mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Touring on CrossCheck

I know people are using CC for light and heavy touring, and are not having any problems with heal clearance. If you fall into this category then please let me know what rear rack you are using. I recently purchased a CC and plan to use it for many things including touring. I am looking for the right rack and am not sure what to get. Obviously the right rack is out there, but I am not sure which one is going to give me the most clearance. So what rack is going to give me enough clearance for large panniers?

Thanks!

Ride steel, stay hairy.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoboing View Post
    I know people are using CC for light and heavy touring, and are not having any problems with heal clearance. If you fall into this category then please let me know what rear rack you are using. I recently purchased a CC and plan to use it for many things including touring. I am looking for the right rack and am not sure what to get. Obviously the right rack is out there, but I am not sure which one is going to give me the most clearance. So what rack is going to give me enough clearance for large panniers?

Thanks!
    Hey mate, done some loaded touring on the Crosscheck, it's not 100% dialled in for loaded touring. I used a rear Surly Nice Rack and Tubus Duo front lowrider rack on mine. Found that under load (35/40kgs on the rear rack - plus 85kg rider) I could feel the frame flex and shimmy. Tried several variations on loading and nothing felt quite right. Rode exactly the same configuration and load on a mates Long Haul Trucker and did not experience any flex or shimmy.

Loaded slightly lighter in the same configuration (30kgs) and the set-up on the Crosscheck felt loads better.. and in full bikepacking mode (-25kgs) with Revelate framebags it felt amazing, as the Crosscheck always does.

Have tried the front Surly Nice Rack on the Crosscheck, found that I just ended loading it right up!! Such a usefull rack but SOOooo heavy..

Reckon if I was to re-purchase racks again I'd spec my Crosscheck with Tubus front and rear... Duo upfront and a Cosmo out back.. Actually just bought a Tubus Airy with lightweight touring in mind. Anyway here are some shots to get ya stoke on! Benny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Touring on CrossCheck-cc-1a.jpg  

Touring on CrossCheck-cc2.jpg  

Touring on CrossCheck-cc1.jpg  

Touring on CrossCheck-40247_458357896310_740426310_6996061_7165020_n.jpg  

Touring on CrossCheck-31388_429017247651_620742651_5379490_1797465_n.jpg  

www.bottlesandchains.com
    'ride local, drink global'

mtbr member
    I used this Axiom rack on my Crosshairs (similar to my Crosscheck now)

Bikeman Axiom Journey Adjustable Rack 2429 Black

The long lower stays let you slide your bags rearward quite a bit. That worked fine for my size 11 feet.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have a Crosscheck that I have done a bit of touring on, and have a long trip (8ish days of riding) that I plan to do in about a week and a half.

I have a Surly Nice Rack, and I like it, but it is a bit heavy. However, if you are going to carry a heavy load it is reassuring to have such a strong rack.

The bike handles well under load. I usually tour on both gravel and pavement, and the bike does great on either.

If you are on the smaller side (I ride a 50cm frame) you might experience heel rub with full bags, as I do.

Here is my bike:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Touring on CrossCheck-baker-lake-05-11-22.jpg  

mtbr member
    The lower the load the better. I've strapped weight to the top of the rack on mine and felt much flex and wobble. The largeness of my frame and relative flimsy of my wheels may have something to do with that though. I want to put together some 36hole, beefy wheels. Also I want to get some frame bag action to keep the load centered.

mtbr member
    I use Nitto Campee's on mine with no issues

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    Currently reviewing an Ibex Maroc 29er