Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wants a taco

Surly Troll with 65mm rims

Hopefully starting a new thread for this is OK. I searched for a while to try and find similar info and know that it would have helped me and I did not want it to get buried in the monster of a thread that is the Troll pics thread.

After a few rides on various flavors of fat bikes and really loving high volume low pressure tires more and more I decided to put "fatties fit fine" to the real test. Since money is tight I ordered a set of Weinmann DHL65 rims (instead of some of the Surly rims) that I laced to some used XT hubs we had laying around the shop. Despite being cheap rims they laced up pretty well and actually fit in the frame without any modifications being made, I even got to keep my V-brake studs. You do have to put the wheel in at an angle to get it around the studs but it is more than doable, even trail side like I found out earlier today.

The front tire is a Conti Diesel 26x2.5, the rear is a Conti Slash in a 26x2.3

Just another cycling blog...
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    I'd like to see a picture of the whole bike like this if you have one. I've been wanting to do this with my 1x1 for awhile now!
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    How far back in the dropouts do you have the rear wheel? Could you fit an even taller tire in there if you wanted?

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Hopefully starting a new thread for this is OK. I searched for a while to try and find similar info and know that it would have helped me and I did not want it to get buried in the monster of a thread that is the Troll pics thread.

After a few rides on various flavors of fat bikes and really loving high volume low pressure tires more and more I decided to put "fatties fit fine" to the real test. Since money is tight I ordered a set of Weinmann DHL65 rims (instead of some of the Surly rims) that I laced to some used XT hubs we had laying around the shop. Despite being cheap rims they laced up pretty well and actually fit in the frame without any modifications being made, I even got to keep my V-brake studs. You do have to put the wheel in at an angle to get it around the studs but it is more than doable, even trail side like I found out earlier today.

The front tire is a Conti Diesel 26x2.5, the rear is a Conti Slash in a 26x2.3

Running a 1x1 fork you can run 26"x3" tires if you so desire, without any interference issues.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradogoose View Post
    How far back in the dropouts do you have the rear wheel? Could you fit an even taller tire in there if you wanted?
    Not sure about the Troll, but on my 1x1 the fattest/tallest I could fit in the back with a 65mm wide rim (Surly Large Marge) was a 26"x2.5" (WTB something, don’t recall which model tire). I had to set the wheel back in the horizontal dropouts just a tad though. I abandoned running the fat tire/wheel combo in the back since I kept on getting pinchflats when riding the rocky stuff—I resorted back to the 24"x2.5" Large Marge rim shod with a 24"x3" Arrow Racing Wide Bite DH tire, which cleared just great.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Not sure about the Troll, but on my 1x1 the fattest/tallest I could fit in the back with a 65mm wide rim (Surly Large Marge) was a 26"x2.5" (WTB something, don’t recall which model tire). I had to set the wheel back in the horizontal dropouts just a tad though. I abandoned running the fat tire/wheel combo in the back since I kept on getting pinchflats when riding the rocky stuff—I resorted back to the 24"x2.5" Large Marge rim shod with a 24"x3" Arrow Racing Wide Bite DH tire, which cleared just great.
    Thanks for the reply LP. I'm trying to figure out if the troll will give enough float for my wife (115 lbs) to use it as a fat bike with a 4.0 front tire on a different fork. She really wants to be able to use the bike in the summer with standard mtn bike tires. Pugs frames in her size (14") are out of stock and she is really wanting to ride right now. Thinking I can order her up a frame this week and she can ride this weekend. Just trying to figure out if she'll get the float she needs from it using a large marge rim. Thoughts?

wants a taco
    The wheel is all the way forward with room to spare. Once I get done moving I will be moving the 2.5 on the front to the rear and I found a "wider" 2.5 for the front which should actually measure closer to 3 in on these rims and I still have room to go bigger on front.

As far as float is concerned, we have not had much snow until this AM so I have not tested them there but I have ridden trails with very deep sand and there is a large improvement in float. Sections I was lucky to get through on regular width tires I can get through pretty easy with this set up and I weigh a bit over 200lbs. Certainly not as much float as a true fat bike but this is more than enough of an improvement for my needs. Keep in mind, the snowcat rims that could be considered the beginning of fat tires were only 44mm wide and have seen lots of snow miles by people doing big miles in Alaska.

I will get pics of the entire bike after the move.
    The Long Way Home

wants a taco
    Thanks for the reply LP. I'm trying to figure out if the troll will give enough float for my wife (115 lbs) to use it as a fat bike with a 4.0 front tire on a different fork. She really wants to be able to use the bike in the summer with standard mtn bike tires. Pugs frames in her size (14") are out of stock and she is really wanting to ride right now. Thinking I can order her up a frame this week and she can ride this weekend. Just trying to figure out if she'll get the float she needs from it using a large marge rim. Thoughts?
    Where in Colorado are you? I live in Colorado Springs if you would like to give the bike a shot to see if there is enough float.
    The Long Way Home

wants a taco
    Got some quick pics and swapped tires around. I moved the 2.5 Conti Diesel to the rear and put a 2.5 Schwalbe Muddy Mary on front. The Schwalbe measures just shy of 3in on these rims and the Conti on the rear clears but is pretty tight. It will work but if you knock your rim out of true much it will rub the frame. I am still all the way forward in the drops though and pulling it back would certainly help but I have a "normal" set of wheels that I do not want to have to readjust the brakes for each time I swap them. Here are a few more pics with the new set up since people asked.

The Long Way Home

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I had 65 large marges and 2.7 kenda blue grooves. It was pissa!

wants a taco
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    I had 65 large marges and 2.7 kenda blue grooves. It was pissa!
    That would be a fun combo.
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    Man, that thing looks sweet have you thought about drilling out the rims?
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nubcake,

Cool job on the Troll. I dig the wide rims and big tires on it.

You can slap some Monkey Nutz in the dropouts and be all set with the wheel in a better spot for the wider setup and no adjustment for the other wheelset as far as brakes go.

I run SunRingle MTX33 rims and Conti Trail King 2.4's on my Troll with Monkey Nutz. The tire whiskers rubbed the paint off of my chainstays after only 175 miles before I installed the Monkey Nutz.

wants a taco
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Man, that thing looks sweet have you thought about drilling out the rims?
    Thanks, I have but am not sure how I would do it. The spokes run down the middle of the rim unlike most fat bikes and makes coming up with a pattern more difficult. One day when I am bored it may happen though.

I may do monkey nuts one day but so far it has not been a problem but I do not have many miles on this set up yet so time will tell if I need them.
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Where in Colorado are you? I live in Colorado Springs if you would like to give the bike a shot to see if there is enough float.
    Thanks for the offer and the additional pics. I'm on the other side if the state, close to Dolores. I'd take you up on it if I could though. I think a side by side comparison is probably the only way to know for sure. Still not sure what we'll do for my wife, but this really helps. Thanks again and nice ride!

wants a taco
    Thanks for the offer and the additional pics. I'm on the other side if the state, close to Dolores. I'd take you up on it if I could though. I think a side by side comparison is probably the only way to know for sure. Still not sure what we'll do for my wife, but this really helps. Thanks again and nice ride!
    That would be a bit of a haul. With the improvement in deep sand compared to normal width tires you can tell you do gain a good deal more float with this set up so if most of what you will be riding are packed snow machine trails you will probably be just fine with a set up like mine, especially if she is that light. Let me know if you come up with any more questions though.
    The Long Way Home

Cycle Psycho
    *oopspost*
    Last edited by Gritter; 02-18-2013 at 07:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    Any chain clearance issues running on the big cog in back, with those wide tires?
    +1 Can you run the large cogs, or will the chain rub on the fatty tire?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilancing View Post
    +1 Can you run the large cogs, or will the chain rub on the fatty tire?
    To add to the question above, are you using a triple ring setup in front? If yes, can you shift to the granny gear with no derailleur interference with the tire?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I can't stop thinking I need a 1x1 with Large Marge Lites now that I've seen this. Well done.

wants a taco
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    I can't stop thinking I need a 1x1 with Large Marge Lites now that I've seen this. Well done.
    Thanks!

I am running a 3x9 and the FD is close to the tire but it does not rub. Surprisingly the chain also does not rub the tire at all with this setup in granny/granny.

Did a ride with "real" fatbikes today and it actually held its own rather well in deeper snow and was a real blast. I would say not as good as the real thing obviously but for someone without the funds for a true fatbike it is a great in between option and much better than normal width wheels/tires.
    The Long Way Home

wants a taco
    Side by side with a Pugsly

wants a taco
    With the Pugsly again.

wants a taco
    A nine zero seven, a pugsly, a mukluk and my troll.

wants a taco
    A snow drift too deep for any bike I have ever seen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast