Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 1669

Thread: Surly Troll

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quality steel will rarely have major rust issues. I have even seen lots of bikes of various quality levels that have spent their entire life outdoors in all weather that were never killed by rust. Actually I have seen more aluminum bikes die from corrosion then steel. But with that being said, I treat all my frames with frame savers for peace of mind.
    Last edited by big_papa_nuts; 11-19-2014 at 07:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Haha, they sure are having fun over there in the office !

Btw, I was curious about the Frame Saver thingy. Does it really work or moisture alone isn't enough to cause damage to the interior of the tubing ? I ride year round and our winters are pretty nasty slushy and overly de-icing-salty. I've seen the damage done to exposed steel over the winter here, but I would assume the inside of the frame have already been coated in a rust-preventive product before they sent the frame to be painted ?
    I treat both my steel frame bikes with a corrosion prevention chemical (soma double cross and a karate monkey), where I am it is usually 80' to 100'F and very high humidty year round corrosion heaven. It is one of the few things I pay a local frame builder to do as I have limited space and it makes a hell of a mess.
    It needs redoing every couple years, I was told by the Surly and Soma dealer that neither come internally treated from the factory when I asked.

Huckin' trails

Surly Troll

Thanks, I guess I'll pick up a bottle of frame saver then. My guess is there isn't any drain hole on the BB shell either ? That's another thing I'll have to do. Is the BB shell already faced upon leaving the factory after the paint has been cooked ? Is the supplied headset a decent sealed cartridge one ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member

Re: Surly Troll

Thanks, I guess I'll pick up a bottle of frame saver then. My guess is there isn't any drain hole on the BB shell either ? That's another thing I'll have to do. Is the BB shell already faced upon leaving the factory after the paint has been cooked ? Is the supplied headset a decent sealed cartridge one ?
    http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew...ur_steel_frame
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Surly Troll

They use Cane Creek 40s in all their bikes, damn good headset. All of their frames are faced before painting, so you can scrape off the coat with a razor blade, or take it off with a facing tool.

A drain hole is not strictly necessary, as long as you're okay with pulling the seatpost and flipping it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Surly is starting to put an ED rust preventative coating on their new bikes but still recommends frame saver to be safe.

Take the extra time to do it right the first time then go ride your bike hard and forget about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Studded tires are going to be needed starting tomorrow. The melting snow is about to refreeze and turn the streets into a sheet of ice. Not much choice for 650b studded tires at the moment.

Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 650b
    by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Still one of my favorite bikes.

Huckin' trails

Surly Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Studded tires are going to be needed starting tomorrow. The melting snow is about to refreeze and turn the streets into a sheet of ice. Not much choice for 650b studded tires at the moment.
    Sweet bike !

Btw, I make my own studded tires for trail riding, but also works for commuting. Weight as low as the Ice Spiker Pro and cost 1/4 of the price, durability is about half of the carbine studs, but you can get it in 650b and not have to spend $200.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Graveyard Shift

SaddleUp, what have you been doing for road/touring tires, or do you just use more cross-y knobby tires instead? I've been considering a 650b wheelset for a Troll next year and I like swapping tires for various riding needs. I commute and tour on various Schwalbes and they don't seem to make anything like that in 650b.
    Long is the way, and hard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I don't ride a troll but I put Big Bens on my Crosscheck after meeting a guy finishing his ride from Alaska to Key West, FL on the Big Apples.

The Big Bens come in a 27.5x2. Mine have been super comfy and I haven't had a single flat since I put them on about 4000 miles ago. Good on and off road as long as you respect the lack of tread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    These are a decent tire...

650b Long Haul Trucker

650b Long Haul Trucker

And inexpensive.

Graveyard Shift
    These are a decent tire...

650b Long Haul Trucker

650b Long Haul Trucker

And inexpensive.
    It's worth a shot, I suppose. I would trade a finger for Schwalbe to make Marathon Mondials in 650b though.
    Long is the way, and hard.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

That is one of the better looking Trolls I've seen.

What frame size is it and do you know the saddle height as measured from the center of the BB? The Troll is a top contender for my next build and I want to see what a medium looks like with a 75cm saddle height.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks. It's a small (16). 73.5 cm.

Huckin' trails

Surly Troll

Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    They use Cane Creek 40s in all their bikes, damn good headset. All of their frames are faced before painting, so you can scrape off the coat with a razor blade, or take it off with a facing tool.

A drain hole is not strictly necessary, as long as you're okay with pulling the seatpost and flipping it.
    Err, no headset included in my frameset purchase as I discovered yesterday when picking it up from the shop. Lucky I had a spare headset laying around, so I had the cups pressed in today and there's already a drain hole under the BB, so I'm all set ! I coated the inside with Rust-Check Coat and Protect yesterday, today I was able to degrease and wax the frame as well as put a few stickers on. Gonna add black reflective tape and wrap the chainstay tomorrow. I like stickers on my commuter, and on my helmets. Beside that, I never dare sticking the slightest thing on all of my properties. I usually place the stickers where the frame is most likely to rub and scratch over time, so it helps protect at the same time.

Surly Troll-imageuploadedbytapatalk1417145197.925621.jpg

Surly Troll-imageuploadedbytapatalk1417145225.289868.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sorry to be misleading, I seemed to get the impression you were buying a complete

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Still loving mine, although I've threatened to sell it a couple times...until I ride it again.

In 120mm travel 650B mode:

In 26", dynamo lit, super commuter mode:

Coming soon: 26" gravel/pavement touring bike mode

Oh, and corwin1968, this is a medium with a 75cm saddle height.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Huckin' trails

Surly Troll

Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Sorry to be misleading, I seemed to get the impression you were buying a complete
    No worry, I appreciate the help it should be complete by Monday though !

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417145197.925621.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	942333
    Surly Troll-albesdancesticker.jpg

Just sayin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Still loving mine, although I've threatened to sell it a couple times...until I ride it again.

In 120mm travel 650B mode:

In 26", dynamo lit, super commuter mode:

Coming soon: 26" gravel/pavement touring bike mode

Oh, and corwin1968, this is a medium with a 75cm saddle height.
    Thanks for point that out! It really helps me see what "my" Troll would look like and also shows me what I'll need to do to get the handlebars where I want them. Very, very helpful!

I would also be putting the same Deore crankset on mine!

Huckin' trails

Surly Troll

Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post

Name:	albesdancesticker.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	942359

Just sayin.
    What, you don't like my vintage snowshoes ? I won a few charleston igloofest dance competitions with them

Huckin' trails

Surly Troll

I wonder if strapping my axe on the frame would deter drivers from trying to run me off the street on my commutes ?

Surly Troll-imageuploadedbytapatalk1417230026.201628.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Surly Troll-_small.jpg
    After summer I finally found 3" Knard to my Troll and also bought 2.75" DW as a rear tyre. 39mm Alexrims and tires fit easily. Really different ride feeling compared to my 650B 2.2" Continental Racekings..

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by FinPhotographer View Post

Name:	_small.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	947326
    After summer I finally found 3" Knard to my Troll and also bought 2.75" DW as a rear tyre. 39mm Alexrims and tires fit easily. Really different ride feeling compared to my 650B 2.2" Continental Racekings..
    Cool
    Looking at that pic, the rear tire looks bigger than the rear. Probably because the tire itself is "taller" since the rim is a smaller diameter. A 29" DW up front would be good no?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Rims are both 26". It was a little bit difficult to find 26x3.0 Knard, but I finally found it from Holland.

Huckin' trails

Surly Troll

Can you fit a 26x3.0 knard in the rear of a Troll ? Surly website says max 26x2.7 rear clearance. I guess the Troll fork can take wider than 3" though ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Can you fit a 26x3.0 knard in the rear of a Troll ? Surly website says max 26x2.7 rear clearance. I guess the Troll fork can take wider than 3" though ?
    I would say Knard could fit there, but it will be a really tight fit, because Knard has a lot smaller knobs than DW. I will definetly try it some day and report here.

I would almost bet the 3.8" Knard would fit with 50mm rim in the fork. I will try to find one somewhere to test it

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Knard 26+ on Troll, Any experience?

Huckin' trails
    Thanks !

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Two trolls on tour.
    Surly Troll-troll-mtbr3.jpg Surly Troll-troll-mtbr.jpg Surly Troll-troll-mtbr2.jpg

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Great pics! How'd they feel on long multi-day rides?
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks.
    Mine is the black one, I love it. Feels sturdy, slow (in a good way) and comfy. Very stable off-road with a heavy load. I'm used to riding mountain bikes so the ride position suits me. I would probably raise the stem a little more and throw some bar ends on the handlebars for a bit more comfort.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Mine's black too,and your thoughts mirror mine (I've had a couple long days on it loaded on gravel-ish roads on S24o's). Yeah,I'm always a mtn biker 1st and foremost myself (though my highest mileage bike is my CX bike...but since building up my Troll earlier this year,it's been collecting more dust ),the Troll has beena good fit for me,though if I were to sell my CX'er,I might go Ogre--been a 29er SS guy for 6-7 years until building the Troll up
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hi everyone!

My name is Didier, from France. I'm very willing to buy a Surly bike, a Troll to be precise.

BUT, I find something very intriguing and I couldn't find any answer to it: it's about the "sloping" geometry of the bike. Based on several pictures of it, I realised the angle between the top tube and seatstays varied depending on the model. On some bikes, they make approx a 140° angle, on others, they are completely aligned, forming a 180° angle!
    I'm not a big fan of the latest, actually.

Name:  surly-troll-1.jpg
Views: 5570
Size:  66.5 KBSurly Troll-l_surly-troll.jpg

So... my question was
    Why is that? Is that related the year of production?
    Can I be confident the frame I order will correspond to the picture on the website (which I like)? Or do I have to fear a bad surprise?
    Does that make any real difference from a technical point of view? Or just aesthetics?

I'm new to touring bikes, it will be my first, actually and this prevented me from ordering the frame so far, I don't want to sc... up, you understand . I have no possibility to check with a real Troll (they are super difficult to find here), I have to make it entirely through the internet.
    Would be very cool if one of you, knowledgeable forumers, could instruct me. Sorry to bother with newbie questions.

Thanks in advance.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    If I'm understand you correctly what you are seeing is simply the effect of different sized frames. As the size increases so do do the sizes of the triangles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Simple as that.

Yeah, it makes perfect sense. I thought about it but it was hard to confirm with only pictures.
    There is nothing about this feature in the documentation of the Surly website
    I need a 16", so it should be all right.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desi View Post
    Simple as that.

Yeah, it makes perfect sense. I thought about it but it was hard to confirm with only pictures.
    There is nothing about this feature in the documentation of the Surly website
    I need a 16", so it should be all right.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
    The one on your first picture is what you will get for the size 16"
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Huckin' trails

Surly Troll

Surly Troll-imageuploadedbytapatalk1420719670.286922.jpg

I hate snow !

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Surly Troll

Here's some red meat for you Trollers...

http://youtu.be/Z0wAPztOO2U

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Surly Troll

Something tells me that arctic truckers don't see many bikes! Next time bring the Pugs and Pogies?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Does anybody find shifting the front mech to a bigger ring really stiff on their Troll?

I have a Deore front mech which worked well on my old Cannondale, which was a bottom pull design; but since I got it put on the Troll [Top Pull] it is so stiff that I get a slightly sore thumb with it.

If anybody has a solution, cheaper than getting a rohloff, I'd be so glad to hear it.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I use a Deore shifter with a XT mech and the shifting is smooth and easy. Works extremely well.

Something is not right with your set up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks Saddle Up, I'll try to give a bit more detail.

All I can think of is that on the Cannondale the cable went under the BB shell, up and around a pulley to pull the mech from above ... now on the Troll the cable pulls up directly from the cable stop near the top of the seat tube. i.e. no pulleys.

I've never had a bike with a front mech cable coming from the top tube before, and I wonder if other setups on Trolls run like this, or are there pulleys on top pull specific mechs?

I thought the Deore mech was supposed to work either way?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightlinerbob View Post
    Here's some red meat for you Trollers...

I want to see the world: The North (1 of 2) - YouTube

Enjoy!

Thanks! That was awesome!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayer747 View Post
    Does anybody find shifting the front mech to a bigger ring really stiff on their Troll?

I have a Deore front mech which worked well on my old Cannondale, which was a bottom pull design; but since I got it put on the Troll [Top Pull] it is so stiff that I get a slightly sore thumb with it.

If anybody has a solution, cheaper than getting a rohloff, I'd be so glad to hear it.

Cheers.
    If you could attached a photo of how you setup yours, maybe we could give you a more accurate solutions or suggestions,
    Thanks,
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Both links were great!
    Enjoyed both of them!!

Thanks Freightlinerbob and vitaly66

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by iphilrive View Post
    this little troll just got cooler! Attachment 847855Attachment 847856
    Iphilrive,

I saw in another post that you got a 14 inch troll for your wife. I am considering the same for my wife, but not sure if it would be close. Do you mind telling me how tall your wife is?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Surly troll with duallys and dirt wizards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-2015-01-25-15.50.06.jpg