Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Troll

mtbr member

Surly Troll

So the new Troll is looking pretty nice. I guess it's a 26" and appears to have braze-ons and attachment points for racks front and back. Sweet. I'll be curious to see what the geometry is. Sure would be nice if it could sport a Woodchipper h-bar. For so long I've been threatening to sell my CC frame and replace it with an LHT but now...

I wonder if it'll be frame only or available as a complete.

If people have more photos or info, post it here.

--Leaf S.

mtbr member
    Waiting to see photos . It seems that running a Niner carbon fork or other aftermarket forks on the Troll wouldnt alter the geometry much. A minor plus point I consider .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New Surly Pics

Check the surly blog http://www.surlybikes.com/blog/ to see the latest Surly goodies. Our friends have been busy….

P

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll
    Sure would be nice if it could sport a Woodchipper h-bar.
    Is there a Salsa Woodchipper H-bar now? I thought it was just the dirt drop style.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So the new Troll is looking pretty nice. I guess it's a 26" and appears to have braze-ons and attachment points for racks front and back. Sweet. I'll be curious to see what the geometry is. Sure would be nice if it could sport a Woodchipper h-bar. For so long I've been threatening to sell my CC frame and replace it with an LHT but now...

I wonder if it'll be frame only or available as a complete.

If people have more photos or info, post it here.

--Leaf S.
    Have you seen the blog on the Surly webpage? http://www.surlybikes.com/blog/ Geo is the same as the 1x1 (which is a great thing). Looks like its just a frameset for now, but they are contemplating a complete in the future.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If the Troll has the same tire clearance as the current 1x1, Surly just introduced my ideal mountain bike.

mtbr member

It's always something with Surly

Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd
    Have you seen the blog on the Surly webpage? http://www.surlybikes.com/blog/ Geo is the same as the 1x1 (which is a great thing). Looks like its just a frameset for now, but they are contemplating a complete in the future.
    Every year at this time of year I'm contemplating something with Surly. I get caught up in the hype of new stuff. Their products are solid and very affordable. Same with Salsa. I have a couple of bikes but nothing for heavy duty touring. Not that I plan on riding to Tierra Del Fuego or anything in the near future but I'd just like to have a sturdier bike for bike-camping. I'm heading out for a couple of days in Gifford Pinchot NF for a few days and am kind of kicking myself for not being more proactive with replacing my CC with an LHT...

Salsa has some nice offerings also which further complicate my bike lust.

--leaf

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    Is there a Salsa Woodchipper H-bar now? I thought it was just the dirt drop style.
    I'm pretty sure he was just abbreviating 'handlebar', not inferring a new shape to the 'chipper.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Every year at this time of year I'm contemplating something with Surly. I get caught up in the hype of new stuff. Their products are solid and very affordable. Same with Salsa. I have a couple of bikes but nothing for heavy duty touring. Not that I plan on riding to Tierra Del Fuego or anything in the near future but I'd just like to have a sturdier bike for bike-camping. I'm heading out for a couple of days in Gifford Pinchot NF for a few days and am kind of kicking myself for not being more proactive with replacing my CC with an LHT...

Salsa has some nice offerings also which further complicate my bike lust.

--leaf
    Don't kick yourself - the Crosscheck is 90% as good a touring bike as the LHT and is more fun to ride than an LHT when not loaded down with gear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    Don't kick yourself - the Crosscheck is 90% as good a touring bike as the LHT and is more fun to ride than an LHT when not loaded down with gear.
    For a two day trip, the crosscheck would be just as capable a steed as the LHT. If you're gonna be gone for months at a time, then maybe the LHT would be a better choice. That said, I've owned an LHT and it's a really nice ride, but it's best for road touring and as a reasonable commuter. Having ridden it offroad, I would say that it's definitely not the strongest choice for anything not paved.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by FTMN
    If the Troll has the same tire clearance as the current 1x1, Surly just introduced my ideal mountain bike.
    I sent Surly an email over the weekend regarding tire clearance. Got a reply today... "should run the same as a 1x1."

Heck yeah!

tl1
    Bicyclist

Looks like fun

Troll

The idea behind this sucker is a commuter, tractor, off-roader, tourer, dethmachine.

Features:

1x1 geometry with 100mm suspension-corrected fork

Multi-use dropout – horizontal rear track-end type with der hanger, fender/rack eyelets, AND trailer specific mounts that will work with Surly trailer nuts (10x1mm thread)

Disc on chainstay for rack and fender friendlieness

Rohloff compliant

Frameset MSRP: $495 Complete bike? Maybe.

ETA: November

http://surlybikes.com/blog/

CS2
    mtbr member
    That's such a nice looking bike. Plus it's not black or gray. I especially like the blue CC.

mtbr member
    this would be one of the better post-apocalypse bikes out there. of course, it would depend on the type of apocalypse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aljee
    this would be one of the better post-apocalypse bikes out there. of course, it would depend on the type of apocalypse.
    Ya for zombie apocalypse clearly the Big Dummy with a front mounted flame thrower and a passenger sporting twin chainsaws is the way to go.

For a nuclear winter apocalypse I'd go with a Pugsley for floatation over the fall out.

I think the Troll + trailer would be my killer virus hide in the woods till it's over apocalypse bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

ha ha HA

dummy would be a good choice, don't get me wrong. the 26in wheels are the most important aspect, if you are thinking long term. the horizon will be littered with shite magnas. ripe for the scavenge. the only thing that would take away from the dummy would be the long cables, though that could be easily solved with a diy coupler.
    as for the weapons choice....i think flame would be less effective...chainsaws would be heavy, but potentially effective, though they need fuel. the dummy has a good advantage with different brake choices as well.

i have considered the nuclear winter aspect as well. though the pugsley would be ideal, i would have to also consider availability of tires, etc.

i agree on troll + trailer, as long as the trailer could take 26in, or be made to take them. full racks would be good too. i like that it could be very maneuverable if you ditched the trailer, if need be.

frankly, i think the best bet would be to proactively build a rohloff chupacabra. keep it under wraps. keep a couple spare endos or larrys. but make the bb height somewhere between 26/29in average. there could be a lot of built-in flexibility. like derailleur hanger, etc.

mtbr member
    All good points...there ain't no easy apocalypse!...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Anyone know what bars are on that mocked up Troll?

As a sidenote:

I wish Surly would stop putting brake posts on their frames...a disc-only CC would be awesome. And the 1x1 (and now the Troll) would look a lot cleaner when running 650b and 700c wheels and discs.

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound
    I wish Surly would stop putting brake posts on their frames...a disc-only CC would be awesome. And the 1x1 (and now the Troll) would look a lot cleaner when running 650b and 700c wheels and discs.
    a crosscheck without a canti option??!!

Obi
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aljee

That's why it has the trailer attachment points.

Buy the trailer too?

Partially to stow your provisions, but more so to mount your defenses..

ROFL..maybe I should post that in the Surly Marketing Thread, they could say..

Our New Surly Trailer is: "100% Anti-Zombie Related" in both functionality as well as durability! Additionally it's guaranteed to Haul 4 Kegs for the party after the end of the world.

You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    May 2010

...the 1x1 (and now the Troll) would look a lot cleaner when running 650b and 700c wheels and discs.
    The Troll pic from the Surly blog (shown in this thread) looks to have the Surly Open Bar. The pics from Eurobike? I don't know.

As for brake posts, they are easy to cut off.

mtbr member

As a sidenote:

You know the posts can be removed? The lack on canti posts really limits what brakes you can run...not everybody wants to use disc brakes. It seems silly to limit the choice of brakes so significantly so you can achieve a cleaner "look".

I have to try real hard to even notice what's left of the brake posts on my 1x1 fork once you unbolt the posts.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    there are better pics of the troll's dropouts in the "changes to KM" thread... but since this is the thread for trolls I'll ask here.
    the nice big (apparently tapped) holes above the axle, are they not mounts specifically made to accept the new HD trailer?
    pics show it on a bob-style "spools on the QR rod" mount, which doesn't make sense if the frame has tailor-made drilled and tapped holes for a proprietary mount
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    there are better pics of the troll's dropouts in the "changes to KM" thread... but since this is the thread for trolls I'll ask here.
    the nice big (apparently tapped) holes above the axle, are they not mounts specifically made to accept the new HD trailer?
    pics show it on a bob-style "spools on the QR rod" mount, which doesn't make sense if the frame has tailor-made drilled and tapped holes for a proprietary mount
    I noticed that too. I figured Surly just wanted to show that their new trailer can work on (almost) any bike, and not just the Troll that has a special mount built into the dropout.

That's what I'm guessing...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey Vikb,
    Did you have to heat the brake bosses to get them loose? The one time I tried wrenching the brake post out of a Surly fork (no heat), I REALLY cranked on it and it still wouldn't crack loose.

Page 1 of 58 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast