Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,600 of 1705

Thread: Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gecho View Post
    ... The rack and fenders were fussy to fit. I might order a disc brake kit for my rack to see if it helps. The fender interferes with the v-brake in the back due to the shallow seat stay angle.
    What are the rack problems? I moved my rack over to my Troll the other day without issue, and I have disc brakes front and rear (and the rack is not a disc brake version). I'm curious about the problems you could have that would be solved with a disc brake kit when you don't have disc brakes.

It does look like you may have attached yours at a different location than mine. I have 3 possible mounting points at the dropouts, one high (looks like that's where you attached yours?) and two low. One for fenders, but the other I used for my rack. With a 700 wheel on there, it's tight enough that fenders would be a trick, but I plan on putting 26" wheels on soon enough which should provide plenty of clearance for fenders.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The part of the rack just above the mounting tab contacts the part of the dropout near the the seat stays, so the mounting tab isn't flush with the frame. Tightening the bolts makes it bend into place, but I want to put in spacers so the rack is only touching the part of the frame it is supposed to.

There are two high mounting positions and a lower one. I originally has the rack in the upper rear mount but there was interference with the fender stays. It wasn't possible to use the lower mount because the side of the rack was hitting the frame causing the rack to bow out at the sides much more than it does in the top positions. The fender stays needed to be screwed in from the inside to stay clear of the rack, not at all easy to do with a wheel in place.

LBS had a disc kit but there appears to be no conceivable way that it would work with my rack. Unless that kit was for an older model rack and the manufacturer just hasn't update the image on their website. When I get around to putting spacers on I'll tinker a bit more, I might even be able to use the lower mount.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gecho View Post
    The part of the rack just above the mounting tab contacts the part of the dropout near the the seat stays, so the mounting tab isn't flush with the frame. Tightening the bolts makes it bend into place, but I want to put in spacers so the rack is only touching the part of the frame it is supposed to.

There are two high mounting positions and a lower one. I originally has the rack in the upper rear mount but there was interference with the fender stays. It wasn't possible to use the lower mount because the side of the rack was hitting the frame causing the rack to bow out at the sides much more than it does in the top positions. The fender stays needed to be screwed in from the inside to stay clear of the rack, not at all easy to do with a wheel in place.

LBS had a disc kit but there appears to be no conceivable way that it would work with my rack. Unless that kit was for an older model rack and the manufacturer just hasn't update the image on their website. When I get around to putting spacers on I'll tinker a bit more, I might even be able to use the lower mount.
    I look forward to seeing your solution. When I looked at mine, I could see how the fender mount was going to be tricky given the rack location. And mounting the rack at the lower point completely covers the upper mounting point. I haven't tried to put fenders on yet because I haven't built my 26" wheels yet, but I can see that i might have to keep those fender stays as short as possible.

mtbr member
    Troll at Fort Casey State Park.

Ryan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-21539008691_9f9380a981_z.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    now in child carrying mode any tyre suggestions for a comfortable ride, mostly on pavement and flat grass, these smart sams are a bit harsh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-fullsizerender.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Surly Troll

Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    now in child carrying mode any tyre suggestions for a comfortable ride, mostly on pavement and flat grass, these smart sams are a bit harsh?
    I have the Smart Sams' and find them quite comfy, maybe you could try a lower PSI? The Big Appes which I also have, are an absolute dream at low PSI and grip on everything but grass and mud. If money isn't an issue, you could try the new Rat Trap Pass from Compass Cycles.

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/26...rat-trap-pass/

Schwalbe Big Apple is your answer. The fat balloon tire is simply awesome. As much as I love Compass tires (currently have a 700x26 on my roadie), I wouldn't feel as safe with my kid on the back. Flat/debris protection is about non-existent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ya cant go wrong with the Big Apples for a smooth ride.

mtbr member
    May 2015

mtbr member
    May 2015

mtbr member
    How's the Steve's Pants color in natural light? Is it more green or blue? Seems a little different in every internet pic I've seen.

I know it's silly but I'm trying to decide between that color and black. Thing is, I already have an ancient black 1x1. Then again, my wife's bike is a celeste Bianchi and I'm not sure I want our bikes to "match" if I go with the more colorful 2015 option.

Sadly I'm just not seeing many purple or orange Trolls come up on the used market...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    For $120 or so you could powdercoat orange or purple.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    It's not quite ready for bikepacking, but Troll took it's first camping trip this weekend, and it went just fine. Took too much stuff, but that's the kind of camping trip it was. I like to think an actual touring load would be lighter than this.

Surly Troll-img_20151008_155306.jpgSurly Troll-img_20151012_164300.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    I love my Fat Franks and ride the same surfaces you do.

Name:  tires.jpg
Views: 1538
Size:  27.5 KB

Surly Troll-img_0689-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Have you guys experienced issues with removing the back tire after a flat if you are also riding fenders?

mtbr member
    That's not a Troll issue so much as it is a fender issue. The only thing about this bike is that the dropouts require you to move the wheel backwards to clear the dropouts. If you set up the fender with very little clearance, and/or if the fender wraps around the tire well, you might have to either loosen the fender stays or deflate the tire. Of course if you're changing a flat, the tire may already be deflated. I'm using SKS Velo 65s. They have a lot of clearance the way they're currently set up, and they don't come down very far along the back of the tire. They're also a flexible plastic. My 700c wheel slides right out. If I were using the better-coverage, aluminum fenders I had on my touring bike, I might have more of an issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Good point, thanks. I'm still trying to figure out whether to buy a Troll. Been rocking one bike only, the LHT, winter-summer-fall, rain-shine, touring-commuting. Was thinking of introducing a Troll to the mix to change up riding position, to commute more "fun-ly" over all the shitty city roads, and so on. Thinking about whether the Troll is fast enough, different enough and fun enough to justify a second bike :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bedstriker View Post
    Good point, thanks. I'm still trying to figure out whether to buy a Troll. Been rocking one bike only, the LHT, winter-summer-fall, rain-shine, touring-commuting. Was thinking of introducing a Troll to the mix to change up riding position, to commute more "fun-ly" over all the shitty city roads, and so on. Thinking about whether the Troll is fast enough, different enough and fun enough to justify a second bike :-)
    From reading above, seems you're missing a spring bike. The Troll is quick, not fast, certainly different and absolutely fun. I've never ridden an LHT, but word on the street is the Troll is much livelier with no weight and equally competent loaded.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by revcp View Post
    From reading above, seems you're missing a spring bike.
    LOL. I even ride the LHT in the spring! Glad to hear the Troll is different enough. The disc brakes alone make it appealing for winter; I love the sound and feel of Jones H-Bar but as a person who rides 95% in the hoods of the drops, I wonder if I would be satisfied by it (especially, say, when climbing or getting off to a start where I pull on the hoods and stand forward on the bike). Insights?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    LOL. I even ride the LHT in the spring! Glad to hear the Troll is different enough. The disc brakes alone make it appealing for winter; I love the sound and feel of Jones H-Bar but as a person who rides 95% in the hoods of the drops, I wonder if I would be satisfied by it (especially, say, when climbing or getting off to a start where I pull on the hoods and stand forward on the bike). Insights?
    Well, one of the great things about the Troll is that it's a Swiss Army Knife. Incredibly versatile. You can build it up to do almost anything, so shallow drops would be an option. Also, being more light and nimble than the LHT it would likely respond better to being jumped uphill, so it may not require the same push you're accustomed to.

Are you planning to do any singletrack riding on a regular basis? If not, stick with the LHT. The frame can already take fat enough tires for the cruddy streets. Net benefit from moving to a Troll wouldn't play in your favor, in my opinion. Put the money towards a nice second set of wheels instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    @stremf,
    I'd be getting
    1. Disc brakes
    2. Jones bar
    3. Offroad capabilities (though its true, I do that infrequently)
    4. Different sitting, hauling capabilities
    5. Most importantly a second bike to rotate through!

Is that too much? I'm very much an agonizer over correct decisions...

mtbr member
    Rode my LHT for about six years. A little more than two months ago, I stripped the LHT for the parts I needed to build up my Troll frame. I think my longest day of riding has been about 45 miles, loaded with camping gear. My plan is to eventually replace the parts I stole from the LHT (mainly the wheels at this point) and get the LHT running again, but I'm not in a big hurry. Loved the LHT, but so far I haven't taken a ride on the Troll where I've wished I had the LHT instead. Eventually that New Bike love will wear off, and I'll be able to appreciate the LHT again, but I'm certainly not regretting the switch. I will agree with stremf in that there's not much difference in where I ride the Troll vs. the LHT, but I do find myself rolling over/through some stuff the LHT would have been walked over or gone around. Lower bottom bracket plus longer wheel base meant there were some shortcuts I didn't take advantage of, but do now.
    I wouldn't get the Troll if you're looking for speed. I don't notice a speed improvement, but it does seem a little lighter to me and a fair amount more nimble. I never used drops on the LHT though, so I can't speak to that change.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hi all, trying to respond to thank you all but mods aren't letting me. Thanks for your input so far.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Rebuilt my troll a bit this last week, previous build in post #1532, shes a completely different beast now. Heres a few pics:

Had it as a hardtail all summer, and it proved to be a great trail bike, but i needed a commuter/all arounder/tourer/pedicab bike so i changed up quit a bit. Used some spare parts and got some new stuff. 2x9 speed with an extremely wide gear ratio, 32/48t chainrings and 11-42 custom cassette. It is a Shimano HG80 11-34 cassette with the 15 and 17 tooth cogs removed (had to drill the rivet from the 17-20-24 cluster). In their place is a random 16t shimano cog from another cassette and a 40t extended range cog from E*thirteen. Originally i used a 16t Wolf Tooth Cog, but i couldnt get it to shift as crisply as i wanted. Rear cogs now go 11-13-16-20-23-26-30-34-40. I have a high rise stem on the way to eliminate some of the extremely large stack on it now. The bike feels awesome with the drops, you can really lean into and rail corners on it, and i have some new 26x2.35 Schwalbe big apples that i suspect will make this even more so, but I'm having too much fun with those big fat knobbies, and they just look so mean. The drops themselves are the new cowchipper bars from Salsa and they are fantastic! The perfect blend of dirt drop and conventional, with the addition of cross levers, i have so many comfotable hand positions for all circumstances.

Full build specs:

Frame: Large 2014 Surly Troll in Eggplant
    Fork: Stock
    Headset: FSA MX Orbit Pro
    Stem: Thompson w/too much stack currently, but have a Humbert High Rise on order
    Handlbar: Salsa Cowchipper
    Bar Tape: Lizard Skin DSP 2.5 cobalt blue
    Bottom Bracket: Phil wood Outboard with GXP Adaptor
    Crankset: Truvative Stylo 1.1 (ss specific, but use a 48t instead of the bash guard and works flawlessly using a friction shifter)
    Pedals: DMR V8
    Chainrings: 32t e*thirteen and 48t Shimano SLX
    Chain: Shimano XT
    Cassette: Shimano HG80/E*Thirteen
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
    Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace 9 Speed (friction front)
    Brakes: Hayes CX Pro
    Levers: Cane Creek SCR5 and Cane Creek CrossTop
    Saddle: Chromag Trailmast LTD Leather
    Hubs: Shimano XT M756
    Rims: SunRingle RhynoLite
    Tires: Continental 26x2.2 rear 26x2.4 front
    Horn: Ace Hardware Special

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    dam those are insane!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
    It's not quite ready for bikepacking, but Troll took it's first camping trip this weekend, and it went just fine. Took too much stuff, but that's the kind of camping trip it was. I like to think an actual touring load would be lighter than this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151008_155306.jpg 
Views:	732 
Size:	301.4 KB 
ID:	1022129Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151012_164300.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	1022130
    Rob, what fenders are you rocking there? Only ones I could find that cover 2.1 are the SKS, right?

mtbr member
    Rob, what fenders are you rocking there? Only ones I could find that cover 2.1 are the SKS, right?
    Those are the ones. Overkill for the current set of wheels, but they should do the job when I get a new set. http://www.sks-germany.com/en/produc...o-65-mountain/

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hi Troll owners, I'm looking for a kind soul to help me figure out how much clearance there is between the chainstays and crank arms (I haven't bought a frame yet). The idea is that I want to run very narrow cranks like XX1 race cranks. What would be awesome is if anyone happens to have some SRAM cranks on so I can compare against the SRAM frame fit specifications. I don't know how to find the same for Shimano…

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dstroud View Post
    Hi Troll owners, I'm looking for a kind soul to help me figure out how much clearance there is between the chainstays and crank arms (I haven't bought a frame yet). The idea is that I want to run very narrow cranks like XX1 race cranks. What would be awesome is if anyone happens to have some SRAM cranks on so I can compare against the SRAM frame fit specifications. I don't know how to find the same for Shimano…
    Truvative (SRAM) Stylo 1.1. There's about 11mm on the non drive and even more on the drive, about 13mm. Standard SRAM GXP bottom bracket, 73mm shell, so no spacers.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_S_08 View Post
    Truvative (SRAM) Stylo 1.1.
    Thanks man! Unfortunately I can't find anything out about the Stylo dimensions online so I can't compare against narrower cranks…

Maybe it's just easier to measure the outer part of the chainstays where the ends of the cranks are?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    125mm outer chainstay to outer chainstay. 175mm crankarms.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_S_08 View Post
    125mm outer chainstay to outer chainstay. 175mm crankarms.
    Really appreciate it. It looks like it'll be a tight fit with the XX1. 2mm on either side!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I seem to have misplaced the kitchen sink.

Surly Troll
    by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Hi Guys, my first post here and I'd like to start off with a question. After that I'd like to share the good news, my Troll!

The question is, what kind of adapter will let me use a 180mm rear rotor? I remember having seen a post of someone who pulled it off in this thread, but now that I need it cannot seem to find it...

Then, the Troll
    I commute on a trek dual sport, and used to play around on a trek remedy. Then I moved houses, and I cannot get to the heavier trails much anymore; I don't like cars and the remedy is not too suitable for long distances. Instead I used the remedy for lighter trails, a bit of urban assault and general screwing around at skateparks. That is, untill the front fork started to wear out, and I found that for the money of a new fork I could basically buy a new frame... Seeing as the big suspension of the remedy is not needed for the stuff I do nowadays anyway, I got the idea of a rigid. So the hunt was on for a rigid frame that would take my 26" wheels and most other of the remedy's parts.

The idea was to have a kind of batmobile that would outperform the dualsport in terms of offroad abilities and strength and be very close on the road. At first I was looking at the on-one 456 carbon, but after a chat with my LBS I decided against it. He told me carbon has a fairly short lifespan, and I was looking more for a maintenance friendly bike that I could have for life.

After that I spent many days looking for a steel frame that wasn't too "hardcore" (read unsuitable for long distances) but still strong enough to stand up to the screwing around at the skatepark. And I believe (and hope..) to have found this in the troll. Also, the versatility the troll offers appealed to me, and because of it have started making plans for a first try at a short bikepacking trip next spring. Enough bla bla, pics!

I got a box..
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/p47iikifww...22279.jpg?dl=0

with a frame
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwvgvtkqsh...26083.jpg?dl=0

As this is my first build, I had to fashion my own tools, so I got some ironware and made a headset press (it worked )
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7yy6m2go8...27804.jpg?dl=0

And I managed to get most of my old parts to fit:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbpuy9imir...41046.jpg?dl=0

I'll still need to get a seatpost, I'm borrowing the one from my commuter now, and I'll need to use shims to get my front derailler to fit. Was planning on a 1X9 setup at first, but having all the parts I thought I might as well make it a 3X9. Then I want to get some slicker tyres, like the schwalbe crazy bob 2.3 and get my rear brake fixed (with an adapter if possible, or I'll have to downsize the rotor).

I have rolled it down a hill a few times now, and went up a curb where the thud I would normally get even from my 150mm back and front suspended remedy seemed to be eerily absent.. I think I'm going to like my troll

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Evening guys
    As a road rider I've finally decided that I now need a bike for mixed road and trail riding. After going round in circles I'm finally settling on either a Troll or 1x1. Firstly ate the two frames essentially the same apart from dropouts and braze ons. I've read elsewhere that the Ogre is build from heavier tubing than the Karate Monkey which makes the KM a little lighter and a bit more fun to ride. Does anyone know if that is the case with the Troll and 1x1?
    I have a spare wheelset with Alfine from a previous LHT build so will be using them to start with and maybe build a 700cc set for fixed and SS riding just for a bit of a change. Does anyone know what size chain ring I could squeeze on with the 48mm chain line the Alfine offers?
    Also if I want to go for wider tyres can anyone recommend a reasonably priced rim which will accept 2 to 2.5 inch tyres? Also tyre recommendations for mixed road and trail riding?
    Loving the thread by the way and it just amazes me the variety of builds and versatility this bike offers.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Any 26" wheelset will do. Shimano MT55 ? If you really want to use 2.5" tyres, choose atleast 559x21c rim, 559x25c would be even better. Everything will fit. I used 559x32 with 3" Knard.

For mixed riding I have actually a 27.5" wheelset for Troll. Works and fits really well. Front is Nobby Nic 2.25" and rear Race King 2.25". Same tyres you can get also in 26".

btw.
    I'm planning on participating on triathlon next summer, so I tested is it possible to setup Troll with aerobar and tune the geometry for it. Yes it is and it looks ugly, but must be funny looking thing alongside those carbon-aero-tri-bikes
    Surly Troll-_full.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EssexBoyUK View Post
    I have a spare wheelset with Alfine from a previous LHT build so will be using them to start with and maybe build a 700cc set for fixed and SS riding just for a bit of a change. Does anyone know what size chain ring I could squeeze on with the 48mm chain line the Alfine offers?
    I can't remember my chain line numbers, but I'm running an Alfine 8 with a dished cog. I can't remember if it's currently dished out or in. Chainring is 32 or 34 teeth. I think it's 34. And I think I had to move it to the outside of the spider to get enough clearance between the chainring and the chainstay. But I'm also not sure my chainline is where I need it to be. Could probably go bigger and push the chainline out a little further.

Also if I want to go for wider tyres can anyone recommend a reasonably priced rim which will accept 2 to 2.5 inch tyres? Also tyre recommendations for mixed road and trail riding?
    Loving the thread by the way and it just amazes me the variety of builds and versatility this bike offers.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Chris
    Pacenti rims seem to be well-liked, and Pacenti recently decided to abandon 26" rims and is selling off existing stock at a discount. They have a wide-ish rim, 26mm internal. I have a set to build up, but I haven't actually tried them yet. They look nice.
    Rims : DL31 - 26 x 32h

Although if you have to ship them overseas, that may take away any pricing advantage.

I'm still running my Troll with the 700c set I borrowed off of my LHT, but once the Pacenti rims are built up, I expect to be running some 26" tires in the same range you're asking about.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Update on the Jones bar...

Hi everyone had the Jones Loop bar for awhile now and wanted to add a few thoughts.

The bar has changed my troll for the better the sweep really does place your hands in a comfortable position. On the inner bar near the stem I had a set of Specialised Bar Shapers wrapped under the grip tape. I have large hands and these really make for a comfortable perch.

I originally had bar tape wrapped on the ends of the bars as well, but changed to a set of Ergon grips. Its working well however I would like to try the Ergon GC1 grips for swept back bars. They are proving a little hard to find in OZ.

When I jump on my mountain bike with standard bars the difference is night and day. If you can try a set of Jones bars do so. A few people have ridden mine and gone out and picked up a set for themselves.

Surly Troll-dsc08165.jpg

Regards.

Stephen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    I originally had bar tape wrapped on the ends of the bars as well, but changed to a set of Ergon grips. Its working well however I would like to try the Ergon GC1 grips for swept back bars. They are proving a little hard to find in OZ.
    GC1s will move your grip so that the outside of your hands come forward a little, making the grip more like a flat bar. I guess this is desirable to some people because the grips are specifically marketed as being for swept back bars. But I like the sweep. My bars are not Jones bars (Velo Orange Crazy Bars), but the sweep is similar. I had GC1s on there at first, but I very shortly ordered a GP1 set because I didn't like how the grips tried to "correct" the sweep that I found comfortable.

Bars do make a difference, though. Thanks for the Jones evaluation. I was considering a Jones bar, but so far I'm really liking the Crazy Bar. I started out with a flat bar, and that thing went back in parts bin as quickly as I could get something else. I think a little sweep in the bars make them much more comfortable when you're putting a few miles behind you.

mtbr member
    I love the Jones bars but the Troll is still so long and low I haven't been able to get them set up at the same height and reach as on my Jones (need to find a short ugly riser stem).

Ryan

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi mate the stem on the Troll is a Pro gear LT stem 70mm plus 35 dec.

The stem on my Crosscheck is Ritchey 70mm 25 dec from memory.

If you really don't care what people think Pro and 3T make nice adjustable stems.

Regards.

Stephen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I pulled the trigger on a World Troller.
    I was leaning towards an ECR, but after going through this thread the Troll makes more sense as an all around travelling bike.
    Been saving my money, selling my motorcycles, so it's going to be an all out Cycle Monkey Rohloff & Gates build. Going to try some of the new Surly bits like the Extraterrestrial 26x2.5 tyres, and a 24 pack front rack for those days you need to carry an extra case of beer. No discs just Shimano V-brakes.
    Not exactly crazy about the color, but the Surly finish is tip-top, I'll get used to "Milque" I reckon. I got used to the Khakipants color of my LHT. Maybe I'll rattle can it some other awful color, to help repel possible thieves, though it will be hard to disguise the Rohloff hub.
    Going to be hard to wait the two months to pick it up in Berkeley, then wander around Northern California for a few weeks.

mtbr member
    I wasn't crazy about the color, either, but it's grown on me. Being very neutral, it doesn't clash with whatever colors you want to use for components, cable housing, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My 1st Troll build. To be used for 70%cross country riding and 30% bikepacking. 27.5 wheelset with 2 x 11 groupset.

I'm deciding on the following :

1.Front suspension brand required

2. Carbon or aluminium wheels.

3. What widest size 27.5 tyres for front and back.

4. Rim width , looking at wider front rim ( i29) and narrow rear.

Looking forward to sorting this build out and recommendations .

cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Hey Guys,

By now I more or less finished my Troll, only missing bottle cages and handlebar bag.

Today went for a four hour road and offroad test with 14kg of luggage before I'll take her on a 4 day (my first ever) bikepacking trip.

The offroad was a bit rough at times, some small streams to cross etc. but the Troll handled it with ease!

Pic: https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...80&oe=572F98C7

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Still haven't decided between Pugsley or Troll yet. If I go Troll it will be my on road, off road, baby fat and Steamroller fixed wheel replacement (selling the roller to make room and fund my next build).
    With all that in mind how does this sound sound for an all round Troll build?
    Off road/ tourer - dirt drops, 26" rabbit holes with dynamo front hub, Alfine rear, dirt wizards for off road and mini fat duties, 2" road tyres for touring/ commuting.
    Second pair of wheels using 700cc lightish rims and fixed hub for on road fixed wheel replacement duties.
    I live in the east of England so don't get extreme weather to really justify a proper fat bike as there's not alot of snow in winter (quite a bit of mud though)and riding will be mixed on and off road mostly on farm tracks, single track and forest roads. Already have a lovely pair of truckers for all my on road needs.
    What does the panel think?

mtbr member
    Still haven't decided between Pugsley or Troll yet. If I go Troll it will be my on road, off road, baby fat and Steamroller fixed wheel replacement (selling the roller to make room and fund my next build).
    With all that in mind how does this sound sound for an all round Troll build?
    Off road/ tourer - dirt drops, 26" rabbit holes with dynamo front hub, Alfine rear, dirt wizards for off road and mini fat duties, 2" road tyres for touring/ commuting.
    Second pair of wheels using 700cc lightish rims and fixed hub for on road fixed wheel replacement duties.
    I live in the east of England so don't get extreme weather to really justify a proper fat bike as there's not alot of snow in winter (quite a bit of mud though)and riding will be mixed on and off road mostly on farm tracks, single track and forest roads. Already have a lovely pair of truckers for all my on road needs.
    What does the panel think?
    I definitely plan on having some different wheel sets in play. Right now I'm halfway done with my first 26" wheelset. I actually put the rear wheel on, since it's almost the exact same diameter as the 700c set I had on there. Once I'm fully 26", I doubt I'll go back to 700c, but we'll see. Right now I'm thinking the 26", with i26 rims and 2.15" tires will be my standard commuter/touring set. I could swap in some dirt tires on that set, and may, but long term, I think I'd like a slightly wider set built up for dirt/off-road. Both sets (and the 700c) with Alfine 8s for easy swapping. And I'm thinking about a 24", fat-as-I-can-get-them set for the very rare snow event, or just bouncing around looking stupid. That set I'll probably do a little cheaper. I may use that set as the excuse I'm looking for to build up an automatic two speed.

It's all theoretical given that my first wheelset isn't even done yet, but I do like the possibilities of this bike, and how it can change it's function so well with a simple wheel change.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by whombom View Post
    Hey Guys,

By now I more or less finished my Troll, only missing bottle cages and handlebar bag.

Today went for a four hour road and offroad test with 14kg of luggage before I'll take her on a 4 day (my first ever) bikepacking trip.

The offroad was a bit rough at times, some small streams to cross etc. but the Troll handled it with ease!

The orange rims and hubs look great with the black bike!

Nice scenery too, looks alot like Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by whombom View Post
    Hey Guys,

Whombom

What sort of wheels are they?