mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Surly Torsion vs. Titec H-bar for Big Dummy

I know a lot of you are running the Titec H-bar on your BDs. Any issues w/ shifter placement? I'm thinking of going the Thumbies route but I'm wondering about compatibility/ergonomics. I have the torsion bar on my monkey so I'm now leaning towards this option. Or should I nix the thumbie idea & go w/ traditional triggers?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a J bar and thumbies and am very happy. It is very ergonomic.

mtbr member
    Go with whatever bar you find comfortable. I've got 3 different H-bar setups and they all work fine. I find the multiple hand positions on the H-bar worth a bit of fiddling with how my controls are setup. If you don't think you'll need/want the variety the Torsion bar will be easier to setup.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm a big fan of the On One Mary bars.

mtbr member
    I've used both the Torsion Bar and the H-Bar on my Dummy. I like the H-bar better, but not by much. The Torsion Bar is still a great bar. I stole the H-Bar from the Dummy to use on my K Monkey, so now I have a Nitto Dove bar from Rivendell on the BD. I'm getting a Surly Open Bar for the Dummy as soon as their available. BTW, I use cheap-o thumbies on everything.

The Brutally Handsome
    Funny, this topic came up in the cargo bike forum yesterday!

I have h bars and had serious issues trying to run trigger shifters so I went with top mounted XT thumbies, which works very well.

However, I'm really not digging the h bars like I thought I would. What seems like an ergonomic position is actually very hard on my wrists. Riding starts out comfy and nice, but hurts after twenty minutes. Sometimes my wrists are really sore after only a half hour. I know everyone is built differently, but personally, I'm considering a switch to some trekking bars.

Here's a couple pictures of my setup:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Torsion vs. Titec H-bar for Big Dummy-titec-1.jpg  

Surly Torsion vs. Titec H-bar for Big Dummy-titec-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've cound the Hbar to be the most comfortable bar I've ever used with Ergon grips. I rode seven days of RAGBRAI last year with them, including a century.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I forgot about the On-Ones. I'm so used to the trad. mtn bike bar set-up that I'm wondering if the H-bar will be too radical a fit. Final decisions for the build...

mtbr member
    Make sure you look at the J-Bar if by "mtn bike bar" you mean flat bar. I went with the J-Bar to try for more options and upright positioning with my dummy. Since I still have under 20 miles on it, I'll have to reserve my opinion, but so far I am happy with it, except for rohloff shifter placement issues.

I'm considering doing some filework on the brake lever clamps as well, to get them a little lower, but I'm going to give the whole thing more time first.

Lighten up.
    Or go Jones. His Loop H-Bar is worth the price. Now to figure out how to buy another for my Pugsley...

{ Maybe Jeff will throw me a discount for all the promoting I've done... }