mtbr member
    Jun 2011

suspension fork for KM? should I?

Hey Folks,
    New to internet forums and this site. I have a KM. and i am debating whether or not I want to put a suspension fork on it. I love the simplicity of the rigid fork and the handling. but i am getting my ass kicked on some trails. I like rough technical terrain. I love the stiff fork for climbing, but I am getting beaten up on some of the DH. I also hate tinkering with my bike, i am really turned off by maintanence and tuning. If i was a hunter i would use only a bow and arrow, not atv's and rifles. I am attracted to pure form, but I may be getting tendonitis in my wrists.
    I was considering the reba rlt or the manitou tower. fox is to pricey for me. The main issue is i dont want to buy a fork regret it. any thoughts?
    thanks guys.

mtbr member
    I was recently in your same situation. I've had my KM for a while, and absolutely love the way it handles rigid on climbs and steering around the trails, but I was getting a bit wiped out on the rocky sections and the downhills.
    I ended up picking up a nice hardtail, and I have to admit, as much as I love the ride of my KM, flying over the rocky sections is as much of a blast as I remember it.
    Had I not decided on a new bike, I think I would have gotten a sus fork and a matching headset plate so I could swap them back and forth. Both are great fun, and though I haven't done the KM with a fork my previous hardtails were similar and I think it would take to it very well.
    As far as forks go, I've had one of the orignial Rebas, a Manitou Minute 120mm with thru-axle, and i now have a Reba RLT set to 80mm (QR). I'd say the Manitou was my favorite, but I think it was due to the axle more than anything else. It really helped stiffen up the feel of the front end. I can definitely feel some flex and play on the RLT, but really its only noticeable if I've just been riding the KM recently. For the most part once I really get going I don't really find myself thinking about it too much. Other than the quick releases, I can't really complain about either of my Reba's, and Im a pretty big guy for what thats worth.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm in the same boat as you with my KM. I've run my 80mm reba on it a few times but have always gone back to the rigid because of the sharp handling but now I am getting tired of the beating I get on the rough downhills here in WV. The handling is still pretty good with the 80mm reba but I've these bikes don't fare well with 100mm forms because it slackens the head angle angle ruins the handling. Haven't tried it myself.
    I'm debating either getting a new hardtail that is made for 100mm fork or even try an Origin8 Black Ops carbon fork. They are said to be a lot more comfy than the km fork. I've considered a Gary Fisher or vassago or a Giant xtc but I'm afraid I will miss my km. It's a really fun ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yer-mum-was-ace View Post
    Hey Folks,
    New to internet forums and this site. I have a KM. and i am debating whether or not I want to put a suspension fork on it. I love the simplicity of the rigid fork and the handling. but i am getting my ass kicked on some trails. I like rough technical terrain. I love the stiff fork for climbing, but I am getting beaten up on some of the DH. I also hate tinkering with my bike, i am really turned off by maintanence and tuning. If i was a hunter i would use only a bow and arrow, not atv's and rifles. I am attracted to pure form, but I may be getting tendonitis in my wrists.
    I was considering the reba rlt or the manitou tower. fox is to pricey for me. The main issue is i dont want to buy a fork regret it. any thoughts?
    thanks guys.
    Keep your rigid fork and optimize other parts. As WVJon75 wrote above, a suspension fork will ruin the good handling of your Karate Monkey. If you get wrist problems, look at a different handlebar and grips. The limitation on rought DH should not be your wrists, but you arm muscles. I ride my Karate Monkey with the fantastic On One Mary Bar with about 40 (!) degree sweep an Ergon GX1 grips. OK - this looks a bit odd - but doesn't this fit perfectly to the Karate Monkey?

And what about your front tire? The bigger the better!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    How long have you been riding the rigid fork?
    I think you get used to what you ride. No matter if you are on a fully or a rigid singlespeed you tend toward your limit. My advice is give yourself a chance to appreciate the positive side of the rigid fork for a while without comparing yourself to people on suspension. Just judge your ride for what it is... If you still don't like it change it, but give yourself some time without looking to see what is better.
    You might be faster on a bike with suspension, but you won't be a better rider

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My friend has a carbon Origin8 fork that he is going to let me try on the km. I'll report back. I also have some Ragley Carnegie bars with about 30deg of sweep and they are great. The km steers like a roadbike, for better or worse but i like it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks guys. Yesterday I went on a ride with a buddy that has a 29er with Reba fork so he let me give it a go on some climbs and descents. The result... It sucked. I could not believe how sloppy it felt. I really learned to appreciate the advantages of a rigid fork. I could not believe how much my handling was compromised. So if I do anything it may be a carbon fork so I would be interested to hear more about the white bros or origin 8.
    I was so happy to get back on my rigid bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah suspension feels like crap when you stand and climb after being used to rigid, plus the KM steers road bike quick compared to some 29ers. I borrowed and installed the Origin8 carbon fork last night. i may get to ride it tonight but if not I'll ride it Saturday and report back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yer-mum-was-ace View Post
    So if I do anything it may be a carbon fork

...or cheaper: a front wheel with velocity P35 rim and 2,4" Maxxis Ardent. I ride this @ 16 psi