mtbr member

Tektro RL520 Should Marry ...?

G'day

I have decided to upgrade my standard brakes on my Surly Long Haul Trucker with Tektro RL520 levers as suggested frequently here and elsewhere.

My question is to which v-brake to marry them to. From what I have read the Tektro 857AL has been the recommend v-brake in the past in part because of the mudguard clearance (I have mudguards on the Surly). Is this still the best option?

Also I assume that with the levers and v-brakes there are no other components required for a retro fit?

Thanks
    Andrew

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Have you considered the TRP CX-9 mini Vs? I just built a Crosscheck for a friend and used the CX-9s. They seem pretty powerful and work with regular drop bar levers. Much better than cantilevers.

But anyway, yes, all you need are levers that match the brake pull. I don't see how any particular V-brake will have more clearance for fenders than others, they all seem to be about the same shape. I used Avid V-brakes on my Crosscheck and LHT and they worked well. No problems fitting SKS P35 fenders under them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    I don't see how any particular V-brake will have more clearance for fenders than others, they all seem to be about the same shape. I used Avid V-brakes on my Crosscheck and LHT and they worked well. No problems fitting SKS P35 fenders under them.
    Same here.

I do prefer full-Vs to minis, but the one time I had minis I also had a wheel way prone to going out of true, which minis are highly sensitive to. Full Vs are pretty bomb-proof and I am not sure how different any one is from another.