Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334
Results 1,651 to 1,669 of 1669

Thread: Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hello Trollers,

I'm building a Troll at the moment and I'm having some problems with the last parts. I need tubeless ready wheelsets for an sram 11 speed. I like them affordable, oh and I am planning on putting 2.5" tires on it.
    Anyone can help me with some suggestions?
    Last edited by Hyloba; 07-27-2016 at 03:24 AM.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyloba View Post
    Hello Trollers,

I'm building a Troll at the moment and I'm having some problems with the last parts. I need tubeless ready wheelsets for an sram 11 speed. I like them affordable, oh and I am planning on putting 2.5" tires on it.
    Anyone can help me with some suggestions?
    Velocity Wheels - Hand Made in USA
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Though I can't seem to find a store which ships to my country in Europe. Know of anything else?

mtbr member
    So, I can't believe this thread is quiet given the announcement of changes coming to the Troll.

I've long lusted for a Troll, as it's my namesake bike and the first Durly that caught my eye when I jumped back into cycling a few years ago. After riding a Pugsley for awhile and burned many many miles on a Cross Check, I'm finally ready for a Troll.

I picked up some 650b wheels, Crazy bars, a new Brooks to put on it, all the parts I need, and now all the old frames are gone in Medium. I actually kibd of really want the old design with the corrected fork, as it leaves me the option to SS mtb it with a squishy fork. I'm not as stoked on the updated frame. What does everyone else think?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mochunk View Post
    So, I can't believe this thread is quiet given the announcement of changes coming to the Troll.

I've long lusted for a Troll, as it's my namesake bike and the first Durly that caught my eye when I jumped back into cycling a few years ago. After riding a Pugsley for awhile and burned many many miles on a Cross Check, I'm finally ready for a Troll.

I picked up some 650b wheels, Crazy bars, a new Brooks to put on it, all the parts I need, and now all the old frames are gone in Medium. I actually kibd of really want the old design with the corrected fork, as it leaves me the option to SS mtb it with a squishy fork. I'm not as stoked on the updated frame. What does everyone else think?
    I, too, preferred the old design. I like the option of adding a fork, and actually ran mine that way for a long time. I have it set up rigid with drop bars now, so really would be perfect for the new frame, but ill be keeping my old one for the versatility. Part of what made it so attractive in the first place. Very Surly.

I do like the added tire clearance of the redesign though, I swapped the Pugs for and Instigator, would have been fun to swap wheelset to the Troll in the winter for commuting. If that and the added bosses would have been the only change, then i might be ordering a new frame, but alas, ill stick with my purple.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I feel I may be stuck getting a used complete to get the black medium I want.

I also thought about replacing my Pugs with the Troll as a 3" winter comnuter since my Pugs has been pushed aside as my main Mtb as I won a sweet FS mtb. BUT I planned to run the Troll as a townie/bar hopper SS. Having to switch drivetrains AND wheels twice a year may be more than I may be willing to do. I'm lazy when it comes to bike work

I nay just have to bude my time to frind just the right frame, just irks me to do so since I've had this built in my head for years...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mochunk View Post
    There's another thread where it's being discussed. It seems to me like it's a trade-off: remove the suspension fork option and add the wider hub option. Of the two, I feel like I'm more likely to use the suspension fork, but in reality I have not added a suspension fork, nor have I found myself wanting a wider hub. So apart from that, the new Troll has a little more room in the triangle for a bag and can take a little wider tires. Both positive changes if you didn't care about the suspension correction. But neither are big enough changes for me to want to change out my frame.

mtbr member
    mochunk, you could always order a 1x1 frameset. Same geo as the old Troll.
    2015 Surly Ice Cream Truck
    2016 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I grabbed a world troller for myself right as I closed down my bike shop.

for me, the framebag that fits my medium krampus fits my medium pugsley, fits the medium world troller, fits my pivot les.

Add in the fact I can run a fork or not, and I can swap the wheels from my big dummy (rohloff/schmidt) means that I could build it as a fuselage and hang it from a rafter. then when I need to go somewhere, pull the wheels of the dummy, throw it in a travel box cut in half (love the s&s/ritchey travel bikes) and away I go.

for me, the original design is better. if you are looking for one, look to the s&s bike. very few people who have bought a travel bike regret owning one. and I can never not own one again....

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    mochunk, I have a 2012 Troll and have used suspension forks with 26 inch wheels. I now have 27.5 wheels and want to install suspension forks but not sure if it will work with the geometry.

Do you know of anyone that has used SS forks with the 27.5 wheelset?

iphilrive

Favorite Troll!

Long time reader of this forum! I finally have the time to upload a photo of my troll!

Surly Troll-20160912_143425.jpg
    instagram: _skinnytwig #justpedal

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I also am thinking of throwing Ergon grips (biokork gc-1 look beautiful!) on my jones h-bar... But i"m not sure how it would fare with that sweep. Do you have more thoughts on it? I don't care how it looks so much as if it would increase my comfort and hand positions. Currently I have ESI chunky grips and it feels nice but I wonder about the Ergons all the time..

Did I catch a niner+?
    There are not really a lot of thoughts on grips except its a personal thing like saddles. I have a set of GC-1 grips on my On-One Mary bars with a big sweep like the Jones bars (have used Jones in past) and they're about as comfortable as it gets for me and keeping my wrist aligned. The only thing I will say is with these grips if you have the 710 Jones bars you are going to have a lot of bar and limiting hand position unless you want to tape sections.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    There are not really a lot of thoughts on grips except its a personal thing like saddles. I have a set of GC-1 grips on my On-One Mary bars with a big sweep like the Jones bars (have used Jones in past) and they're about as comfortable as it gets for me and keeping my wrist aligned. The only thing I will say is with these grips if you have the 710 Jones bars you are going to have a lot of bar and limiting hand position unless you want to tape sections.
    Thanks! I do have the 710, I didn't understand your last sentence.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've got the biocork GC1's on order having first tried the ESI grips and presently with an old set of 'normal' ergons. I've not had the Troller built up long so am still experimenting with stem length and height as well as the grips.

What I've found so far...the ESI's aren't comfortable for me. I have them on another mountain bike with renthal bars and like them but I can't get comfortable with them on the Jones bar, it also gets pretty humid where I am in the Middle East which makes them slippery to grip. The ergons feel a lot more comfortable, my hands appreciate the palm rests, though of course it limits handmovement on that part of the bar. Looking at the profile of my old ergons I can see (and feel) they increase the sweep slightly - which is not what I want when I've already got 45° in the bar, and I am angling my hands slightly to compensate for it.

The GC1's do the opposite, though not by much, there will still be miles more sweep than on a regular set of bars.

After first ride I didn't think me and Jones were going to have a long relationship, but now I've got the height and stem length dialed in I like them. Hopefully the GC1's will perfect them.

I originally had the brake clamps butted up near the weld joints which us right where I like to grip when cruising much of the time. I've now moved them backwards to butt up against the ergons which is much better. The joint area is now 'clean' and I can actually operate the brakes without moving off the grips.

Some lizard skins DSP tape makes the loop so cushiony and comfy as well. I didn't think bare metal was uncomfortable - until i tried wrapping the tape on!

Cos I'm a shortarse the Jones bars feel maybe a bit to wide, I might cut them back to 660mm but holding off until I'm sure as there's no going back once its done!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Agster View Post
    I've got the biocork GC1's on order having first tried the ESI grips and presently with an old set of 'normal' ergons. I've not had the Troller built up long so am still experimenting with stem length and height as well as the grips.

What I've found so far...the ESI's aren't comfortable for me. I have them on another mountain bike with renthal bars and like them but I can't get comfortable with them on the Jones bar, it also gets pretty humid where I am in the Middle East which makes them slippery to grip. The ergons feel a lot more comfortable, my hands appreciate the palm rests, though of course it limits handmovement on that part of the bar. Looking at the profile of my old ergons I can see (and feel) they increase the sweep slightly - which is not what I want when I've already got 45° in the bar, and I am angling my hands slightly to compensate for it.

The GC1's do the opposite, though not by much, there will still be miles more sweep than on a regular set of bars.

After first ride I didn't think me and Jones were going to have a long relationship, but now I've got the height and stem length dialed in I like them. Hopefully the GC1's will perfect them.

I originally had the brake clamps butted up near the weld joints which us right where I like to grip when cruising much of the time. I've now moved them backwards to butt up against the ergons which is much better. The joint area is now 'clean' and I can actually operate the brakes without moving off the grips.

Some lizard skins DSP tape makes the loop so cushiony and comfy as well. I didn't think bare metal was uncomfortable - until i tried wrapping the tape on!

Cos I'm a shortarse the Jones bars feel maybe a bit to wide, I might cut them back to 660mm but holding off until I'm sure as there's no going back once its done!
    Thanks for the excellent response. I'm gonna try the biokork GC1s too.

My issue is like you - while the 710mm seem nice most of the time, because my brakes abut the (ESI chunky) grips, it just feels so wide and cruisery. I know i can grip close to the weld also, but then I dont have brakes and I ride in a city, so I cant have that.

BUT, like you say.. no turning back. I wish i had the exact same bike with a 660 so I can just understand what the diff would be.

Problem with the wide 710 is that if you graze something - a bush, a car mirrow - your bike instantly turns. When i ran a touring or cross drop bars (ritchey, etc) that was never an issue.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thinking of putting some Soma Gator bars on as they take a Rohloff shifter and maybe the new VO limp dick stem...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Like many of the rest of you, I'm running 710 Jones. I've done commuting, errand running, easy trails and touring with them. Very versatile and comfortable. The multiple hand positions are great. I don't ride the grips much (ergon bio cork), but enjoy tgem when I do. I've wrapped all but the front middle (reserved for a light and computer) with bartape, including the part of the bar that attaches to the srem.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Surly Troll
    by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334