Very (scary)
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member

Troll

Here's one of my new Troll.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-loco-2014-05-10-14-15-23.jpg  

The best way to revive anybody suspected of being dead is with good beer!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hammockman View Post
    Here's one of my new Troll.
    Looks good, any closer pictures?
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by L4NE4 View Post
    Looks good, any closer pictures?
    I changed out the Jones loop bars with my older Marin's with bar ends and I like it much better for the killer hills around here. I'll put a close up pic or two when I get a chance in a few days. I have to say I love this bike.
    The best way to revive anybody suspected of being dead is with good beer!

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by hungerartist View Post
    Yo Troll'ers I'm about to finally build up my wheels (I'm running discs, by the way). I currently have a pair of MTX 33s: 36h for the rear and 32h for the front, but I'm having second thoughts about my planned wheelset...

I ordered a Schmidt SON 28 dynohub, and impulsively chose a 36h for the front for added durability (I know 32h is just fine, but I figured why not since a little bit of extra weight doesn't bother me as I bikepack light without panniers), so looks like I'll be running 36h rear and 36h front.

I'd like to run at least 2.7" tires, ideally 3" if they fit. So, I'm wondering how well a 33mm rim such as the MTX 33 will hold up with semi fat tires as wide as 3"? Should I exchange them with MTX 39s, or an even wider rim? What do y'all think?
    MTX-33's play well with my Troll. That's all I know. Here are some pictures:

'10 Rocky Mountain Metropolis (rigid 2x10)
    '10 SURLY 1x1 (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Ogre (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Troll (rigid 2x10)

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

1st build. So excited to get it on the trails!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    What is the biggest MTB tyre to fit on troll fork?
    I am thinking of building another set of wheels for 26+ tyres. Maybe with 40mm rims. 2.7" to the back and bigger in front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think the website states that the max tire size is 2.7. With 40mm rims you'd probably be too wide. If you ran some rims with a 30mm internal measurement with schwalbe 2.4 tires you would have a lot of rubber on the ground without hating your life on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    3.0 in the front

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FinPhotographer View Post
    What is the biggest MTB tyre to fit on troll fork?
    I am thinking of building another set of wheels for 26+ tyres. Maybe with 40mm rims. 2.7" to the back and bigger in front.
    Knard 26+ on Troll, Any experience?

Yep.

mtbr member
    I have my next ride narrowed down to the Troll or the Salsa Fargo and was looking for feedback on how the Jones loop handlebars work with the Troll versus the Surly Open bars. Either have a better "natural fit" than the other? The Jones are intriguing to me as I've never seen them in person.

Graveyard Shift
    Jul 2014
    Hello, I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with modifying a Surly Troll fork to be compatible with the connector dropouts that Schmidt's SL dynamo hubs are using. I'm pretty much deadset on the Surly Troll fork on my bike but quick and convenient front wheel removal is something that I prize as well, and I'm worried that repeated unplugging of a standard dynamo hub from its connecting wires will put one or both at risk of undue wear and potential damage.

My big worry is just that the dropouts might not have the real estate to work with the connector plates. Thaaaanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cassavant89 View Post
    I have my next ride narrowed down to the Troll or the Salsa Fargo and was looking for feedback on how the Jones loop handlebars work with the Troll versus the Surly Open bars. Either have a better "natural fit" than the other? The Jones are intriguing to me as I've never seen them in person.
    Hmmm, besides the simple personal preference the bars are pretty similar. Major difference is the material: steel on the open versus alloy on the jones. The steel offers much more flex especially with the smaller clamp diameter but its a meaty bar. Not that trollers (or I) are weight weenies. As far as hand placement, I can't tell much of a difference. I will say the loop bar has more options for auxiliary hand placements and more space to mount lights and computers and bells and figurines. Also, I know the jones bar that now comes stock on the troll is the result of surly working with jones and is wider than the previous versions.

Unless you dig the steel just get the jones. With that said I like my open bar and it's half the price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by float nasty View Post
    Hmmm, besides the simple personal preference the bars are pretty similar. Major difference is the material: steel on the open versus alloy on the jones. The steel offers much more flex especially with the smaller clamp diameter but its a meaty bar. Not that trollers (or I) are weight weenies. As far as hand placement, I can't tell much of a difference. I will say the loop bar has more options for auxiliary hand placements and more space to mount lights and computers and bells and figurines. Also, I know the jones bar that now comes stock on the troll is the result of surly working with jones and is wider than the previous versions.

Unless you dig the steel just get the jones. With that said I like my open bar and it's half the price.
    Thanks man!

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Well it looks like Surly is too cool to sell to "chain stores" now so I will not be getting a Troll after all. Kinda bummed about it, might get rid of my KM too (and stop recommending their stuff), gotta support those who support you if you know what I mean.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'll bite. Where are you trying to order it?

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Surly is still cool and they produce a great product!
    They just don't want to sell their soul to some big box store.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    I'll bite. Where are you trying to order it?
    I'm trying to order straight from QBP, who I have been a customer of for over ten years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    Surly is still cool and they produce a great product!
    They just don't want to sell their soul to some big box store.
    I love the company and the product but if I can't sell or purchase their stuff it's worthless to me. No point to be promoting something I can't buy or sell.

And I don't think they are doing it to protect their image, I think they are bummed that their bikes didn't sell very well, and thus went on super clearance prompting IBDs to stop buying because they couldn't compete.

And don't think Surly was ever was shy about being owned by a HUGE corporation. Them "selling their soul" would be like Mountain Dew selling their soul.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Surly Troll
    by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

Up until this last February I made my living for 6 years working in a large independent bike shop selling Rocky Mountain and Specialized bicycles. Because the shop was not willing to sell complete Surlys we were not able to sell anything other than their parts and accessories. As an employee of a bike shop I was able to buy Surly bikes for our own use. Even though selling Rockys and Specialized bikes put food on my table, the only Rocky bike I own is a 1994 Fusion, the only Specialized bike we own is my wife's Tokyo Langster, I ride Surlys because they are the bike best suited to me and the type of riding I do. I also separate work and play.

mtbr member
    Look at this--World Troller. Pretty cool.

World Troller | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    SU makes a good point. There is no subsitute for the Troll. I guess I'm just pissed about paying full price. Though I did get a hint from one of the Surly guys they they may set it up so I can still get stuff at cost. And that World Troller and 650b Straggler look AMAZING.

A God Without A Name
    I like that user Ultraspontane went and Neg Repped a post of mine in this thread from December of 2013.

because that's how you show the world you mean business. you give a meaningless negative point to someone on a bicycle forum.

I am in awe of his composure. much man, very intimidated.

He directed me to "shut up" Which means clearly, he desires I do the opposite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I like that user Ultraspontane went and Neg Repped a post of mine in this thread from December of 2013.

because that's how you show the world you mean business. you give a meaningless negative point to someone on a bicycle forum.

I am in awe of his composure. much man, very intimidated.

He directed me to "shut up" Which means clearly, he desires I do the opposite.
    The only way to kill that kind of troll is through silence.

Think about it.
    Feel free to be a little strange.
    Be a little strange to feel free.

A God Without A Name
    I hear you. I just can't shut up when told. It's not how I'm wired.

not like my feelings are effected here, just my sense of spite.

My apologies for derailleuring the thread.

mtbr member
    Back on track...

I'd like to see a troll riden by someone 6'3" ish. My current commuter/rackedandbefendered/"normal bike" is great but could be improved by swapping in a troll frameset. Just musings here. Nothing likely to happen anytime soon.

Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6 46 52 53 54 55 56 57 LastLast