Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the advice. How much benefit (if there is any) would I gain from running a 3" tire up front? Like R n R's question, is it better to mix and match?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'll run a tire up to 2.5", beyond that it's just too much weight. Might as well have a fat bike at that point.

New fork and finished the rack set-up.

mtbr member
    Damn. What a beast. Well done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

The Formula for an AWESOME conversion!

Thanks Matt.

Take 1 Surly Troll, HA angle 71 degrees, add a set of 650b wheels, replace 453mm, 40mm rake fork with 468mm,45mm rake fork and you are left with a bike that steers better than when it was stock. I'm not sure what I've done as far as the actual geometry numbers but I have to tell you that this thing steers like it has never before. It actually 'rails' turns. Somehow I've hit the jackpot. I love this bike more, the more I ride it.

DSC07229

Way
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Very cool! Is that a Fargo fork?

Love that Agent Orange and black fork combo. Not sure that the newer purple is my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post

Take 1 Surly Troll, HA angle 71 degrees, add a set of 650b wheels, replace 453mm, 40mm rake fork with 468mm,45mm rake fork and you are left with a bike that steers better than when it was stock. I'm not sure what I've done as far as the actual geometry numbers but I have to tell you that this thing steers like it has never before. It actually 'rails' turns. Somehow I've hit the jackpot. I love this bike more, the more I ride it.

DSC07229

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yep, Fargo V2 fork, now that I know how good this fork @ 468mm feels on the bike, I may have to put my Enabler fork on for the winter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not suprising that it handles great with a 100mm fox float which is 470 axle to crown and 45mm rake. This is my set up. Obviously this changes when sagged, but I'm looking to go 650b front only OR to a 120 fork to get these angles to match up whilst sagged... I love the geometry with the fork locked out and want to get that feel with the sag. I figure a 650b front only will get me all of these things without needing a new fork and reaping the benefits of a bit better rollover. This said, the way the bike rides as a dual 26" bike with the superb fox fork and big tires (minion dhf 2.5 in the front!) is really great already!

mtbr member

Salsa racks?

I'll run a tire up to 2.5", beyond that it's just too much weight. Might as well have a fat bike at that point.

New fork and finished the rack set-up.
    How are you liking the Salsa racks? I wish they had made it so the panniers could be attached lower on the rear rack so that it would be easier to access the rack platform.

Apparently the front racks play nicely with disc brakes. Was this your experience.

As for the Minimalist rack, it looks like it extends too far out but I imagine that when it's combined with the Down Low racks and has some weight on it, it's fine.

As for the 650b conversion... nice. Surly for the win yet again thanks to the built in versatility of their bikes.

I'll be making some changes to my CC as soon. Just can't leave well enough alone...
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    I bet between the fork and increased wheel diameter your head angle is about 69. Combined with the increased fork offset, you're probably pretty close to so-called "all-mountain" geometry. Good experiment.

Do you think you'll play around with a 26/650b configuration at all? With the Fargo fork you could try 26/29, as well, which I'm guessing would put your BB height in about the same place as the 650b setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    dfl I really like the racks, they are solid front and rear. I didn't want a lower mounting option for my panniers, I have awesome foot clearance. Up front I'm able to get the weight down low. I'll snap some better photos of the way the racks mount to the fork and loaded with my panniers and dry bags.

matt, I'm liking the set up the way it is right now so much that I'll stop here as far as wheel size is concerned. I sold my KM recently mostly because of how good 650b feels on the Troll. BB height right now feels spot on.

mtbr member
    Seeing this pic--and having a Fargo V2 fork in my stash--makes me wish I hadn't flipped my Troll so quickly.

Thanks Matt.

DSC07229
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

mtbr member

My research turned up some surprising comments...

As I was reading most any thread I could find, including touring travel blogs, I'm seeing a growing notion that folks are replacing, or would consider replacing their touring bikes with the "do-it-all" Troll.

I've even read about LHT to Troll converts, stating that the Troll simply does both tasks, road touring and off road touring, very well - while having all the various mounts needed.

Perhaps it's a Troll rather than a 26" Disc Trucker. Sure I would happy with either choice.
    Linux is for those who hate Microsoft, BSD is for those who love UNIX.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The only times I've ever disliked riding my Troll it's been on pavement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If it's not obvious yet, I love my Troll and I'm a picture whore.
    Surly Troll

Bushwacking.
    Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thread has been kind of slow lately...needs more Troll pics.

I just went bikepacking in the Pine Barrens of southern New Jersey this past weekend. Not the most scenic place on earth, but in mid-fall, it's pretty beautiful. I'll post a few pics here and leave the album link for your perusal...

The Troll is partway to a rackless bikepacking setup. As long as I have my current bulky sleeping bag (North Face Cat's Meow; it has served me well) I'll keep the rear rack around for it to sit on. Meanwhile the hammock, poncho-tarp and pot/stove plus extra clothes go in the handlebar roll (Revelate Designs) and a solid helping of Clif bars go in the pocket on top of that (also Revelate). The Frame bag is from Greg Wheelwright in Boulder, CO (12wheels on bikepacking.net forums - he makes a good bag, check him out!) It holds my water and the rest of the food, plus tools and maps and odds/ends in the smaller pocket. Since I don't have an underquilt for my hammock, I put my rolled-up sleeping pad in a backpack (REI Flash 18...weighs 10oz and rolls up tiny) and rode that way.

Google Maps took me on some very nice backroads into Wharton State Forest. I don't have a car, so I have to get places the hard way - biked to downtown Philly (on bike lanes the entire 3.5 mile way), took the train to Lindenwold, NJ and then rode 17 miles into the woods where the road turned into sand.

The full setup is visible here, complete with awkward backpack...an underquilt is next on my list of purchases for sure.

Camp in the morning

About to cross an old railroad bridge.

And here goes the album...many splendid fall foliage pictures lie within!

Photo Album - Imgur
    Last edited by jbphilly; 10-22-2012 at 06:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi mate, looks like a great weekend. The photos in the album are fantastic, looks like you had the place to yourself. How is sleeping in that tent?

Regards.

Stephen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, a few of the troll out in town doing its best to replace a car for me. After six months now and winter behind me its done well so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-dsc05474_2.jpg  

Surly Troll-dsc05480_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great pictures everyone!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Thanks Matt.

How did the conversion effect stand over height? Would you recommend going down a size if you plan on doing it?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

T E A M L U N A

Almost there...

Well I've been dicking around with this frame since I got it last July and I think it is about done.

Rhyno lite 32H rims laced to Ringle Disc Jockey hubs
    BB-7s
    CST Critter 2.1s (Been running them for a few months and really like em)
    XT BB
    FSA 386 crankset 40 and 27 tooth rings (worth a try at $120)
    XT pedals
    XT derailleurs front and back
    SRAM 9 speed cassette 11-34
    SRAM chain
    Rock Shox TK Silver ( had to go soft after I destroyed my wrist)
    Thomson seat post and stem
    Crank Bros. headset (it was orange)
    Easton Monkey Bars
    "Deer Head" shifters ( still shifting after 28 years!)
    Deore levers (looking to get some used Paul's off the ebays)
    Ergon grips
    WTB pure V saddle

This is my daily commuter (34k round trip on mostly dirt/gravel) and I also bikepack with it when I can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-sunday-2-.jpg  

En la tierra de los ciegos, un hombre tuerto es rey.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi mate, looks like a great weekend. The photos in the album are fantastic, looks like you had the place to yourself. How is sleeping in that tent?

Regards.

Stephen.
    Referring to the hammock? It's fantastic! Hammock camping is the way to go, as long as you have trees around...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    How did the conversion effect stand over height? Would you recommend going down a size if you plan on doing it?
    I actually didn't think about standover until you asked the question. With the newer design frame standover really isn't a issue for me. I pick my bikes size based on top tube length. I'd still ride a bike with minimal standover, with modern compact geometries it seems to be less of an issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    Thread has been kind of slow lately...needs more Troll pics.

I just went bikepacking in the Pine Barrens of southern New Jersey this past weekend. Not the most scenic place on earth, but in mid-fall, it's pretty beautiful. I'll post a few pics here and leave the album link for your perusal...

The Troll is partway to a rackless bikepacking setup. As long as I have my current bulky sleeping bag (North Face Cat's Meow; it has served me well) I'll keep the rear rack around for it to sit on. Meanwhile the hammock, poncho-tarp and pot/stove plus extra clothes go in the handlebar roll (Revelate Designs) and a solid helping of Clif bars go in the pocket on top of that (also Revelate). The Frame bag is from Greg Wheelwright in Boulder, CO (12wheels on bikepacking.net forums - he makes a good bag, check him out!) It holds my water and the rest of the food, plus tools and maps and odds/ends in the smaller pocket. Since I don't have an underquilt for my hammock, I put my rolled-up sleeping pad in a backpack (REI Flash 18...weighs 10oz and rolls up tiny) and rode that way.

Google Maps took me on some very nice backroads into Wharton State Forest. I don't have a car, so I have to get places the hard way - biked to downtown Philly (on bike lanes the entire 3.5 mile way), took the train to Lindenwold, NJ and then rode 17 miles into the woods where the road turned into sand.

The full setup is visible here, complete with awkward backpack...an underquilt is next on my list of purchases for sure.

Camp in the morning

About to cross an old railroad bridge.

And here goes the album...many splendid fall foliage pictures lie within!

Photo Album - Imgur
    Just a quick reply since I am between classes I attend and classes I teach, but I like everything about your post!

I am also a Trollster in Philly and I know of one more (yet to meet up w him)... I am way down to bike-camp and especially in Pine Barrens. Also, that sure looks like a West Philly porch to me.

Shoot me a PM on here, or I can post my email if you aren't up to the quota yet, but I'd love to meet some more bike campers, especially those not afraid of a little cold or the Jersey Devil. - R

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bike for days View Post
    Just a quick reply since I am between classes I attend and classes I teach, but I like everything about your post!

I am also a Trollster in Philly and I know of one more (yet to meet up w him)... I am way down to bike-camp and especially in Pine Barrens. Also, that sure looks like a West Philly porch to me.

Shoot me a PM on here, or I can post my email if you aren't up to the quota yet, but I'd love to meet some more bike campers, especially those not afraid of a little cold or the Jersey Devil. - R
    Haha, I'm the other Trollrider in Philly (well there is one more, I remember seeing a guy that you said wasn't you last fall), yeah we need to meet up and ride one of these times...life has been busy as hell.

I pretty much just have one friend who mountain bikes and he lives in Delaware so more people to ride with is what I need.

Not sure if you still have my number but I just texted you

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Mostly I'm subscribing to this thread but I'll post something useful too. . .

I assume that the Surly Front Rack does not work with a suspension fork; can anyone confirm this for me? I will be initially using a rigid fork but would like a rack with the versatility to be able to work with a suspension fork in case I swap over in the future.
    Check out the freeloader rack
    Your Platform For Adventure

Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 ... LastLast