mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Surly troll with 29er wheels? Who's done it, opinions and feedback sought

Folks
    So Iím trying to expand my options on my Troll, I see a few people have run 29er wheels, how did it go? Is anyone running 29er wheels full time? How does it handle?

I have a squishy fork with my Troll but wanting to run Rigid with 29 also, I wonít be wanting to run fenders or anything so curious who else does it and their thoughts, problems theyíve run into etc and how it handles on or off road.

Also tyre choices/sizes would be great too.

Did you need tug nuts? (just one on the drive side?)

Cheers
    Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes

I run 29er Snowcats (44mm) w/ Nanos on my 1x1 so they should fit on the Troll as well, but after 7 yrs of running it like this I'm not a big fan of putting 29" wheels on a frame designed for 26" wheels. Just because they fit doesn't mean you should put them on. It throws the geo off enough that it feels top-heavy although it does sharpen the handling over a 29er bike.

Sorry to confuse but the short answer is Yes, they'll fit, but I don't recommend. I would recommend 650b's on the Troll to get the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    not what i wanted to hear but it's what i'm after, thanks.

love to hear more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Not from experience but the main problem is that your BB will be around 1.5" higher than it should be. Depending on your riding this may not be a really big deal, but it's significant.

Selling the Troll frameset for an Ogre frameset would only be a couple hundred bucks upgrade...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    yeah i've thought of that, but it's not just the frame, it's the wheels and also the forks, starts to add up.

i'm not a full on mountain bike rider so perhaps i'm just better off staying with 26".

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Did it on a 1x1. Not a Troll , but close. Rode it for a year. Now the rims/wheel is hanging in the garage.

I am building some (well, my LBS is) some 650b wheels for the 1x1. I think it will be more suited for the frame and the way I ride.

wanna buy some rims, tires, wheel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    yeah i've thought of that, but it's not just the frame, it's the wheels and also the forks, starts to add up.

i'm not a full on mountain bike rider so perhaps i'm just better off staying with 26".
    You aren't going to go anywhere on a 29er Troll that you aren't going on a 26er Troll. Since you are compromising the bike's design by stuff bigger wheels in there it seems pointless to me.

Not sure what tires you are running now, but some bigger volume rubber will increase you wheel's size, add traction and comfort.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I run 700x37 Marathon Supremes and 700x28 Gatorskins on Mavic Speedcity wheels for commuting and road riding, and 26x2.35 Big Apples for offroad. The overall wheel size of the 26" BAs and 700x28 Gatorskins is almost identical, such that I don't even need to adjust the computer. Don't see any reason to go with so called 29" tires, even if they fit. Extra weight for no benefit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

good either way

I agree you can just put some fatter 26er rubber on the Troll and get a nice compromise over 29ers wheels/tires if you're into hard mtn biking, but if your commuting on hard surfaces then just put 26er slicks on your existing wheels. Much cheaper...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks for the input fellas, i have changed my tact a bit, i also have a cross check so i've got my commute sorted, i've taken my racks and fenders off the troll, put on a reba front fork and some 2.4 nobby nics, that should do nicely for my off-road needs
    if i want to off/road touring or bike packing with it, on with the 2" marathon extremes and rack or frame bags etc

cheers
    Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

smart plan

That all sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    got some gear from revelate designs on their way and also a custom frame bag is in the works.

i've been bitten by the bike packing bug, i think it's terminal.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice!!!

That'll work! Good luck with your terminal bug.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ^that's looking really good.

mtbr member
    Great looking troll, bet it rides just as good as it looks! Have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    not going against any u guys putting different tire sizes on but the troll feels awesome on 26inch tires going down some mountains and a fork up front and the rear axle pushed forward all the way. it just feels right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Exactly as it was designed to do!

As I said I've stopped putting 29ers on a frame designed for 26. They fit, but the bike just isn't quite right. Stick w/ 26ers on a frame designed for them to get the best of that frame.

P