Page 25 of 59 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^Thanks for that, but the measurement required is actually from the centre of the BB to the top of the *frame* (where the clamp goes that stops the seatpost slipping back down), or in other words from the centre of the BB to the BOTTOM of the exposed seatpost. What I'm trying to figure out is the *actual* centre-to-top measurement for a given frame size, as opposed to the Surly nominal frame size measurement that goes to somewhere below this point.

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    ^Thanks for that, but the measurement required is actually from the centre of the BB to the top of the *frame* (where the clamp goes that stops the seatpost slipping back down), or in other words from the centre of the BB to the BOTTOM of the exposed seatpost. What I'm trying to figure out is the *actual* centre-to-top measurement for a given frame size, as opposed to the Surly nominal frame size measurement that goes to somewhere below this point.
    48cm on my 18"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Here are a couple recent photos in fully-loaded touring mode. The Troll is well balanced with a full load such that I can ride no hands. Went with the OMM Sherpa on the front, rather than low riser, because a lot of my offroad riding needs the clearance for grass, rocks and branches. Also, mud build up on the panniers won't be as much of an issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mwv View Post
    48cm on my 18"
    Thanks for that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Most Surly's seat tube length are 1" longer than the listed size on their site...
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    Nice build! How do you like having suspension again? I am thinking of getting a suspension fork to switch out for longer, off road excursions. Powder looks good too!
    On this ride I only needed it for once section, a stretch of unpaved road completely covered with pizza-sized divots about 6 inches deep, just enough to make my wrists and elbows go numb had I not had the suspension.

But I like it. I still have the other fork so someday I'll switch out and compare. When I get my Karate Monkey built up for the same terrain I'll have a better idea of how critical it is.

Once I find some singletrack I'm sure it'll be more important; many of the local riders are fully suspended.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Most Surly's seat tube length are 1" longer than the listed size on their site...
    At least - my Cross Check was 30mm larger, at 590mm centre of BB to top of seat tube versus 560mm "Surly size" which was from centre of BB to top of top tube.

T E A M L U N A

Troll

in its natural habitat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-vdf-8-.jpg  

En la tierra de los ciegos, un hombre tuerto es rey.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So I bought Gossamer's Troll in the next larger size and I'd say it fits much better than the 18". Thanks again dude!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My new Troll build. Already been on a few good rides. Loaded, and unloaded. Love it. Just need to get the bars up a bit, since I have a very long torso, and short arms and legs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Love it!

what tyres are they? Marathon Extreme?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Changed the OMM Sherpa front rack for a better fit and handling. Now mounted the other way around and directly to the fork, rather than the QR. This gets the rack lower and further back, adding more stability to the front end. Probably not as strong as the QR mount, but for lighter loads on roads and smoother trails, I'm not too concerned with strength. Would definitely switch back to the QR mount for rougher terrain or heavy loads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    after what seems months of waiting my Troll frameset is hopefully going to arrive today, it will be a late nite as i plan to build it straight away.
    stand by for pics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    and done

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    yeah i had a bit of trouble on the front, i dont' know how some of the guys are getting around the brake caliper, i ended up having to use the next set of bosses up, works fine though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    very nice! I've fenders I still gotta throw on mine

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    yeah i had a bit of trouble on the front, i dont' know how some of the guys are getting around the brake caliper, i ended up having to use the next set of bosses up, works fine though.
    If you keep the plastic safety clips then you'll struggle to clear some brake calipers. Most people ditch them* this allows you to bend/kink the wire strut to clear the caliper and just bolt the wire to the fork directly

*on some fork/caliper combinations you can keep the plastic clip and still bend the wire strut around the caliper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Looks like you already cut down your fender stays, so too late unless you replace them. I use an aluminum spacer to clear the caliper. Probably 1/2" or less. Should be able to find at any decent bike shop. Could do the same with several washers.

Nice build, BTW.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    SteveJ, is the rear Tubus rack the 700C version or the (11-13mm lower) 26" specific one??? I'm wondering as it seems a bit higher above the wheel than ideal, and whether it cannot instead be mounted to the lower "trailer" eyelets. If it's the 700C rack the two changes would be worth maybe 3cm or so...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    good eyes sir!

you are correct, it's a rack i had on my last bike, not sure how it will affect the handling.

i just went out and tried what you suggested but when using the lower hole it fouls with the fender support arms.

happy to listen to any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alan ss View Post
    Looks like you already cut down your fender stays, so too late unless you replace them. I use an aluminum spacer to clear the caliper. Probably 1/2" or less. Should be able to find at any decent bike shop. Could do the same with several washers.

Nice build, BTW.
    even where i have them mounted i had to use a spacer, i couldnt' work out any other way to do it. i hit the trails today on it and it was great fun to ride, heading out tomorrow to explore for some bike camping sites.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Looks like the cargo evo (tubus - Cargo evo) might be a bit easier to mount, and a bit lower in the 26" specific version. (I'm waiting for the frames with the extra braze-ons to appear, so have plenty of time to dither about stuff.) The way things are going it ight be next year before I do anything. [sigh]

Also, I'm wondering if anyone here has tried to fit a Tubus Smarti front rack (tubus - Smarti) to a Troll. The mid-height bag placement works well off-road (previous custom rack on long-gone bike), but I suspect none of the eyelets on the Troll fork will actually work. :-(

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    After 3 stems and about 5 sets or bars I think I am done tinkering......maybe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-dsc_8914.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sorry for the indoor pics.... its seen 1800 miles this year in various forms this year alone.

22" Troll
    8 speed xtr
    SLX 2x crank
    bb7/shorty ultimate
    thomson controls
    surly bar
    ruffians
    spech tires (changes weekly between that and some slicks)

Last edited by Kevin_Federline; 06-14-2012 at 06:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwv View Post
    After 3 stems and about 5 sets or bars I think I am done tinkering......maybe.
    Im sorry add some more tinkering
    I think you need a setback seatpost to balance out the weight on your Brooks rails?
    What ya think?
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Page 25 of 59 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast