Thread: suspension 1x1

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

suspension 1x1

Hey I need a 'shorter' 80mm fork for my 1x1. something that does not jack the front end up. anyone have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What do you have now?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    from memory, early fox forks were touted as being really short for the travel offered.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Obi
    mtbr member
    FWIW I'm running Fox on mine @ 100mm w/ the Chris King 3+ baseplate and they handle just fine. Run a slightly shorter stem depending on the frame size (ie: Stem for me on my 14" frame's one has a 80mm and the other's a 60mm, both down from 100mm).

Green Bike='07 TALAS
    BlackBike='10/11 831 Post pics of your Surly!!!

I can give more info later, have to head out for a bit.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    currently 2002 manitou black elite air, though running rigid fork

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ok so looking for an early fox fork? what else are you guys running?

Obi
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by melvinscentral
    ok so looking for an early fox fork?
    No, just one that has a max of 100mm of travel unless you have the 2011 frame that's now corrected for 100mm standard. You're going to either hunt a ton for 80mm max or spend a load on an older fork that's outdated to make it worthy if it's seen any amount of riding. Forks have wearable items on them. Fatigue and aging happens, seals, oil, bushings, even elastomers do wear out even if just sitting around unused. Try a 100mm fork with the combo I am running or a FSA Pig headset (for lower cup height so any fork control knobs clear the downtube) and you might just like it, but what do I know.

Might want to share with us what size frame you have, what trails or conditions you plan on riding, etc-etc because you're also delving into the fit of the bike which is really subjective to the rider and terrain and how they want the bike to handle. I (think) my old posts on this topic should still be in the FAQ's above this post where I showed the average axle to crown measurements people should shoot for.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

dito...

.. I guess you could easily go for 100mm. Im using a Magura Menja (very stiff!)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails suspension 1x1-p1000012.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The frame is 08/09 green with a 59 give or take a ml or two. I am a tall bloke at 6'2
    Currently running a king set so i don't really want to swap that out. As for riding goes everything that goes, from all day single track to 20mins at the pump track down the road. The bike is going through a few changes in the next few months with the plans to run an 80mm stem (currently 100), disk brakes (xt v atm) and obviously a front fork. Considering running 15-20mm through front wheel as my house mate is a downhiller and has convinced me its the only option. Willing to source out the right fork as i don't really want to throw the geometry out as much as the manitous did, was really noticeable switching back to the rigid fork handling, bike feel was just better more comfortable, beautiful blah blah blah.

thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    doublepost

Obi
    mtbr member
    The frame is 08/09 green with a 59 give or take a ml or two. I am a tall bloke at 6'2
    Currently running a king set so i don't really want to swap that out.
    You're going to need a taller +5 baseplate for sure then: http://chrisking.com/parts/baseplates

As for riding goes everything that goes, from all day single track to 20mins at the pump track down the road. The bike is going through a few changes in the next few months with the plans to run an 80mm stem (currently 100), disk brakes (xt v atm) and obviously a front fork. Considering running 15-20mm through front wheel as my house mate is a downhiller and has convinced me its the only option. Willing to source out the right fork as i don't really want to throw the geometry out as much as the manitous did, was really noticeable switching back to the rigid fork handling, bike feel was just better more comfortable, beautiful blah blah blah.
    Yeah, trust me here, find a 100mm fork to try out and go with a 60 or 70mm stem w/ a 5-10 degree rise if necessary and you're set. The whole 20 vs 15mm thru-axle argument is moot for me, but I'm short so the 15mm on my Fox 831's more than enough for me. *You might have to play with the amount of shims you run under the stem, but once dialed in you'll love it, both of mine are used in the way you seem to describe.

thanks for the help
    All good. The only thanks I would ask for is once this beast is built please create a flickr account if you haven't already and post some pictures to our Surly 1x1 Group there! http://www.flickr.com/groups/surly1x1/ .
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    currently with OG fork
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails suspension 1x1-my1x1.jpg