Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 1676

Thread: Surly Troll

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by iphilrive View Post
    Going to try and convince my wife unit she "needs" a 16" Troll next year, might need to be 2015.

Agree, lucky to have both Troll and Ogre.
    Tuff Schist

iphilrive
    yeah just say i'm flat broke for christmas time! but yeah i wish she got the 16 instead of the 14 but she actually fits on the 14 perfectly!

A God Without A Name
    Looks to me like a lot of love and personalization went into that Troll. good on you!

Tires
    Really cool, but are the Ergon grips on backwards?

Those bars look extremely high (full stack of spacers + riser bar), compared to the super nice ladies' Brooks saddle height.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    Really cool, but are the Ergon grips on backwards?

Those bars look extremely high (full stack of spacers + riser bar), compared to the super nice ladies' Brooks saddle height.
    Not trying to troll, but it looks like a BMX/Freeride bike. Can you do some sweet jumps on this!?

iphilrive
    haha i'm sure you could.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Yay! The shop called and said the frame is in! Total surprise, said it would be here mid-January-ish. Ahh, still have to wait till after the holidays to build up.
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    yeah bikeman told me they were due on the 19th so fingers cross mine will be shipping too

Expert Pushing SSer
    Had visitation rights with the frame today at the shop. I did not unwrap it because it will live at the shop for a while. I was impressed with the packaging, and at first feel the quality is there. It did not feel horribly heavy. The black looks good. So far so good. Hope this is acceptable use of the Troll thread.
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Has anyone fitted Troll with 160mm rear discs? Does the axel go all the way in the dropouts? I have 160mm disc and Shimano XT disc brakes and for me I can get it only halfway of the dropouts.

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by FinPhotographer View Post
    Has anyone fitted Troll with 160mm rear discs? Does the axel go all the way in the dropouts? I have 160mm disc and Shimano XT disc brakes and for me I can get it only halfway of the dropouts.
    Troll (and Ogre) can ONLY be run with 160mm discs, and my axle goes all the way in, no problem.

"Note: rear disc brake is limited to 160mm maximum rotor diameter and requires the use of Surly caliper adapter" (Troll | Bikes | Surly Bikes).

Be sure you're using the SPECIAL SURLY disc caliper adapter, and that it's facing the right way (arrow towards direction of travel). It also says, "Troll" on the special adapter.
    Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlé

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hmm, I think I didn't get that adapter with me when I got my frame..
    Thanks!

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by FinPhotographer View Post
    Hmm, I think I didn't get that adapter with me when I got my frame..
    Thanks!
    Yeah, you're going to need that to run a rear disc brake. Get with whoever sold you your frameset, and good luck! (that adapter also came with two stainless M6 bolts as well, in the box new, wrapped in plastic)

troll
    *My Troll didn't need the adapters.
    Edit: Scratch that last comment. Turns out, my Troll does have the brake adapter on the rear. Since I bought my frame second-hand, it was already mounted to the rear, and I didn't realize it was a special adapter for the frame.
    Last edited by brokebike; 12-27-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by brokebike View Post
    My Troll didn't need the adapters.
    Are you running disc brakes in the rear? Or are you being cute with some cantilevers or something?

troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    Are you running disc brakes in the rear? Or are you being cute with some cantilevers or something?
    Sorry, you're right. See my edited post above!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    does anyone here know where can I buy Surly Troll x-small frameset?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Can't upload flickr images

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Fun in the snow http://
    P1090991 by DennisLitto, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    http://
    P1090982 by DennisLitto, on Flickr

mtbr member
    ^^^ Very cool! Nice to see some rim brakes what wheels on your bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    ^^^ Very cool! Nice to see some rim brakes what wheels on your bike?
    Those are Snowcat rims (44mm) laced to STX hubs. They are like new with NOS Nokian Boazoabeana tires, I scored the wheelset on ebay for cheap. I can really lower the pressure with this combo, it's handles great in the snow.

mtbr member
    My snowrunner on a nice sunny day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    MikenIke, Very nice.... what fork length are you using.

Regards,
    KW

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MikenIke View Post
    My snowrunner on a nice sunny day.
    That's a beautiful photo, I really like that

mtbr member
    @KW, It's a White Brothers 650b 110mm if I remember correctly. The total bike has about 45 miles on it since built.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Troll Friends, if you happen to know anyone in/near Toronto CAN who needs a troll use this to convert them: 20" 2013 Surly Troll - Pinkbike

Expert Pushing SSer
    OK, for me this is becoming like Days of Our Lives! Troll frame paid in full. Donor bike washed down. Parts are trickling in to the operating room. Wheels cleaned, and Vittoria Randonneur Cross 26"x1.75" mounted to Mavic x317s with Hayes Superlight hubs. Much easier than the Schwalbes I installed in my wifes bike and the Randonneur Pros on my existing commuter. The Marathons, though great tires, are a real PITA to install!

So question for the Trollites or others with any experience - How would you feel about those wheels on a moderately loaded tour say 6-10 days? Also, I am about 160 lbs and am planning to start with a 160 mm rotor in front? Any reservations? The bike will be commuter with panniers and occasional tourer. FWIW I run a 29er with 160s front and rear, no problem with fade that I am aware of. Perhaps I should up my skills!

Thanks to all that have supported my habit to date.

Can not wait to build the beast up!
    Last edited by Meat Foot; 01-05-2014 at 08:14 PM.
    Tuff Schist

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Someone buy my damn cross bike so I can finance a Troll!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Someone buy my damn cross bike so I can finance a Troll!
    Someone buy my troll so I cay buy cx!

....wait a minute
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Getting the word out about a Threadless stem shifter adapter I have been working on. Here is a pic of it on my Krampus. I am building up a ECR this next week and will post a better picture of the shifter on a bike that it is designed for. I will hopefully be bringing these to market in the next 6 months or so. They will work with loads of vintage down tube shifters along with all Shimano bar ends and most Taiwan style thumb shifters. The whole adapter will be made in the USA.Click image for larger version. Name: Stem shifter.Attachment 861924

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Stem shifters? You are a joke.

And if you are not, spamming all the Surly threads with your piece of shite product is a very poor way to build rep.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Dang man very harsh. I guess the product is not for you. I am just getting the word out about something in a somewhat grass roots way as I am in the early stages of maybe producing a product. I am very sorry if I offended anybody in anyway.

Expert Pushing SSer
    It's done. It rides very well, and comfy as hell. Couple of crappy phone shots.
    Surly Troll-photo-1.jpgSurly Troll-photo-2.jpg
    Can't wait for the fenders and rack to go to work on this monster.
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot View Post
    It's done. It rides very well, and comfy as hell. Couple of crappy phone shots.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	1019 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	862014
    Can't wait for the fenders and rack to go to work on this monster.
    Congratulations on the new ride Meat! Cool to know another Troll here in Salem. I'll be keepin' my eye out for ya!

mtbr member
    Looks great Meat Foot!

mtbr member
    Hey All~
    Built up beautiful 20" troll, ordered logo evo rear rack from Wayne at the Touring store. Looking for info on fenders and front racks.
    Running Big apples 2.3, and thinking OMM Cold Springs for up front.
    Thoughts?
    Pics to come…
    Thanks!

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by babatroll View Post
    Hey All~
    Built up beautiful 20" troll, ordered logo evo rear rack from Wayne at the Touring store. Looking for info on fenders and front racks.
    Running Big apples 2.3, and thinking OMM Cold Springs for up front.
    Thoughts?
    Pics to come…
    Thanks!
    I plan to use a Tubus Vega on the front of mine, so if you try that out for me...

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by MikenIke View Post
    Looks great Meat Foot!
    Thanks! So glad I went with the Troll. It is so comfy and sure footed. Two commutes on it. Waiting on fenders, but will take the dry weather we've had!
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    So, any thoughts on fenders to cover BA 2.35s?
    I've been looking at SKS p65 and PB Cascadia 29er's.
    Any experience with these?
    Thanks all

Expert Pushing SSer
    So, any thoughts on fenders to cover BA 2.35s?
    I've been looking at SKS p65 and PB Cascadia 29er's.
    Any experience with these?
    Thanks all
    I just installed the P55s. I heard good things about the PBs though. Both companies can provide spare bits if they break or whatever. PBs are free, whereas the SKS will charge you. This is what my shop told me. I found some rigging and Dremeling or hack sawing the stays required to get mine in. I also added a piece of metal to drop the front fender mount down lower. I am running urban 26x1.75 tires so this provides a little cleaner line. I have found installing full fenders takes time and patience but well worth it for the coverage. Good luck, and I would say either are good solid fenders.

Meat
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    I just installed the P55s. I heard good things about the PBs though. Both companies can provide spare bits if they break or whatever. PBs are free, whereas the SKS will charge you. This is what my shop told me. I found some rigging and Dremeling or hack sawing the stays required to get mine in. I also added a piece of metal to drop the front fender mount down lower. I am running urban 26x1.75 tires so this provides a little cleaner line. I have found installing full fenders takes time and patience but well worth it for the coverage. Good luck, and I would say either are good solid fenders.

Meat
    ~Meat,
    Nice troll. What handlebars are those? Quite an aggressive backsweep!
    Been riding my troll nearly daily since november, and sure-footed is spot on. Miss the snow down here in the south...would love to be playing quasi-fat bike somewhere down the line.
    SKS- I've used them before, and found them to be rather hmmm finicky, but not enough so to dissuade me from using them again. Let me know how yours workout. Having done some more research, and looking (drooling) over Jones bikes, I think I'm going with PB Cascadias.
    Thanks for your input Meat!
    ~Baba

Expert Pushing SSer
    @Baba, thanks! They are the Surly Openbars, zero rise flavor.

If I were going wider tires I would have gotten the PBs just because the shop had them on hand. I had to order the SKSs and I must say, they were a PITA to install. I had one beer and a glass of wine to complete the task, and a break for dinner. The silver contrasts well with the black, and on today's commute, they were silent.

Meat
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    Meat,
    Had a pair of SKS on a relic singe-speed ralieigh. Total PITA to install, agreed. Once on though, were pretty solid...up until I snapped a crank arm on a climb. Even after the spill, the fenders were pretty durable.
    I've been asking around to see how the PB's compare, mostly because I was so hungover after installing the SKS }
    I do like those openbars. You throwing racks on?

Expert Pushing SSer
    I do like those openbars. You throwing racks on?
    They are comfy, not quite as upright as I thought they would be due to the curve out away from the stem and then back into the cockpit, if that makes sense (I am a visual person and don't have a way to provide a pic). The final hand position is just back from where they were with the Monkey Lites I had on the previous bike (same stem, slightly different geometry). Racktime Addit Rear rack has been installed. It is a work of craftsmanship. All of the personal touches have for the most part been taken care of, need to post a current pic of the final product. The all black with some silver makes it look like a cop bike.
    Tuff Schist

Expert Pushing SSer

Trailer questions

Been doing searches and have come up with some quick observations. I would like to run this by the Troll crowd though.

1) I have a BOB Yak trailer, so BOB nutz are going to be required to reduce the potential for the skewer getting tweaked and the wheel sliding. Yes?

2) I also have a Burly kid hauler. I placed the hitch adapter onto my skewer Sunday. Now upon research, sounds like a Tugnut or maybe even a Redline thing-a-ma-jiggy (sold in pair, 3/8-inch and not 14 mm) should be installed to also avoid slippage and pending doom on the skewer. Yes?

The rear dropouts are getting busy!

Thank you,

Meat
    Tuff Schist

iphilrive
    Been doing searches and have come up with some quick observations. I would like to run this by the Troll crowd though.

1) I have a BOB Yak trailer, so BOB nutz are going to be required to reduce the potential for the skewer getting tweaked and the wheel sliding. Yes?

2) I also have a Burly kid hauler. I placed the hitch adapter onto my skewer Sunday. Now upon research, sounds like a Tugnut or maybe even a Redline thing-a-ma-jiggy (sold in pair, 3/8-inch and not 14 mm) should be installed to also avoid slippage and pending doom on the skewer. Yes?

The rear dropouts are getting busy!

Thank you,

Meat

1- Yes

2. i have a dog trailer and i just used a rear derailleur bolt drilled out the black piece that connects to the trailer put a washer and just put it in the same hole as the bob nutz. if that makes sense?

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Been reading through this thread for the last couple of days,wanted to give you guys props for the sweet builds. I was contemplating the purchase of a Cross Check frame (to swap out parts from my Origin 8 CX'er and resell that frame) with my part of the tax refund,but this thread has single-handedly talked me into an 18" Troll (frame/fork only,not complete bike-I will be swapping parts off of my Xtracycle which rarely gets used after a move to here a year ago to build it up). I may be able to order as early as weekend after this one barring unforseens (fingers crossed,LOL ) after having just sold off some junk on eVilbay. Still hoping to do the CC frame/fork swap-out with the refund too,LOL,so both sets of fingers crossed,but for now the second build/frame is a "hope to",not a plan to ) I've always admired the looks/reviews of Surly Bikes and have owned some Surly parts/bits over the years,but these will be my first frames/forks/builds,pretty anxious and excited here

No real point to this post except to say hello and thanks for the inspiration,I guess...so,hello and thanks for the inspiration
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Expert Pushing SSer
    if that makes sense?
    Edit: I think the rubber bit rotates in the arm of the trailer, correct? Then the mech bolt washer bit would work.

@LHTrucker - I am coming off a Volpe as my main everyday bike. The Troll is overkill in a good way. So glad I went this route. I am sure I could have made a Disc Trucker work or a Straggler, but in the end my roots are in MTBing and the Troll is so capable for everything laid back townie to some nice xc-ish trails to wherever your GPS takes you. Do it, and welcome!
    Tuff Schist

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    @LHTrucker - Do it, and welcome!

I will,and thanks (BTW,I'm not LHT due to anything to do with Surly Bikes,I was LHT before they came out with the line...actually,before they came into existance maybe,LOL,drove trucks long haul for 13 years after the Army...maybe I should be getting royalties )

For the last few years,the O8 CX'er has been my do-it-all,I've used it for grocery runs,long road rides (long to me anyways),rail trails,camping,singletrack-then the Xtracycle came along and took over the utility runs and camping,and I've (almost) always had 1-2 mtn bikes (geared and SS)...will be nice to have such a versatile steed in the quiver,especially since I lost so much shed/workshop space last year (from 14'x26' to 10' x 12' with a loft),LOL! Being a pro-29"er kinda guy,I almost thought about an Ogre,but having read through both threads,the Troll sounds like a great fit for me. I'll know by Friday after next if I can squeeze the frame/fork order in this early or not (financially),and will be sure to post pics when it's here/started on
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll