Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1418

Thread: Surly Troll

iphilrive

little troll for the little troll

so far i don't have much i am building two bikes at once! it kinda sucks i'm broke all the time haha.

currently:
    frame: surly 14' troll
    custom wheel set:
    -deore hubs
    -dt swiss spokes
    -purple nipples
    -mtx33 rims
    tires: schwalbe big apples 26x2.35
    stem: dimension 31.8
    handlebars: civia humboldt 31.8
    headset: pink chris king
    bottom bracket: pink chris king
    seat post clamp: pink phil wood
    seat post: civia 27.2 330mm

I will continue to post as i'm finishing up here before January!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    iphildrive, whats your wife's height and inseam? i'm thinking of building my wife a troll too but not sure if she's good with a 14" or 16".

iphilrive
    Quote Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
    iphildrive, whats your wife's height and inseam? i'm thinking of building my wife a troll too but not sure if she's good with a 14" or 16".
    she is 5ft2' with about a 28" inseam.

i was on the same boat and couldn't decide. i went with the size chart on the website and i'm glad i went with the 14" and i'm still going to have to cut the seat post!

hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaly66 View Post
    You're overthinking this.

Just ride the Troll as a Troll, nimble and flexible. Plus, never mind the 650b hype, guys have somehow been managing to ride 26-inch wheels over all kinds of **** for a few decades now. You can too!
    But I dont't have Troll, yet. And I want a 650B bike. For the last 12 years I have ridden with a 26" bombproof trekking bike.
    Only big question is. Does the Troll work well with 650B tires?

if I am building a bike for next 30 years or so. I want to be as sure as possible

A God Without A Name
    If I am building a bike for the next 30 years I tend to not pick parts sizes that came out 30 minutes ago.

I mean, If you want slightly better slighty differentness. by all means. 26, 27.5, 29....

Surly Troll-dsc00254.jpg

I dunno about you. but just LOOKING at that picture makes me a better rider.

Quality is better than different. New standards may be better, but they're marginally better.

It will probably fit 650B quite well. not that it needs to. Or will benefit from it.

mtbr member
    In some ways, the Troll is good for a long term bike. Of course it fits 26" wheels, and with discs, it'll fit 650B fine. The only issue would be a slightly higher (0.5") bottom bracket. Some people may like that some not.

Compared to a 650B specific frame, which is almost guaranteed to be disc only, and thus loses some of the versatility of the Troll.

I just sold a frame today, maybe I'm selling myself on (another) Troll...
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i had a troll about a year ago, sold it and now wishing i hadn't. loving the new purple colour and thinking of buying another one.
    also considering the 650b option. I have a new Giant Trance in that size wheel and really like it, i can see it being a great option on the troll.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

This was the top hit on a Google Image Search for "Surly Troll Dropout"...
    :P

That big hole below the two little holes is threaded?

mtbr member
    I don't know my wife's inseam, so I'm not very helpful here, but we were choosing between the 14" and the 16" also, and went with the 14", which is a very interesting frame. With the long fork up front, a riser bar, and plenty of seatpost exposed, it's very comfortable for her and has loads of standover. She is about 5'5" and running a 100mm stem and an Open Bar with 40mm rise.

Better to go smaller than larger, I'd say, if your wife has any doubt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    :P

That big hole below the two little holes is threaded?
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    If I am building a bike for the next 30 years I tend to not pick parts sizes that came out 30 minutes ago.

I mean, If you want slightly better slighty differentness. by all means. 26, 27.5, 29....

Quality is better than different. New standards may be better, but they're marginally better.

It will probably fit 650B quite well. not that it needs to. Or will benefit from it.
    Troll actually has almost the same BB drop than most of the 650B MTB options. Troll 40mm, Soma B-side 39mm, Gasventinove 650B 45mm, Kona Explosif 42mm. Pipedream Sirius has BB drop of 15mm and they advertise the bike as 650B compatible
    I know the bb drop isn't everything, but I think it is maybe the most affecting part of the geometry when changing wheel size.

And I could always downgrade to 26" ( like I would do that.. ).

iphilrive
    @mattbryant2 i am super jealous of that blogspot you need to update it though!

iphilrive
    Troll | Bikes | Surly Bikes look at the standover height!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    I don't know my wife's inseam, so I'm not very helpful here, but we were choosing between the 14" and the 16" also, and went with the 14", which is a very interesting frame. With the long fork up front, a riser bar, and plenty of seatpost exposed, it's very comfortable for her and has loads of standover. She is about 5'5" and running a 100mm stem and an Open Bar with 40mm rise.

A full day goes by and no one has made any off-color innuendo from any of this? Is this the same MTBR I signed up for!? In a Surly thread none the less! For shame!

"This (post)is ripe for parody! This is ripe!"

Annnnnyhow... Ignore those uncouth remarks. I had my Troll all dressed down as a single speed, trying to make it a 1x1. Which now feels almost as blasphemous as people who start fabricating ways to hang a derailer on an actual 1x1.

Well, one bike tour and an extra 10 mile a day commute, and he's happy as a clam as a 2x8 (had a perfectly good unused 8 speed cassette). Now I need a 1x1 frame to hang all the single speed stuff on...

...or another Troll. Oh dear.
    Actually I could swap from single speed to 2xwhatever with just the one bike... in about forty min, but it's not quite as enticing as the quick 30 second swap of SS to IGH. Plus it has racks mounted. And soon fenders.

Also Jonesing for one of those new Surly issued Jones bars for my old Orange Troll. Now that says bike-tractor to me.

iphilrive
    Quote Originally Posted by bike for days View Post

Also Jonesing for one of those new Surly issued Jones bars for my old Orange Troll. Now that says bike-tractor to me.
    i don't know how i feel about the jones bars..

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Love the Jones bar! I have one on my Ogre and i'm about to dive head long into an other Troll build, not sure if i'll invest in another Jones bar for it or stick with they on-one Mary bar i have laying around idle.

mtbr member
    If you go down to 1x8 (or whatever), it then becomes very quick to change from single speed to geared: pull of the shifter to derailer as one unit, change the chain (with quick links), change the cog on the rear. Maybe 15 minutes.

A full day goes by and no one has made any off-color innuendo from any of this? Is this the same MTBR I signed up for!? In a Surly thread none the less! For shame!

Annnnnyhow... Ignore those uncouth remarks. I had my Troll all dressed down as a single speed, trying to make it a 1x1. Which now feels almost as blasphemous as people who start fabricating ways to hang a derailer on an actual 1x1.

Well, one bike tour and an extra 10 mile a day commute, and he's happy as a clam as a 2x8 (had a perfectly good unused 8 speed cassette). Now I need a 1x1 frame to hang all the single speed stuff on...

Actually I could swap from single speed to 2xwhatever with just the one bike... in about forty min, but it's not quite as enticing as the quick 30 second swap of SS to IGH. Plus it has racks mounted. And soon fenders.

WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    If you go down to 1x8 (or whatever), it then becomes very quick to change from single speed to geared: pull of the shifter to derailer as one unit, change the chain (with quick links), change the cog on the rear. Maybe 15 minutes.
    This is helpfull... but not helpfull in justifying a new bike build.

iphilrive
    This is helpfull... but not helpfull in justifying a new bike build.
    NEW TROLL! haha.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FinPhotographer View Post
    But I dont't have Troll, yet. And I want a 650B bike. For the last 12 years I have ridden with a 26" bombproof trekking bike.
    Only big question is. Does the Troll work well with 650B tires?

if I am building a bike for next 30 years or so. I want to be as sure as possible
    There is no downside to putting 650b wheels on a Troll.

These 650b 2.1" Nevegals are not much bigger in diameter...
    Surly Troll

...than these 26" 2.5" Nevegals. Just a lot lighter.
    Surly Instigator

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post

well thanks. I'll definitely go with the 14"for my wife. My current bike is a 17" Kona with straight bar with the same ETT as the 16"Troll .
    I'm actually decided to go for the 16" because the ETT is spot on for me
    . Adding a Jones bar would make it a bit relaxed position wise I thought, but I'm having 2nd thoughts now if I should just opt for the 14" instead. I think I'll just order a 14" first for my wife then decide after for what mine would be. damn Troll...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Dude, you're buying a second Troll?! You should do what I'd do if I was looking for a second MTB/had the money, and get a fatbike that can also take 29er/29+ wheels...

Anyway, I just took my Troll out on a very nice overnighter in the Judean Mountains west of Jerusalem. Really beautiful country, and tons of dirt roads to blast down as I dropped about 600 meters over 2 half-days of riding. The trip was supposed to be longer but I had a rack-bolt failure (i.e. my dumb ass failed to tighten things properly) and I lost some of the screws I needed...oh well.

Anyway, here go some Trollpix....

Full ride report here: https://sites.google.com/site/julian.../jerusalem2013
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-qm0rkt4h.jpg  

www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

2014 Troll

2014 Troll complete now listed at Universal:

Universal Cycles -- Surly Troll Complete Bike - Deep Purple

$1700!!! That's $250 smacks upside the head more than the 2013 model. Fookin Jones bar and what else?

Edit: ok, a 180mm front rotor and thumbies shifters. Still a bogus lot of more coin for the cost of Troll living...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Seventeen freaking hundred? I'm sure glad I got mine in 2011 for $1250...what happened to Surly bikes being affordable?
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

mtbr member
    The price of everything in the bike industry is going up and Surly isn't getting any smaller with time..

Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 53 ... LastLast