Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Results 1,701 to 1,734 of 1734

Thread: Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    That is tight. Is the clearance better if the wheel is pulled back a bit? I thought the Troll was supposed to have no issues running 3.0 tires.
    I agree, wheel pulled back w/ monkey nuts should do it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiko View Post

Awesome! What's the frame size? S ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    My World Troller on a recent tour of Laos. Surly ET's set up tubeless with Stans Sealant and rim strip on Ryde Andra 30 rims, no flats in over 300 miles of road and off-road riding. Rohloff hub, Woodys Fenders custom width to cover the wide tires. Low end Shimano hydraulic brakes, Ergon GC1 BioKork grips on Jones loop bars, White Industries ENO chainring with bashguard, SKF square taper bottom bracket, Brooks B17 saddle, SON dynamo hub connected to Sinewave USB charger and KLite lamp, Tubus rack and Ortlieb panniers out back, Salsa anything cages and Revelate sweetroll up front. King Cage 'universal supports to allow a bottle cage mount on the underside of the downtube (actually jubilee clips with screw threads welded on).

Not the lightest of bikes but bombproof and goes anywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-20161208_124933.jpg  

Surly Troll-20161209_090234.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by azer89 View Post
    Awesome! What's the frame size? S ?
    Yes azer, small.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agster View Post
    My World Troller on a recent tour of Laos.
    cool setup, mate. safe travels.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I bought the new Troll a few weeks ago and have been having a blast mostly on single track and commutes. I will get a pic up soon.

So I have a few questions, the 2.5 et's have been great, what would a 2.8 or 3.0 add? Would the stock alex rims fit the knard?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by buttscratchr View Post
    I bought the new Troll a few weeks ago and have been having a blast mostly on single track and commutes. I will get a pic up soon.

So I have a few questions, the 2.5 et's have been great, what would a 2.8 or 3.0 add? Would the stock alex rims fit the knard?
    It'll add .5" or .3". Yes the knared will go on that rim, but check the "Tire Fit" page on their site to make sure. It will say what sizes rim you can use with which of their tires.

You will have to truncate your cassette. This means that you will have to take off the smallest in size cog from the cassette and put spacers behind the remainder of the cogs to push them out board. Also since you will have a new first position cog, you may need to get a new lock ring to fit that cog. And then readjust your high or low limit ( I forgot which one is which) so the chain will not fall in the gap behind the cassette.

I did this with a Big Dummy with Rabbit Holes and 2.8 Dirt Wizards. You will only loose your most difficult to pedal(smallest in size) cog from the back. I know that that there is some info some where on surlys site about the process. Your LBS should be able to do it for you easily, or they can help you figure it out and you can do it yourself, but it is a really easy task.

But my advise is definitely do it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

post pics! i have a troll from few years back and love it like anything, except now you're making me jealous that the 2017 fork isn't suspension corrected! i never knew why they did that in the first place, nobody's running suspension on the ****ing troll...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Great info. smporter...I'm having a hard time finding the mm on the Alex Adventurer 2 36h. the Knard 26+ will go on 50mm http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downlo...o_Chart_v2.pdf
    Since I'm a noob to biking, I think I will ask my lbs to do it for it me.

bed...I've attached a photo. Its an extra small, well because I'm short. I had a Mazama before and it just didn't feel right. After getting the Troll, I know why, I needed a bike that fits.

Plan is to do off road across Nevada this year along with some single tracks in Tahoe. Next year is the Great Divide. Then the Pacific Coast or Trans AM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Troll-20170607_180155.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Under the "tire instructions" section of surly's website it says:

• Plus tires (2.7–3.0 ̋)—Designed for use with rims 35–65mm wide

I googled " Alex Adventure 2 Rim" and they are 26.2 mm wide so according to Surly's "Tire Instructions", it won't work.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Meh, i wouldnt get too hung up on all those numbers. The knard will be fine on those rims, it'll just have a bit more sidewall bulge than if it were on a wider rim.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    That may be the coolest bike I have ever seen! Nicely appointed!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Well dang, I ordered a couple of rims (https://bikeparts.com/BPC397885/surl...6-x-50mm-black) at what I think is good price after I had a few drinks. Now the rims are coming and forgot why...Maybe because I saw a wheel set with dw tires for a good price on ebay but they sold before I hit the buy now. Anyways, i never built wheels before and now I need everything.

Good (Great) suggestions are needed for quality affordable hubs and tires for single track (loose rock, sand in nevada). Plan was for (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...RMV8EPMU&psc=1) and (https://www.modernbike.com/surly-dir...75-120tpi-tire) and try to build myself then take to lbs to true it.

I think I need to make a rule: Don't drink and shop. Shouldn't that be one of the questions when ordering online?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I may start a separate thread, but I'm interested in talking to anyone who would like to swap frames.

I have: M, black, suspension corrected frame from 2014/5 (not sure when it was manufactured). Pretty good condition with some parts of stickers rubbed off and otherwise normal commuter wear.

I want: M, any color, non-suspension corrected frame.

Looking for a straight frame/hs/fork only swap.

I live in WA, but am willing to ship.

Edit to add: Yes, I have and am looking for a Troll frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Great info. smporter...I'm having a hard time finding the mm on the Alex Adventurer 2 36h. the Knard 26+ will go on 50mm http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downlo...o_Chart_v2.pdf
    Since I'm a noob to biking, I think I will ask my lbs to do it for it me.

bed...I've attached a photo. Its an extra small, well because I'm short. I had a Mazama before and it just didn't feel right. After getting the Troll, I know why, I needed a bike that fits.

Plan is to do off road across Nevada this year along with some single tracks in Tahoe. Next year is the Great Divide. Then the Pacific Coast or Trans AM.
    Nice bike, how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Well dang, I ordered a couple of rims (https://bikeparts.com/BPC397885/surl...6-x-50mm-black) at what I think is good price after I had a few drinks. Now the rims are coming and forgot why...Maybe because I saw a wheel set with dw tires for a good price on ebay but they sold before I hit the buy now. Anyways, i never built wheels before and now I need everything.

I think I need to make a rule: Don't drink and shop. Shouldn't that be one of the questions when ordering online?
    Shoot, that's a good deal. I'm sober and it's tempting me, and I have no use for those rims. And still I keep looking at them. I got a set of WTB Scraper i40 rims for about twice that. I like the rims, but right up until I got them, I was looking at Rabbit Holes. If they had been that price, I would have grabbed them.

I would throw your ETs on them and see if it makes a difference to you. I run my ETs on my i40s and like them a lot. I've never tried them on anything narrower. I got those rims thinking I might like something that could handle the range from my ETs up to a 3" tire, but the kind of riding I do, even the ETs are usually overkill. Fun, though, to wander on and off the pavement and not really care. Still might get a Knard/DW combo running at some point, though.

Good luck on your first wheel build. The Wheels and Tires section has lots of good help. A good truing stand can make a difference in confidence and ease of build if not in the actual result. Same with the tensionmeter. I built plenty of wheels without one, but having it gave me a little more confidence.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Suddenly, out of nowhere i started a troll build. Doh!
    I mean, i had a crankset, casette, pedals, saddle and a triggershifter.

I hope it will get me out on the gravel roads touring

EDIT: First build question, rim width.
    The Troll can fit 3" tires, and i would like to have that option open. I believe a 30mm is minimum for good performance on 3" tires.
    But then again, the rides i will do on this with fat tires would not be extreme by any means. Thinking of some packed beachcruising, maybe some trails with fully packed bike.
    Maybe a 25mm rim would work?

My plan was to run 2.0-2.2 tires on gravel, but these small tires on a 30mm rim would not be ideal either!
    Last edited by Skorp; 08-01-2017 at 09:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorp View Post

The Troll can fit 3" tires, and i would like to have that option open. I believe a 30mm is minimum for good performance on 3" tires.
    But then again, the rides i will do on this with fat tires would not be extreme by any means. Thinking of some packed beachcruising, maybe some trails with fully packed bike.

My plan was to run 2.0-2.2 tires on gravel, but these small tires on a 30mm rim would not be ideal either!
    I built mine up with i26 rims and have been running 2.15" tires. It's been very comfortable. It doesn't seem like an extra 4mm would cause any issues with those tires, but who knows? I really mostly commute on them on pavement with short, hard-pack sections and occasional cutting corners over some grass. 2.15" has been the perfect size for me because it's also just narrow enough to fit in the bike rack on the bus, which I sometimes use on my commute. I also noticed that Amtrak says that their bike racks accommodate tires up to 2", but no one has complained about my 2.15" tires.

But I also wanted the option going as fat as possible. I thought about a rim that would handle everything, but, like you, I was concerned that a rim that could handle 3" wouldn't be great for 2", so I got a 2nd rim, an i40mm Scraper. Right now it's running ETs (2.5"), but I feel like I could probably go 3" without issue. I just haven't tried it yet. But a 40mm rim with ETs feels great. They have more road buzz than the Almotions I usually run, but I would still probably keep them on all the time if not for the bus issue.

So I would say: 2nd wheelset. Unless you don't have any real reason to run a 2" tire, in which case I would say get a wide rim, somewhere in the 40-60mm range, and embrace the Fat. Just get some smoother tires for the pavement riding.

For me, enjoy the fact that this can take a variety of wheels, so I plan on building up even more wheelsets. I'd like to do a 650B set for mostly pavement/gravel that I could also use on the imaginary Straggle I'd like to buy. And I want to see if I can push the 3" limit by building up a wide set of 24" wheels. That's down the road, though.

Rednose/Greenback

WTB i35 Asym/ ETs combo would crush on the troll, imho.

I just snagged a 2017 Troll (large) for my wife two days ago. The stock Alex wheels, while solid, are not tubeless ready however. The ETs are tubless ready and are just excellent tires in my view.

I ride a pugsly with 29" i35 Asym/ ETs, setup tubeless. Rider and gear runs ~ 270lbs. I ride around 21psi most of the time. After 300+ miles and zero issues, I'm seriously considering the same wheels for the troll. Given her current wheels are brand new however, there is clearly no rush. Yet the desire to get her set up tubeless is strong.

I'm stoked the spousal unit now has a quality ride of her own. While some minor ergo changes are in order (shorter stem, better grips and maybe a saddle change), this Troll looks perfect for her. That said, I will still get her on tubeless rims sooner than later. But the ETs will definitely stay on the troll. And the pugs too for that matter.

Surly Troll-2017-07-31-12.28.21.jpg
    38° 54' -77° 15

mtbr member
    May 2015

Rhynolite XL would fit right in the sweet spot you're looking for. 29.2 external width, 23.5 internal. Not the lightest, but absolutely bombproof. I've got ~30,000 on a set of the original RL's and XT hubs that ive only had in the truing stands once, and more for peace of mind than necessity. Ive also had the DW's on this wheelset for the winter and they worked just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the great answers guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
    So I would say: 2nd wheelset. Unless you don't have any real reason to run a 2" tire, in which case I would say get a wide rim, somewhere in the 40-60mm range, and embrace the Fat. Just get some smoother tires for the pavement riding.
    Well, luckily i don't have the bus rack problem! The local bus/metro is encouraging bikes, they are free of charge except in rush. Just roll them on and lean it somewhere. When it comes to longer distances trains and busses have cargo holds for bikes and strollers etc here. Trains have some bikeracks that hang your bike from the roof, but most modern mtb's is too long anyways and just get stored on two wheels. Getting a packed troll onto that would be a real challenge.

2nd wheelset means extra cost! I will easily offer some fat performance to save that money.

Quote Originally Posted by apbtlvr View Post

I just snagged a 2017 Troll (large) for my wife two days ago. The stock Alex wheels, while solid, are not tubeless ready however. The ETs are tubless ready and are just excellent tires in my view.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-07-31 12.28.21.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	1149899
    We'll see if i get some ET's after a while. At first i will try out some Maxxis DTH tires from my dirt/pumptrack/4X bike. Maxxis lists them as urban tires, so i guess they work ok on tarmac.

The I35's might be too wide for me though? I'm afraid to square off my smaller tires..

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_S_08 View Post
    Rhynolite XL would fit right in the sweet spot you're looking for. 29.2 external width, 23.5 internal. Not the lightest, but absolutely bombproof. I've got ~30,000 on a set of the original RL's and XT hubs that ive only had in the truing stands once, and more for peace of mind than necessity. Ive also had the DW's on this wheelset for the winter and they worked just fine.
    Rhynolite XL rims looks the part! Love the design. They are great rims, had a set on a Kona Coiler back in the days. But 23.5 is on the narrower side again!
    I'm a hard guy to please.

I think i want 25-30mm rims. My favourite so far would be Stans Arch or Flow, but they are abit too expensive. I will look and see if i can get something i like.

mtbr member
    We'll see if i get some ET's after a while. At first i will try out some Maxxis DTH tires from my dirt/pumptrack/4X bike. Maxxis lists them as urban tires, so i guess they work ok on tarmac.

The I35's might be too wide for me though? I'm afraid to square off my smaller tires..

Rhynolite XL rims looks the part! Love the design. They are great rims, had a set on a Kona Coiler back in the days. But 23.5 is on the narrower side again!
    I'm a hard guy to please.

I think i want 25-30mm rims. My favourite so far would be Stans Arch or Flow, but they are abit too expensive. I will look and see if i can get something i like.
    My rims have an internal width of 26, I think. I got them from Pacenti, but they were burning off their old stock and don't seem to offering it any more. Might still be some floating around somewhere, though. But I feel like my 2.15" Almotions balloon out plenty on the i26 rims. I can't quite imagine putting a 3" tire on those rims. I've been tempted to put he ETs on there, just to see how they would look/feel, but they feel great on the Scrapers, so I haven't really felt like I needed to experiment. But looking at my two tires, I think I'd be more comfortable putting the Almotions on the 40mm rim than I would the ETs on the 26mm. Although that doesn't look like it'd be ideal either. But, since the Almotions don't have much tread (much like the DTHs), I don't think I'd be too concerned about squaring them off. Might be interesting to try some day. I certainly feel like I could put the Almotions on a wider rim than the 26mm. I just don't know how wide.

But if my goal was to start with a tire in the 2 inch range with the hope of going up to 3 inches in the future, I'd want the widest rims I could reasonably use with the DTHs. I'd want to see if anyone has run that size on 35mm rim, and see what their experiences were, because it seems like that might be the sweet spot.

2.15" Almotions vs 2.5" ETs on 26mm and 40mm rims.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Those ET's look pretty big!
    I guess the casing is bigger than a 2.5 trail tire, as the size is measured over the knobs.

My trials bike has a 38mm front rim, The 2.2 Raceking tyre i use on that is pretty square And those are pretty big for 2.2's

https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/26_inch...518p13374.html

I see trialtech has come out with a new front rim, 31mm wide. Maybe i should try. Still abit too expensive though!
    I had trials rim on my AM-trail bike back in the day. They are good at taking hits straight on, but any side load, like in a berm, they buckle pretty easy..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    All the stuff has been ordered.
    Exited to build in a three weeks time.

Rough spec:
    Troll Maroon 20"
    Surly rear rack and 8 Pack front rack
    Stan's Flow mk3 on DtSwiss 370 hubs (silly to have a dh wheelset on a Troll)
    WTB Ranger 3" and Maxxis DTH 2.1" tires
    Sram GX drivetrain
    Middleburn RS8 crankset
    Absolute Black 34t oval chainring, 22, 24 or 26t bailout gear on the crank. Manual shifting.
    Hayes MX-5 brakes
    Tektro RL520 brakelevers
    Shimano MX80 pedals
    Pro LT seatpost and stem
    CaneCreek 10 series headset
    Selle Anatomica saddle and handlebartape.
    Salsa WoodChipper handlebar ( Not sure about this one! )
    Last edited by Skorp; 08-06-2017 at 09:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by apbtlvr View Post

I ride a pugsly with 29" i35 Asym/ ETs, setup tubeless. Rider and gear runs ~ 270lbs. I ride around 21psi most of the time. After 300+ miles and zero issues, I'm seriously considering the same wheels for the troll. Given her current wheels are brand new however, there is clearly no rush. Yet the desire to get her set up tubeless is strong.

