mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here. tab on Pugsley bottom bracket

On the Pugsley BB there is a tab that sticks up about 1" on the chainring side (right side). I am guessing this has something to do with the E-type front derailleur. I've seen the E-type FD and the mounting plate that goes behind the BB cup, so what is that tab for? I've been going through the various Pugs threads looking for photos, but I haven't found any that have a clear shot of that area to see what is going on.

I'm currently building up my Pugsley, and I have never seen another one up close, or seen an E-type FD to see what is needed to mount one.

Thanks,

andy b.
    Main Ride: 2015 Trek Superfly FS 9.7 SL
    Other bikes in the stable: '11 Pugsley, '97 Uber V conversion

Down South Yooper
    should be a stabilizer for the e-mount derailleur, to keep it from flexing, rotating, etc.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

Devo
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    should be a stabilizer for the e-mount derailleur, to keep it from flexing, rotating, etc.

Plum
    exactly: its an E-type derailleur mounting tab
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here.

So if I'm going to mount a front derailleur on my Pugs then the mounting bracket that goes behind the BB end cup is still used and the derailleur also mounts to that tab? When my FD arrives, will all of this be obvious?

Thanks again,

andy b.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    yeap...it'll be kind of obvious...

big hole on the BB and the small hole above to fix it on the tab you mentioned

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Good job!

Thanks guys!!!! The E FD arrived today, and yes, it is very obvious. What I didn't understand was that on a "normal" bike, there is an insert sort of like a water bottle cage mount that a screw goes into to hold the FD in place. Now I understand how all of this mounts. I was originally just going to go with a 1x9 setup, but my crankset came with two chainrings, my shifters came as a front and rear pair, and I found an awesome deal on an E FD, so I figured what the heck, I'll go with a 2x9 setup. It isn't like I'm trying to shave ounces off of this bike. I will hopefully have the final few pieces next week, and then I'll be ready to go for the maiden voyage!!!!!!

andy b.