Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Today is WEDNESDAY!

And here's something new from Surly...
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I saw that! Blog says it's now active on website but it's not there yet. I also don't get their little blurb about the name of the bike. It must be some common culture reference I'm not familiar with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I saw that! Blog says it's now active on website but it's not there yet. I also don't get their little blurb about the name of the bike. It must be some common culture reference I'm not familiar with.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Addams_Family

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Wow. I haven't seen an Addams Family episode since the 70's and I think the only character name I ever knew was Lurch and that's only because of John Kerry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Also,
    New Disc Trucker Color = Blue
    New Straggler Color = Mint

mtbr member
    First thing I thought of after the adams family reference was the bikesdirect Lurch fatbike. I wonder if this was a subtle jab at Surly by BD, or just coincidence.

I could see future bikes getting the names "Fester", "Mortitia", or "Thing". I cannot see a bike called the "Gomez" though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    First thing I thought of after the adams family reference was the bikesdirect Lurch fatbike. I wonder if this was a subtle jab at Surly by BD, or just coincidence.

I could see future bikes getting the names "Fester", "Mortitia", or "Thing". I cannot see a bike called the "Gomez" though.
    The BD fatbikes' names are sometimes thematically similar to the original fat bikes they are possibly based on:

Pugsley - Lurch
    Fatboy - Sturgis and Nighttrain
    Borealis - Boris, not sure about this one
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Never picked up on the Fatboy/Sturgis/Night Train thing before. Didn't even know there was a Night Train motorcycle till I just googled it.

mtbr member
    Anyone know what the MSRP of the Wednesday will be?
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Saw it listed on Fat-Bike.com at 1499.

Is this one added to "the list" yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    Saw it listed on Fat-Bike.com at 1499.

Is this one added to "the list" yet?
    It is now! Not a great option for tall people with legs. Neither is the ICT though, and I'm riding that.
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

Cool. I would still opt for the ICT, but still a nice option. Wonder if it will have MDS dropouts. (Pictures show Pug drops).

Can't wait for Uncle Fester to come out.

EDIT: Looks like yet another dropout system. "We gave Wednesday its very own dropout design as well – a rear-facing, slotted dropout that can use either 10mm or 12mm axles and exit rearward or vertically. They’re cast steel and spaced at 170/177mm."

mtbr member
    A Fester drop bar mtn bike would. Be a nice addition to the Surly family. There's also a new HB up on the site--the Cheater. Meh.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    It is now! Not a great option for tall people with legs. Neither is the ICT though, and I'm riding that.
    I was hoping for an XXL. At least the didn't go the XLL route which makes very little sense to me.

I'm liking the threaded bb and tubeless ready rims. Puts it high on my list.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    I swear you're all a bunch of Surly noobs, at least cut and paste the article in here?

Wednesday: New Bike, Same Old Hump Day
    posted by Boliver and Company
    Wednesday, August 26th, 2015

You heard it right. New bike day has dawned at Surly Intergalactic Regional HQ with the unveiling of Wednesday... the bike not the day. It's called Wednesday. You know, cuz Pugsley. Get it? You might be wondering what this new bike is all about and that's why I am writing this blog. We've had this bike in development for a good long time and a lot of thought was put into this frame. That's what we do here, put lots of thought into frame design. People might look at the Wednesday and easily come to the conclusion that this frame is simply a Pugsley with a symmetrical rear end but those poeple would not be doing justice to the bike. The truth about Wednesday—the bike, not the day—is that it is the latest iteration of thought from people that have been designing Omniterra bikes for a very, very long time. There's a lot of nuance and nerdery in this frame that I'd like to point out, and I'm going to do that by showing where it sits compared to the Pugsley and Ice Cream Truck. A lot of people are familiar with those bikes so lets have a look.

The idea with this bike was a do all machine, like the Pugsley, that uses a symetrical rear end and and front fork that also takes advantage of all the new ideas about trail geoemtry and the technology that has become available for Omniterra bikes. We are specing our new tubeless compatible 'My Other Brother Darryl' rims on this bike, along with a 44mm headtube and 26 x 3.8 Nate tires. It's pretty rad. Check the stats below.

Wednesday:

177mm centered rear spacing

100mm threaded BB shell

Adjustable 435 – 455mm rear stays

69 deg Head tube angle rigid / 68 deg Head tube angle with 100mm travel suspension fork

44mm Head Tube / Bluto Clearance on down tube

Room for 4.6" tires on 80mm rims

150 x 15mm thru axle Rigid Fork with dual Anything Cage mounts

30.9mm Seat Tube with internal dropper routing

Tubeless Compatible Surly MyOBD rims

Cast one piece thru axle dropout

Compatible with 10mm QR wheels with Surly adaptors

How it’s different from the Pugsley:

Centered 177mm vs 135mm offset rear spacing

Stronger frame, but not much heavier

Bluto compatible

Thru axle compatible

More ‘neutral’ MTB Geometry vs ‘classic’ XC Geo

Internal cable routing for a dropper post

Increased tire clearance—will fit 4.6" tires on 80mm rims @ 445mm RC (10mm back in dropout)

435–455mm (Wed) vs 448-473mm (Pug) chainstay length

Longer Effective Top Tube measurement

Increased standover (shorter seat tubes, seat tube gusset)

How it’s different from the ICT:

177mm centered vs 197mm centered rear spacing

Cast Thru axle dropout vs MDS system

100mm threaded BB shell vs 132mm pressfit

Less tire clearance

Lighter, more traditional tubeset, smaller stays, more forgiving ride

Shorter Wheelbase (435mm vs 450 RC and 69 vs 68 HTA)

Internal Dropper Routing

Shorter Rigid Fork

Same standover, no seat tube gusset (slightly shorter seat tube)

As you can see, our engineers have made a true Swiss Army Omniterra bike with Wednesday. You want a bike you can take out on a long bikepacking excursion? Run it with the rigid fork and you have brazeons aplenty with a quicker handling, 69 degree headangle and neutral trail geometry. Want to take it out to the trails and get all rad? Stick a bluto on it and you've got a bike that can shred with the likes of the Ice Cream Truck. It can swing bikepacking, trail riding, however you decide to do it. And furthermore, you'll be super happy because you'll be riding a bike and doing fun shit.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Now for the action shots:

Here's one of our enginerds running the Wednesday down a ski hill just outside Minneapolis. One of the best features of the Wednesday is it's ability to have a 68 degree head angle when you use a 100mm bluto or run the rigid fork with a 69 degree head angle. It can run 3.8 to 4.6" tires on 80mm rims, has internal dropper post cable routing, brazeons everywhere and has horizontal sliding dropouts so you can adjust chainstay length.

Andy absolutely hates it when his tires are on the ground – he always says, 'it's not natural,' then looks all dejected and bummed out by the thought of his tires touching the dirt.

This thing is live on the website now so you can check out all the details. MSRP on this puppy is a paltry 1500.00USD so it's a pretty cheap ticket to ride. We'll have them in stock late Oct./early Nov. so head to your local bike shop and ask them for one, then start counting the days.

Now go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    was thinking about RH rims for my Pug, but at $1K they make me think I should just buy a Wednesday (when I can get it in Black) and sell my '14 Pug.

Time will tell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yeah, man! I like it! A to think that I almost pulled the trigger yesterday on my RH order.
    I'm going to order a frame through my local LBS, and build mine up custom with a new Alfine 8-spd IGH.
    I'll be gettin' two wheelsets, one of them RHs.

I'm not selling my Pugsley, though. Its just as awesome today as it was yesterday. I had been wishing for a "symmetrical Pugs," so it looks like this beggar will be riding one!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Whoa, Nellie! I just remembered that an A-8 IGH is for 135mm spacing. Might not work in the Wednesday. Hmmm...spacers?...(must go measure axle length)...
    I know that the new Rohloff XL Speedhub is designed for 170 mm spacing. Might be the only IGH choice for this frame.

mtbr member
    I think, there's nothing beat the Krampug,
    You got 2 bikes with one frame using old-standard parts ;-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm in favor of renaming the Krampug. Nothing really Kram about it. 50mm rims, Rabbit Holes in a lot of cases, do not make a Krampus. Sure Krampus was first to sport those wheels but...looking at the frames maybe the PugslECR is a better choice.

Not that should need to be said but of course I'm kidding.