I'm stoked the spousal unit now has a quality ride of her own. While some minor ergo changes are in order (shorter stem, better grips and maybe a saddle change), this Troll looks perfect for her. That said, I will still get her on tubeless rims sooner than later. But the ETs will definitely stay on the troll. And the pugs too for that matter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-07-31 12.28.21.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	1149899
    Thanks for posting the photo of the Large Troll! I've been very curious as to it's overall proportions. I love my Karate Monkey but I want to add a 26" bike to my stable and the new Troll might just fit the bill.

mtbr member
    Little bit here about the new Troll color: Surly ECR goes dual wheel size - BIKEPACKING.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Only bummer thing that would keep me from pulling the trigger on the troll/ogre frames is the inability to run a through axle fork. I can't have matching hubs. Can't buy wheelsets. What is the point of the rear spacing with out the ability to do the same on the front. And because it is not sus corrected, it isn't very easy to change out forks to get the right front end spacing. . . I really wish they would have kept the old frame design. . . meh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    i've been thinking of upgrading my 2017 troll, to either a velocity dually+ knard or velocity blunt 35 +knard , have anyone tried this ? is there anything i need to look out for ?

thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    Only bummer thing that would keep me from pulling the trigger on the troll/ogre frames is the inability to run a through axle fork. I can't have matching hubs. Can't buy wheelsets. What is the point of the rear spacing with out the ability to do the same on the front. And because it is not sus corrected, it isn't very easy to change out forks to get the right front end spacing. . . I really wish they would have kept the old frame design. . . meh.
    Would a thru axle qr adapter work for the fork? I ask because I'm in that situation now?

mtbr member
    Would a thru axle qr adapter work for the fork? I ask because I'm in that situation now?
    I built my front wheel thinking I might eventually get a thru-axle, suspension fork. Two years in, and I haven't gotten a new fork yet, so the wheel has been used exclusively with an adapter. It's no longer my primary wheel, but it's never been a problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
    I built my front wheel thinking I might eventually get a thru-axle, suspension fork. Two years in, and I haven't gotten a new fork yet, so the wheel has been used exclusively with an adapter. It's no longer my primary wheel, but it's never been a problem.
    Thanks again. Appreciate your advice and experience throughout this forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

The Troll Pizza Bike

Holds 4 large or 3 x-large pies. One must have priorities when it comes to choosing equipment for a bike.

Surly Troll
    by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

Wald pizza delivery rack

Surly Troll
    by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Two stems?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    All the stuff has been ordered.
    Exited to build in a three weeks time.

Rough spec:
    Troll Maroon 20"
    Surly rear rack and 8 Pack front rack
    Stan's Flow mk3 on DtSwiss 370 hubs (silly to have a dh wheelset on a Troll)
    WTB Ranger 3" and Maxxis DTH 2.1" tires
    Sram GX drivetrain
    Middleburn RS8 crankset
    Absolute Black 34t oval chainring, 22, 24 or 26t bailout gear on the crank. Manual shifting.
    Hayes MX-5 brakes
    Tektro RL520 brakelevers
    Shimano MX80 pedals
    Pro LT seatpost and stem
    CaneCreek 10 series headset
    Selle Anatomica saddle and handlebartape.
    Salsa WoodChipper handlebar ( Not sure about this one! )

OK, so i built this up some months ago. i actually only have one picture of it.. without fenders or bartape.

The woodchipper handlebar has a nice shape to it, but the bike is just way too big when i use this handlebar. It would be good with a 18" frame. I will change to a more normal handlebar, with alot of backsweep.

Also i think i bodged the headset instalation, as i cant get the CaneCreek 10 heaset to run smooth wich is making the bike really twitchy and scary to ride..
    I will get the headtube reamed and fit an old chinese headset i found in my parts bin.

Will post some better pictures when i get the bike up and running properly

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Members who have read this thread: 134