Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 1676

Thread: Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayer747 View Post
    The orange rims and hubs look great with the black bike!

Nice scenery too, looks alot like Scotland
    Thanks, and "aye" the picture was taken quite close to Glasgow, near the Clyde coastal path (which is an amazing route should you have the opportunity to go there..)

The wheels are spank spoon 32. I believe they're meant for dirt jump etc. They are a bit on the heavy side (2350g for the set) but very very strong!

read more here: Spoon-32 Wheelset

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by whombom View Post
    Thanks, and "aye" the picture was taken quite close to Glasgow, near the Clyde coastal path (which is an amazing route should you have the opportunity to go there..)

The wheels are spank spoon 32. I believe they're meant for dirt jump etc. They are a bit on the heavy side (2350g for the set) but very very strong!

read more here: Spoon-32 Wheelset
    Yep nice looking bike and beautiful countryside. Hope to get up that way again soon.
    I love those big Scottish breakfasts at the hidden away B&B's.

Not far from Glasgow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Anyone rocking the Steve's Pants frame yet? I have been considering building up a rim brake 26er for cruising to bars and picking up groceries, and this seems like a great platform.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
    Anyone rocking the Steve's Pants frame yet? I have been considering building up a rim brake 26er for cruising to bars and picking up groceries, and this seems like a great platform.
    Here's mine.

Ryan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-troll.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
    Anyone rocking the Steve's Pants frame yet? I have been considering building up a rim brake 26er for cruising to bars and picking up woman, and this seems like a great platform.
    Looks like you already know the Troll is a chick magnet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    So I have most of the components ready, including a Rohloff, and my Troll frameset will arrive in New Zealand shortly. I had one last qualm about the headset. I was intending to reuse my WTB Momentum, which came off the old frame just fine but it's a really old unit. I thought I'd go Cane Creek 40 because that seems to be how the Trolls are sold. But I can't seem to find the details anywhere. Are these correct... 30mm fork crown; 28.6mm steerer tube; 24mm internal diamter of head tube. If correct, then...

S.H.I.S EC34/28.6 top and EC34/30 bottom

There's no point mentioning the superiority of Christ King or Hope etc - bloody hard to get such stuff here in New Zealand. Cane Creek or FSA are hard enough to locate, but doable.

Thanks. Toaroa

mtbr member
    "Cane Creek 40 EC34/28.6 / EC34/30 Headset Black" is the description of the headset I ordered. Probably doesn't have to be black. ;-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rcnute View Post
    Here's mine.

Ryan
    That is sweet!

mtbr member
    In the spirit of family, I'm re-purposing the Troll/1x1 build I'd planned for myself and I'm giving it my wife for a Troll build for her. I'm super excited to get her set up with a nice commuter/touring rig so she can join me on excursions! The bike is currently set up as a SS commuter for me, but while I swap out the frame, I'd also like to make the Troll a 1 x ? so she has some gearing options when we're in a more hilly area. It's currently set up with a 36 front, so if I keep the 36T, would an 8 speed with a range of 11-30 or 11-32 be ok? Anything else I should consider?
    2015 Surly Ice Cream Truck
    2016 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    11-32 sounds ok.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    About a year ago, after a lot of hunting, I found a Troll to build up for myself. Got it all set and then put my wife on it because it looked like it might fit. She rode it around the block, came back and said, "Thanks!" Turned out it fit her much better than her existing bike (nice bike, a Croll frame with XT components). So this past fall I found another Troll frame that I build up for myself. So we now ride "twins".

Good luck figuring out the specifics that will get your wife out with you more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'll be Trolling soon.

My Cycle Monkey build.

Name:  troll-1.png
Views: 1662
Size:  42.2 KBName:  troll-2.png
Views: 1583
Size:  34.7 KB

Kinda small pics, but just enough to get the juices flowing.
    I'll be putting on some racks and packs pretty soon.

I wonder how they get the bike to stand up by itself like that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Been enjoying reading this thread. I bought my 16" 2013 complete build purple troll late last fall as new old-stock. I'm 5'9", and the 16" felt nice and agile. My last bike was a rocky mountain 29er, so the smaller wheels probably helped with that too.

Most of it is stock still, I just added the straightline pedals and seat post clamp, and pulled off the front derailleur and chain rings, and put a 30t raceface narrow/wide in their place. I also have a surly 8 pack rack in the mail, so I'll be adding that as well soon. Gearing is pretty low, but I'll be pulling my little daughter behind in a trailer a lot this summer, and our area is pretty hilly, so it should work ok. I only hit the top gear on a downward grade, so in my books that means the range should work!

Overall, I love this bike! Would like to do some overnight tours with it this year, in additional to commuting and the child-hauling. Maybe one day I'll get to take it on a longer adventure

Surly Troll-img_1281.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Hope Happy to join

I'm a happy owner of Surly Troll from Saint-P

1,5 year ago bought new frameset, now have complete bike with 26" and 29" wheelsets.

Surly Troll-imag5122-2.jpg

With pleasure can answer on all questions about 29" , ISCG 05/ Hammersmidt FR, 2x1 drivetrain, wide rims )
    Last edited by Ricky_Spanish; 03-09-2016 at 09:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky_Spanish View Post

With pleasure can answer on all questions about 29" , ISCG 05/ Hammersmidt FR, 2x1 drivetrain, wide rims )
    I'm very curious about the HammerSchmidt. How do you like it? When I was deciding how to set up my Troll, I went with an 8 speed hub, and was considering expanding the range with some sort of internally geared, front system. I thought my only option was the Schlumpf, because one of the other options only worked on 68mm bottom brackets and the other only worked on frames made with it in mind. I guess I was wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

What Rack?

Hi Turtle,
    What type of rack do you have on your Troll?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    I really dig my Troll as well. Yes, I like a more upright, comfy ride position The bars have been tilted down in the tail since the pictures to fit my natural hand position better. The Monkey Nutz in the back help the ride be a little smoother with extra length and improve the shifting a bit with the axle to derailleur position.

Attachment 828212

Attachment 828213

Attachment 828214

The Nitto Bosco bars double wrapped Will probably change the brake levers out for some that have a smooth clamp and no top bolt to take out the lumps
    Attachment 828215

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
    I'm very curious about the HammerSchmidt. How do you like it? When I was deciding how to set up my Troll, I went with an 8 speed hub, and was considering expanding the range with some sort of internally geared, front system. I thought my only option was the Schlumpf, because one of the other options only worked on 68mm bottom brackets and the other only worked on frames made with it in mind. I guess I was wrong.
    To get a Hammerscmidt(HS) on Troll - there is only one problem, frame don't have ISCG mounts. If for front derailleur or chain guide you can use adaptor, hammerschmid will give much more rotating tension and ISCG mounts must be fixed on frame. So I made CrMo plate and weld it on frame.
    Surly Troll-imag5097.jpg
    Thats why I love steel frames)))

Very helpful thread Hammerschmidt with ISCG Adapter on Nomad 1 - Part Deux

Anyway your question was about HS usage. It BEST!!! I use single-speed hubs with 1 sprocket and HS gives me gear ratio bigger than I can have on any front deraileur. So with 29" wheels I got 22t front sprocket and 9t at rear(in "overdrive" mode it's like 36t in front ). I had gear ratio 2,44 and 3,9 so use HS "overdrive" only for hi speeds(over 40km/h). with 26" wheels I got same 22t (also have 24t) front sprocket and 13t at rear. I had gear ratio 1,7 and 2,7 so use HS "overdrive" as default and change on direct "lower" gear only in fat-bike mode on dirt or snow.
    I bought second-hand HS and ride on it last year (in stock it have 24t sprocket, and i changed on new 22t). Now (after 1,5 year of riding) I still have no problems with it (twice in year disassemble, clean and change lube). The shifting is clean and y can do it when pedaling forward or not pedaling and even when pedaling backwards ))) Now I thinking that if i bought it new, the price will be only one disappointment of HS) Some people says that it very heavy, but IMHO extra 200-300g on rigid steel bike - is not a disaster (also that overweight is very close to center of mass and it is not so noticeably). For me main feature was
    durability for extreme riding, compared with any 2 or 3-speed internal gear hub, HS leaves no doubt.
    Surly Troll-imag5118-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Interesting. So there is some required frame modification. So if I don't want to do that, the Speed Drive is my only option for a geared bottom bracket. Right now I find that I'm quite happy with my 8 speeds, so I don't see going that route any time soon. But I was thinking, because I have a World Troller, that an automatic, 2 speed, coaster brake hub combined with a speed drive (which shifts at the crank arm, with the heel) would give me four gears an no cables connecting the front and the back of the bike, which would make splitting the bike much easier.

mtbr member
    My wife's Troll build was ready today, and she loves it! I think it turned out pretty great. Apologies for the poor pic.

Surly Troll-img_0900.jpg
    2015 Surly Ice Cream Truck
    2016 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Been lurking for a while, gathering up all the good info here.

I bought a 16" Troll frame with a plan to move over components from my 2008 Specialized Hardrock that I had been upgrading. Made a last minute decision to get a new drivetrain, this let me move over just the upgraded parts from my Hardrock.

I still have a Rockshox Recon fork I might move over, but I'm trying the rigid fork on the Troll first.

Took a ride just now, already much happier with the new frame.

Thanks to the good folks at Bicycle Biz in Sacramento, who ordered and prep'ed the frame for me, and installed my headset. And also patiently worked with me on my BB needs while I was still thinking of reusing my old drivetrain

Specs:

- Frame: 16" Troll
    - RD: Shimano M615
    - FD: Shimano M616
    - Cranks: Shimano M615
    - Cassette: Shimano 11-36
    - Rings: 24-38
    - Brakes: BB7 (from old bike)
    - Headset: Cane Creek 40
    - Wheels: DT Swiss Rims/XT Hubs (from old bike)
    - Bars: Easton EA30 (from old bike)
    - Shifters: Shimano M610
    - Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial 7
    - Grips: Ergon GP3 (from old bike)
    - Post and stem: whatever was in my parts bin

Surly Troll-p1000348.jpgSurly Troll-p1000356.jpg

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mblevins View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000356.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	381.2 KB 
ID:	1056378
    This blue is starting to grow on me after seeing it with the black parts spec'd.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    This blue is starting to grow on me after seeing it with the black parts spec'd.
    I have always thought the Steve's Pants blue Trolls look great, but then I also think my black Troll looks great ... maybe I need two Trolls?!?!?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Hey everybody, I am hoping to pick up a new troll frame when they became available in Australia next month. I'm currently in the process of selecting parts for my custom build but am having trouble with the wheelset. This is my first foray into the MTB world and am a bit confused as to whether or not a wheelset with a front 15mm axle and a rear 142X12mm will fit?

Other than that I am really excited, still making up my mind between the ogre and the troll, but the troll seems to be just that little bit more versatile.

I already have purchased:
    Thompson elite seatpost
    Shimano 1X11 mx8000 groupset
    Avid BB7
    Odi grips
    Fi'zik gobi saddle
    Fly Ruben flat pedals
    Continental race king 27.5X2.2

I intend the bike to start out as a commuter/xc/bikepacking build and eventually switching to 26'wheels and jones loop/drop bar for some extended touring.

If anyone could fill me in on the axle situation and how easy it is to convert wheelseets etc, that would be great

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by finnirl View Post
    Hey everybody, I am hoping to pick up a new troll frame when they became available in Australia next month. I'm currently in the process of selecting parts for my custom build but am having trouble with the wheelset. This is my first foray into the MTB world and am a bit confused as to whether or not a wheelset with a front 15mm axle and a rear 142X12mm will fit?
    Cheers
    At least for the frame I just bought:

- 9mm QR for fork
    - 135x10mm QR for rear

I'm running 26", but from what I hear 27.5 work just fine with a reasonable width.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Cheers, that put an end to my dream of picking up a second hand wheelset, doesnt seem to be many kicking around with standard quick release and a hub that can accept an 11sp cassette. Fortunately I found a pair of shimano MT35s for new for pretty cheap.

Now im just waiting on the frame and trying to make up my mind on the black or blue, ill be sure to post the build here when complete.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Picked up the Brooks C15 yesterday, so the build is finished.

Never built up 2011 frameset bought last fall (used FSA Orbit XLII Headset and Surly seat tube collar)
    Jones H Bar, 710MM
    Deore 9 speed shifters, crankset and Rear Derailleur
    XT Front Derailleur
    Phil Wood Bottom Bracket
    BB7 Brakes (used)
    Avid Speed Dial Levers
    Ritchey Seat Post
    HED Belgium+ Wheels
    Schwalbe Marathon 1.5" Tires (used, $20 in near new condition)
    Brooks Cambium C15 Saddle (used, but still $100 in near new condition)

Surly Troll-imag0102-3.jpg

Surly Troll-imag0104-2.jpg

Surly Troll-imag0105-2.jpg

Surly Troll-imag0107-3.jpg

This is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. It will allow me to unload my commuter and my tourer. Still mulling whether to unload the mountain bike. It sure would be nice to be down to three bikes (Fat, Race, Troll).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice looking bike. How do you like the ergo grips with the H bar?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stormshadows View Post
    Nice looking bike. How do you like the ergo grips with the H bar?
    Thanks! I'm a real fan of the ergon grips. I have them on my fat bike as well (and I also have an ergon saddle, SMR3 Comp, on the fat bike). I know people say ergon grips on Jones Bars are like putting mustard on ice cream, but they work perfectly for me.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm not very familiar with tire width vs rim width... what's the widest tire I could reasonably put on the trolls factory alex adventurer rims?

mtbr member
    Sometimes you can find manufacturer specs. Here's Schwalbe's site:

Tire Dimensions | Schwalbe North America

Scroll down to "Which tire fits which rim?"

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Does anybody know how much a stock Troll would cost?
    I'm playing with the idea to get the stock Troll and then swapping out parts as they die in order to create the bike I have in mind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sternutative View Post
    I'm playing with the idea to get the stock Troll and then swapping out parts as they die in order to create the bike I have in mind.
    These guys say $1649 for a complete build.

The frame I think is list at $575, which is what I paid a few weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Don't know where you're located or what size you need, but 1/2 price.

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bik/5507285030.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Unfortunately I don't live anywhere close... but that looks like a 18'' frame with racks and a brooks saddle - exactly what I am looking for... What a steal...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by revcp View Post

Never built up 2011 frameset bought last fall (used FSA Orbit XLII Headset and Surly seat tube collar)
    Jones H Bar, 710MM
    XT Front Derailleur
    Phil Wood Bottom Bracket
    BB7 Brakes (used)
    Avid Speed Dial Levers
    Ritchey Seat Post
    HED Belgium+ Wheels

This is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. It will allow me to unload my commuter and my tourer. Still mulling whether to unload the mountain bike. It sure would be nice to be down to three bikes (Fat, Race, Troll).
    Beautiful bike! What kind of fenders are those by the way? So annoying to find fenders that fit but also aren't "too" big and floppy..

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    They're SKS Beavertails. Simple, inexpensive, solid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Unfortunately I don't live anywhere close... but that looks like a 18'' frame with racks and a brooks saddle - exactly what I am looking for... What a steal...
    That's a shame. Maybe the seller would ship. I've gotten a few bikes by having a seller drop a bike off at a lbs. Shipping a full bike would usually run about $100.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by revcp View Post

Jones H Bar, 710MM
    XT Front Derailleur
    Phil Wood Bottom Bracket
    BB7 Brakes (used)
    Avid Speed Dial Levers
    Ritchey Seat Post
    HED Belgium+ Wheels

Name:	IMAG0102 3.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	294.1 KB 
ID:	1058618

Name:	IMAG0104 2.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	294.6 KB 
ID:	1058619

Name:	IMAG0105 2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	1058620

Name:	IMAG0107 3.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	1058621

Hi mate thats a great set up. i agree with the comfort of the bike as mine is set up almost the same as yours.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New light setup for the Troll...

Hi everyone my old front hub finally started to give up the ghost, so a replacement was due.

I always had in mind to go with a dynamo hub and after some research I came across the Shutter Precision hubs. All the reviews seemed positive and as a bonus one of my l.b.s carried the range. They quickly built up wheel, with luck my spokes could be reused. Made for a cheapish build.

Lights from B&M come next week, and riding with hub without any load shows no sign of drag. Here are a few images.

Surly Troll-dsc02529.jpg

Surly Troll-dsc02530.jpg

Will add some thoughts when the lights arrive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mblevins View Post
    I'm running 26", but from what I hear 27.5 work just fine with a reasonable width.
    27.5-2.25" fits easily.

Future Troll Owner
    Apr 2016
    Hi all! Just joined - First post. I hope I'm in the right spot. Redirect me if needed. I've been bitten by the Troll bug. Thinking of a frameset as I have a dual suspension mtn bike that I could re-use the parts from. I'll be heading over to the local dealer on Thursday to do a test ride. I'd set the bike up depending on the trip: bikepacking in the mountains here in Idaho or to tour in central and south america.

My first question is about the fork: the rigid fork that Surly offers is 100 mm suspension corrected. If I put my existing Rock Shox Duke C w/ 80mm travel on the Troll, what could I expect - poor steering, nothing, just less than optimum performance, other??

#2": Has anyone used trekking bars? Thoughts?? I just put a set on my wife's bike and I really like them.

Thanks!

Tires

"Sizzurps"

I just found out I need a Fender-Flute, and all my non-stainless (or chromed) hardware is rusting. Need to show old Sizzurps some love. I changed out the skewers for DT-Swiss RWS, and they're really neat.

Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlé

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Day trip on the troll

I ended up putting my old rockshox fork on, and a cheap topeak rack on the rear. I put on a Revelate feed bag to carry my camera, and a jerry can for small stuff. A dry bag carries jackets, tools and lunch.

Here are some pictures in Henry Coe park in California. For folks that know the park, that's in at headquarters, up Flat Frog Trail and then up Hobbs Road to Middle Ridge. Great wildflower year at the park.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Hi Watercamper, welcome to the club I would say!

I did the same; used my full sus parts for the troll, which I ride with the rigid fork as I am done with suspension. For me it doesn't justify the weight, expense and maintenance (anymore). Since finishing the build I only regret not getting a troll sooner. I'm absolutely in love with the thing.

I use it for the odd commute, pleasure ride, and recently loaded her up and went bike-packing for the first time. A weekend in the Scottish hills.

image: https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a3&oe=57A59878

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...24&oe=579BE81E

even with the luggage the troll handles like a dream, although the schwalbe crazy bob's contribute to that as well I reckon. One thing I should note is that I found it to get a bit light in the front with luggage on the rear rack, but the two water bottles on the fork kept the front wheel down nicely. I will not change anything soon, except add a bottle cage to the seat tube. With more water I can hopefully stay out a bit longer.

After returning, I met a guy travelling the world on his troll.. Carrying in excess of a 100lb of luggage through Russia in winter, I am pretty sure my troll is not having too hard a life

For more info on this guy and his amazing adventure: Earth Odyssey Expedition ? Around the world by bike

mtbr lurker

Memorial day bikepacking

Took the troll on a trip this weekend

Surly Troll-rsz_imag0960.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    All ready for the first ever AR700 later this month. alberta-rockies-700

Surly Troll
    by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

Did I catch a niner+?
    Is that an enabler on the troll? I have one on my Ogre and love it.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Not an Enabler. Fargo V2 fork. I do have an Enabler also, powder coated red to match my Instigator V1.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Rebuild

I decided to reconfigure my Troll from my previous post.

In came Hope Tech 3 X2 brakes, Pro Lite Antero 650B wheels, Panaracer Gravel King 1.5'' tyres and a Race Face Narrow Wide 38t chainring.

It is now like a cruise missile.

Surly Troll-surly01.jpg

Surly Troll-surly02.jpg

Surly Troll-surly03.jpg

Surly Troll-surly04.jpg

Surly Troll-surly05.jpg

Surly Troll-surly06.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

New Troll!

Surly Troll-troll2.jpgSurly Troll-troll3.jpg

Got the frame back in May and finally got it together! My first Surly, what a sweet ride! Will be adding racks/baskets soon.
    - Velocity Duallys with Surly Extraterrestrial 26x2.5 tires
    - RaceFace Ride crank for 1x10 with XT cassette
    - Micro thumbie, set to friction, and XTR 9spd der
    - Origin8 batwing handlebar, Chris King headset
    - Avid BB7 mechanical disc