Page 1 of 68 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly Straggler

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Surly Straggler

Holy crap, this is what I've been waiting for. Basically a disc Cross Check? The rear dropouts are nutty!

This will replace my CC, 100%

Surly Straggler-surly-bikes-saddle-drive-7.jpg

Surly Straggler-999987_498717473544604_2074201417_n.jpgSurly Straggler-img_1114.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Straggler-surly-bikes-saddle-drive-12.jpg  

mtbr member
    Needs two mounting points on the rear for rack and fenders, but other than that looks pretty awesome.

EDIT: NVM, I see in this pic that there is another point on the seat stay further up. Nice!

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yep, this bike is looking damm near perfect!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That subdued green is so much nicer than the sparkle pony purple.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    (Jumping up and down) I want sparkle pony, I want sparkle pony!

Anyway, it will be a good combo with my purple Troll.

mtbr member
    I like the reported taller head tube, but otherwise I have no interest in this over my CC. The CC's dropouts allow easy single speed gear changes, without adjusting the brakes, which look like a big PITA with this frame. Then again, I don't really see the need for discs outside wet or snowy mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If I was looking for a brand new bike, I might consider this... the biggest reason for the disc brakes to me has nothing to do with breaking power... but it's easier to put the wheel in and out with discs than my Tektro 720 canti's. I need to loosten the straddle wire or deflate my tire to remove the wheel with my breaks. They work well, but it's a bit of a hassle. But not enough reason to replace it. Besides, I LOVE my Blark Due CC. The CC has had some of Surly's best colors over the years.

Now the new blue Pugs I have my eye on..... or maybe a champagne moonlander.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I already said this in a different thread, but its worth repeating. The Cross Check is perfect just the way it is. So I don't really see what this bike brings, except that it sates the disc-crazy masses that have been bugging Surly for a bike like this for years. Admittedly, it is a pretty bike and I'd totally get one over the Vaya or the Disc Trucker, if I ever need a heavier and more complicated braking system than one I currently have. And if it gets more people on Surly's, I'm all for it.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    I already said this in a different thread, but its worth repeating. The Cross Check is perfect just the way it is. So I don't really see what this bike brings, except that it sates the disc-crazy masses that have been bugging Surly for a bike like this for years. Admittedly, it is a pretty bike and I'd totally get one over the Vaya or the Disc Trucker, if I ever need a heavier and more complicated braking system than one I currently have. And if it gets more people on Surly's, I'm all for it.
    Yeah but... IT'S PINK AND SPARKLY!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Gonna be near impossible for me to call this the Straggler instead of the disc Cross Check!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I already said this in a different thread, but its worth repeating. The Cross Check is perfect just the way it is.
    If you don't need Discs so the rest of the world doesn't need them too?
    This a thread *for* and not *against* the Straggler. Go home and stroke your Cross Check.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm excited to see a geometry chart. I loved my old CC but it never fit me quite right. Now that I know what I'm looking for, if this is within my ranges, I might be interested. A forth Surly in my garage wouldn't trigger any sort of "intervention" issues would it?
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    I'm excited to see a geometry chart. I loved my old CC but it never fit me quite right. Now that I know what I'm looking for, if this is within my ranges, I might be interested. A forth Surly in my garage wouldn't trigger any sort of "intervention" issues would it?
    X2 on being super curious a out how the straggler geo compares to the CC. Really hoping for that longer head tube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    A forth Surly in my garage wouldn't trigger any sort of "intervention" issues would it?
    The desire to own 4 or more Surlys is perfectly normal, I wouldn’t worry about it.

never summer
    Its a good option for those of us in wet climates where disc brakes shine...don't get me wrong some salamander kool-stop pads work pretty good. Plus you can't beat the simplicity. I still havent replaced my CC....it's in the basement bent in half from an F-250. If I don't pick up a Straggler it will be that dark grey CC with some Paul canti's and dingle speed.

Nope, its a good whole number so all bikes have a stable mate.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    If you don't need Discs so the rest of the world doesn't need them too?
    This a thread *for* and not *against* the Straggler. Go home and stroke your Cross Check.
    Dude, relax. I never said I was against the Straggler. In fact, I recall writing that it is a pretty bike and I'm all for it if it gets more people on Surly's. I know why people like disc brakes. I just think they are overestimated, especially on non-mountain bikes. But that's a discussion for a different thread. A Disc Check just strikes me as kind of like a Ford Mustang with automatic transmission - looks the same but dumbed down for the masses. That's my initial reaction. Sorry if its not fanboy enough. But I hope Surly sells lots of Stragglers, and I hope that Stragglers win lots of gravel and CX races. And since Straggler has some geometry changes, I can be smuggly satisfied that the Straggler isn't really a Disc Check anyway. Okay, I'm going to go stroke my Cross Check now, because it is an awesome bike.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

... and if we just ...

Dude, relax. I never said I was against the Straggler. In fact, I recall writing that it is a pretty bike and I'm all for it if it gets more people on Surly's. I know why people like disc brakes. I just think they are overestimated, especially on non-mountain bikes. But that's a discussion for a different thread. A Disc Check just strikes me as kind of like a Ford Mustang with automatic transmission - looks the same but dumbed down for the masses. That's my initial reaction. Sorry if its not fanboy enough. But I hope Surly sells lots of Stragglers, and I hope that Stragglers win lots of gravel and CX races. And since Straggler has some geometry changes, I can be smuggly satisfied that the Straggler isn't really a Disc Check anyway. Okay, I'm going to go stroke my Cross Check now, because it is an awesome bike.

I think disc brakes are sweet, but I understand why those who prefer a more traditional build choose to avoid them.

I love our Cross Checks, but I'm excited for, (what I feel to be) increased braking power. I just never felt like the stock cantilevers stopped my bike well, even with Kool Stops. Especially when fully loaded coming down a mountain.

I feel like my front disc check is a good compromise for now.

I <3 dirt

Surly Straggler

Hopefully it comes in another color.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    When I first saw and heard of this I was certain I would be getting the frame ASAP to replace my new CC. After a cooling off period I am not so sure. Yes, I might have opted for this to begin with. I am more than happy with my linear pull brakes. They are easily equal to my bb7s in stopping power even when wet. I do like the longer head tube but don't know what advantage the new rear drop out provides. I'd personally have to get it powder coated but that is just me. Who knows, maybe after I see one. If anything I think for me a Disc Trucker would better suit my purposes....but I know these are only my purposes and opinions. It's great to have so many viable options from Surly to choose from.

never summer

Surly Straggler

Looks like September for the Straggler.

http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/ta_dah
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mwv View Post
    I am more than happy with my linear pull brakes. They are easily equal to my bb7s in stopping power even when wet.
    Again, different strokes for different folks. But come on, linears are equal to bb7's in wet conditions? I like cantilever brakes, I like disc brakes. But saying that they provide the same stopping power in adverse conditions is just silly.

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brdpkns View Post
    Again, different strokes for different folks. But come on, linears are equal to bb7's in wet conditions? I like cantilever brakes, I like disc brakes. But saying that they provide the same stopping power in adverse conditions is just silly.

Mine are. Get whatever you like.

First rim brakes I've had since I was a kid. I pondered for weeks whether I would be happy with them or not. I am more than impressed by how mine are working.

I <3 dirt

Surly Straggler

Quote Originally Posted by mwv View Post
    When I first saw and heard of this I was certain I would be getting the frame ASAP to replace my new CC. After a cooling off period I am not so sure. Yes, I might have opted for this to begin with. I am more than happy with my linear pull brakes. They are easily equal to my bb7s in stopping power even when wet. I do like the longer head tube but don't know what advantage the new rear drop out provides. I'd personally have to get it powder coated but that is just me. Who knows, maybe after I see one. If anything I think for me a Disc Trucker would better suit my purposes....but I know these are only my purposes and opinions. It's great to have so many viable options from Surly to choose from.
    As far as the drop outs go, I've had my fair share of wheel slips while climbing on my CC. These dropouts aren't the prettiest out there but if they function then that's all that matters.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brdpkns View Post
    I think disc brakes are sweet, but I understand why those who prefer a more traditional build choose to avoid them.

I love our Cross Checks, but I'm excited for, (what I feel to be) increased braking power. I just never felt like the stock cantilevers stopped my bike well, even with Kool Stops. Especially when fully loaded coming down a mountain.

I feel like my front disc check is a good compromise for now.

Beautiful bike. I've half considered doing this, but I just upgraded to Kool Stop's and I am liking them thus far. If these were available when I bought my X-Check it would be a no brainer, but there are too many other bikes I want right now instead (to fill gaps the X-Check doesn't cover).

I can't wait to see my first one though. They look sweet. I wonder if Surly is going to start the new paint and I wonder if the Straggler will eventually replace the X-Check (but being that it's not called a Cross Check I doubt it). Looking forward to more cool stuff from Surly!

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    As far as the drop outs go, I've had my fair share of wheel slips while climbing on my CC. These dropouts aren't the prettiest out there but if they function then that's all that matters.
    How will these change potential slipping?

Page 1 of 68 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast