Page 33 of 59 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just got my new Troll. In eggplant. It is awesomely, well, purple! Going to build it up as a commuter/kid hauler/grocery getter/mountain bike. And building it with gears. Going to have 20 of 'em. For now. Building with a mix of old and new parts. Should be fun. Supposed to snow tomorrow, might be able to start building tomorrow. I did get the shop to press-in the head set. Step 1, done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-img_0717.jpg  

Surly Troll-img_0718.jpg  

Surly Troll-img_0719.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ^ Purple and gold looks awesome. There really needs to be more purple bikes.

Nevegals are great snow tires

Surly Troll 650b

T E A M L U N A

Thar she blows

Sunday on the old railway bed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-1-w-2.jpg  

En la tierra de los ciegos, un hombre tuerto es rey.

mtbr member
    "There really needs to be more purple bikes."
    Especially if you are a Washington Huskies Fan.
    Please support "Sharing the PCT"
    http://www.sharingthepct.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If you are going to put a 2.7 tire on the back it w ill fit no problem however,
    you have to move the wheel to the middle or end of the horizontal drop outs for it to fit.
    If you do that, then, you may have to add a link or two to your chain, and you will have slide
    your disc brakes back as well. At this point a surly tuggnot is considered a valuable addition and it
    is probably better to do the bolt conversion kit at this point as well.
    I would stay with a 2.5 tire on the back of your troll and no more than that.

You can add a 3.0 tire on the front however, you may also want to add surly pugsley forks.
    I would stay with the 2.5 tire on the front as well.

2.5 on the back and front.
    Keep it simple and uncomplicated.

Now, its a toss up between 45 Nrth Acerwelder 2.1 winter tires with 168 aluminum studs with
    a carbide tip or Shwalabe Marathon winter tire 2.35.
    I will probably go with the 2.35 just because the stock tires are 2.3.

Once again, keep it simple and uncomplicated.
    I learning as I go along.
    It's taking a lot of time and money.

i hope this is helpful

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    [QUOTE=T-roll;9825484]Sunday on the old railway bed.

This is a picture perfect post card.
    You need a Troll to get around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Celt View Post
    I've even read about LHT to Troll converts, stating that the Troll simply does both tasks, road touring and off road touring, very well - while having all the various mounts needed.
    This year i was driving my Troll for more than 8 months non-stop (Karakoram Highway, Patagonia, Scandinavia) and I would say the following: if you plan to stick to paved roads only, by choosing another bike you might win a lot. Some years ago I had CX Bianchi Axis for lightweight asphalt touring,and -- not surprisingly -- it behaved way better than Troll.

Nowadays I do dislike pavements when going on any kind of gravel|mountain road, I really enjoy driving Troll. Troll is fine with occasional asphalt (say, not more than 50%).

mtbr member
    @ache do have any pics from that tour? Sounds amazing!
    NSMBA Member

T E A M L U N A

Troll Bridge

Bike Packin' weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-bpack-copy.jpg  

En la tierra de los ciegos, un hombre tuerto es rey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    When my first Surly LHT was lost in 2010, I replaced it with a Troll. I used the Troll to ride the Alaska and the Pacific Coast in the Summer of 2010. Here's a few pictures of the Troll in action.

I am not sold on the Troll as a touring bike and during the tour ordered another LHT frame (Deluxe!) to build as a touring bike. IMHO the troll is a better commuter, exploration, and short term adventure bike. It carries bags okay; but nothing like the LHT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-imgp1984.jpg  

Surly Troll-imgp1986.jpg  

Surly Troll-imgp2046.jpg  

Surly Troll-imgp2081.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mwv View Post
    After 3 stems and about 5 sets or bars I think I am done tinkering......maybe.
    How do you like your power grips?

mtbr member

whew...that was close

Got notice last Wednesday that 18" black was finally in stock. Procrastinated a day or two and you guys were sucking them up.

Thanks for leaving me one!
    Linux is for those who hate Microsoft, BSD is for those who love UNIX.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Troll vs. random All Mountain Hardtail

Thanks for showing your nice builds!
    And sorry if this should be posted in a separate thread but I guess it could be of interest to anyone considering a Troll.
    Iv been thinking about getting a frame since I could use some old stuff to cut the cost. V-brakes for example and a nice single speed wheelset which dont have disc brakes.
    If I should consider a completely new bike I would probably look at an All Mountain Hardtail like On-One 456, Ragley Piglet, or similar.
    So my question; what will I loose by choosing a Troll instead?
    Fork travel, maybe some weight?
    Anything else?
    What are you troll owners using you bike for?
    Im not really interested in the post-apocalyptic sturdiness or the touring options Ive read about.
    I just want something fun for the tuesday evening trail ride and the weekend all day (maybe two days) mountain tour.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vargen View Post
    Im not really interested in the post-apocalyptic sturdiness or the touring options Ive read about.
    I just want something fun for the tuesday evening trail ride and the weekend all day (maybe two days) mountain tour.

It's my only bike right now, so it's my commuter, and when I put knobbies on it it becomes my mountain bike (that's the only change I need to make). I also have gone on a couple overnight bikepacking/touring trips with it, and plan to ride across the country hopefully this next summer, on a mixed on and off-road tour.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vargen View Post
    Thanks for showing your nice builds!
    If I should consider a completely new bike I would probably look at an All Mountain Hardtail like On-One 456, Ragley Piglet, or similar.
    So my question; what will I loose by choosing a Troll instead?
    Fork travel, maybe some weight?
    Anything else?
    Basically the major difference is the Troll will give you versatility unmatched by pretty much any other frame in the world. Run it as a singlespeed with v-brakes for now and upgrade to discs and run gears later. Use it for basically anything.

However the Troll will fall short on aggressive riding because it's got 'classic' MTB geometry. An AM hardtail would be considerably slacker which is huge when you're, well, shredding the gnar. I would crash almost constantly trying to ride a Troll on most of the trails I ride where a 68 degree headtube angle is considered really steep.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason300b View Post
    Just got my new Troll...
    Let's see some progress

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    Basically the major difference is the Troll will give you versatility unmatched by pretty much any other frame in the world. Run it as a singlespeed with v-brakes for now and upgrade to discs and run gears later. Use it for basically anything.

However the Troll will fall short on aggressive riding because it's got 'classic' MTB geometry. An AM hardtail would be considerably slacker which is huge when you're, well, shredding the gnar. I would crash almost constantly trying to ride a Troll on most of the trails I ride where a 68 degree headtube angle is considered really steep.
    Thanks!

Exactly the kind of answer I needed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Good job! Troll - built

Thanks for all the pictures from the other users, Just built.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-img_5282.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Can't say a bad thing about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-restwhenyoudietroll.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Winter City Riding

Winter City Riding

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Posted my flat bar build up above, switched to drops for shits and actually love it. A super sluggish bike, no doubt, but extremely comfortable. Took it for a 25 mile spin up some serious climbs yesterday, and while I was a bit behind my buddies, I was in no way fatigued at the end. I am building this bike to ride down to South America in the Summer and I think that it is going to do the job wonderfully.

In terms of fit- I am 5 foot 11 and a half-ish, with a 32 inch inseam and a long torso. I really like an upright, stable feel to my bikes. This is an 18" frameset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-img-20121202-00622.jpg  

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    I'm diggin my new Troll
    I dislike the new purple color, but with those white rims, that actually looks attractive to me
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr lurker
    Just got my purple troll and whilst I was staring at the dropouts I couldn't help but wonder, how much of a pain in the ass is it to remove the rear wheel with a full coverage fender installed?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was running fenders on mine for a while, but right now I'm too lazy to put them on and off every time I want to switch from MTB mode to commuting mode, so I just suck up the rain-splash when the weather's bad on the way to work.

To answer your questions, it's definitely more annoying than without the fender, but it's doable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew69 View Post
    Just got my purple troll and whilst I was staring at the dropouts I couldn't help but wonder, how much of a pain in the ass is it to remove the rear wheel with a full coverage fender installed?
    Worst case you just unscrew the two M5 screws supporting the back section. But it's a flexible section so it's not bad, unlike dropouts like on the CC where you need to have clearance at the BB area or the wheel physically won't come off.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

Page 33 of 59 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast