mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Suspension fork for Surly Ogre - suggestions please

Any suggestions regarding a suitable suspension fork for a Surly Ogre 20" would be much appreciated. Looking for one that is reliable, easily available and decent value for money. Cheaper is better but reliability and quality is key.

I will be getting one of these as my first 29er, so I know nothing about what is good in this space. I have got a 20" Big Dummy, so I hope a 20" Ogre would work for me too (I am 6ft2". The bike will be used for mixed duties including trails, so I would prefer front suspension.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Any new(er) 80mm suspension fork will work, so long as the fork rake is around 43mm. IMO, Rock Shox Rebas are sort of the standard for dollar for dollar reliability and ease of service. If you plan to use it on and off-road, make sure you get one with a lockout function.

Other than that, it depends on how much you want to spend.
    Enjoy the ride!

I Ride for Donuts
    I would look at size... I'm 6'2" and I'm pretty confident now that the 22 is where it's at, based on measurements of my current bike compared to the Ogre geometry chart. . We could be built completely different, so, grain of salt...but it might not be as comprable to the Big Dummy.

Also, I have a Reba 'race' model with Motion Control and lockout... love it, no complaints. It's a bit flexier than my friend's Fox, but I have no complaints.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I was looking at an Ogre and bought a RS Reba RLT 80/100mm fork. I ended up putting it on an On One Scandal instead, but it's working great. My buddy has one that's a few years old and going strong.

You can easily change the travel between 100mm and 80mm. If it comes at 100mm I'd just give that a shot and see what you think. Then if you want to lower the front end you can drop it to 80mm.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    At my local REI scratch and dent last weekend they went a little crazy and had a bunch of brand new parts for sale - just trying to move old inventory i suppose. I have hopes of riding the tour divide in the next few years so I've been on the lookout for a good air fork for my Ogre.

Well I didn't get one...but they did have a brand spankin new white 2012 Tora TK Coil, and for $35 (yes, $35) I couldn't not get it, right? So now I have to decide if I can deal with a cheaper (I've read all the MTBR reviews) 5 pound fork or sell it and save for nicer. I also can't find a weight for the Ogre fork anywhere online and don't have a good scale here. Wonder if they're that different...vik help.