Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1418

Thread: Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    love that purple, can't wait to get mine!

iphilrive
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    love that purple, can't wait to get mine!
    Yeah it's a sweet color!

mtbr member
    We did this Troll build for a customer who was looking for a rugged travel bike. We had to get the frame modified with a belt drive splitter and S&S couplers. We'd never done S&S couplers on a Troll, but everything came together perfectly. Pretty cool that the Troll dropouts are Rohloff-specific.

The Monkey Lab: Surly Troll with S&S couplers, belt drive, and Rohloff SPEEDHUB 500/14

Surly Troll-green-troll_whole-bike-main.jpg

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleMonkey View Post
    We did this Troll build for a customer who was looking for a rugged travel bike. We had to get the frame modified with a belt drive splitter and S&S couplers. We'd never done S&S couplers on a Troll, but everything came together perfectly. Pretty cool that the Troll dropouts are Rohloff-specific.

The Monkey Lab: Surly Troll with S&S couplers, belt drive, and Rohloff SPEEDHUB 500/14

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Troll_whole bike main.jpg 
Views:	1886 
Size:	454.4 KB 
ID:	849906
    Drool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey CycleMonkey,

That's a fine looking Troll that you've built up for hopefully a very happy customer.

What size are those Schwalbe Marathon Extremes?

Thanks,
    Dan

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleMonkey View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Troll_whole bike main.jpg 
Views:	1886 
Size:	454.4 KB 
ID:	849906
    Yeah, a cool Troll I guess. But for the massive coin involved here I would have advised the customer to just go for a Co-Motion Pangea instead:

Co-Motion Pangea Rohloff

The Co-Motion frame is purpose-designed and factory built with S&S and Gates belt fittings from the get-go. Excellent Reynolds tube-set that rings like a fine bell when tapped with your finger. And some of the most stunningly beautiful paint finishes you will ever behold on a bicycle.

I love my Troll, but I love it for its proletariat nature. Putting one together will all this expensive make-over work is like trying to turn Miley Cyrus into Juliette Binochet. (Or something...)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Miley comment deserves a bunch of positive rep. IMO the Pangea is more like a LHT, and of course there is the travel version, the Trucker Deluxe pre built to travel. Agreed Co-Motion does build beautiful bikes. If Surly built a bike with Surly Cro-Mo and Co-Motion built a bike with Reynolds 725 and the geometry was exactly the same how much difference do you think we would feel in the ride? Different yes, better though???

Can't Co-Motion find an seat tube in a common size, 29.8mm?, is that for real?

Cycle Psycho
    Why does my 18" Troll have all these rack-mounts, when the chainstays are too short to use panniers without hitting my heels as I pedal? I'm just curious. (these are with the smallest Ortlieb "City Front" panniers - in the rear)

EDIT - I got it all worked out. Just barely clearing my heels by about 10mm, but it's working. Just went for a ride in the wet snow (warm enough to melt as it touches the ground, leaving puddles), and I LOVE MY FENDERS! I always forget how much I love them, and then I remember when I'm the only person in sight riding through the slush and sleet.
    Last edited by Gritter; 11-26-2013 at 04:07 PM.

iphilrive
    looking at co-motion, i want that pathfinder package! for my troll and ogre!

Name:  pathfinder_pkg.png
Views: 1137
Size:  238.4 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    Why does my 18" Troll have all these rack-mounts, when the chainstays are too short to use panniers without hitting my heels as I pedal? I'm just curious. (these are with the smallest Ortlieb "City Front" panniers - in the rear)
    I have a Tubus rack mounted to the rear of my Troll and over the past four years have used three different sets of panniers and have no issue with my heels hitting the bags. This is on a 22" Troll and I have size 11.5 US feet.

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by sharalds View Post
    I have a Tubus rack mounted to the rear of my Troll and over the past four years have used three different sets of panniers and have no issue with my heels hitting the bags. This is on a 22" Troll and I have size 11.5 US feet.
    Which model Tubus Rack is that? Does the 22" frame provide anymore clearance? (the Surly website lists all sizes with 16.5" chainstays)

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm running 180mm cranks, which only adds to my problem. I wear size 11 - 11.5 shoes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iphilrive View Post
    looking at co-motion, i want that pathfinder package! for my troll and ogre!

Name:  pathfinder_pkg.png
Views: 1137
Size:  238.4 KB
    I can't find it on the site, a link?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    dont' want to get off track but i bought a charging set up from a guy in Australia, he does custom 3d printed light boxes matched up to a 4 or 6 cell AA switchable battery box with a 1000lm headlight, awesome self sustaining goodness.

kLite.com.au Dynamo Lighting Systems. (december special is free shipping worldwide)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaly66 View Post
    Yeah, a cool Troll I guess. But for the massive coin involved here I would have advised the customer to just go for a Co-Motion Pangea instead:

Co-Motion Pangea Rohloff

The Co-Motion frame is purpose-designed and factory built with S&S and Gates belt fittings from the get-go. Excellent Reynolds tube-set that rings like a fine bell when tapped with your finger. And some of the most stunningly beautiful paint finishes you will ever behold on a bicycle.

I love my Troll, but I love it for its proletariat nature. Putting one together will all this expensive make-over work is like trying to turn Miley Cyrus into Juliette Binochet. (Or something...)

Good idea. We actually considered a Pangea, but he was specific about wanting a mountain bike geometry. Even with the modifications, this frame still costs half the price of the equivalent Pangea.

mtbr member
    Thanks Dan. I think the tires are 2.0 inch. Our customer brought them in separately.

mtbr member
    Could somebody with a Troll and some reasonably big tires [2.3"+] measure from the ground to the center of your BB for me please? Thanks!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Cycle Psycho
    The center of my BB to ground with Scwalbe Big Apples 26 x 2.15 (or 559 x 55) is 11 and 11/16" or 296.8625mm. (11.6875")

I figure 2.3" tires would add about 3.81mm to that measurement, so 300.6725mm or 11.8375 inches.

Hope that helps . . .

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    With 2.5" Nevegals it was 11.75", with my 2.1" 650b Nevegals it's 12".
    Last edited by Saddle Up; 11-27-2013 at 01:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    With 2.5" Nevegals it was 11.75", with my 2.1" 650b Nevegals it's 12".
    What is the internal width of the rim? Because it affects to the height of the tyre.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the BB heights....
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

iphilrive
    Finished the troll for the little troll. One small problem is that i need a 10 speed rear derailleur that will work with microshift shifters anyone know of anything?

Attachment 850569

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My Troll with CST Cyclops Pro 2.4" tires on SunRingle MTX33 rims has a center bottom bracket of 11.75". I think my Conti Trail King 2.4" tires have almost the same exact height or a smidgen taller.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    pic not working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by iphilrive View Post
    Finished the troll for the little troll. One small problem is that i need a 10 speed rear derailleur that will work with microshift shifters anyone know of anything?

Attachment 850569

iphilrive
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    pic not working for me.
    yeah for some reason it didn't want me to upload in both ogre and troll forums. and i deleted it but i guess it hasn't been deleted yet? i shall have more pictures up here pretty soon, suppose to be like 50* here Sunday!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My new Troll!
    I bought this frameset and got most of the parts from my Cannondale F400 transferred over, swapped over the Easton EA70 seatpost from my Thorn, along with an Easton EA70 stem I had in my parts box. I also bought a new Brooks Team Pro saddle, and a Hope headset and Hope seatpost clamp, to go with the Hope hubs.
    Oh, and the Marathon Extremes are 2.25"

Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 ... LastLast