Page 29 of 58 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Dropped my frame and parts collection off at the bike shop this morning, picking up next week. Already looking into building a disc wheel set and a 100-120mm fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sbruton7 View Post
    Well from the Surly blog and email correspondence, we now know that the 2013 troll will come in "Nurple Purple" and "Black" and include a third set of water bottle cage mounts on the under side of the down tube and Salsa Anything Cage mounts on the fork (a la the Ogre). My Rohloff and Son 28 hubs arrived from German yesterday. Parts gathering is complete, I just need to build the wheels and wait for the black frames to become available.
    The blog suggests that there is no change to the build, just the colours- is that a mistake?

I've been waiting off for a year (since this thread's pages were in single figures!) in the hope that the frame/fork mods would be added...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Back in early June I wrote to Surly asking the following: "I've heard rumors that the Surly Troll frame and fork will be changed to include bottle cage mounts on the under side of the down tube and anything cage mounts on the fork (as is currently the case on the Ogre). Is this true, and, if so, do you know when Troll frames and forks with these changes will be available? Also, any word on if the Troll will be available in another color and, if so, when that might be available?"

They wrote back stating: "We will be adding those mounts to the Troll, but it won’t be happening until September or October. Likely around that time there will be another color option as well. So, things are moving, just slowly."

Combine the above email exchange with the news about purple and black frames on their blog, and we get what I was describing. I took their comment about no changes to the build to mean the components on the complete bike. Fingers crossed that they did not change their minds about adding the new mounts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    All those extra holes are nice if you are using them, but otherwise, I'd rather not have them. For touring, sure, they are great, but not necessary. Hose clamps and rubbers strips work pretty well for the occasional use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alan ss View Post
    All those extra holes are nice if you are using them, but otherwise, I'd rather not have them. For touring, sure, they are great, but not necessary. Hose clamps and rubbers strips work pretty well for the occasional use.
    Why I bought a 1x1

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alan ss View Post
    Were I not going to use them, I would probably question their purpose. But the troll seems such a versatile beastie- drops, mudguards and front and rear racks for road touring, frame bag and anything cages for off road- even hub gears and a trailer if the mood takes you... I'm sure at some point I will have it stripped back as a fixed/free "pub bike", making use of the canti studs so I can use a flipflop hub.

The troll's going to be replacing a 700c touring bike, as well as my current steel 26" hardtail. As it stands, I would rather have options and not use them than make do without them.

Can't wait to get one of the new framesets- thanks Sbruton7 for the info

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If the troll existed x yrs ago I would totally have gotten one of those instead of my 54cm LHT. I am considering a swap of sorts but it's a financial hit for sure. But the new purple color I am very curious about!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'd buy a green 26" Disc Trucker today if it would accept wider tires. But it won't, so it looks like my next frameset will be either a Troll or a Krampus. A Krampus IF I can get one this fall and IF it has a good number of rack and bottle mounts. Otherwise it will be a Troll.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Troll frame size for tall people

I'm somewhat patiently waiting to buy one of the new black Troll frames in Sept/Oct, when they become available. So I am spending the interim obsessing about which frame size to get. I'm 6'4", so I could fit the 22" with no problem, but I like a shorter top tube and lower stand over height. So, I am also considering the 20" (with a Thomson 410mm set back seat post and a 100mm or 110mm stem). Anyone out there over 6'2" riding a 20" Troll who can provide feedback and pics of your set up? For those with the 22" frame, what is the shortest stem you have run? Have stems under 90mm adversely effected handling?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Troll Reborn

Hey everybody,

Just checking in. After finishing an epic Alaska to Argentina ride on my Troll (alongside my brothers, you can read about it on our Bound South blog).

I'm home and it's time for the Troll to be reinvented.

Now, instead of a full-on tourer, it's more of an XC MTB that I will use to commute and with a little outfitting, it will again become an off-road touring machine with some light racks, Arkel off-road bags, frame bag, and bar bag.

The big change is the suspension on the front with a burly Rockshox XC32 steel coil-sprung fork. Suspension totally changes the character of the Troll. What a fun bike. I can't stop smiling or riding the thing. I also converted from Salsa Woodchippers to flat bars with Avid levers and man it's a fun bike to ride. If I weren't doing off-road touring I'd stick to the Woodchippers long term.

The major build notes:

Avid BB7 brakes
    Avid SD7 levers (these are a new addition along with the flat bars)
    Rohloff with Velocity Cliffhanger rims (heavy but bulletproof and damn fun)
    Campy alloy road racing cranks, Phil square taper BB (adjustable for chainline), BBG bashguard
    Thomson stem/post

I'll say it again: what a great bike.

I'll finish by quoting the Surly official Troll page:

"Use it as a mountain bike, cruiser, commuter or touring rig. Make it your go-to utility tractor. Try out different tires and handlebars. Add some racks, build it with gears, or strip it down to a singlespeed drivetrain. Take it camping, ride it to the grocery store or session on your favorite single-track. Build it up, ride it for a while, then reinvent it."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-super-troll.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey, I'm doing some more serious mountain biking and want to get a pair of knobby tires to replace the slick ones from my stock Troll. I'll be getting a more serious touring/trekking tires at some point, but right now I just want a relatively inexpensive (ideally around $50 for a pair) set of tires that'll increase my traction when riding on dirt.

Any suggestions? I would also like the fattest tires possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Looks like you can get the Maxxis Ardent 26x2.6 for $35/tire at CambriaBike.com.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    maybe not the cheapest but i got a pair of Schwalbe Nobby Nic 26 x 2.4 for $66 AUD delivered from CRC, they are fat!

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by dm.aelis View Post
    Hey everybody,

Just checking in. After finishing an epic Alaska to Argentina ride on my Troll (alongside my brothers, you can read about it on our Bound South blog).
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey Saddle Up,

How well does your Ortlieb handlebar bag stay put on the trails? Are you using it for a dslr camera, and if so, how well does that work for you?

Thanks,
    Dan

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So far so good, the mounting system for the bag is the best I've ever seen. It uses a wire under tension in a figure 8 type configuration around the stem. I'm not using a dslr but I do carry my camera in the bag, with a light jacket, gloves etc, it's enough to protect the camera from bouncing around. They do have an optional internal divider that would also aid in keeping things put. I ordered a second mount for my LHT the very same day I installed this one on the Troll I was so impressed with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The ortlieb mount and the bag itself are very good, with a DSLR in (using ortlieb padded insert) mine was quite stable when taking my LHT down dirt roads. Wouldnt reccomend it on 'offroad' trails tho, the bag isnt solid so it would bounce around a lot, and that would annoy my sufficiently to not bother with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Surly has posted some pictures of their 2013 models in new colors. Here is one of the new Troll in purple. You can see the new anything cage mounts on the fork and water bottle mount on the underside of the down tube. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Actually, just noticed that the top of the down tube has anything cage mounts, too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I don't know . . . that frame has nine more holes that would be filled with nine screws, at least for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    agreed on the 's! i checked in on your guys blog during your journey. looked like a great trip, well done!

mtbr member
    .....i mean in regards to........

Quote Originally Posted by dm.aelis View Post

epic Alaska to Argentina ride on my Troll (alongside my brothers, you can read about it on our Bound South blog).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Needs a bit of tweaking with the stem and bars but pretty happy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-imag0068.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Purple Troll!

Well my girlfriend likes purple more than orange and wanted the extra mounts on the fork so I spent yesterday swapping last years frameset for this years. She loves it!

Last edited by skrnygphr; 09-02-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Page 29 of 58 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast