mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Surly's 44mm headtube will deplete my wallet!

I actually posted this question in the "29er Components" forum and was recommend by one of the posters to come over to the Surly specific forum and ask for help . So here is my question:

I just purchased a 2015 Surly Karate Monkey frameset which has a 44mm headtube with a 1 1/8" steerer tube. The bike shop that I ordered from says I need a headset with a zero stack 44 mm top cup (zs44), an external cup of 44mm (ec44), a clamp diameter of 1 1/8 inch, and a 30mm crown race. The only headset that meets this criteria, Cane Creek 40 series, costs fricken $80! I was hoping to buy a cheap headset for $15-$20 (Hope sells the cups seperate but would cost even more).

So my questions are: do you have a suggestion for an economical headset that fits this criteria? If I can use a zero stack on top why can't I use a zero stack on the bottom since I am not using a tapered steerer tube and the head tube is the same inner diameter top and bottom?

Thanks for your help!!!

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Using a zs bottom cup will have some effects on the geo, same as using a short fork. Might work ok if you building some sort of commuter or gravel bike but personally I wouldn't want the KM any steeper for off road use.

For what it's worth the 40 is a great product. Well worth the money. But you may be able to find something cheaper if you buy a headset with the "wrong" crown race and then buy the right one separately.

Trail Prospector
    I too was just welcomed to the world of 44mm headsets $$$. The advantage of an EC bottom cup is the ability to run either a tapered, or a 1-1/8" fork. All that's needed is a reducer base plate (crown race).
    You're right the CC 40 series is the most affordable headset with replaceable bearings.

...sent by dixie cup/string
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks for the opinions guys. Everyone in both forums is telling me that I should just spend the extra cash and purchase the 40 series so I am going to empty what is left in my wallet and do that.

Frt Range, CO
    $80 is a little steep for that headset, retail is closer to $50:
    Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40-Series ZS44 Headset - Black

Trail Prospector
    ^ That price is for a ZS bottom cup which cannot be easily converted.

To switch between a 1-1/8 to a 1-1/2 tapered fork an EC bottom cup is needed. This new "standard" is both confusing, and $$, especially if you buy one that cannot be converted if/when you get a new fork.

Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40 ZS44/EC44/30 Headset - Fits 1 1/8" Forks
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..