Page 34 of 57 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

help picking a shorter stem??

Hi everyone!

I just got a stock Surly Troll about 4 months ago and I love this bike! It is an 18'' frame, I'm 5'9 with a 31 inch inseam. I'm using Ergon grips on the Surly Open bars.

I really like the Surly Open Bar, it is very comfortable for my wrists. But I feel that the handlebars could be 1'' closer to me for ultimate comfort (my shoulders and mid back hurt after about 20 miles of riding).

But there seems to be very little 25.4 stems on the market that would allow me to continue using the Open Bars.

The uses for this bike are

1. Daily commuter 15 miles a day.
    2. A 1500 mile tour next summer.

mtbr member
    Soma and Velo Orange both make 25.4 stems in a variety of lengths and angles.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Dimension, owned by QBP, who also owns Surly, makes all lengths and angles stems in 25.4 as well...cheap too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I used a Dimension +17, 90mm, 25.4" stem on my Troll with the Open Bar all summer. The most comfortable I have ever been on a bike. Good stuff for very little money just like babu said.

mtbr member
    There are also clips out there designed for front fenders that allow the fender stay to pop out in case something gets jammed in there. You can use these as a quick release on the rear as well.

Like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew69 View Post
    Just got my purple troll and whilst I was staring at the dropouts I couldn't help but wonder, how much of a pain in the ass is it to remove the rear wheel with a full coverage fender installed?
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    For stems.... If you gotta have the high zoot stems you could get the 31.8's and run the shims/adapters for 31.8 to 25.4. I had a 31.8 stem laying around and it was cheaper for me to buy the shim.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Thomson no longer list it on their website, but you used to be able to get 25.4 mm stems from them. I know, because I bought one in May, and it's still listed on Amazon. They have a variety of sizes.

RE: The dimension stems, the only original part on my old bike when I gave it away after breaking everything on the bike was the Dimension stem, so I can give them a thumbs up

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looking for frame sizing advice - I'm 5'9" with ~31 inch cycling inseam. I was originally going to purchase the 16" but it seems many riders in the 5'6" range are using that size...
    I also notice that happycyclist above is my same proportions and is looking to get the bars 1" closer so now I'm confused.

Competitive Cyclist fit calculator has me on anywhere between 22.9-23.8 effective top tube and it looks like the 18" Troll is 23.5..

I will be transferring the components from my current Fuji Tahoe and that will include a 100mm stem.

Any additional thoughts from somebody in my range?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm the same size and 18" fits better, you may need to drop to an 80mm stem but that's cheap.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    I'm the same size and 18" fits better, you may need to drop to an 80mm stem but that's cheap.
    Thanks for that! The more I have read in this thread it looks like the 18 will work well. I am more used to sizing road bikes with drop bars so I was a little confused for a while.

I also remembered I do have a spare 80mm stem so I'll give that a shot when the time comes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm 5'8" with a short torso so ride the 16". I'm probably the limit for that size, taller than me with a normal porportions I'd say 18" also.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ^^ thanks Saddle Up.

I also have an additional question regarding ride characteristics - one frustration I have had with the Tahoe is the feeling of having a high center of gravity while riding it. I have read other Fuji Tahoe riders reporting something similar.

Is there any hint of what I describe with the Troll?

I have an old '91 ParkPre mountain bike that rides much differently than the Tahoe so I guess I'm trying to replicate that ride with the addition of the modern frame and components of the Troll.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" and riding an 18" Troll (well, was thanks to a shoulder injury...) with a 100mm stem. The ride feels (to me) very "balanced" with the center of gravity just in the right spot for cruising and technical riding. It reacts very well to being put through its paces and riding aggressivily in the woods. I've also got a 3" wide tire up front and a 2.7" in the rear that helps it claw up anything at all.
    Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've never felt like the Troll has a high COG, the bottom bracket is quite low. As bbbr said and others can attest the Troll has a balanced neutral ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thank you for the responses

Pedaling Nowhere

My Troll on Tour

Here are some pics and a link to the build list:

Building an apocalypse-proof touring bike – Pedaling Nowhere

Also, wife's and buddy's Trolls in Mexico:

-------------------------------------------------
    pedalingnowhere.com

mtbr member
    I have to admit, I have seller's remorse for my Troll. That doesn't happen very often. If anyone has a 20" frame banging around...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

salsa anything cages on troll frame

has anybody tried fitting the salsa anything cages on the frame instead of the fork?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tweezerGlint View Post
    Here are some pics and a link to the build list:....
    That's a great looking bike. Nice job.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thank you everybody for the responses. I have ordered an 18" black Troll frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Calgary Skyline

Calgary Skyline

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It turns out the place I ordered the frame from does not actually have them in stock. After calling around and searching the net it seems these Troll frames are pretty scarce right now and won't be available until March.

Anybody know where I can get an 18" Troll frameset (preferably in black)?

Bomber
    Jan 2013
    The Surly site says that the Troll has "ample clearance for 28/38/50t mountain-triple chainrings" and then lists the clearance as 24/36/48t in the frame details.

It isn't clear to me if these measurements are taken from the 47mm chainline or the 50mm.

Can any Trollers coment on the chainring clearance for the following chainlines:

47mm

50mm

-Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Question about a front derailleur on a Troll frame:
    I've just received a 20" frame which I need to build up. I need to choose between a "high clamp" or "low clamp" derailleur.
    I see that Surly supply built bikes with a FD-M590 (low clamp). Looking at the photos of everyone's builds I can see that plenty of people are using high clamp derailleurs.
    Is there any performance difference? A high clamp seems to sit between the two bottle cage screws. Does it prevent a bottle cage from been installed?

Thank you to everyone for posting photos of their builds. It's proved an invaluable resource.

mtbr member
    If you use a derailer that clamps between the bottle braze ons, you can use two presta valver nuts on each bolt to space out the bottle cage. Works like a charm!

Quote Originally Posted by thesloth View Post
    A high clamp seems to sit between the two bottle cage screws. Does it prevent a bottle cage from been installed?

Page 34 of 57 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast