Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Troll

mtbr member

Surly Troll

So the new Troll is looking pretty nice. I guess it's a 26" and appears to have braze-ons and attachment points for racks front and back. Sweet. I'll be curious to see what the geometry is. Sure would be nice if it could sport a Woodchipper h-bar. For so long I've been threatening to sell my CC frame and replace it with an LHT but now...

I wonder if it'll be frame only or available as a complete.

If people have more photos or info, post it here.

--Leaf S.

mtbr member
    Waiting to see photos . It seems that running a Niner carbon fork or other aftermarket forks on the Troll wouldnt alter the geometry much. A minor plus point I consider .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New Surly Pics

Check the surly blog http://www.surlybikes.com/blog/ to see the latest Surly goodies. Our friends have been busy….

P

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll
    Sure would be nice if it could sport a Woodchipper h-bar.
    Is there a Salsa Woodchipper H-bar now? I thought it was just the dirt drop style.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So the new Troll is looking pretty nice. I guess it's a 26" and appears to have braze-ons and attachment points for racks front and back. Sweet. I'll be curious to see what the geometry is. Sure would be nice if it could sport a Woodchipper h-bar. For so long I've been threatening to sell my CC frame and replace it with an LHT but now...

I wonder if it'll be frame only or available as a complete.

If people have more photos or info, post it here.

--Leaf S.
    Have you seen the blog on the Surly webpage? http://www.surlybikes.com/blog/ Geo is the same as the 1x1 (which is a great thing). Looks like its just a frameset for now, but they are contemplating a complete in the future.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If the Troll has the same tire clearance as the current 1x1, Surly just introduced my ideal mountain bike.

mtbr member

It's always something with Surly

Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd
    Have you seen the blog on the Surly webpage? http://www.surlybikes.com/blog/ Geo is the same as the 1x1 (which is a great thing). Looks like its just a frameset for now, but they are contemplating a complete in the future.
    Every year at this time of year I'm contemplating something with Surly. I get caught up in the hype of new stuff. Their products are solid and very affordable. Same with Salsa. I have a couple of bikes but nothing for heavy duty touring. Not that I plan on riding to Tierra Del Fuego or anything in the near future but I'd just like to have a sturdier bike for bike-camping. I'm heading out for a couple of days in Gifford Pinchot NF for a few days and am kind of kicking myself for not being more proactive with replacing my CC with an LHT...

Salsa has some nice offerings also which further complicate my bike lust.

--leaf

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    Is there a Salsa Woodchipper H-bar now? I thought it was just the dirt drop style.
    I'm pretty sure he was just abbreviating 'handlebar', not inferring a new shape to the 'chipper.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Every year at this time of year I'm contemplating something with Surly. I get caught up in the hype of new stuff. Their products are solid and very affordable. Same with Salsa. I have a couple of bikes but nothing for heavy duty touring. Not that I plan on riding to Tierra Del Fuego or anything in the near future but I'd just like to have a sturdier bike for bike-camping. I'm heading out for a couple of days in Gifford Pinchot NF for a few days and am kind of kicking myself for not being more proactive with replacing my CC with an LHT...

Salsa has some nice offerings also which further complicate my bike lust.

--leaf
    Don't kick yourself - the Crosscheck is 90% as good a touring bike as the LHT and is more fun to ride than an LHT when not loaded down with gear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    Don't kick yourself - the Crosscheck is 90% as good a touring bike as the LHT and is more fun to ride than an LHT when not loaded down with gear.
    For a two day trip, the crosscheck would be just as capable a steed as the LHT. If you're gonna be gone for months at a time, then maybe the LHT would be a better choice. That said, I've owned an LHT and it's a really nice ride, but it's best for road touring and as a reasonable commuter. Having ridden it offroad, I would say that it's definitely not the strongest choice for anything not paved.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by FTMN
    If the Troll has the same tire clearance as the current 1x1, Surly just introduced my ideal mountain bike.
    I sent Surly an email over the weekend regarding tire clearance. Got a reply today... "should run the same as a 1x1."

Heck yeah!

tl1
    Bicyclist

Looks like fun

Troll

The idea behind this sucker is a commuter, tractor, off-roader, tourer, dethmachine.

Features:

1x1 geometry with 100mm suspension-corrected fork

Multi-use dropout – horizontal rear track-end type with der hanger, fender/rack eyelets, AND trailer specific mounts that will work with Surly trailer nuts (10x1mm thread)

Disc on chainstay for rack and fender friendlieness

Rohloff compliant

Frameset MSRP: $495 Complete bike? Maybe.

ETA: November

http://surlybikes.com/blog/

CS2
    mtbr member
    That's such a nice looking bike. Plus it's not black or gray. I especially like the blue CC.

mtbr member
    this would be one of the better post-apocalypse bikes out there. of course, it would depend on the type of apocalypse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aljee
    this would be one of the better post-apocalypse bikes out there. of course, it would depend on the type of apocalypse.
    Ya for zombie apocalypse clearly the Big Dummy with a front mounted flame thrower and a passenger sporting twin chainsaws is the way to go.

For a nuclear winter apocalypse I'd go with a Pugsley for floatation over the fall out.

I think the Troll + trailer would be my killer virus hide in the woods till it's over apocalypse bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

ha ha HA

dummy would be a good choice, don't get me wrong. the 26in wheels are the most important aspect, if you are thinking long term. the horizon will be littered with shite magnas. ripe for the scavenge. the only thing that would take away from the dummy would be the long cables, though that could be easily solved with a diy coupler.
    as for the weapons choice....i think flame would be less effective...chainsaws would be heavy, but potentially effective, though they need fuel. the dummy has a good advantage with different brake choices as well.

i have considered the nuclear winter aspect as well. though the pugsley would be ideal, i would have to also consider availability of tires, etc.

i agree on troll + trailer, as long as the trailer could take 26in, or be made to take them. full racks would be good too. i like that it could be very maneuverable if you ditched the trailer, if need be.

frankly, i think the best bet would be to proactively build a rohloff chupacabra. keep it under wraps. keep a couple spare endos or larrys. but make the bb height somewhere between 26/29in average. there could be a lot of built-in flexibility. like derailleur hanger, etc.

mtbr member
    All good points...there ain't no easy apocalypse!...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Anyone know what bars are on that mocked up Troll?

As a sidenote:

I wish Surly would stop putting brake posts on their frames...a disc-only CC would be awesome. And the 1x1 (and now the Troll) would look a lot cleaner when running 650b and 700c wheels and discs.

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound
    I wish Surly would stop putting brake posts on their frames...a disc-only CC would be awesome. And the 1x1 (and now the Troll) would look a lot cleaner when running 650b and 700c wheels and discs.
    a crosscheck without a canti option??!!

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aljee

That's why it has the trailer attachment points.

Buy the trailer too?

Partially to stow your provisions, but more so to mount your defenses..

ROFL..maybe I should post that in the Surly Marketing Thread, they could say..

Our New Surly Trailer is: "100% Anti-Zombie Related" in both functionality as well as durability! Additionally it's guaranteed to Haul 4 Kegs for the party after the end of the world.

mtbr member
    May 2010

...the 1x1 (and now the Troll) would look a lot cleaner when running 650b and 700c wheels and discs.
    The Troll pic from the Surly blog (shown in this thread) looks to have the Surly Open Bar. The pics from Eurobike? I don't know.

As for brake posts, they are easy to cut off.

mtbr member

As a sidenote:

You know the posts can be removed? The lack on canti posts really limits what brakes you can run...not everybody wants to use disc brakes. It seems silly to limit the choice of brakes so significantly so you can achieve a cleaner "look".

I have to try real hard to even notice what's left of the brake posts on my 1x1 fork once you unbolt the posts.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    there are better pics of the troll's dropouts in the "changes to KM" thread... but since this is the thread for trolls I'll ask here.
    the nice big (apparently tapped) holes above the axle, are they not mounts specifically made to accept the new HD trailer?
    pics show it on a bob-style "spools on the QR rod" mount, which doesn't make sense if the frame has tailor-made drilled and tapped holes for a proprietary mount
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    there are better pics of the troll's dropouts in the "changes to KM" thread... but since this is the thread for trolls I'll ask here.
    the nice big (apparently tapped) holes above the axle, are they not mounts specifically made to accept the new HD trailer?
    pics show it on a bob-style "spools on the QR rod" mount, which doesn't make sense if the frame has tailor-made drilled and tapped holes for a proprietary mount
    I noticed that too. I figured Surly just wanted to show that their new trailer can work on (almost) any bike, and not just the Troll that has a special mount built into the dropout.

That's what I'm guessing...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey Vikb,
    Did you have to heat the brake bosses to get them loose? The one time I tried wrenching the brake post out of a Surly fork (no heat), I REALLY cranked on it and it still wouldn't crack loose.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Like the look of the new Troll......I assume this is an answer to the Fargo. I am contemplating a Fargo at the moment but I may have to look into the Troll a little more first. I would like to see 29" wheels though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thank you, thank you! This is what I've been looking for. Key features for me: steel, canti/v brake mounts ( to those who say they're useless), IGH friendly, 100mm fork compatible, etc, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    surly's site now has the troll and the trailer (along with the rest of the new stuff) posted.
    those ARE heavy-duty trailer-specific tapped holes on the dropouts!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    will the troll take 29" wheels ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by glass69
    will the troll take 29" wheels ?
    It doesn't appear meant to, and from the pictures doesn't look like there's clearance, at least for the rear wheel. Why not just a KM or a CC?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey Vikb,
    Did you have to heat the brake bosses to get them loose? The one time I tried wrenching the brake post out of a Surly fork (no heat), I REALLY cranked on it and it still wouldn't crack loose.
    Brake bosses should have threadlocker of some sort on them, so yes, you may need a little heat. I'd try a longer lever first, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mistake...

Glass69,

The Troll might fit 29ers like the 1x1 does, but I don't recommend it. Those frames are designed for 26" wheels and even though bigger wheels will fit, the bikes geo gets convoluted and they just don't ride like they should. This is coming from experience.

I'd recommend 650b wheels in the Troll/1x1 if you want bigger hoops, but if you want 29" wheels then just get a frame designed for them.

I have 2 1x1 frames converted to 29ers and I wish I hadn't butchered perfectly good frames to get my 29"/1x1 fix. My KMonk works just fine.

Just my thoughts before you lay down cash for a bike that's not really what you want

Pat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixed1313
    Like the look of the new Troll......I assume this is an answer to the Fargo. I am contemplating a Fargo at the moment but I may have to look into the Troll a little more first. I would like to see 29" wheels though.
    I'm a little curious. Why would you compare the Troll to the Fargo? They don't seem to be very similar to me.
    My outdoor blog: www.yetirides.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider
    I'm a little curious. Why would you compare the Troll to the Fargo? They don't seem to be very similar to me.
    My guess is that it's because they are both true mountain bikes that have rack mounts front and back. The question is, does the Troll handle as well as the Fargo with full packs front and back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider
    As stated above, the Fargo is a mtb designed for long distance touring, lots of mounts for waterbottles, racks and fenders. If you look at the Troll it kinda looks like that is what Surly is going for also with the rack mounts, the frames even look similar. I have not compared specs at all (not sure Surly even has them up yet). If this is Surly's intent I am surprised that they don't have more mount options, I can rationalize the 26" wheels but 29" wheels would be nice also. I will be in the market for just such a bike in a little while and will have to keep an eye on this one. I have seen the new Fargo in pics and I am not keen on the new color and the Sram/STI shifters package. I am a big fan of the XT/ bar end setup. Just my 2 cents.........looking forward to see how Surly markets this new model.

mtbr member
    Ok, I guess I just saw the differences: The Fargo is designed for a drop bar and has 29" wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The 2011 line, including the Troll, is up on Surly's website... specs, frame highlights, pics, geometry, etc. Check it out.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    When I saw the pics and read that the Troll is based on a 100mm fork, I figured it was simply an Instigator fork with rack mounts. Just noticed today that it's a completely new fork. In fact Surly now has three 100mm equivalent forks... the Troll, the Instigator, and the 100mm version of the 1x1 fork. All three have different rake measurements and axle-to-crown lengths. Interesting...

I wonder how different the Troll will ride, compared to the new 1x1, given that they have different rakes and a-c lengths. I thought I read somewhere that they tried to keep the new 1x1's handling similar to the old 1x1, just with a taller front end.

Plenty of Surly options out there for people looking for a 26er rigid fork.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    One of my customers wants his to be in a black color and the wife's left orange. I figured why not share this pic with you all in case anyone else would like to see this as a production color. Reminder, Surly is cool with re-powdering your frame any color in the spectrum, just as they say "No pizza ovens for the curing" that way the frame quality and structure aren't jeopardized.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Rockhound, go check out Salsa's stuff. They're seriously hating on rim brakes these days. I actually had Canti mounts ADDED to my Fargo! So glad to see that Surly still has a mind for versatility, and as it has been stated the bosses are removable.

If the Troll were a 29er it'd be in danger of making me loose faith in my Fargo.

The track end + der hanger should be industry standard. Not sure about everything else though, all useful but it's getting mighty crowded back there. How long until they start messing with Paragon style sliding dropouts?

The full cable guides are excellent, and routed under the top tube? it's starting to look like one of those lifted Jeeps with the snorkel exhaust deal. In other words- intense.

What I want to know is what's with the through-blade rack mount at the bottom of the fork? Should we be expecting something new that'll utilize that thing? I hope so.

I guess they must've been afraid of making it a blatant response to the Fargo. Why else leave it at two bottle bosses? Sure six is ridiculous but if this thing is supposed to be touring ready three or four isn't impractical. I'd like to see somebody put a bottle boss on top of the top tube, right down by the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think 2 bosses makes sense; if someone wants 4 or 6, they should just get a camelbak.

I do wonder about adding a petcock to the through-blade eyelets at the bottom though, so you could use a funnel to fill the fork with fuel from the upper eyelets and then drain it to your stove from the lower...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have three Camelbaks. One has only a small bladder, one a 100 oz. bladder with a small pocket, one a 100 oz. bladder and lotsa room for gear.

Last august I ran with the second one and two bottles and ran dry in rural WV. That was at the bottom of an eleven mile hill.

A month ago I ran with the big one and no bottles. I was delivering a bike to a friend 200 miles away so I figured I'd just pack all my gear into the pack and be golden. I quickly decided that riding with the pack on the rear rack was a much better idea and suddenly I had to stop and dismount every time I wanted a drink.

Camelbaks are useful but they aren't the holy grail. Plus you can always leave the bottle bosses cageless if you don't need them. It's far more difficult to retrofit more if they are needed. The Troll, in my mind, is all about ability and versatility. So why not go for it?

The idea of using the frame cavity itself is interesting. I store spokes in the seattube but fuel in the fork? It would have to be sealed at the steerer and have no drain holes, and there would have to be NO chance of it somehow igniting in there. Seems like it might be more work than it's worth. Then again there were more than a few old mopeds that used their frames as gas tanks. So maybe it's not that unprecedented. I still think the racks they're likely prototyping right now will likely be more exciting though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
    I think 2 bosses makes sense; if someone wants 4 or 6, they should just get a camelbak.
    I find it much more comfortable to ride without a backpack or camelback and if you use a full sized frame bag, the extra bottle holders on the fork come in real handy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't see the Troll as in the same category as the Fargo - the Fargo looks like something I'd need to ride through Appalachia, the Troll looks like something I'd want to ride to the gas station for charcoal briquettes and then down to the woods for the weekend. There's overlap, but I still see them as pretty different, so I can't really fault two bottle mounts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    They're totally different. Flat bar to drop bar, 26 to 29, etc.

But they're both prominent examples of the burgeoning "everything" bike. They're both designed as touring capable mountain bikes (or perhaps ATB has become a useful term again?).

They both inspire conversation of post-apocalyptic living-off-the-bike type goodness.

That's why I compare them, and what I compare them on.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    [/arguing] mmmmmkay...let's not get all feisty over this.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Manzanita
    Rockhound, go check out Salsa's stuff. They're seriously hating on rim brakes these days. I actually had Canti mounts ADDED to my Fargo! So glad to see that Surly still has a mind for versatility, and as it has been stated the bosses are removable.
    I know you can do it just the same with or without canti posts, but I like the versatility of running 26 and 700c wheels (or 650b, if I had some) on a single frame...which is why disc brakes are great.

A wheel change can instantly change your bike from a mtb, to a gravel road cruiser to an asphalt machine...and it can be done and still have the same diameter wheel and tire, thus keeping the handling relatively the same.

Think 26x2.35 mtb = 700x32, not 26x2.35 mtb > 26x1 slicks.

That and your rims no longer serve as wear items.

Granted you don't have to use the canti posts, I'd just prefer they not be there...that's all. Unless of course you made a rack that utilized them (like the Salsa Casseroll does this year).

Lighten up.
    Some of you know that I've had some seriously torrid affairs with some Surly frames the past few years, and seeing this Troll makes me curious...

...but I'm leaning towards a Ti El Mariachi mated to a 2011 Fargo fork. Granted, it's not a direct comparison...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoman
    Some of you know that I've had some seriously torrid affairs with some Surly frames the past few years, and seeing this Troll makes me curious...

...but I'm leaning towards a Ti El Mariachi mated to a 2011 Fargo fork. Granted, it's not a direct comparison...
    nice, i am saving for a complete steel El Mar. hopefully it will happen with the next batch this spring. i am sure you saw the new Ti Fargo, ay?

Lighten up.
    I did see that. And in this spoiled American life, I've been 'struggling' with whether to go Fargo or El Mar. Looking for a do-it-all bike, which is why I'm trolling the Troll thread. It's a tough decision since I'd have to sell my Trucker to finance a Ti version of either frame.

mtbr member
    I'm really liking the troll. Went down to talk with my local dealer today.Can't get my hands on one til mid-December. Time to start saving some cash and scoring some new cheap parts..
    Here is a video I found on one of my many troll searches..
    Troll and Trailer

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

As a sidenote:

Hey, on the Surly website it says you can remove the brake posts! You can get that clean look

mtbr member
    On a MTB like the 1x1, it probably makes sense to go disc only. On something clearly designed with touring in mind, like the Troll, more options seems to make sense, as every one will be built up fairly differently. Not sure I'd want to deal with disc brakes and a trailer, for instance.

The Cross Check should always keep it's canti posts. The type of riding it is primarily designed for (disregarding niche 'monstercross' use) generally uses canti or v-brakes, not disc. I'm ambivalent about them adding discs to the frame, but I would definitely want the canti posts to stay.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I think surly has made a name for themselves by offering very adaptable frames.........going disc only would limit the build options too much in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I like disc brakes and would like the option on their frames but don't take off the canti mounts completely. I am looking forward to building up a Troll and I can tell you it won't have discs in the first build phase..........times are tight and I will need to use parts I have around till I can upgrade.

mtbr member
    Troll is a perfect 'clean out the parts garage frame'
    This will be my everyday bike, but I do plan to see how well it compares to my yeti575 at Pisgah.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi
    That's why it has the trailer attachment points.

Buy the trailer too?

Partially to stow your provisions, but more so to mount your defenses..

ROFL..maybe I should post that in the Surly Marketing Thread, they could say..

Our New Surly Trailer is: "100% Anti-Zombie Related" in both functionality as well as durability! Additionally it's guaranteed to Haul 4 Kegs for the party after the end of the world.

Sweet, cuz my Battle Ass broke its leg. i had to unmount the gun to shoot it.......messy....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Don't forget Surly and Salso are QBP brands. Notice they don't copy each others designs. While they may be run independently, I'm sure QPB makes sure they each don't produce the same frame to compete directly.

Salsa's are disc heavy. Surly's are cantilever heavy.

The Troll looks great. I've been waiting for a low cost frame like this that has a long 63cm. TT , high head tube and cantilevers for a tall rider. The Fargo fell short in the TT and canti dept.

Anyone know what the uncut steer tube length is?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just realized this bike doesn't look like it's fits tall guys too well if you like higher bars. Surly's really offers only offers a couple of geometries for all their bikes when I look at them.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Garthr
    I just realized this bike doesn't look like it's fits tall guys too well if you like higher bars. Surly's really offers only offers a couple of geometries for all their bikes when I look at them.
    The Troll's front end is definitely lower than a Fargo, but it looks as though the XL Troll will have a slightly taller front end than the current XL 1x1. My current XL 1x1 fits me well enough (I'm 2m tall), for an off-road bike. I don't think I'd want to put a lot of road miles on it though.

The 260mm uncut steerer definitely helps.

bikeboatbrewski
    I just recently setup my old Mongoose IBOC mtn bike as a hybrd/comfort bike and it is very similar to the new Troll except for my high rise stem and the old RS-2 forks. I just put the Surly open bar on it and reinstalled my old thumb shifters and Dia comp canti brake levers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the info FTMN.

I was thinking of a low cost non suspension frame as dedicated winter off-road bike. It seems the sizing and design mentality hasn't changed much in mass produced bikes from the 80's, when I bought a Stumpjumper in '83. Tall riders still have to live with lurching over the bars. The old Fargo comes soo close, but the TT is 2cm shorter than I use and is designed for drop bars, which I don't use. A long stem doesn't make up for a short frame, I tried that a hundred times. The new Fargo is even shorter with it's new sizing.

If Surly would just make one size bigger in their frames. .... just one size. I've been saying that for 30 years though about a lot of frames!

Basically, I need the bars(at the top of the stem) at least 3cm. above my 82cm saddle height. This is easy on shorter frames, but taller frames don't keep that proportion.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Garthr
    Basically, I need the bars(at the top of the stem) at least 3cm. above my 82cm saddle height. This is easy on shorter frames, but taller frames don't keep that proportion.
    Have you considered a custom frame?

Gunnar is relatively inexpensive and makes really nice stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Have you considered a custom frame?

Gunnar is relatively inexpensive and makes really nice stuff.

I have a custom road frame and another costly on/off road frame, so I was hoping to get one that didn't cost another 1-2 grand. But, when you fit outside the box, there are few stock options, if any. I'd like to be able to put together a whole winter "beater" bike for a grand, but it doesn't look like it's happening. I recently sold my '83 Stumpumper, which was a fine beater bike for winter in theory, but it was so ill fitting I never rode it anymore.

There's a builder here in Ohio who can build me frames for less than the Gunnar customs, but oh well, what's another $1200 for a frame?! If I had the time, skill and confidence, I'd really like to make my own though.

Before I rule out the Troll though, I'll give Surly a buzz and confirm the steer tube length.
    Last edited by Garthr; 10-18-2010 at 11:14 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    No custom frames for me... yet. Tall stems, uncut steerers and riser bars have worked well enough so far.

