Page 39 of 59 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 975 of 1464

Thread: Surly Troll

  1. #951
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,508
    I love my Troll.

    Jumping Pound Loop Trail

  2. #952
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4
    Hi roxo56, love the bike. Is that a 20" or 22" frame?? Cheers

  3. #953
    mtbr noob
    Reputation: roxo56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by mickrogers View Post
    Hi roxo56, love the bike. Is that a 20" or 22" frame?? Cheers
    It's a 20", i'm 186cm tall and it fits like a glove. I love it.
    roxo56
    Surly Troll
    SC Butcher

  4. #954
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by island-radler View Post
    Could you send me a picture from a mounted Ortlieb front roller?
    I really can't fix the bag safelyAttachment 813013Attachment 813014

    Thanks for any other advices!!
    Here is the front roller on the OMM Sherpa front rack.


  5. #955
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    60
    Here is the bike fully loaded.


  6. #956
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    60
    and one more...


  7. #957
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Desert Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    363
    Damn, the Troll is where its at! I have a 22inch 2012 Karate Monkey, but I sure wish I had a Troll. I would so trade for one if I could!
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

  8. #958
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    342
    I really dig my Troll as well. Yes, I like a more upright, comfy ride position The bars have been tilted down in the tail since the pictures to fit my natural hand position better. The Monkey Nutz in the back help the ride be a little smoother with extra length and improve the shifting a bit with the axle to derailleur position.

    Surly Troll-troll-2-small.jpg

    Surly Troll-troll-3-side-small.jpg

    Surly Troll-troll-4-front-angle-small.jpg

    The Nitto Bosco bars double wrapped Will probably change the brake levers out for some that have a smooth clamp and no top bolt to take out the lumps
    Surly Troll-bosco-bars-1-small.jpg

  9. #959
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    62
    Hey those Boscos look the business! Never would have thought of them for the Troll, but your pix prove the move. Tx!

  10. #960
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1
    Hello all, I'm new and just got a shiny new Troll a couple weeks ago! Stock except:

    - Schwalbe Rapid Rob 2.1" tires
    - Race Face "Air Alloy" flat bars, grey
    - Selle Royal "Hawk" saddle, miscellaneous cheap bin from LBS but quite comfy
    - Misc bar ends! (I understand these are pretty out of fashion, but I'm a noob and it's nice to have alternate hand positions)
    - Flipped stem in lowest position (yes, I should probably get the steerer tube trimmed down)



    I found the flat bars to be significantly nicer than the Surly Open Bars on singletrack, but I missed the additional hand positions, therefore kinda fugly but functional bar ends!

    I love this bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-9710087131_12d7167898_z.jpg  


  11. #961
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EatWorkRide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    72
    Nice Troll!! And bar ends are still in style to me. I love em and they will never take them from my Ogre!!


    Surly Troll-ogretrail.jpg

  12. #962
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vaultbrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    816
    ^ Indeed. Bar ends are the business. Nothing at all wrong with them on a bike meant for riding.

  13. #963
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,691
    The more I see the purple Trolls, the more I like them. What are my chances of finding a used one in a 22" frame?


    Quote Originally Posted by jjkurczak View Post
    Hello all, I'm new and just got a shiny new Troll a couple weeks ago! Stock except:

    - Schwalbe Rapid Rob 2.1" tires
    - Race Face "Air Alloy" flat bars, grey
    - Selle Royal "Hawk" saddle, miscellaneous cheap bin from LBS but quite comfy
    - Misc bar ends! (I understand these are pretty out of fashion, but I'm a noob and it's nice to have alternate hand positions)
    - Flipped stem in lowest position (yes, I should probably get the steerer tube trimmed down)


    I found the flat bars to be significantly nicer than the Surly Open Bars on singletrack, but I missed the additional hand positions, therefore kinda fugly but functional bar ends!

    I love this bike
    WTB: Specialized AWOL XL, Salsa Fargo gen 2 XL, Salsa El Mariachi 2014+ XL
    My blog about bikes and playgrounds.

  14. #964
    Positively negative
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    I love my Troll.

    Jumping Pound Loop Trail
    Simple and beautiful. Such a nice bike.

  15. #965
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    120
    Gang,

    Just pulled the trigger on a black 2013 Troll. Stoked. I've been riding an "18 inch" 1x1 for ages, but it was just too small, especially for commuting. Stoked for the better fit, and huge flexibility.

    One question for you all: do any of you run PlanetBike full fenders with V-Brakes? They didn't work on my 1x1 and I'd love to get some tips on using them on this bike, cause I'm tired of wet roads etc. ruining my clothes. I could run discs, but it would mean getting a new front wheel etc.etc.etc....

  16. #966
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,691
    Why didn't they work on your 1x1? The only issue I see is you may need to make some kind of hanger to drop the front fender attachment down from the for crown. This allows the fender to better follow the tire and to clear under the V brake straddle cable.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcitizen1 View Post
    Gang,

    Just pulled the trigger on a black 2013 Troll. Stoked. I've been riding an "18 inch" 1x1 for ages, but it was just too small, especially for commuting. Stoked for the better fit, and huge flexibility.

    One question for you all: do any of you run PlanetBike full fenders with V-Brakes? They didn't work on my 1x1 and I'd love to get some tips on using them on this bike, cause I'm tired of wet roads etc. ruining my clothes. I could run discs, but it would mean getting a new front wheel etc.etc.etc....
    WTB: Specialized AWOL XL, Salsa Fargo gen 2 XL, Salsa El Mariachi 2014+ XL
    My blog about bikes and playgrounds.

  17. #967
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Why didn't they work on your 1x1? The only issue I see is you may need to make some kind of hanger to drop the front fender attachment down from the for crown. This allows the fender to better follow the tire and to clear under the V brake straddle cable.
    It's the whole rigging of a fender attachment I don't find ideal. Thought maybe somehow that problem may have been solved on the Troll as it's such a do-everything kind bike. I'd love to see pics if you guys have them of some fender riggings.

  18. #968
    troll
    Reputation: brokebike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    120
    I've almost always had to find an extra piece of metal, or fashion something out of scrap metal to drop my fenders down some and bring them closer to the tire. Like suggested above, this may bring you down far enough to clear the straddle cable. Also, you may need to notch out the sides to clear the arms, depending on how wide you're going. A Dremel tool is your friend when fitting fenders. You'd think they would learn by now to include extra bits for mounting in all sorts of situations, but they typically do not have what you need.

  19. #969
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    120
    I find it weird Surly doesn't just sell fenders that work with all their big-clearanced frames.

  20. #970
    troll
    Reputation: brokebike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by jcitizen1 View Post
    It's the whole rigging of a fender attachment I don't find ideal. Thought maybe somehow that problem may have been solved on the Troll as it's such a do-everything kind bike. I'd love to see pics if you guys have them of some fender riggings.
    Surly gets it close, but no bike is perfectly designed for every rider's setup. Part of the joy and pain of owning bikes is rigging them up to fit your specific needs!

  21. #971
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,691
    It's basically math: if you want to be able to fit a suspension fork, you need a rigid fork with lots of clearance above the tire. This puts the fender attachment further from the tire. I guess you could make a fork with a lower crown, then a straight section below the fork crown race, but that would look really strange.


    Quote Originally Posted by jcitizen1 View Post
    It's the whole rigging of a fender attachment I don't find ideal. Thought maybe somehow that problem may have been solved on the Troll as it's such a do-everything kind bike. I'd love to see pics if you guys have them of some fender riggings.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL XL, Salsa Fargo gen 2 XL, Salsa El Mariachi 2014+ XL
    My blog about bikes and playgrounds.

  22. #972
    Positively negative
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    It's basically math: if you want to be able to fit a suspension fork, you need a rigid fork with lots of clearance above the tire. This puts the fender attachment further from the tire. I guess you could make a fork with a lower crown, then a straight section below the fork crown race, but that would look really strange.
    Or a company, like problem solvers, could make some sort of light mount/fender mount that filled that space. I have been pondering something for my KM using a star nut in the bottom but lack of fabrication equipment and rain have been holding me back.

  23. #973
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattbryant2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,130
    How about some bridge for mounting fenders that mounts to the unused brake bosses? Someone can take that idea if they make me a couple of sets for my Ogre and Troll.

  24. #974
    Cycle Psycho
    Reputation: Gritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    How about some bridge for mounting fenders that mounts to the unused brake bosses? Someone can take that idea if they make me a couple of sets for my Ogre and Troll.
    I've seen people use a regular "brake booster" U-Shaped bracket for this purpose. There are a few with the hole already centered.

  25. #975
    Positively negative
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Or a company, like problem solvers, could make some sort of light mount/fender mount that filled that space. I have been pondering something for my KM using a star nut in the bottom but lack of fabrication equipment and rain have been holding me back.
    Problem Solvers Fender Flute: fits fender on tall fork - Harris Cyclery bicycle shop - West Newton, Massachusetts

    Doesn't sound as elaborate as I was thinking but for that price it must be nice.

Page 39 of 59 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •