mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Troll Build Help

Got myself a grape colored (egg plant) Troll on the way to build up as a commuter/fun bike so I'm going to need to get to purchasing all the other bits to go on it. So I'm here looking for some advise. I have nothing in terms of bike parts in the garage so everything will have to be purchased and I'm ok with that, just don't want to break the bank.

Drivetrain is my main concern. I'm wanting to run a single chainring and then cassette in the back for some gear changing as I do have a hilly commute to work. What are some good options for the single chainring? Am I better to buy a double and then just take one off and change the bolts/add chain guide? Was hoping to run something like a 42 up front and then go up to a 32 in the back or maybe a touch higher if I can.

Also going to need some wheels and want to run disc brakes.

What's the best way to go about sourcing parts? I've been looking on nashbar, performance, pricepoint, bluesky but finding a single chainring crankset that's not for DH seems to be difficult

I'm open to suggestions though, just want a fun bike that I can ride anywhere and tow a trailer with my kid in it etc

mtbr member
    Are you looking for all brand new parts? If you have any interest in used stuff check out Craigslist or the SS Parts Swap Thread on here for lots of good stuff.

As for the crank, are you looking for something with outboard bearings or just a regular cartridge bb? Now that you've got the frame, what is your parts budget? Not breaking the bank may mean something different to different people.

Are you looking for a 1x10 drivetrain? Or 1x9, or 1x8? (I know there's some 9-speed stuff on the ss parts swap thread right now).

Just trying to get a rough idea of what your build plan is to go from there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Are you looking for all brand new parts? If you have any interest in used stuff check out Craigslist or the SS Parts Swap Thread on here for lots of good stuff.
    I'm not opposed to used but I know so little about used parts that I'm afraid I wouldn't know a decent deal

As for the crank, are you looking for something with outboard bearings or just a regular cartridge bb?
    I'm afraid I will have to research what the difference is. I don't know

Now that you've got the frame, what is your parts budget? Not breaking the bank may mean something different to different people.
    Just for a number.. Lets say keep it under $1500 for everything else (wheels, bars, headsets etc)

Are you looking for a 1x10 drivetrain? Or 1x9, or 1x8? (I know there's some 9-speed stuff on the ss parts swap thread right now).
    No real preference i don't guess. 9 or 10

Just trying to get a rough idea of what your build plan is to go from there.
    That Help some?

I've thought it might be easier to purchase a full groupset (i.e. SRAM X7 or something) than then just setup the crank as I want and keep the other parts incase I ever wanted a double or triple up front

mtbr member
    Purchasing a full groupset is a much easier route than picking and choosing this and that, although you do lose customization. Make sure it's everything you need, though. Make sure it will all be compatible with your frame. You will be spending extra on a triple or double crankset, as well as paying for a front shifter and derailleur that you won't be using if you go with the groupset. A lot of times with the groupset you won't get a choice in rotor size either, and if you're a big guy like me, you'll want 180's or bigger. Talk to your LBS or do some research on some groupsets online to see what you can get. You may even be able to work a deal with your LBS where you can trade out the brand new rotors for the same thing in a larger size. I think the X7 is a perfect groupset for quality and value. If you go with anything above X5 (I believe) you'll get an outboard bottom bracket. The actual BB bearings sit outside of the frame, so in laymen's terms, it's going to be stiffer, stronger and lighter. Your crank will be a 2-piece design with a longer/wider hollow spindle, which will increase strength and decrease weight.

Do you have all of the needed tools to build up the bike?

If you're looking for a headset still, I suggest nothing but the Cane Creek 40 series. Seatpost, bars, stem, grips, saddle are all going to vary in price greatly and be up to rider preference on what you want.

I believe that leaves wheels, tires and pedals, right?

*edit* I suggest Salsa rings for a 1x10 conversion. You'll also need some SS chainring bolts and I would suggest a chainkeeper as well.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Wouldn't it be easier to buy the Troll complete? It seems like it has a nice group from the factory. Just saying. Good luck on whatever you choose.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Of course it would be easier, but then I would immediately start changing things around so I figured why not build one and say I did. I dunno, seemed like a fun project and an opportunity to learn something

mtbr member
    Have you considered what size wheels you want? I'm hearing great things about running 650b's on the Troll's and 1x1's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was going to run a set of 26" Vuelta Zero Lite's that I have already to start with. They're not disc compatible so I might change my mind before building

The 650B looks interesting and fun though. MIght have to look into that
    Last edited by gamb; 11-20-2012 at 12:48 PM.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gamb View Post
    Of course it would be easier, but then I would immediately start changing things around so I figured why not build one and say I did. I dunno, seemed like a fun project and an opportunity to learn something
    I've said that myself. It is a disease though. Once you find out how fun it is you can't stop. Good luck.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok.. pretty much changed my mind, probably (lol) go with double chainring for more offroad versatility etc.

I like the 650b wheel idea, but a question for you folks. Can I run 650C road tires on those wheels also or are they too wide? Not planning on running a tubeless setup. Still wheel shopping but don't want to be saddled with off road tread all the time

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    They would not be interchangeable even if the rim width wasn't too wide. The bead seat diameters are different.

650B B.S.D. = 584 mm
    650C B.S.D. = 571 mm

mtbr member
    You're going to be getting a new wheelset any way you go if you decide to get a complete parts group for this Troll. It just wouldn't make sense to buy a nice parts kit, then ditch the disc brakes for v-brakes because of your wheelset. If it were my build, I'd buy a complete 2x10 parts kit, 650b wheelset/tires (or 26" if you choose) and then the rest is pretty basic from there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    They would not be interchangeable even if the rim width wasn't too wide. The bead seat diameters are different.

650B B.S.D. = 584 mm
    650C B.S.D. = 571 mm
    Bummer. Are there any road friendly tires for 650b wheels?

i'm also open to wheel set suggestions. $500 or so or cheaper if worth it

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I doesn't look like there is much out there. I looked at universalcycles and saw Schwalbe had the most mtn bike 650B's, so I searched there site for 584 B.S.D. tires and came up with one suitable tire. The Marathon HS 420, part # 11100680, which is out of stock.

Unless you feel like you really have to change away from 26" tires to something different I'd stay with the 26" since there is a huge array of tire choices in all directions.

There are plenty of wheel choices out there in 26" for less that $500 that are reliable, decent weight, and strong. bicyclewheelwarehouse and universalcycles have good prices. On the latter you can use their custom builder that still has good prices.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bummer. Are there any road friendly tires for 650b wheels?
    Oh yeah. All the 650b rando guys rave about Grand Bois Hetres. But there's plenty of other options. Look in the retro-grouchy places like Velo Orange, Compass, and Rivendell. 650b road tires run a bit wider than your normal 23mm 700c roadie tires. But that's a good thing. The Pacenti Pari-Moto is another one that gets a lot of rave reviews.

i'm also open to wheel set suggestions. $500 or so or cheaper if worth it
    For wheels, most go with Velocity rims . I think a wheelset with Blunt or Synergy rims and Shimano XT hubs would come in under $500 at your favorite local wheelsmith's shop. If you're running rim brakes, Velo Orange and Rivendell have pretty good deals on pre-made hand-built wheelsets.

Looks like a fun project. Good luck!

mtbr member
    I agree with bolandjd on going with Velocity rims. My Blunt wheelset is by-far the strongest and my most-favorite wheelset I've personally owned. I am also a fan of Shimano's newer hubs as well. I would look into the SLX hubs, though. The only difference between the XT and SLX for the 2012/2013 lineup is that the XT has an aluminum axle. It's lighter weight, but I like the SLX because it's their trusted cromoly steel axle and all of the cones and locknuts are readily available. You'll be stuck with Centerlock, but that's no big deal. The 6-bolt XT hubs that they offer are cheap, heavy and have low POE. The new SLX and XT hubs have 34 POE which is great compared to the old XT with 16 POE. Pair up some SLX hubs, 650b Blunt's and some DT spokes and you're set - that wheelset will be strong, reliable and servicable.

Looks like you've found yourself a wheelset gamb

Are you going to run tubeless?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    thanks guys

i hadn't planned on tubeless, would you consider it more or less hassle than tubes? remember, this is mainly commuter/goof around bike. i'd call it 80% pavement

mtbr member
    Forgot about the mainly pavement part, I'd stick to tubes. I really like the benefits of tubeless for offroad riding, but for my town bike I'm running tubes also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Back up to the top, Got my frame and starting to gather parts for the build. Found these wheels on ebay and seem like a pretty good deal. The black ones on six fifty's site are like $350 but these silvers are quite a bit cheaper.

Ebay Link

Thoughts?

Bike shop is helping me put together a group and I've got brakes covered so wheels is pretty much the only big thing left

mtbr member
    That seems like a decent wheel set. The hubs are no name, but that's about the lowest price I've seen for a disc ready 650B wheelset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    so would this be a better option for a little more money?

XDisc 650b + Pure hubs