And yeah, I'm glad I picked up an XXL Fargo before they redesigned it.

mtbr member
    Any news on the troll? Has anyone talk with there LBS about ETA?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Surly told me around Thanksgiving, late November for the Troll.
    Give 'em a call.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

question for the surly design rats

can we expect to see a "travellin' troll"?
    I know I'm probably in the minority, but when I get the chance to travel with a bike, I won't be needing a road bike, I want to bring a real mountain bike with me!

Rright now there's the ibis tranny, recently there was the now defunct ritchey ti breakaway and then touring bikes like the lht deluxe and traveller's check etc. (and custom of course)
    But considering the troll's versatile design, I think it'd be the perfect candidate to become a breakdown bike.
    Could be a heavy hauler, single speed, geared, near-fat bike, whatever!

mtbr member
    Wow! This could be the perfect frameset, I love the 1x1 geometry, and the ride quality is pretty great too.

I wonder if the troll uses the same tubes as the 1x1, or if it is getting beefed up for load carrying.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The estimated arrival date for the Troll framesets is 12/15/10.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    it seems pretty obvious that Surly is trying to provide a frame with similar characteristics to the Fargo and Inbreb - i like the Troll because unlike the Fargo, its made for 26" wheels and has track-style dropouts, and it has double seatstays, as opposed to the wishbone design on the Inbred.

im wondering though - does anyone yet know if the Troll is BB7 friendly? Inbreds obviously are not...not sure about Fargos

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    not quite sure where your parameters for comparison are; fargo's designed for drop bar touring, inbred's a regular mountain bike. but I'd say the troll falls between them.
    mostly regular geo, but touring capable, just not drop-bar specific.

troll's definitely bb7 friendly, fargo comes with bb7's on it.

take a peek on the disc side drop, HUGE amount of space there

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjatssd...n/photostream/

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    the only parameter i was using was the incredible amount of versatility designed into those 3 invidual frames. mainly, the ability to run gears/discs/rack and fenders simultaneously, with the Inbred being slightly less compliant than the Troll and Fargo, because as you pointed out, its primary purpose is to be a mountain bike.

i for one cannot wait to get my Troll! thanks for answering my question

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My brother told me about the Troll and I can't wait to check it out. I'm finding a lot of comparisons to the Salsa Fargo. I have that bike and now I want the Troll too! The Fargo is incredible, but lacks canti brakes and 29ers wheels can't be found in developing countries. They are certainly two different beasts.
    I have waited so long for some U.S. company to come out with a world tourer (steel, 26 inch, and old school canti brakes). Europe is way ahead of us and I applaud Surly for finally filling this much needed market. It's about time!
    The options on the Troll seem amazing. Rholff hub compatible (they thought of almost everything)! My only suggestions would be a down tube bottle mount and a frame color that doesn't draw so much attention (tourist perspective, not mtb). Also extending the chainstays for more heel clearance and ride stability would be nice too.
    Honestly I don't know if I can wait for them to implement these suggestions.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lifebybike
    My only suggestions would be a down tube bottle mount and a frame color that doesn't draw so much attention (tourist perspective, not mtb). Also extending the chainstays for more heel clearance and ride stability would be nice too.
    Honestly I don't know if I can wait for them to implement these suggestions.
    I doubt they'll make any of those changes... except maybe the color.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Surly would not make such changes,as this frame is a modified 1X1. These are budget frames, meant for a certain price point.

As much as you and I can say ..... hey .... why not change this or that? . . . It doesn't work with low cost mass produced frame vendors. That's why there are custom frame builders.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I doubt they'll make any of those changes... except maybe the color.
    Especially since they're not marketing it as a world tourer at all. They still make the LHT in 26", don't they?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well, one could hope; I mean they do market the Troll as an all-utility bike and why mess with rholff box attachments and rack braze-ons if not for touring. I don't believe extending the chainstays and adding braze-ons for a third water bottle cage would really cost that much more. If anything it would increase the versatility of this bike. Reading Surly's description it most certainly seems that they are partly going after the off-road expedition touring market.
    This is only my opinion, of course, after years spent being jealous of the Europeans and their vast selection of bikes quite similiar to the Troll. Will this change anything? One can only hope.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lifebybike
    If anything it would increase the versatility of this bike. Reading Surly's description it most certainly seems that they are partly going after the off-road expedition touring market.
    Well, they say "Use it as a mountain bike, as a cruiser, commuter or touring rig. Use it as your go-to utility tractor. . . . Add some racks and gears or strip it down to a singlespeed drivetrain. Take it camping, ride it to the grocery store or session on your favorite single-track."

Sounds like something to ride into the woods for the weekend. I really think you're reading what you want into the description. I suppose it's too bad it doesn't do everything you want it to, but I think your understanding of what it is is misplaced. I doubt longer stays and a third bottle mount are going to make or break this for the vast majority of its users. I can't see how, between the Troll, the Fargo, and the LHT (both 26 and 29 versions) that there isn't something for most people. For the very few who have very specific needs, going custom or sourcing a niche product (among already-niche products) from Europe seems reasonable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    troll's not a touring bike, the geometry and design brief were mountain first, but still touring-capable.
    I hear what you're saying, I just think the LHT with 26 x 2.0's is the bike for you.

I still think a SnS'd "travellin' troll" would hit a great mark with those of us who'd like a REAL mountain bike for travel purposes, not a tourer with chubbyish tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    this thread is useless without build pics...Come on people

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by huevos
    this thread is useless without build pics...Come on people
    you'll need frames to do that ... Come on Surly!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    "be like fonzie"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Fresh from the oven

mtbr member
    Dhana, if that is SS, why not go with a 1x1?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    That thing looks AWESOME dhana!!! I love the orange. Congrats!

I'm jealous...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    awesome dhana! congrats!

when did those came out!?

@riiz...there are some ways to express jealousy and yours!

mtbr member
    When Did they become available? I will order very soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    awesome dhana! congrats!

when did those came out!?

@riiz...there are some ways to express jealousy and yours!
    I'm not being negative, I want one too, but isnt the troll meant for peeps that want gears, hehe?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I thought the troll was for peeps that want versatility.

mtbr member
    visited my lbs today, the troll is available and i have one on the way
    Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    ditto - and i cant wait

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    for those who aren't subscribed to the surly blog yet
    one trolly good post from yesterday

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    for those who aren't subscribed to the surly blog yet
    one trolly good post from yesterday
    Those pics of the decked out Troll on Surly's blog are REALLY cool...

mtbr member
    I rode an orange Troll today. Looked and rode great!

Apr 2007
    So the Troll is EXACTLY like the 1x1 minus the rear end? If so, I'm going with the Troll instead. Wish they had it in black.

mtbr member
    my troll is in, now to build it
    Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hey guys new to the site. Considering building up a Troll, and need some advice on sizing. I am 5,7" with a 32" inseam, and ride a 54cm road bike. Stuck trying to decide between the 16 and the 18. Any advice?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tomhink
    Hey guys new to the site. Considering building up a Troll, and need some advice on sizing. I am 5,7" with a 32" inseam, and ride a 54cm road bike. Stuck trying to decide between the 16 and the 18. Any advice?
    I'm 5'10" same inseam, bought a 18", for me its ok but I reckon a 16" would fit too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

some pics

only iphone pics, but here it is on its first test, rides nice but I don't have much to compare it too, I last bought a mountain bike in 1990!:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-img_0992.jpg  

Surly Troll-img_0991.jpg  

Surly Troll-img_0995.jpg  

Last edited by stroller; 02-09-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 157