mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Torsion bar and stem length question

Hello all,

I did a search, and really didn't find any answers.

What I want to know is what length stem should I get when I install a Surly Torsion Bar? Right now I use a 90mm stem, and I'm sure I'll need a longer one with the 15 degree sweep. I'd like to order them both at the same time, and I can't decide without seeing it.

mtbr member
    so go look at some. take your current bars with you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kbollox
    so go look at some. take your current bars with you.
    If it were only that easy. All the shops around here cater to comfort/hybrid riders.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    When I switched to the soma noahs arc, I got a 20mm longer stem. But I dont know if it has more sweep than the surly.
    check it out:
    http://somafab.com/arcbar.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    All I can say is "don't use a thompson stem with it"! at least thats what quality bikes who owns surly says.

I had torsion that ended up crimping in the middle. They wouldn't warranty it because I used a thompson stem. They said the bar was not compatible with thompson. Are you kidding me? Thompson are the leaders in stems imo.

One reason why i'm ditching my three beloved surlys for an American made stead.

Screw quality bikes! you big corporate monsters!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

t-bar = 666 = good

the bar is wide
    the bar is flat
    the bar is black (if you want it to be)
    the bar is made by one of the best component manufactures out there
    hack mechanics should not install components their teeth are counting on

in closing, if you are going to hate on a company don't do it in their forum
    ...how wide is that bar?....who's got your nose?
    beware of the man with one bike, he may know how to use it

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My 18 inch KM SS complete came with torsion bars and a too short 100 mm stem, swaped out for a 120 Titec and all is good.....

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    I have a very hard time believing that under normal use a thompson semt was able to crimp a steel handlebar made by one of the biggest and certainly one of the most venerable/best handlebar manufacturers around.

Nitto's steel stuff is incredibly strong, and Thompson stems are not known to be problematic (quite the opposite). Sounds like something else was going on, which is probably what Surly thought too, hence the reluctance to warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson1417
    All I can say is "don't use a thompson stem with it"! at least thats what quality bikes who owns surly says.

I had torsion that ended up crimping in the middle. They wouldn't warranty it because I used a thompson stem. They said the bar was not compatible with thompson. Are you kidding me? Thompson are the leaders in stems imo.

One reason why i'm ditching my three beloved surlys for an American made stead.

Screw quality bikes! you big corporate monsters!!!

default title
    Try it first with your exiting stem and go from there. The Torsion bars tend to get rotated forward so the bends are more up than they are back, so extra rearward extension ends up not being so drastic.

I dimpled mine a little with a Truvativ Team stem. No biggie; it's steal and it's thick. Doesn't worry me in the least.

I don't care for the bar ultimately, I can't get comfortable on it and it's far too stiff for my fully rigid taste.
    ___
    _