Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 575 of 1418

Thread: Surly Troll

  1. #551
    mtbr member
    Reputation: backcountryeti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    491
    Pic from this morning's ride...



    Love the Troll. Best purchase ever.

  2. #552
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gossamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    44
    As done as it can be. The Troller. Honjo fenders were a *****. Surly Troll-imageuploadedbytapatalk1336440481.903751.jpg

  3. #553
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    42
    So I just got mine and it can fit 700x50mm Big Apples with ease...

  4. #554
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brh03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31
    Sweet ride sir!

  5. #555
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gossamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by brh03 View Post
    Sweet ride sir!
    gracias

  6. #556
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bike for days's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
    As done as it can be. The Troller. Honjo fenders were a *****. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336440481.903751.jpg 
Views:	1616 
Size:	350.4 KB 
ID:	694799
    Such a nice ride.

    I mentioned this before but I am totally stealing your paintjob once it's time and I have the $, but inverting the colors so it's mainly metallic green.

    What size tires are those? I want to run fat tires and those hammered fenders and was hoping 2.3 Big Apples or Franks would fit.... a lot of fenders don't list width clearance.

  7. #557
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gossamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by bike for days View Post
    Such a nice ride.

    I mentioned this before but I am totally stealing your paintjob once it's time and I have the $, but inverting the colors so it's mainly metallic green.

    What size tires are those? I want to run fat tires and those hammered fenders and was hoping 2.3 Big Apples or Franks would fit.... a lot of fenders don't list width clearance.
    Thanks...steal away...just be sure to post photos. The powdercoater had leftover and I was going to do the reverse color scheme on my pugsley...but decided against it.

    The tires are 700x38 Nimbus. They are a great tire thus far. Despite being a 100+ tire, I have found that running them around 85lbs gives a great ride. Having owned Hookworms, I've decided that 38-42 is really as wide as I need to go for all terrain.

    The Honjos were a bit tricky not only to mount but to adjust once mounted, Nothing really seems to fit like it should when you take a bike a make it something it wasn't supposed to be, know what I mean?

    In any case, it rides great. I'm not sold on the open bars. Still may go to a Woodchipper. There is something about drop bars that I love.

  8. #558
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimhazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by gyeswho View Post
    So I just got mine and it can fit 700x50mm Big Apples with ease...
    Rear too? How far back in the rear track ends did you have to put the axle?

  9. #559
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gossamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy View Post
    Rear too? How far back in the rear track ends did you have to put the axle?
    I can tell you that with mine, the rear is nearly all the way to the front. These frames can fit a huge tire in there...the only issue will be what kind of fenders you want. THat is where things will get tough.

  10. #560
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    341
    slimhazy,

    If you didn't want anything to fancy you could run the Planet Bike Cascadia 29er fenders like I did. There is a picture of them back on page 7 of this thread. I fitted the fenders with the biggest tire I was considering running at any time, then cut the extra stay length off with just a little excess left just in case. The 26er's just barely fit 26" x 2.1" tires and that wasn't big enough for my thoughts.

  11. #561
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gossamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    44

    frame too big?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
    As done as it can be. The Troller. Honjo fenders were a *****. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336440481.903751.jpg 
Views:	1616 
Size:	350.4 KB 
ID:	694799
    now that it's done, i'm selling the frame...too big for what I want to do with it. It's listed in the classifieds.

  12. #562
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
    now that it's done, i'm selling the frame...too big for what I want to do with it. It's listed in the classifieds.
    someone said mine looks a little too small. It's an 18": frame I have. How tall are you and what's your standover? I was expecting this to be a bit more stretched since I was actually considering going for a 16" due to the effective TT length.

  13. #563
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    42
    Sold one of Crosschecks in order to acquire this Thing. Funny how when I 1st saw Surly offered this, I was turned off, but with the announcement of the Ogre, that soon change my mind. After some research, I decided that the 26" crowd had a valid case in the standard tire selection being far greater than it's 29r counterpart along with having the ability to stuff some 29r wheels in it too. So what if the BB is higher and geo changes, at least it's better than using 26" wheels on a 29r frame.

    The ride is really different from what I used to, but it's not a bad thing. I guess I have to get re-acquainted with MTB geo since it's been a while since I've ridden one along with this being my 1st MTB I've built. I sure do enjoy going through almost anything now not giving two craps

    I'm actually a bit overwhelmed by how this bike was crafted because there are so many ways to set it up which will wonderfully challenge my OCD by playing Barbie with it. One thing I was worried about was the trailer hitch getting in the way of the disc caliper, but happy to say there's plenty of space for them to co-exist Had a little fun celebrating by painting the hitch and Cetma bar holders black to fit in a little better. I bought some 10mm bolts for the trailer holes to build a lil something for it eventually. I like the look of it so I'm gonna just call it FrankenTroll

    As you see, your wheelset options aren't limited to just 26" cuz it looks like almost any 29r tire will fit this frame as well. That's a 29 x 2.0" Apple in there







  14. #564
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    319
    just to be clear, that's a PAIR of 29er wheels with 2" big apples???

  15. #565
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    just to be clear, that's a PAIR of 29er wheels with 2" big apples???
    Sorry, only the 1st pic is of the 29er. wheel The other pics are 26 x 2.3

    I don't have an actual set of 29er wheels yet, but here are pics of how 2.0 Apples fit on 700c rims. Wheels is slightly back and still fits with room to spare if the wheel is slid further back
    \


  16. #566
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    319
    ok cool thanks for the clarification.

    I've pulled the pin on a 18" frameset, just waiting on them to come into stock at Jensons, i can't find anyone with them in stock AND will ship to Australia.
    I'm happy for the moment to gather my parts.

  17. #567
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    724
    ^ They are sold here in Oz too. :-) I'm also after an 18" frame, but still waiting on the ones with the extra braze-ons to become available. Still no ETA, so it's just as well I'm not in a hurry...

  18. #568
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    319
    the first place i got a quote from was cheeky transport, they wanted $800 + post! pretty pricey considering i can get one for $550 incl UPS shipping.
    unfortunately though may 22nd is the current EDD at jenson

  19. #569
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    724
    Yeah, unfortunately Oz wholesale prices tend to resemble US mail order prices at best. :-(

    I doubt Dirtworks or CT are being overly greedy, it's more the size of our market - or lack thereof...

  20. #570
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gossamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by gyeswho View Post
    someone said mine looks a little too small. It's an 18": frame I have. How tall are you and what's your standover? I was expecting this to be a bit more stretched since I was actually considering going for a 16" due to the effective TT length.
    6' and I like a 32.5 standover.

  21. #571
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,198
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    Anyone know what bars are on that mocked up Troll?

    As a sidenote:

    I wish Surly would stop putting brake posts on their frames...a disc-only CC would be awesome. And the 1x1 (and now the Troll) would look a lot cleaner when running 650b and 700c wheels and discs.


    My guess would be a Surly Open Bar.

    I like having brake posts on a frame like the Troll/Ogre. It gives you options. I agree it doesn't look as clean as a disc only setup, but then Surly would get complaints from the rim brake/touring crowd that they should add brake posts back.

    Ultimately putting them on is more functional and they can be removed with a grinder and the paint touched up if you really want to see them gone.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  22. #572
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    ok cool thanks for the clarification.

    I've pulled the pin on a 18" frameset, just waiting on them to come into stock at Jensons, i can't find anyone with them in stock AND will ship to Australia.
    I'm happy for the moment to gather my parts.
    This was actually the last 18" frame available at Universal Cycles. Seems all over it's sold out. Pretty crazy considering it's around 2yrs old now

  23. #573
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    724
    ^ I'm currently only holding off buying a Troll as I'm waiting for the extra bosses that are in the works, however, if Surly deleted the brake bosses I'd be very much less likely to get one. There are practcal, functional reasons to have the bosses (whch IIRC can be unscrewed anyway), and this ought IMHO to outweigh the poseurs' "need" for them to be gone. :-(

    Sur(e)ly the whole point of the Troll and the Ogre is to be as versatile as possible, not helped by removing everything which some might deem as extraneous. "What about people wanting to run it as a fixed gear, who never carry luggage or water bottles. The frames would be much cleaner with *NO* braze-ons at all, no provision for Rohloff hubs, trailers, etc, and a few grams lighter too, and maybe $10 cheaper. Surly ought to offer that option too." Not!

  24. #574
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    ^ I'm currently only holding off buying a Troll as I'm waiting for the extra bosses that are in the works, however, if Surly deleted the brake bosses I'd be very much less likely to get one. There are practcal, functional reasons to have the bosses (whch IIRC can be unscrewed anyway), and this ought IMHO to outweigh the poseurs' "need" for them to be gone. :-(

    Sur(e)ly the whole point of the Troll and the Ogre is to be as versatile as possible, not helped by removing everything which some might deem as extraneous. "What about people wanting to run it as a fixed gear, who never carry luggage or water bottles. The frames would be much cleaner with *NO* braze-ons at all, no provision for Rohloff hubs, trailers, etc, and a few grams lighter too, and maybe $10 cheaper. Surly ought to offer that option too." Not!
    I guess they never knew Surly came out with this bike called a 1x1

  25. #575
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    724
    ^ Yes but the 1x1 does have *some* bosses, so wouldn't suit the fixiots either...

Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •