Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The Build was a parts bin-budget build using some parts from my Pugsley (Pugs got upgrades!), parts from the forum, and stuff from the LBS.

Wheelset: Shimano M529 hubs, DT butted spokes, Stan's Flow rims (decals removed)
    Tires: Conti XKing 2.4, tubeless
    Crankset: Old LX triple
    Derailleurs: LX rear, XT front
    Shifters: Microshift Thumbies
    Brakes: BB7
    Misc: Salsa Stem, Mary bars, Race Face post, Selle Italia saddle
    Cables: Jagwire Ripcord
    Headset: FSA Orbit
    Pedals: Gusset Pinhead

Frame is 18", and that's the medium Tangle bag.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

When do these get to the UK?

Any idea when the purple/ warty troll frame sets get to the UK?

wants a taco
    The Troll handled this much better than I did. 2.3 Big Apples are an absolute blast coming back down.

Just another cycling blog...
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Phidan View Post
    Any idea when the purple/ warty troll frame sets get to the UK?
    For all things Surly/Salsa in the UK you need to look at the distributers home page, www.ison-distribution.com . Unfortunately it looks like they arnt listing the new troll colours yet as they seem to have good stock of the current orange model. They do however list that 24" ogres are due in on the 30th of this month so hopefully this might come with a side order of troll, but to confirm you need to find a shop that deals with Ison (most do) and get them to phone up and ask.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks- duly did as you suggested

The deal is that whilst the 2013 version premiered at eurobike, Ison still have older versions in stock and do not envisage getting the new'uns in stock for "at least a couple of months". My guess is they wish to clear the old stock prior to committing themselves.

my further guess is that any discount offered on the old frame set wouldn't cover getting the new mounts brazed on and a fresh powder coat, so it's wait and see or pay shipping from the US....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just took the rack and fenders off my Troll and added some knobby tires, so it's a real mountain bike now! The tires are Continental Trail Kings, which I have no idea if they're a good choice, but they were on sale at REI ($40 for the pair...probably still on sale) and they performed pretty good this weekend.

Here's the Troll

In the Wissahickon Valley, a huge tract of forest inside the city of Philadelphia

Here's the Troll as it was last winter. It stayed in that commuter/touring setup until this weekend, although I fixed the front fender so it's not all wack-ass

It should only be about 30-40 minutes of work to switch it back to that configuration if need be.

The setup is mostly stock Troll, except for the tires, the saddle (Brooks B17), the handlebars (Surly Torsion) and grips (Ergon GR2). Oh and the bottle cage up on top of the stem

mtbr member
    So I've been eyeing a Troll for a while, maybe for a 650B project, maybe to become my utility/child puller/camping bike, maybe just to try something new/old (I've been riding mostly 29ers for many years now). Anyway, my LBS had their annual garage sale today, which they combined with a consignment type swap meet. My buddy and I dropped by on our way to our ride. I picked up a derailer, some pedals, brake levers, etc, $20 worth of random parts, then turned around and decided I couldn't pass up this:

20" Troll frameset, my size would ideally be 22", but I think I can make this work. Came with a Chris King headset, Bontrager Rhythm Pro wheels (scandium!), Earl Urban tires, Bontrager race bars and stem, and Avid Code brakes, the front of which needs some attention.

Now for sale!

I'm having a good day
    Last edited by seat_boy; 10-07-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Obi
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post

BBQ'd bacon cheese burgers when we got back to the car.

I tip my hat to you Sir, Bikes+Beef is one thing, but you pulled the ace here including Bacon.

/THREAD OVER.

mtbr member
    I would love a Troll.

T E A M L U N A
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    So I've been eyeing a Troll for a while, maybe for a 650B project, maybe to become my utility/child puller/camping bike, maybe just to try something new/old (I've been riding mostly 29ers for many years now). Anyway, my LBS had their annual garage sale today, which they combined with a consignment type swap meet. My buddy and I dropped by on our way to our ride. I picked up a derailer, some pedals, brake levers, etc, $20 worth of random parts, then turned around and decided I couldn't pass up this:

20" Troll frameset, my size would ideally be 22", but I think I can make this work. Came with a Chris King headset, Bontrager Rhythm Pro wheels (scandium!), Earl Urban tires, Bontrager race bars and stem, and Avid Code brakes, the front of which needs some attention.

All for $300.

I'm having a good day
    Let the fun begin!
    En la tierra de los ciegos, un hombre tuerto es rey.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    just got my last bit of gear for my "streamlined" bikepacking option for the Troll, i still have the marathons, panniers and racks for road stuff but i like this option too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That troll looks awesome, love the topeak top-bag, never knew they made one like that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What frame pack is that? It looks just like the one I just got from Greg Wheelwright in Boulder...
    Last edited by jbphilly; 09-25-2012 at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    it is, i love it, will definately be going back to him for more gear for my other bike and for my other halves. great quality and a really decent bloke.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just got a chance to put mine on yesterday night and take a 10 minute ride. Unfortunately I don't know when I'll be able to take it on an actual camping trip...

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    it is, i love it, will definately be going back to him for more gear for my other bike and for my other halves. great quality and a really decent bloke.
    Quick question......

With the frame pack I was thinking of buying one for my Troll but I have been hesitant because I wondered if taking my water bottle cages if I will miss them.

And can you put bottles in the frame bag?

Otherwise I was thinking getting the half frame bag?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    yeah easily, i've got my tent, stove and 1 x 1lt camelbak bottle in there, depending on what you want to fit in there you could fit a few bottles in and some other gear, obviously depends on what size you have, mine is a 18"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How do you like the Ragley Carnegie bar? I'm building up a new Troll and trying to decide between it and the range of alt bars that have a 40 deg back sweep (Jones, Mary, Space OR2, etc.). Also, how do you like the GP1 grips with the Carnegie? I noticed that Ergon is coming out with the GC1 for 40 deg bars, but their weird twist seems to be trying to put the hands at the same angle as GP1s on a Carnegie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    Quick question......

With the frame pack I was thinking of buying one for my Troll but I have been hesitant because I wondered if taking my water bottle cages if I will miss them.

And can you put bottles in the frame bag?

Otherwise I was thinking getting the half frame bag?

Thanks
    You can put bottles in there, but I think a bladder makes more sense, it maximizes the space better.

I have a bottle cage on top of my stem so I don't miss having them in the frame

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    You can put bottles in there, but I think a bladder makes more sense, it maximizes the space better.

I have a bottle cage on top of my stem so I don't miss having them in the frame

Bladder is a good idea!
    I was thinking more for short rides and when I have need of a power drink.
    I to had hoped to get the bike out camping this year but I think I have run out of time.
    I think I will probably go with the frame pack.
    Looks good on SteveJ Troll !!!

My frame is a 22....lots of room!

Thanks!

Kevin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    just got my last bit of gear for my "streamlined" bikepacking option for the Troll, i still have the marathons, panniers and racks for road stuff but i like this option too.
    Great bike, best looking Troll so far.
    A little question, don't you have trouble with the width of the saddle on technical descents?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i dont' do technical descents

i have a dualie for my serious off roading, this one is just fun for me

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Studded tires for winter trolling

How do I know which ones to buy.

Should I mix and match for the front and back wheel.

I have ridden the Kenda skinny stud tires front and back for
    two winters.
    They are very good on ice riding slow to moderate and not so
    good in getting me through the snow.

I ride burbs and city with as many adventurous single track short cuts
    as I can come across.

Kenda, Nokian, Continental Schwalabe.
    They are all hight quality.

... which one.

any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I also have a few questions about winter riding.

First off, would you guys recommend maxing out the tire clearance (3" wide tire up front, 2.7" in the back) for mixed use commuter/trail riding in NH and VT?

Second, will tires that wide be compatible with my Velocity Cliffhanger wheels?

Lastly, any recommendations for a good winter tire? I'm looking at the Duro Razorback 3" and the Kenda Nevegal 2.7".

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Kenda Nevegals are my favourite winter tires.

650b'd

Any tire that works well at self cleaning in mud will work in snow, Nevegal, Ardent etc.

Spec, Eskar 26"

Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast