tolerances, paint thickness etc. i can see myself reaching for the round file in due course...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A bike shop should have an alignment tool that will easily show if the fork dropouts aren't lined up and square.

I have a Troll with a 180mm front disc brake and have had zero problems. I did once have a similar problem to yours with a Niner fork - the dropout spacing was too wide and the skewer could not generate enough force to keep the axle properly seated. To check for that problem, turn the bike upside down and loosen the skewer. If there is more than a millimeter of space on either side, that could be the issue. A burly fork like the Surly Troll will be hard to squeeze tight if there's too much spacing.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sheldon Brown to the rescue:

Adjusting bicycle forkends to be parallel

He shows the use of the Park tool, and then goes on to show an "improvised" tool you can fabricate yourself with an old axle or some threaded bar stock.

mtbr member
    Is your QR skewer an internal cam or external? I had a similar issue when I first built my troll that was easily fixed with a Shimano Deore external cam skewer. I originally built mine with whatever cheap skewer I had laying around, which happened to be an internal cam.

Cycle Psycho
    nirvana
    Last edited by Gritter; 06-07-2014 at 02:52 PM.