Surly Troll

Printable View

• 03-10-2017
    frankiko
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    That is tight. Is the clearance better if the wheel is pulled back a bit? I thought the Troll was supposed to have no issues running 3.0 tires.

I agree, wheel pulled back w/ monkey nuts should do it.
  • 03-10-2017
    azer89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frankiko View Post

Awesome! What's the frame size? S ?
  • 03-10-2017
    Agster
    2 Attachment(s)
    My World Troller on a recent tour of Laos. Surly ET's set up tubeless with Stans Sealant and rim strip on Ryde Andra 30 rims, no flats in over 300 miles of road and off-road riding. Rohloff hub, Woodys Fenders custom width to cover the wide tires. Low end Shimano hydraulic brakes, Ergon GC1 BioKork grips on Jones loop bars, White Industries ENO chainring with bashguard, SKF square taper bottom bracket, Brooks B17 saddle, SON dynamo hub connected to Sinewave USB charger and KLite lamp, Tubus rack and Ortlieb panniers out back, Salsa anything cages and Revelate sweetroll up front. King Cage 'universal supports to allow a bottle cage mount on the underside of the downtube (actually jubilee clips with screw threads welded on).

Not the lightest of bikes but bombproof and goes anywhere.
  • 03-10-2017
    frankiko
    Quote:

Originally Posted by azer89 View Post
    Awesome! What's the frame size? S ?

Yes azer, small.
  • 03-10-2017
    kevrider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Agster View Post
    My World Troller on a recent tour of Laos.

cool setup, mate. safe travels.
  • 06-06-2017
    buttscratchr
    I bought the new Troll a few weeks ago and have been having a blast mostly on single track and commutes. I will get a pic up soon.

So I have a few questions, the 2.5 et's have been great, what would a 2.8 or 3.0 add? Would the stock alex rims fit the knard?
  • 06-06-2017
    smporter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buttscratchr View Post
    I bought the new Troll a few weeks ago and have been having a blast mostly on single track and commutes. I will get a pic up soon.

So I have a few questions, the 2.5 et's have been great, what would a 2.8 or 3.0 add? Would the stock alex rims fit the knard?

It'll add .5" or .3". Yes the knared will go on that rim, but check the "Tire Fit" page on their site to make sure. It will say what sizes rim you can use with which of their tires.

You will have to truncate your cassette. This means that you will have to take off the smallest in size cog from the cassette and put spacers behind the remainder of the cogs to push them out board. Also since you will have a new first position cog, you may need to get a new lock ring to fit that cog. And then readjust your high or low limit ( I forgot which one is which) so the chain will not fall in the gap behind the cassette.

I did this with a Big Dummy with Rabbit Holes and 2.8 Dirt Wizards. You will only loose your most difficult to pedal(smallest in size) cog from the back. I know that that there is some info some where on surlys site about the process. Your LBS should be able to do it for you easily, or they can help you figure it out and you can do it yourself, but it is a really easy task.

But my advise is definitely do it!
  • 06-07-2017
    bedstriker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buttscratchr View Post

post pics! i have a troll from few years back and love it like anything, except now you're making me jealous that the 2017 fork isn't suspension corrected! i never knew why they did that in the first place, nobody's running suspension on the ****ing troll...
  • 06-07-2017
    buttscratchr
    1 Attachment(s)
    Great info. smporter...I'm having a hard time finding the mm on the Alex Adventurer 2 36h. the Knard 26+ will go on 50mm http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downlo...o_Chart_v2.pdf
    Since I'm a noob to biking, I think I will ask my lbs to do it for it me.

bed...I've attached a photo. Its an extra small, well because I'm short. I had a Mazama before and it just didn't feel right. After getting the Troll, I know why, I needed a bike that fits.

Plan is to do off road across Nevada this year along with some single tracks in Tahoe. Next year is the Great Divide. Then the Pacific Coast or Trans AM.
  • 06-07-2017
    smporter
    Under the "tire instructions" section of surly's website it says:

• Plus tires (2.7–3.0 ̋)—Designed for use with rims 35–65mm wide

I googled " Alex Adventure 2 Rim" and they are 26.2 mm wide so according to Surly's "Tire Instructions", it won't work.
  • 06-08-2017
    kevin_S_08
    Meh, i wouldnt get too hung up on all those numbers. The knard will be fine on those rims, it'll just have a bit more sidewall bulge than if it were on a wider rim.
  • 06-10-2017
    IdahoTrollGuy
    That may be the coolest bike I have ever seen! Nicely appointed!
  • 07-05-2017
    buttscratchr
    Well dang, I ordered a couple of rims (https://bikeparts.com/BPC397885/surl...6-x-50mm-black) at what I think is good price after I had a few drinks. Now the rims are coming and forgot why...Maybe because I saw a wheel set with dw tires for a good price on ebay but they sold before I hit the buy now. Anyways, i never built wheels before and now I need everything.

Good (Great) suggestions are needed for quality affordable hubs and tires for single track (loose rock, sand in nevada). Plan was for (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...RMV8EPMU&psc=1) and (https://www.modernbike.com/surly-dir...75-120tpi-tire) and try to build myself then take to lbs to true it.

I think I need to make a rule: Don't drink and shop. Shouldn't that be one of the questions when ordering online?