mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Troll build help!

I have been riding my Raleigh M-80 since I was 15. It has been an awesome bike but I have somewhat outgrown it. After spending a good two weeks on google looking for a good replacement I have fallen in love with the troll, what a sweet bike. I really like the idea of a fully rigid mountain/commuter bike. The only problem is that I was looking to get a bike for around $700 or $800... now I'm looking at a complete troll for $1400.

Seeing how I can get a frame for $430 is there any chance I could build a decent troll for under $1000? Ignoring the cost of labor and tools?

I will mostly be using this bike for commuting everyday but I like to hit the trails on the weekends. I would like to do a little touring in the future too but this is not my #1 priority at this point.

Any suggestions? Are there any good build kits that could keep me under $1000 total? Or should I just save up for the complete? I wish to keep my M-80 intact. I am willing to look into other bikes but I am enamored by that ugly troll...

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Buy used parts on ebay or on the classifieds here. It will take a little longer but you can save a lot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You can do a decent build for around $1000 fairly easily by shopping online. I built up my Ogre for about that much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm in the middle of a (very slow) Ogre build. I think it could be done under $1k, but as it is I will spend more than if I had bought a complete bike - and this one won't even have gears.

That said, I'm putting better components on it than would come on the complete. I easily spent twice as much on wheels and tires as I could have (Putting Stan's Flows with Specialized Captains on it) and am spending some more on other components, but I'm hard on stuff so quality is pretty important. Plus with the wheels I put on it, I can easily swap over to my Stumpjumper.

However, I've managed to save a bunch of money by spending a little time hunting for stuff, finding stuff on sale or on Chainlove and making good use of my LBS's takeoff wall. For example, Avid Elixir 5s, front and rear, for $125. Shop around and you'll be able to find the components you need pretty cheap, especially if you're not set on brand.

Don't forget to budget for the build or tools if you don't have them. I needed to buy a BB tool, but everything else I had, and I had the LBS install the headset cups for $15 instead of buying the tool.

Good luck!

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Also, you can make some tools for very little. I made a headset press, headset remover, and crown race installer from parts at the hardware store for about $10-15

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyNamedMatt View Post
    I have been riding my Raleigh M-80 since I was 15. It has been an awesome bike but I have somewhat outgrown it. After spending a good two weeks on google looking for a good replacement I have fallen in love with the troll, what a sweet bike. I really like the idea of a fully rigid mountain/commuter bike. The only problem is that I was looking to get a bike for around $700 or $800... now I'm looking at a complete troll for $1400.

Seeing how I can get a frame for $430 is there any chance I could build a decent troll for under $1000? Ignoring the cost of labor and tools?

I will mostly be using this bike for commuting everyday but I like to hit the trails on the weekends. I would like to do a little touring in the future too but this is not my #1 priority at this point.

Any suggestions? Are there any good build kits that could keep me under $1000 total? Or should I just save up for the complete? I wish to keep my M-80 intact. I am willing to look into other bikes but I am enamored by that ugly troll...
    I dunno if you want to go as bargain bin as I did, but the nice (and also frustrating) thing about bikes is that you can always upgrade parts.

I just transferred the parts from my co-op mountain bike build over to the Troll. hard to say what the total was, but second biggest expense was my awesome Surly hub/Mavic rimmed wheel I got on CL for $60.

I'm guessing my total was ~$800 in all honesty. There are certainly things I need to upgrade sooner than later, but I was planning on building a touring specific wheelset in the future anyhow, so why not beat this one into the ground first?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'll have to check the classifieds and look around online. Is there a good way of knowing what the troll will be compatible with? Besides looking at the spec sheets?

This will be my first build. Maybe I will be in over my head for a while but it seems fun. Are there any good links to guides that could point me in the right direction?

It looks like it will be possible to stay within my budget thanks.

I Ride for Donuts
    The Pricepoint.com clearance section has built me a couple of decent bikes for less than $1000. I'd start there.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyNamedMatt View Post
    I'll have to check the classifieds and look around online. Is there a good way of knowing what the troll will be compatible with? Besides looking at the spec sheets?

This will be my first build. Maybe I will be in over my head for a while but it seems fun. Are there any good links to guides that could point me in the right direction?

It looks like it will be possible to stay within my budget thanks.
    Is there a bike co-op near you? I can't recommend that route enough if you know you want to do your own builds in the future, or just understand yr bike from the frame up.

However, depending on how well stocked they are and personnel you might want to get a couple things done by the LBS too. Maybe race and chase the frame?

And if you do go for raw frame I suggest taking the time to "frame saver" it.... first time I ever did it, and yeah it sucked for those 3 days that I just wanted to work on the bike, but I have so much more confidence now about next winter, long term investment and all.