The real question is do 29+ wheels fit in the Wed?

mtbr member
    bThe real question is do 29+ wheels fit in the Wed?
    That leads to my next question which you ask below...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yep! This is true! I apologized to my Pugs on this evening's sunset ride, although I protested that I was merely looking...like any normal red-blooded fatbiker!
    I promised her that I'd order the Rabbit Holes and the new A-8. We ended up having a nice ride.
    There was an endless line of seabirds flying from south to north, just outside of the surf line. I'm talking a solid string of birds at least 20 miles long (maybe twice that!) and flying by at an average rate of about 100 birds per second. I've seen this before here on the WA coast, every year about this time. It stretches from the Long Beach Peninsula and streams northward over the mouth of Willapa Bay, north along the beaches here in Grayland, stretching across the mouth of Grays Harbor and north to Ocean Shores and beyond up the North Beaches...who knows how far....an amazing phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    I think, there's nothing beat the Krampug,
    You got 2 bikes with one frame using old-standard parts ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlutonicPlague View Post
    There was an endless line of seabirds flying from south to north, just outside of the surf line. I'm talking a solid string of birds at least 20 miles long (maybe twice that!) and flying by at an average rate of about 100 birds per second.
    I'd love to see a picture of that.
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The real question is do 29+ wheels fit in the Wed?
    Surly state 26*4.6 tyres fit with the wheel pulled back, not sure exactly how that translates to 29+ but must be close?
    I own a Surly, a Surly, a Surly and a Salsa. Probably some others in there too at the bottom of the pile.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by PlutonicPlague View Post
    Yep! This is true! I apologized to my Pugs on this evening's sunset ride, although I protested that I was merely looking...like any normal red-blooded fatbiker!
    I promised her that I'd order the Rabbit Holes and the new A-8. We ended up having a nice ride....
    That's really funny. I got home from a short trip, looked at my Pug and also decided to order the RH rims. I felt guilty for being drawn to the new, Bluto-compatible Wednesday so easily without exploring the full enjoyment of my Pug.
    Last edited by homebrewtim; 08-27-2015 at 01:15 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm confused.

Rolling Darryl rims are 82mm wide.

Is Surly telling us "My Other Brother Darryl" rims are only going to be 80mm wide?

Surly has the MOBD rims on their website, but no specs on dimensions under the wheels section of the website.

I'd like to take my RDs from my 907 and put them on the Wed., but won't do it if it won't take 82mm wide rims.
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Want this bad. Looking for a replacement for my now gone Krampus. Would probably SS it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Rabbit Holes Will Fit in Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by dickyelsdon View Post
    Surly state 26*4.6 tyres fit with the wheel pulled back, not sure exactly how that translates to 29+ but must be close?
    Yes rabbit holes fit, per Surly.
    Name:  2015-08-27_16-51-09.jpg
Views: 6070
Size:  17.7 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SwillyBear View Post
    Yes rabbit holes fit, per Surly.
    Name:  2015-08-27_16-51-09.jpg
Views: 6070
Size:  17.7 KB
    RH's and Knards come 26" or 29", I wonder if the Surly guy assumed 26"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigBuckets View Post
    RH's and Knards come 26" or 29", I wonder if the Surly guy assumed 26"
    If it can fit 26x4.6 it can almost certainly fit 29x3. Not much to worry about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    If it can fit 26x4.6 it can almost certainly fit 29x3. Not much to worry about.
    This is probably right but after Trek (likely fibbing) told me 29+ won't fit the new Farley one can't be positive until it is done.

Surly sells us on versatility then fails to mention other popular wheel sizes that fit. No doubt they have tried it, why not include that info upfront?

mtbr member
    This is probably right but after Trek (likely fibbing) told me 29+ won't fit the new Farley one can't be positive until it is done.

Surly sells us on versatility then fails to mention other popular wheel sizes that fit. No doubt they have tried it, why not include that info upfront?
    It's either Surly don't want to over-commit or just playing safe on something not within the original intention of the bike.

another example is the disk trucker, it has now a mounting hole for a Rohloff but it is not mentioned on their website...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jddjirikian View Post
    I'm confused.

Rolling Darryl rims are 82mm wide.

Is Surly telling us "My Other Brother Darryl" rims are only going to be 80mm wide?

Surly has the MOBD rims on their website, but no specs on dimensions under the wheels section of the website.

I'd like to take my RDs from my 907 and put them on the Wed., but won't do it if it won't take 82mm wide rims.
    Really?! its 2mm mate, apply some common sense to that post and have another think.
    I own a Surly, a Surly, a Surly and a Salsa. Probably some others in there too at the bottom of the pile.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Very cool bike! Can't wait to read some real world impressions.

I also noticed this is Surly's first mountain bike frame in a long time without the diagonal brace between the seattube and toptube. Looks real nice!
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Universal Cycles has the frames and bikes listed but they aren't available. Both are priced reasonably.

I'm pretty happy with my Krampus but still would love to have one of these and then make my Krampus a SS.

Given the price of the complete--$1499--who would buy a Pugsley. Or even Moonlander?
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    who would buy a Pugsley. Or even Moonlander?
    I think Pugs is still the tinkerer's choice since you can build it up with old 135mm hubs and whatever else you have laying around. Also, the ability of Pugs to use the front wheel as an emergency fixed gear drive still has value for the extreme adventure set. I could see Surly dropping it to frame-only, like the 1x1.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    I think Pugs is still the tinkerer's choice since you can build it up with old 135mm hubs and whatever else you have laying around. Also, the ability of Pugs to use the front wheel as an emergency fixed gear drive still has value for the extreme adventure set. I could see Surly dropping it to frame-only, like the 1x1.
    You know, I've had a slow day here at work and a fair amount of time to putz around on the Internet. I tend to agree with you. I've said it multiple times but the $275 price for a Pugs frame is mighty tempting. And as you point out, building it up with the offset fork is nice. 135mm Deore hubs are certainly cheaper than the hubs you'd need to build up a wheelset for the Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    It's either Surly don't want to over-commit or just playing safe on something not within the original intention of the bike.

another example is the disk trucker, it has now a mounting hole for a Rohloff but it is not mentioned on their website...
    Sure, but Salsa is now listing all possible options with their bikes. Kinda handy and it seems easy enough.

Why not mention what could be a big selling point?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    some/lots more info on the wedneday:

WEDNESDAY FAQ | Blog | Surly Bikes

some highlights:

Why the 4.6" tire clearance rating?

4.6” is the biggest tire we could fit with legal clearance on an 80mm rim with a 100mm threaded shell and 177mm rear spacing at a tasty chainstay length. And 4.6” tires happen to kick ass. Win!

What’s up with that new dropout? Still with the Track Ends???

It’s a horizontal dropout designed around a 12mm through axle hub. At first glance it looks like a thru-axle version of the Karate Monkey dropout. But if you can get a better look at it, you’ll see an additional hub slot that lets you dump your wheel out vertically once your axle is removed.

Why a 468mm rigid fork length?

The 468mm rigid fork length was chosen because it was a little bit shorter than the 100mm suspension fork the bike was designed around. This difference in fork length allows the Wednesday to ride totally kick ass as a rigid bike OR with a 100mm suspension fork.

What's up with these new tubeless My Other Brother Daryl Rims?

These are our new 80mm-wide tubeless compatible rims. What makes them tubeless compatible? Well, lots of things! But mainly the bead hook is optimized to work with tubeless tires and the rim valley depth is much shallower to ease initial tire inflation. To all of you early tubeless adaptors: Our hats go off to you! We know how much messing around you had to do to get those old rims to seal up. These will work much better.

This bike is cheaper than your other fatbikes. How did you cut the cost?

Parts Spec: Quality fatbike parts are cheaper than they used to be. We tried everything out there and found out what works. We’ve spent a lot of time on this build kit and know it’s a great value-level kit that will last a long time.

Frame design: This frame is still hand welded by the same people who’ve always made our frames, but over the years they’ve gotten better and so have we. We’ve learned what is awesome on paper but a pain in the ass for them drives the frame price up, so we found cheaper ways to offer similar versatility. The Wednesday frame is easier to miter, fixture, weld, align, and paint than any other fatbike frame we’ve made and the price reflects that Make no mistake - this frame is every bit as tough (if not tougher) than our other frames. It offers insane versatility and should last you a long way down that dusty, snowy trail. And it's designed well enough that you should want to keep it that long, too.

mtbr member
    Curious, why this statement? The difference is 20mm, which adds up to about 1 degree less head tube angle. I can't imagine a frame (any frame, not just one made by Surly) undergoing catastrophic failure just by running the head tube 1 degree slacker than originally designed. The reason really has to do with operating the bike within the tested boundaries??

"Can I run a 120mm sus fork?

Sounds rad, right? But NO. You’ll shoot your eye out with that thing. The Wednesday frame was designed for and has passed all compliance testing at 100mm fork length, and anything longer than that is putting your warranty AND your face in jeopardy."

WEDNESDAY FAQ | Blog | Surly Bikes
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    People have been putting longer forks on XC bikes for years, some snapped others didnt. It can add quite a bit of leverage so not entirely insignificant, however given they dont tell you a max A-C length 20mm is probably within tolerance.

The testing is a legal requirement these days, they would have tested with 100mm, the frame might pass with longer fork but they havnt tested it so cannot be seen to recommend it (even Surly with their casual attitude cant go there!)

mtbr member
    Sure, understood. Off label use though...

My past experiences with bikes I've had that saw heavy mtbr commentary about front suspension travel had more to do with adjusting head tube angle than the actual travel change itself. That was almost a decade ago. The current generation hopefully has HA adjusted more towards the intended purpose. That said, the tendency still has been to go slacker and wider, even today. Not saying that the Wednesday has to fulfill that desire, but you know folks are going to try!
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I am hoping that clearance for 4.6" tires means that I can slap my Lou on the back of Wednesday, with stock Wednesday wheel, is that a safe bet, does it just go without saying (and that's why they're not saying it)? For that matter, Bud in front?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ETChipotle View Post
    I am hoping that clearance for 4.6" tires means that I can slap my Lou on the back of Wednesday, with stock Wednesday wheel, is that a safe bet, does it just go without saying (and that's why they're not saying it)? For that matter, Bud in front?
    Not sure if Lou will fit in the back but I'd be interested to know for sure too.. Have a look at this shot from Bike Rumor. The Wednesday looks like a winner to me

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdn...at-bike_-6.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    I cannot see a bike called the "Gomez" though.
    I think I might rename my khakipants LHT, Gomez.

mtbr member
    Any idea of the weight?
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2015 GT Grade 105

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    if you look at the numbers, even a 100mm travel bluto on the wednesday is going to be significantly altering the bikes geometry and ride

the stock rigid fork a 468mm long, whereas a bluto at 100mm travel is 511, or 491 with 20% sag - that's still an inch longer. run 120mm bluto and the bike's bb is going to be up around your ears.

thought surly states it was built around a 100mm travel suspension fork, by the numbers the wednesday seems like a better match for an 80mm fork, which is disappointing (for me). maybe they received feedback that the ict was too slack and low to be tourable, and they were indeed looking to split the difference between it and the pugsley, but i wish this bike had been based off that bike's geometry

Quote Originally Posted by Tincup69 View Post
    Any idea of the weight?
    framset is a full pound lighter than the ict, and the wheels should knock off a few more grams... no release figures for the whole bike, though

Rocks belong
    Question cross post from the other Wednesday thread (The day after Tuesday is Wednesday, and Pugsley has a fatter sister...)

So here's where I'm torn... (and why not solicit free, biased opinions on the interwebz to help me?!)

I want another 'trail' hardtail.
    I want it to be steel.

Some days I want a B+ hardtail so I can have a steel HT to dink around with on smoother trails or when I'm riding with my wife.

I used to think I really wanted a fat bike.

Then I owned a Framed MN 2.0 for about 6 weeks and it didn't do much for me. Mainly because it was heavy and boring (handling wise). It had a short cockpit and required a super long stem. It had a crap build kit. Oh, and it had Vee Missions Fr/Rr, which pretty much sucked everywhere. I was happy when it sold.

Last winter I demoed a rigid Mukluk for a day and it didn't do much for me. But we were on a FS road in kinda loose, kinda crappy snow. The day was a slow, painful slog fest of riding on snowmobile trails and FS roads. The bike had Nates fr/rr and it was slow and heavy. We had about 1-2 miles (max) of 'trail' at the end, but by that point, I was done.

But, to get back to today, I want a crappy weather/4 season bike. And I want a trail, steel HT for mixing up in the summer time (and I like having two bikes). We're not getting ski passes this year, so I won't be skiing as much, so I hope to be able to ride more on Sundays.

Denver/Golden's trails don't hold much snow. To get to actual 'snow' rides, you usually have to go about an hour west (or more). You can ride normal rides on a trail bike, but when we do get snow, it gets packed into an icy, white ribbon of death that doesn't melt till spring.

If I bought a Wednesday, it would primarily be ridden as a 2.8" B+ bike. I would build up a 2nd set of wheels with 4" tires for snow usage.

So, I guess to make this question short:

Do you think the Wednesday would be a fun, steel, 2.8" B+ trail bike (that could also be used as a fat bike when conditions warrant?)

Surly seems to market it as such, but then says you'll die a fiery death if you run a 120mm fork on it.

Honestly, I'm not looking to jump it hard. I'm looking for a fun bike that can be ridden over rougher XC trails, with rocks and roots and maybe 1-3' drops/water bars/rocks from time to time.

(I used to ride the terrain that I described above, on a Giant Anthem 29er. It was fun, but I felt like it was going to break under aggressive riding... so I sold it.)
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Do you think the Wednesday would be a fun, steel, 2.8" B+ trail bike (that could also be used as a fat bike when conditions warrant?)
    in most of the the bc interior, sure. i rode my hardtail this summer in fernie, the okanagan, revy, etc. and never felt outgunned

on the shore or other bc areas with realy technical riding, sadly, no. i feel like 100 travel is the least one could get away with, even on a steel fatbike, and as i posted earlier i think that much travel would compromise the wednesday's already not-totally-optimal numbers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i'm confused. everything i've seen from surly so far speaks to a 69* HTA

but two recently released pieces present different numbers:

this guys says the HTA is 68.5*

while bikeradar lauds its relaxed 68* HTA

sloppy "journalism"?

from surly. clarifies thing somewhat. and the bb numbers with bluto don't look too bad there...

Today is WEDNESDAY!-surly_wednesday_geo_comparison.jpg
    Last edited by boomforeal; 10-02-2015 at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member
    guys seriously looking to swap my on-one fatty to this qns is does it for a 29+ with the chainstay pull to the max it says it does fit a 4.7 on a 80mm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Somebody should have this bike soon...didn't Surly say mid-October?

mtbr member
    Late October - Early November

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Just because this thread reminded me - would someone want to help explain, to the non-technically-inclined, what the differences are between all the various fatbike frames Surly is now offering? Geometry in terms of numbers of degrees is pretty much meaningless to me and so are variations on hub width, to say nothing of all the other details.

They've got 4 frames available now and I keep wondering - why so many? Other than some allowing wider tires, what's the actual difference in how they ride?

FWIW I've got an older model Pugsley and used to have a Troll, so comparisons to those bikes are handy!
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

mtbr member
    Honestly, they're all bikes and are fun to ride. Some (Moonlander and ICT) take fatter tires than the others, and others (Pugsley) are more versatile and can accommodate different builds the others can't. Some (ICT and Wednesday) have newer designs that make them a bit easier to control, and more capable for trail riding.

I think we - the bike community - can get too detail oriented at times. They're all awesome bikes that take fat tires and have bulletproof steel frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ah yeah, I remember how the Pugsley is set up to be extra-adaptable in terms of parts. I guess what I don't get is why there are three different models geared toward the fattest tires possible - what's really the difference, other than to broaden the market appeal through wide selection?
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Once they are available I'd be happy to buy someones stock fork. Hoping to put one on my ECR, still with 29+, but with a thru-axle and wider hub.

Remember, sell me your stock Wednesday fork.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Anybody got info on the complete bike weight, please post here ASAP

TIA
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I think frame/fork weight was posted on the Surly Blog. That is a good start.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I don't build bikes for a living, so I'm not debating the value, but why the difference in price between the Wed. and the ICT? The frame is *basically* the same, both steel and that's the biggest difference normally... alloy vs carbon for example. But here, apples are truly apples. It sounds like Surly has streamlined the production process of the Wed., but does that account for the difference? I feel like I'm missing something.
    Last edited by Nathan Otis; 10-21-2015 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling is hard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Frame only prices are not that different. Heard one of the Surly dudes mention that the ICT has more "fluting" and the WED. is a bit more basic straight tubes.

Baby Bear is in the house
    I think frame/fork weight was posted on the Surly Blog. That is a good start.
    I've seen that, thanks.

I don't have the stock weights of the other two bikes so can't use those as a reference. Was hoping somebody (e.g., bike shop/dealer) already had one and could weigh it.

I'm really digging this bike.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Frame only prices are not that different. Heard one of the Surly dudes mention that the ICT has more "fluting" and the WED. is a bit more basic straight tubes.
    So it's truly more about how it's kitted out than the frame itself. I gotcha.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    I've seen that, thanks.

I don't have the stock weights of the other two bikes so can't use those as a reference. Was hoping somebody (e.g., bike shop/dealer) already had one and could weigh it.

I'm really digging this bike.

If you are indeed digging it and you know the frame weight I'd say good enough. No need to weigh anything more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Otis View Post
    So it's truly more about how it's kitted out than the frame itself. I gotcha.
    Not quite. I'd say not even close given that on spec they are completely different platforms, but for one, just look at the rear dropouts. Modular chip vs. regular Surly track drop.

There also is more to that ICT frameset than just a bit of fluting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    ICT frame is more expensive due to a variety things but the dangly bits (shifters/brakes/etc) make up a good bit of difference in the completes. That was my point.

175 dollars difference in frame price. 900 dollar difference in price for complete.

Fluting was the example Surly gave, I passed it along in place of a thorough rundown of frames because it is easier.

Broke my toe yesterday so I'm cranky. Should be riding again next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmonkey View Post
    Not quite. ... There also is more to that ICT frameset than just a bit of fluting.
    Care to expand on that, or is it more of a ride-it-and-you'll-see situation?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I believe the ICT is also triple-butted. Had one for a bit, and from the bottom bracket on up it's built like a tank, with stays optimized very nicely for maximum 5" tire clearance and a stiff, short rear. As far as ride feel, it felt like a rock compared to my Pugsley. All for good, and I think the Pug rides nice. ICT geo is great. Functionality is great.

I think there's ~1.5# diff between the two framesets and also 170 vs 190 q-factor to consider. Wednesday has internal dropper routing and mebbe more braze ons or some other extra voodoo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    For my money I'm going with the Prince Wednesday. Threaded bb, smaller q factor, cool "new" dropouts, braze-ons. Seems to find the middle ground between Pugs and ICT according to all the info on Surly's blog.

I'll be going SS and adding a 29+ wheelset to the mix. That along with my geared ECR and I'll be set. Got my Larry vs Harry for road/town duty.

Toe is feeling better.

mtbr member
    I've admired Surly for a long time and have a feeling my next bike will be a Wednesday. Just wish there were some decent reviews out there and I hope the local Surly dealer will have some for demo soon. I ride year round in Colorado Springs on skinny bikes but I'm looking forward to being less limited during and right after storms and having more grip on packed trails. I demoed a Moonlander on packed snow last year (wanted to try the ICT but they were all out) but was wishing for a little more relaxed geo and lighter weight the whole time. I think the Wednesday will fit the bill without making my wife freak out about the price for a 3rd bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Even with my 29+ I've removed lots of limitations. Not necessarily storm related but I now ride anywhere I want. Open desert, slick rock, dry washes, rocky peaks it all rideable. Singletrack is used as a fun bit on the way out of town.

Wed won't be a lot lighter than the Moonie but the geo should be what you want.

Looks like we'll be getting reviews soon. Might have bikes hitting the dirt next week.

Remember to sell me your stock fork.

mtbr member
    Seems like it would have noticeably less rotating weight even if not a lot lighter overall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Potentially less rotating weight for sure. The MyOBD rims are 270 grams lighter than the Moonie and no split tube needed. That weight difference is almost erased by the massively heavy 27tpi Nates that are stock on the Wed. Once those wear out (or are given to a less fortunate person) and are replaced by a lighter tires you'd be rockin.

Maybe a touch lighter for the frame but not likely enough to matter.

mtbr member
    Looks like Wednesday has arrived.

Blog | Surly Bikes

mtbr member
    Potentially less rotating weight for sure. The MyOBD rims are 270 grams lighter than the Moonie and no split tube needed. That weight difference is almost erased by the massively heavy 27tpi Nates that are stock on the Wed. Once those wear out (or are given to a less fortunate person) and are replaced by a lighter tires you'd be rockin.

Maybe a touch lighter for the frame but not likely enough to matter.
    Gotcha, I hadn't looked at the tire weights.

mtbr member
    For my money I'm going with the Prince Wednesday.
    Nice Mr. Rogers/Daniel Tiger reference.

Excited to see these bikes start to pop up on the forums.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Surly reports they are shipping complete bikes. Anyone got one coming?
    Would love to hear comments.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Poked around at a couple on Saturday. One of my local shops had three in stock and they are all sold already, all had sold tags. I was looking at them while getting my new pugsley's steerer tube cut.
    Last edited by Mr Pink57; 10-28-2015 at 06:53 AM.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've got more. "you gotta find a way to help...each other"

So remember I'd happily purchase a stock Wed. fork from the first sucker you gets a Bluetoe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thinking of pulling the trigger on this or SS Pug tomorrow. Can't decide. I'd add a drivetrain to SS for worst of winter. Possibly add a Heller fork to Wednesday (Matterhorn FYI).

