Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Which Surly as your one and only

If you had to, which Surly bike would you choose as your bike to do it all? I'm looking for something to be mainly used on rail trail, fire roads, pole lines, with some pavement and single track mixed in (and I'm a big Clyde 350+). What is my bike, ICT, Krampus, ECR, something else? Thanks for your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i would say a pugsly or the ECR would do you good,i would give the nod to the pugs since theres a few more choices of tires but of course you can always put a wider 29er tire on the rabbit holes as well.the pugs does have a triple ring front so a bit more gear range.the ogre may be another good choice...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm of the opinion that one do it all bike will leave you unhappy at some point. But if I were to choose (for your uses), I'd probably go CC/Straggler, or LHT/DT. Maybe more LHT/DT as it will handle your weight better.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a crosscheck which was going to be my "do it all" bike, but it ultimately became my dedicated commuter. If I were to pick my one and only now, I'd make it a troll.

mtbr member
    If I thought I was mostly riding off road I would go with an Ogre. If I thought I would be mostly riding on roads I would pick a CC. Strong disc brakes are a good thing for super-clydes.

In either case I would consider having two sets of wheels built so that I could swap them out quickly depending on where I wanted to ride. Just make sure you use the same diameter hubs and identical rotors and you should be able to swap them out in a couple of minutes.

P.S. At that weight wheels sets are a big deal (I used to be about your size myself.) Plan on something stout w/ 36 spokes.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Ogre or Karate Monkey.

CS2
    mtbr member
    The CC was the jack of all trades Surly. I think the Straggler is going to dethrone it.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Geared KM/Ogre or Krampus. I love my SS KM (aka sex panther) as it is freaking bombproof and there are a ton of options for it.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    For your uses I'd say Ogre is you like MTB bars, straggler if you like drops.

mtbr member
    If buying an off the peg, complete bike, then the ogre would be my choice based on your criteria. The ECR would be my second choice with a second set of tyres. I had and loved a Cross Check, and have and love my Pugsley. The CC could be a bit noodly under a big clyde off road, and the Pug is a blast but not my choice for paved riding. If it was my only, I'd be looking for a pavement bike to add.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    For your uses I'd say Ogre is you like MTB bars, straggler if you like drops.
    +1
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If I could only have one...it would be the Ogre....it just does everything!
    The LBS I support - www.atownbikes.net

Human Test Subject
    One bike is dumb. Get all the bikes instead!
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    For a bigger clyde and someone who wants to mix in some single track, I'd go ECR. Mtn bars, sturdy frame and wheel set, options galore, etc.

mtbr member
    I would say LHT/DT if you like classic/dropbars or the ECR if you like more MTB/flatbars.

I don't know why people make such a big real about the ECR BB drop. 80mm is quite usable offroad

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    If buying an off the peg, complete bike, then the ogre would be my choice based on your criteria. The ECR would be my second choice with a second set of tyres. I had and loved a Cross Check, and have and love my Pugsley. The CC could be a bit noodly under a big clyde off road, and the Pug is a blast but not my choice for paved riding. If it was my only, I'd be looking for a pavement bike to add.
    The one bike theory is great. But in practice it doesn't work too well. Especially if your geared toward one type of riding. IMO a dedicated road and MTB bike would be a better choice if finances permitted.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I guess I should've stated that I currently have a Kona Hoss that I'm slowly converting over to be more of a pavement/gravel bike. The surly would be used mainly on fire roads, rail trail with the family then some pole lines (fairly smooth but with some bigger rocks and washouts, more hills than the fire roads around here) and some single track. Love hearing all the opinions. I was initially set on the ICT but after thinking about it I don't think it will be a great advantage except during deeper snow in which case I'd probably just jump on the kona and hit the roads. I'm thinking the krampus, ecr, troll is what I'm narrowed down to. Any other thoughts please keep them coming.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasky View Post
    I guess I should've stated that I currently have a Kona Hoss that I'm slowly converting over to be more of a pavement/gravel bike. The surly would be used mainly on fire roads, rail trail with the family then some pole lines (fairly smooth but with some bigger rocks and washouts, more hills than the fire roads around here) and some single track. Love hearing all the opinions. I was initially set on the ICT but after thinking about it I don't think it will be a great advantage except during deeper snow in which case I'd probably just jump on the kona and hit the roads. I'm thinking the krampus, ecr, troll is what I'm narrowed down to. Any other thoughts please keep them coming.
    The Fat Bike thing really turns me on. My LBS gave me a test ride on original Pugsley. I was the most fun I had in years.

mtbr member
    I would say Ogre if you're not interested in fatbiking. Pugsley if you want fat/29+/29. Of course I own both of those bikes so I may be biased.

mtbr member
    If you already have a pavement bike then jump right into fat-land and do some pugsley-ing. I could happily have just a hard surface bike and my Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post

I don't know why people make such a big real about the ECR BB drop. 80mm is quite usable offroad
    Indeed. Especially considering the height of the wheels on the ECR.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    The only warning I would give is that at your size you are going to need* pretty beefy wheels. The nature of the Krampus and ECR will limit your rim choices greatly, as they are built for wide tires. Obviously the Troll has the advantage in this department. But out of those three the Troll or ECR, given the stout frames and forks, would be your best bet.

*Don't take that the wrong way, I was your size when I started riding and had the most issues with rear wheels and seatposts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i would say the krampus would be a bad choice simply because it needs a somewhat more aggressive style to really take advantage of it. really it sounds like an ogre would be a good fit,it was my first surly and riding the ogre was what got me into shape,and even after 18 months i have still yet to break even a single spoke after close to 6000 miles.and you always have the option of getting a set of rabbit holes and slapping a 3 inch tire up front,not to mention just swapping tires from say a skinny road tire to a mountain bike tire is simple enough.the jones loop bars are a nice plus as well,super comfortable on the back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Then I'll change my vote to Krampus. Would handle those washout areas better than a 29er (Ogre/KM) and offer a super cushy ride. Speed suffers, but I'd venture to guess that's not a big priority for you. Besides, you can always lace up ligher wheels and use regular 29er wheels if you wanted to.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The ECR seems like the perfect fit except I would be concerned about the ridiculous price of 29+ tires. I have a Troll I use for a commuter and one thing I really like about it are the 2.4 Maxxis Holy Roller tires on it. So far I haven't seen a comparable tire in a 29er size. I like how smooth they are on pavement with enough bite off road to do the job. And lots of cushioning to ease some of the rough pavement around here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast