Page 24 of 59 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy View Post
    Picked up my frame/fork from Powder Coat Finishes in Baltimore on Wednesday. Love the color! Exactly what a warty Troll should look like!

Left the headset cups in, partially because I didn't have a suitable tool (or big enough hammer) to remove them, and partially because I was curious how it'd look.

I suck at photos, BTW...
    Two months I had to wait for this! Refinished Troll Frame and the parts I ordered finally caught up to me:

(crappy BlackBerry pic)

I pulled most of the stock parts off the Surly-spec'd factory build and put them on my Xtracycle project. Actually I guess everything except the headset and frame are new or repurposed.

-20" Troll frame (from a complete) powdercoated at Powder Coat Finishes in Baltimore
    -Rock Shox Recon Silver TK (first squish-fork in 5 years, since my old HeadShok died)
    -70mm of spacers (might cut that down)
    -Race Face Evolve crankset, 32T (175mm)
    -SRAM X9 9-speed rear derailleur
    -SRAM PG-970 11-34 cassette
    -SRAM PC-991 chain
    -Ritchey Logic Comp headset (from the stock build)
    -Avid BB7 brakes, 185 front, 165 rear
    -Avid FR7 levers
    -SRAM X9 rear shifter
    -Swobo stem, 115mm from the parts bin
    -Surly Torsion Bar from my 1x1=11
    -Terry choad-hole saddle from the aforementioned Cannondale
    -Random 400mm seatpost (long legs)
    -Shimano Deore XT disc hubs
    -Sun Rhino Lite rims (wheelset from eBay)
    -PricePoint tubes
    -Maxxis Ardent 26x2.25 tires
    -Arundel Sport bottle cages (best around IMO)

First ride was yesterday morning, 100% humidity and about 82F. Less rain this past week than earlier in the spring, but still very muddy for the whole ride. The stuff coating the tires in the photo is nothing compared to the end of the ride. I would've taken an "after" photo but I was absolutely coated in golden-brown mud and didn't want to ruin my phone. (Don't worry, no actual trails were harmed, most of the riding was on logging roads.)

Amazingly, despite it being assembled hours before, I had no troubles. Not that I was expecting any of the frame or components, but I'm not exactly an expert mechanic. My riding partners did not fare so well; we lost a rear derailleur from a Trek and a tube on a Merida. The heaviest guy riding a Columbia department-store bike had no issues whatsoever!

Gearing seemed right, and even though the bars look a little high with the low-rise stem and flat bars it was comfortable. No real climbs (everything was within a few miles of the coast) and since I'd been out of the saddle for a while it worked out. I may chop off an inch of steerer or flip the stem as I get back in shape.

Maxxis Ardents might be heavy like backcountryeti said, but they did not cake up with mud the whole ride. If I ever get down to single-digit body fat I'll worry about the weight!

mtbr member
    I'm an all 29er guy, been riding nothing but big wheels for many years, and I know all about the Ogre... but for some reason, I keep thinking about the Troll. Maybe too many dreams about crossing Africa on a 26" wheeled adventure bike, or something.
    WTB: Niner SIR9, size L, first gen
    My blog about bikes and playgrounds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I'm an all 29er guy, been riding nothing but big wheels for many years, and I know all about the Ogre... but for some reason, I keep thinking about the Troll. Maybe too many dreams about crossing Africa on a 26" wheeled adventure bike, or something.
    as you saw, both wheels will fare fine with a troll
    I have no feedback on how it handles with 29r wheels yet, but I don't think it would be that bad. Eventually, I want to try it out. Now, if only I could find a good deal on a pair...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Could somebody please tell me how far it is from the top of the diagonal bracing tube to the top of the clamp on any size frame? Surly appear to measure frames to the top of the bracing tube, and I'm wondering if a seatpost I have might just be long enough with an 18" frame gven there might be another inch or so of tubing. I'll be gettng an 18" either way, but may or may not need a new post too; I need about 483mm to be safe, so only another 26mm above the bracing tube...

Also, what's the widest tyre and rim combo anyone has managed to fit onto the rear of a Troll? I'm considering getting a Pugsley fork - I doubt I can ride a fat bike with a 100mm BB without problems due to dodgy biomechanics from an old leg break, but would like to have a bit of a go with a fat front wheel before starting a minor engineering project. Thanks.
    Last edited by satanas; 05-14-2012 at 01:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Could somebody please tell me how far it is from the top of the diagonal bracing tube to the top of the clamp on any size frame? Surly appear to measure frames to the top of the bracing tube, and I'm wondering if a seatpost I have might just be long enough with an 18" frame gven there might be another inch or so of tubing. I'll be gettng an 18" either way, but may or may not need a new post too; I need about 483mm to be safe, so only another 26mm above the bracing tube...
    Dont really understand your measurements, you need a 483mm seatpost!? thats huge!! infact thats bigger than any seatpost i can think of other than those designed for tiny folding bikes. A note of caution, a long post will obviously put a lot of leverage on a frame so you need to be sure the post is properly inserted, and on frames with top-tube braces that typically means getting the post below the level of the top-tube. With an mega long exposed post you might need to be even more careful with the minimum insertion and go a bit longer again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i think he may be referring to 483 seat tube (guessing?)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    i think he may be referring to 483 seat tube (guessing?)
    Is there a dunce hat smiley?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    that'll do

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    483mm seat tube length it is. The effective length of the post I have is 225mm above the insertion line.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    483mm seat tube length it is. The effective length of the post I have is 225mm above the insertion line.
    Well despite my dunce episode most of what i said still stands. With the gussut re-inforced frames the min-insert markings on a post should be ignored in preference for insertion depth sufficient to pass below the top-tube interection.

So what you need is someone to measure 'BB to bottom of top-tube' and then add that distance to the length of your seatpost, giving you max seat height.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    There's quite a bit of post beneath the insertion mark (100mm+); the makers were conservative. Still, if it won't stick out far enugh it doesn't really matter how far below thetop tube it might insert, does it?

I'm not sure I'd be too keeen on inserting it only to the bottom of the top tube either. despite the reinforcement, I've seen quite a few frames snapped due to insufficient overlap - especially common when there was a seat tube extension above the top tube and people didn't check... I guess the easiest option is just to buy a nice new 400mm post, which will *definitely* be long enough!

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Do it!

Travelling around Africa for the better part of a year in a Landcruiser and meeting and talking to people touring (something I had really never been exposed to before) has led to me building a Troll for touring.

Seriously, do it

mtbr member

(crappy BlackBerry pic)
    Nice build! How do you like having suspension again? I am thinking of getting a suspension fork to switch out for longer, off road excursions. Powder looks good too!

T E A M L U N A

The troll rolls fine on 29.
    No problem with clearance running 2.10s.
    I toured locally (Brasil) on the 29" wheels and had no issues with performance.
    Going to Namibia with the wife and kid in Sept. may have to take the troll next time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-troll-29.jpg  

En la tierra de los ciegos, un hombre tuerto es rey.

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by T-roll View Post
    The troll rolls fine on 29.
    No problem with clearance running 2.10s.
    I toured locally (Brasil) on the 29" wheels and had no issues with performance.
    Going to Namibia with the wife and kid in Sept. may have to take the troll next time.
    I'm jealous. I spent a month or so in around Namibia last July.

What parts are you going to see? It's amazing.

mtbr member
    for some reason, I keep thinking about the Troll. Maybe too many dreams about crossing Africa on a 26" wheeled adventure bike, or something.
    You guys can fight to see who has the 2nd Troll in Africa.

T E A M L U N A
    Quote Originally Posted by mwv View Post
    I'm jealous. I spent a month or so in around Namibia last July.

What parts are you going to see? It's amazing.
    I have an old college buddy living Windhoek, so a few days there then off to Etosha, visits to the Himba and San, down the coast and into the western Kalahari.
    Going to visit some BEN shops as well.

Bicycling Empowerment Network (BEN) Namibia

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have an old college buddy living Windhoek, so a few days there then off to Etosha, visits to the Himba and San, down the coast and into the western Kalahari.
    Going to visit some BEN shops as well.

Bicycling Empowerment Network (BEN) Namibia
    Skakopmund is an interesting place. I never thought I'd enjoy riding ATVs on giant sand dunes so much.

Etosha was arguably the best of about 25 wildlife parks I went to around Africa.

Enjoy

T E A M L U N A
    You guys can fight to see who has the 2nd Troll in Africa.
    I have the 1st (only) in Brasil!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
    now that it's done, i'm selling the frame...too big for what I want to do with it. It's listed in the classifieds.
    How about a trade? I'm getting the feeling mine is shy bit too small for me

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm a diehard 29er guy myself, but I actually like the Troll better than the Karate Monkey. On a trail, I still prefer the big hoops, but for commuting and mixed use I like the little wheels better. I run 2.4 Holy Rollers on my Troll and I get lots of cushion for hitting potholes and they still do okay off road. Also, I have to carry the bike upstairs so having a slightly shorter overall length is nice when navigating a stairwell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    unfortunately you have just increased my apprehension on selecting the 18" frame

my last mountain bike, admittedly was a Trek 29er was a 17 1/2", it was fine. incidently it was the 2nd smallest on their frame scale.

as i'm in Australia and buying from USA it's not as easy just to return it for a different size.

i will be mainly using it for a commuter/tourer with occasional off road, i had planned on going the standard flat mtb bar but also off road drops, and switch around between the two, happy to have different stems for both applications.

happy to hear more input and others stories of their sizing
    What is your inseam?
    I am 173cm (5'8") too with 81.5cm (32") and rides perfectly on an 18 and 53/54 roadbike too.

At size 16" you might have a very long seatpost sticking out, be careful with that
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i just pulled the trigger from Cool Bike Parts and Accessories from the Coast of Maine since 1976 and got his last 18" frame

sick of waiting on Jensons (never returned 1 email)

happy with my choice as i decided to stick with flat bars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Re SteveJ: I think that you'll be fine with flat bars on an 18" frame. The question is whether the effective top tube might be too long with drop bars, at 596mm for the 18" versus 571mm for the 16" frame. Head tube length is only 10mm different, so probably doesn't matter much given the long steerer and the seat angle is the same for both, so the deciding factor will be the ETT. (The smaller triangle on the 16" will also limit what can be fitted in there a little.)

FWIW, I've got a reasonably long torso and long arms and would be looking at 105/80mm stems with drop bars and 140/115mm with flat bars for 16"/18". My seat height is 750mm from centre of BB to top of seat, and is achievable with either frame size, albeit with more post exposed on the smaller frame size.

What would be useful to know is the measurement from the centre of the BB to top of the seat clamp - for any one of the Troll frame sizes - so we could tell how much post is exposed - Surly don't list this in their specs. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to measure this on their bike and tell us what frame size Surly calls it?

mtbr member
    Mine measures at 725 (175mm crank) to 730mm (170mm crank) from BB center to the TOP of the saddle,
    That's approximately 230mm (9") seatpost exposed,
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Page 24 of 59 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast