mtbr member
    Aug 2004

SURLY TROLL- Wrong Bike for pure XC?

I have gone through the Troll thread and I get the overwhelming sense that the Troll is proving to be as adaptive as SURLY intended!

I was in the the Market for a SALSA ALA CARTE or a SOMA ANALOG and came across the Troll which I really, really like as well.

Realistically, I will use the bike as an XC Mountain Bike- both SS and geared- in fact I may just build 2 separate bikes...

If my desire is to build a good quality XC 26" hardtail is the Troll a good canidate? Am I really better off looking at the ALA CARTE or a SOMA ANALOG.

I discounted the Troll earlier because of the Dirt Rag ad that calls it a 26 touring mountain bike, not exactly what I am looking for. When I compare Troll to 1X1 they look like twins with the exception of rear drops
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It'll be a fine XC bike, however it's reasonably heavier than the others you mentioned. It's also one of the most versatile bikes on the market. Impossible to get bored with.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Just went to visit my 14" troll frame at the shop to see how the facing was coming...it is a bit heavy if you would be intening to build an xc racer. I went with the troll over a voodoo wanga because of versitlity. I will mostly use the troll for my single track rides and commuting/kid trailer pulling. In the future, I would love to try a tour or even switch to fixie, those would not have been an option with the voodoo.
    If you are going to be counting grams and only riding xc the troll would be okay but there are purpose built bikes that will serve you better. I will post more on the ride qualities after this weekend to put my two cents in.
    Happy hunting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Here's a question for the aol generation:

Is it really that hard to type "any" instead of "n e" or "your" instead of "ur"?

You are being judged by the way you post, whether you like it or not, and aolese conveys the fact that you're ("ur") not too bright.

p.s. The video was uninspiring, repetitious, and not very interesting. But at least he took the time to make one, unlike so many other folks.