mtbr member

Suspension fork on a Monkey?

Alright guys, time to get your help!
    doing 3000+ push ups on a monkey on every ride is starting to get too much on my ageing body

So its time to put on some suspension fork to ease it up a bit,

Current monkey fork is corrected for 80mm travel according to Surly,
    But does it mean 100mm is too much???

Please share your ride experience on your suspended Monkey,
    Thanks,

M
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    I've been nearing that point for a while, so done a lot of research on this. From what people reported in this thread it sounds like the handling is just too compromised with 100 mm travel because of the change in head tube angle. Depending on your riding style it may not matter to you but its something to keep in mind.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    i've ridden a rock shox dart3 at 100mm on it and it felt quite fine. i've toyed with throwing on my 120mm recon to see how it works out. should be ok, maybe a bit twitchy. but going 100mm was just fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    100mm forks are fine, especially if set up right with 20-25% sag when sitting normally. I used a pair of 100's on my KM and it felt just the same. Well apart from being more comfortable and easier on my old bones!

mtbr member
    At first, I think, if I need to get suspension fork, I should be long enough just in case I decided to go back to rigid and possibly move the fork to maybe another bike.

But then, I didn't realize maybe a carbon bar and bigger tires would solve my delimna and cheaper option too

Thank you Guys,
    Your inputs helps a lot
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    i did run a pro xcr 29er carbon fork on my monkey for a bit. it was amazing! so light for a front end. Maybe turn your tires tubeless, then you can run lower psi and that creates a suspension-esque feel. I've dont that. I run ignitor 2.1 tires.

mtbr member
    Make sure your KM frame is suspension fork compatible. You can tell this by checking to see if there is a gusset under the down tube/head tube junction. (2006 and later I believe)