Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Thread holding in Surly Ogre brake bosses.

8K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  highplainsrider 
#1 ·
Hi,
I want to remove the brake bosses and replace with stainless steel allen-key head bolts like the rest of my forks "warts".
I went to the fasteners (hardware store) today and the young fella couldn't identify the thread used on the bosses which I had the foresight (I thought) to take in with me in case of any issue.:madman:
I had to leave empty handed.
Does anyone here know for definite what thread Surly uses for attaching their Ogre brake bosses to their frames?
Cheers for any help on this.:thumbsup:

#2 ·
No bites?
Well not a problem.
I just got an email from Ben Oliver at Surly kindly informing me that M10x1mm threading are the fittings I’ll need to plug those holes.
I got a fast response to my inquiry from Surly, which made my day, unlike many manufacturers I've had to contact over the years with technical questions.

#4 ·
Good question BareNecessities as when I asked Surly I only mentioned the forks.
The answer to your question is yes as that is the size for the fork bosses.
Turns out its a painful choice for consumers of the Surly product as its not easy to get a well fitting plug.
All of the available plugs I've seen so far use a thread pitch of 1.25mm where Surly uses 1mm.
Theres no decent machine shops near where I live so I'll be trawling the net for someone whose solved this with something other than silicon or a rubber or plastic plug.
I really would like a stainless steel allen-key headed bolt to match the rest of the "warts" on my forks.

#8 ·
So far, all the readily available brake boss plugs I've found online, including Problem Solvers, use a thread pitch of 1.25mm which is not suitable for a Surly. Surly uses 1mm for their frames with removable brake bosses. 1mm is not a common pitch it appears. The easy answer is the plastic or rubber bungs/boss plugs but they are not something that would ever be first choice on my bike. I'll pay what I have to to get a stainless allenkey head bolt to match the rest of the warts on the fork even if it means paying over the odds for a machine shop to make me some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.