mtbr member
    Well, I got a deal on a lightly used ICT that I could not refuse, so no Wednesday for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Can't wait to try one of these. Thinking I would use it more than the new Honzo I just bought.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Being a True Blue Pug owner, I just don't like the sisified colors Surly is coming out with.
    I'd buy a Wed (or frame) if I could sell my Pug but I'd have to paint the damn thing.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Clobber View Post
    Thinking of pulling the trigger on this or SS Pug tomorrow. Can't decide. I'd add a drivetrain to SS for worst of winter. Possibly add a Heller fork to Wednesday (Matterhorn FYI).
    If you want to ride this winter, the choice is clear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Went to LBS on Wednesday & the Wednesday is already sold out. Ordered the SS Pug.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodo View Post
    Surly reports they are shipping complete bikes. Anyone got one coming?
    Would love to hear comments.
    Don't have one but saw one in the flesh today. Very nice and typical quality Surly build. I also saw one of the Giant fat bikes. Not at all bad for $600.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Does anyone know if a 27.5x4 wheel will fit in the Wednesday?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My frameset should be here Monday or Tuesday. Will be transferring parts from my Mukluk and should have it built up by Wednesday.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Were you able to order a frameset? I heard frames were not available until the end of December.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldens Lowe View Post
    Were you able to order a frameset? I heard frames were not available until the end of December.
    Correct, they won't be available until late December. I was lucky to get an early frameset since I work at a shop that sells a lot of Surly products. There are currently completes out in the wild at certain dealers as well, with more coming 12/4.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Pictures!

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    should have it built up by Wednesday.
    Ha!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Cool. I hope you'll build it up and give us a ride report. I just placed my order for a frameset - I hope to get it for Christmas!

Here's my thought on the Wednesday. There has been a relative lack of standards for fatbikes in the early days but things are likely to settle out on a 190 (197) platform and a 170 platform. Riders may choose a platform based on a need for maximum float nor not.

There seem to be a lot more options for 190 than 170 right now but I somehow suspect as the sector matures there will be more 170 options. The Wednesday may be leading the way. They're also putting a little "trail" into this bike with geometry, dropper routing, lighter rims, and a headtube and hubs that allow for a Bluto.

The downside is that it will be a bit heavy compared to carbon options, but for the price and potential versatility, I'd like to find out what it can do.

Of course, I could be wrong and please - nobody order one until I get mine.

#THELEGEND
    Something to keep in mind for anyone planning on ordering a Wednesday the seat tube measurement on surly's site is misleading. The measurement on the site is only from bb center to top tube so there is about 1.5" more to their measurement. So a large with a 18.3 seat tube is actually @ 19.8. Just thought it worth a mention.

Edit: Seems what I was told my surly may not be completely true at least for the XL frame. Another mtbr member measured his XL at 20.5".
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 11-29-2015 at 01:29 AM.
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Something to keep in mind for anyone planning on ordering a Wednesday the seat tube measurement on surly's site is misleading. The measurement on the site is only from bb center to top tube so there is about 1.5" more to their measurement. So a large with a 18.3 seat tube is actually @ 19.8. Just thought it worth a mention.
    This has bit me before on a Surly...

Did I catch a niner+?
    One of the locals here sold his carbon beargrease to get a Wednesday. He just wanted it that bad. He is putting a set of Lamere rims on it that he had already owned, it will I imagine by the time he is done one of the lightest Wednesday's.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    This was a frustrating part for me as well. The medium shows as a 16.3" seat tube and that wouldn't work for me. We'll see what it actually measures when it arrives...still waiting!
    Jason

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    One of the locals here sold his carbon beargrease to get a Wednesday. He just wanted it that bad. He is putting a set of Lamere rims on it that he had already owned, it will I imagine by the time he is done one of the lightest Wednesday's.
    No F's will be given about the weight of mine. I'm using the wheelset/drivetrain/cockpit from my Mukluk, which was at 28.9lbs with pedals. The Wednesday will also get a dropper post and Flow/DunderBeists instead of Bulldozers. I'd be happy with 33lbs or less, which seems reasonable.
    Jason

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    No F's will be given about the weight of mine. I'm using the wheelset/drivetrain/cockpit from my Mukluk, which was at 28.9lbs with pedals. The Wednesday will also get a dropper post and Flow/DunderBeists instead of Bulldozers. I'd be happy with 33lbs or less, which seems reasonable.
    Highly recommend the 9point8 Fall Line dropper. Works down to -25F! No hydraulics to get all funky in cold weather.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast