mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Surly Steamroller

No its not technically a Mountain Bike. But it can fit 38's and roll off road. and its Rad.
    'Nuff said

Post them up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Steamroller deserves it's own thread so I'll play. This bike practically begs to have a set of cross tires installed so that it can go and search for gravel and dirt.

mtbr member
    I wish they would add fender eyelets to the Steamroller. I'd probably get one for sure. But for commuting here in Portland you gotta have fenders. I realize that the CC would probably be the solution, which I have used for commuting for years, but I like that the Steamroller uses calipers. And I have a 120mm wheel laying around that I'm too lazy to sell...

Saddle Up, that's a sweet Steamroller. I'm surprised there aren't more of them posted on this list. I love the way they're spec'ing the completes with Open Bars.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Here's how my Steamroller looked in 2006:

And here's how it looked five years later:

Its current build is something completely different, but every iteration has been fun!

May 2009
    Mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Steamroller-img_0229.jpg  

MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    I wish they would add fender eyelets to the Steamroller. I'd probably get one for sure. But for commuting here in Portland you gotta have fenders
    Just use p-clamps to mount fenders.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've got a mint 53cm creamroller frameset for sale. LMK.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    STEAMROLLERS ROCK! Here is my SS baby

She is still pretty new... so still working out the right gear ratios. But she is at the moment, my best riding bike. Love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride True View Post
    STEAMROLLERS ROCK! Here is my SS baby

She is still pretty new... so still working out the right gear ratios. But she is at the moment, my best riding bike. Love it.
    Wow. That is the most baller Steamroller I've ever seen. Super gorgeous.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky View Post
    Wow. That is the most baller Steamroller I've ever seen. Super gorgeous.
    I second that. That bike is beautiful. Great job.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am thinking about building a Steamroller like Saddle Up's but with straight bars. Are there any downsides to the bike I should be aware of? I mostly want to ride light converted rail trails and some street riding.

May 2009
    Whats Baller?
    MUD

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by renski View Post
    I am thinking about building a Steamroller like Saddle Up's but with straight bars. Are there any downsides to the bike I should be aware of? I mostly want to ride light converted rail trails and some street riding.
    I hit the trails yesterday after swapping out the bar. This bike is a huge amount of fun.

mtbr member

You're killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    I hit the trails yesterday after swapping out the bar. This bike is a huge amount of fun.

That looks great. I love that he new ones come with the Open Bar, seems like a good combo. It's really tempting to pick-up a frame and build it up as a commuter since I've got so many of the parts laying around.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks, that's exactly my situation, if fact I have enough parts to build a fat tired Pacer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Are those Small Block 8's? What size?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes, Small Block 8, 35c up front, 32c out back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I wanted a steamroller a few months back, now i really want one! Nice pics and bikes

mtbr member
    I'm building a Steamroller for wet-weather commuting because I'm tired of dumping water out of the chainstays of my Gunnar. More pics to come soon.

That's a slightly-worn 38mm WTB All-Terrainasarus in a stock Steamroller fork and brake. I have a 35mm on the back, but I'm pretty sure another 38mm would fit.
    Last edited by 251; 04-27-2012 at 04:01 AM. Reason: corrected tyre size
    Dave

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm picking up a Steamroller frame set today; The fork, headset are included. It's a 2008 and he's asking $200, am I getting a good deal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've had mine for over 3 years now. Sold all of my Dura Ace'ed carbon fiber bikes. It's the only road bike I own now. I love how versatile this bike is. I've got 700x23's right now, but at times gets 32' CX tires for trail duty. I've done everything between short stints around town and centuries. It will also be used for some touring duty as well. It's fixed gear 99% of the time, but sometimes go freewheel.

Downsides: Single water bottle mount. Wish it had one on the downtube. But not a big deal. I've been eyeing those seatpost bottle mounts. Also, heft. My build with relatively light parts is still at 20lbs. Again, not a big deal. I'd gladly take the all-day comfort of a steel frame.

Ride True - What's that thing weigh? Super nice build.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by timk125 View Post
    I'm picking up a Steamroller frame set today; The fork, headset are included. It's a 2008 and he's asking $200, am I getting a good deal?
    Thats what I paid for mine and I think I got a good deal.
    MUD

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Frameset w/ headset for $200 sounds pretty good.

mtbr member

Good job!

My new Steamroller set up for commuting and dirt: 47x17 (freewheel), 35mm WTB All-Terrainasarus tyres, aero levers (old 105). It weighs 10.2kg as pictured w/ SPDs and the bottle cage.

Initial impressions:
    - The stock brake blocks suck, I'll be swapping them for DA cartridges.
    - The weird WTB saddle isn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    - 165mm cranks on a 56cm frame???
    - No rear brake cable guides/stops or downtube cage mount. Really? At least the brake bridge and fork crown are drilled.

Dave

mtbr member
    Continental Divide, on my GAP/C&O trip last July
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Steamroller-5996108937_aeafb09487_b.jpg  

DFL is a lot better than DNF!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

looking for steam roller

please PM if you or anyone is selling a mint 53cm steam roller.
    I'm open to several colors

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ride true View Post
    steamrollers rock! Here is my ss baby

she is still pretty new... So still working out the right gear ratios. But she is at the moment, my best riding bike. Love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sssasky View Post
    wow. That is the most baller steamroller i've ever seen. Super gorgeous.
    +11

mtbr member
    Mine, is gonna be changed a bit, didnt like the creamroller color I had got and made the mistake of giving it a really crappy rattle can matte black job. Either gonna try and get it done professionally or take it apart and give it a "proper" rattle can job, not sure which yet...
    Sorry pics suck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Steamroller-img00002.jpg  

Surly Steamroller-img00003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Snowwwwwy

Update

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg07 View Post
    Mine, is gonna be changed a bit, didnt like the creamroller color I had got and made the mistake of giving it a really crappy rattle can matte black job. Either gonna try and get it done professionally or take it apart and give it a "proper" rattle can job, not sure which yet...
    Sorry pics suck
    A professional powder coating costs about $100 locally. Just the amount of time that would have to be spent doing a proper rattle can job would convince me to leave it to the pros.

I think it's time to put my Steamroller back together. Swapping all the silver bits for black this time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Scorcher.

Surly Steamroller-img_20130319_142042.jpgSurly Steamroller-img_20130319_150739.jpg

Got off road today. 32mm Tires. 44x17 Fixed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Ride True, this is my first post. That's a great looking bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thinking about building out a Steamroller for dirt/gravel trails, and road riding. Any suggestions on wheels or other build options?

Need Sleep

Steam'n on 40c's

Love my Steamroller with some 40c Tires to get to the Bars or throw down a bunch of Miles on the C&O Canal Towpath
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Steamroller-image.jpg  

Surly Steamroller-image.jpg  

Surly Steamroller-image.jpg  

Go buy a Pizza

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by keirlo View Post
    Thinking about building out a Steamroller for dirt/gravel trails, and road riding. Any suggestions on wheels or other build options?
    If I ever buy another Steamroller, I am going to set it up with a Paul Racer brakeset and some nice fat 38's for dirt road/singletrack riding. (I ran mine with 35 cross tires and 38 Schwalbe Marathon Plus).Surly Steamroller-steamroller.jpg

Here is a shot from Bunyan Velo folks of a Steamroller (set up with Paul Racer). Pretty cool. I would set mine up the same way.

http://bunyanvelo.com/issues/

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    I miss my steamroller. It was a cream colored one that replaced my Raleigh One Way after I got hit by a car. I made the agreement that I would not replace it until it had done enough miles to circle the globe. After 25,650 mi, I gave it to an intern, and now it lives on in UCLA. I went through 3 front wheels and wore out 4 sets of tires on that bike, running one rear tire for 10,016 mi just to prove it could be done (Marathon Plus).

0 mi - February 26, 2010
    24,902 mi - May 17, 2012

Damn good bike. I probably wouldn't buy another one only because of the track hub compatibility with my other bikes, but it was probably one of the best bikes I've ever owned.

EDIT: Oh, and I rode that bike EVERYWHERE. Snow, mud, off road, on road, trails...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    I made the agreement that I would not replace it until it had done enough miles to circle the globe. After 25,650 mi, I gave it to an intern, and now it lives on in UCLA. I went through 3 front wheels and wore out 4 sets of tires on that bike, running one rear tire for 10,016 mi just to prove it could be done (Marathon Plus). that bike EVERYWHERE. Snow, mud, off road, on road, trails...
    That's pretty awesome--the amount your rode it, the 10,000 miles on a tire and giving it away.

Expert Pushing SSer
    @Hunter - You aren't helping! Now I want a Steamroller in the mix. Actually, it would make a nice summer time market commuter runner. 40s, an oh sh!t brake, and a basket on the front for six packs. Black frame of course with silver bits, timeless, like a tweed suit with leather elbow patches.

Edit: Holy crap! That is crazy mileage/year!
    Tuff Schist

Gettin' old

Search for the ultimate winterbike. Steamroller up for the job?

I might just be on a forever journey to find the ultimate winter bike for me.

I have a surly 1x1 which is fine but I'm still trying to find something better. What I am looking for is the same feeling what I had when I first tried out a Cinelli mash track bike. Instant love towards that bike.

I receantly tried a Stevens Vapor cyclocross.. and didn't feel it. It was nice but I probably would get bored after two weeks or sooner.

The thing is I am not sure what it is that makes the bike feel that good. The mash and mash parallax that I have now is a perfect fit for me. It might be the light weight, or track geometry.

However.. a winterbike should also have clerance for kind of wide tires to get me trough snow and ice.

I now noticed that steamroller can be fitted up to 42c tires. Though it is not light.

I've also been thinking of Cinelli Zydeco. It has clearance for 42c as well. It's light.. (well maybe not for cx racer) but it does not have same geo. Same goes for mash cxss which can also be built as fixed.

If my next winterbike will be fixed or carbon frame I will keep my 1x1. I need something to pull a trailer. In that case I also might get a alfine for the 1x1.

If it's going to be a geared and tough frame, it might replace the 1x1 and I might sell it. Only reason this would be more preferred option is that I only have so much space for bikes.

Yes it's all as confusing in my head as this post is. This might not be the right place to ask these things but I'm appreciate every help provided.

Oh.. and I'm not much of a offroad rider.

wmb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    When you put on the 42 studded tires, I think that will kill any love toward any bike. I hate my studded tires except for the fact that they keep me upright in ice and snow. Love taking them off in the spring. I ride a Cross Check 1x9 for commuting and snow duty. I did have a cheapie self built track bike, it was fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    I miss my steamroller. It was a cream colored one that replaced my Raleigh One Way after I got hit by a car. I made the agreement that I would not replace it until it had done enough miles to circle the globe. After 25,650 mi, I gave it to an intern, and now it lives on in UCLA. I went through 3 front wheels and wore out 4 sets of tires on that bike, running one rear tire for 10,016 mi just to prove it could be done (Marathon Plus).

0 mi - February 26, 2010
    24,902 mi - May 17, 2012

Damn good bike. I probably wouldn't buy another one only because of the track hub compatibility with my other bikes, but it was probably one of the best bikes I've ever owned.

EDIT: Oh, and I rode that bike EVERYWHERE. Snow, mud, off road, on road, trails...
    So you rode what averages out to around 55 miles a day in 15 months or so ? Seems like a massive overestimate... not sure how you were keeping track. I had a motorcycle that I rode every day as much as possible for 3-4 summers and only put on 20K miles. But if ya really did that somehow, thats pretty astounding.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    ... not sure how you were keeping track...
    Not sure how he did it, but it's as simple as:

mtbr member
    So you rode what averages out to around 55 miles a day in 15 months or so ? Seems like a massive overestimate... not sure how you were keeping track. I had a motorcycle that I rode every day as much as possible for 3-4 summers and only put on 20K miles. But if ya really did that somehow, thats pretty astounding.
    Not 15 months. He said Feb 2010 to May 2012, so 27 months.

mtbr member
    Hey Steamroller experts - has there ever been a frame produced with brake cable guides? Looking at buying a used frame and saw this one, but I wasn't sure they ever came with guides like this one has.

Surly Steamroller-steamroller.jpg

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009

NOS frame to replace my Pompino (now my mate's polo bike) 70 mile mainly gravel ride last week, seems good. I'll put the bigger tyres on when the present ones are slicker....

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm looking to CX-ify my Steamroller later this year. I'm planning on running some 35/38c tires and lower my gear ratio from 45x17 to 40x17 (or so). I was also planning on running some old Dia Compe 610 centerpull brakes but after installing one on the rear I decided there were too many trade-offs to make it a practical option for me.

Anyway, can someone recommend me some good tires for gravel/dirt that will also roll decent on pavement?

Any other tips for doing this sort of thing are appreciated as well (such as setting up vintage 610's without having to run those thick block-style pads)!

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    I'm using a Dia Comp type brake up front. Fixed, so no rear. I fitted Kool-stop pads, I'm a racing snake and it slows me to a halt, stoppies are out though...picture in last posting of this thread.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I gots one too...making a few changes here and there while also gravel grinding with a big grin

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Question about tire clearance and brakes:
    searched the web about this an got following information:

front tire clearance is plenty up to 42 mm tires
    rear tire clearance is up to 35 mm, but some brakes leave more space than others.

So which brake leaves most space and have good stiffness?

If the gearing or the resulting chainstay length is too short, a big tire (how big?) will rub at the seattube.

So which gearing for example is uncritical in this case?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I run 38c front and back on mine, back was REALLY close to the seat tube but then I bought a 39 tooth to replace the 42 tooth chainring and moved it back so now there's plenty of space. Side pull road caliper brakes clear fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    I run 38c front and back on mine, back was REALLY close to the seat tube but then I bought a 39 tooth to replace the 42 tooth chainring and moved it back so now there's plenty of space. Side pull road caliper brakes clear fine.

So you have 39 teeth at the chainring, but how many teeth has your freewheel?
    And which 38er tires and brakes do you have? Cannot see this on your picture.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    Question about tire clearance and brakes:
    searched the web about this an got following information:

front tire clearance is plenty up to 42 mm tires
    rear tire clearance is up to 35 mm, but some brakes leave more space than others.

So which brake leaves most space and have good stiffness?

If the gearing or the resulting chainstay length is too short, a big tire (how big?) will rub at the seattube.

So which gearing for example is uncritical in this case?
    If you're still wondering:

I run 33mm tires and with the wheel at the far end of the dropouts and I still have a good ~5/8" gap between the tired and the seat tube. The Rear brake bridge is the limiting factor. I still have at least a 3/8" of clearance (or more) all the way around at the bridge.

Brakes: centerpulls (610's *cheap on eBay* and Paul Racer M's) are the best choice IMO to take advantage of the clearance on a Steamroller. I wrote extensively on my blog about this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I know this is a quiet thread but seems best place to ask.

Looking into getting a Blue Steamroller in a few months time, however here in the UK getting a test ride is pretty much impossible or could be costly. (day off work, 5 hour drive to find one, then five hour drive back home, maybe worse)

Going through the sizing chart, a 56 might be a touch small, could possibly work round that, and a 59 might be a touch large. Current frame in use is an old english Raleigh Tempest, lugged steel frame, most likely plain gauge tubing, 1" headset, seat tube is 58cm c2c and top tube is 57.5 c2c.
    The quill stem and frame are quite flexy so going to a modern frame and 1 1/8 headset should stiffen things up a bit, and the double butted main frame tubing should be comfy.
    Currently have a KM and the harder you push it the more fun it becomes with some dynamic flex and Steel is real ride traits.

How does a roller compare to older 1" headset lugged frames ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My steamroller was quite a bit stiffer than any of my 1" headset bikes I've owned.
    Also, the steering was more precise. That doesn't mean that the bike was a brick to ride though. Still was quite comfy.

If there are any shops in the area I would go ride a few road bikes to compare, then look at the # charts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That's the feedback i was hoping to hear.

My old lugged frame is scary offroad, i might want the roller to tackle a SSEC or SSUK event maybe a SSCX but it's mainly for tarmac/commuting as the KM is there for serious offroading.

Will be digging my other Raleigh out of storage soon to measure that up, it is too big, but i can compare sizes again. Would be running riser bars over drops so can play around with my stash of 1 1/8 mtb stems.
    Ta for the feedback rusheleven

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No problem.

I rode mine on the local mtb trails all the time. Didn't do tech loops on it, but the main trails are buffish and the steamroller wasn't fast, but it was fun!

It was my main bike for quite a while.
    It was my Commuter and often was also:
    MtbMaveric/GravelExplorer/StravaSprinter/CoffeeShopQueen/CenturyCruiser

I replaced it with a Crosscheck. Still miss it.

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    I've been riding a 59 for 6 months, it's too big for me. I'm 5' 8", 30" inside leg, I'm selling it as I've bought 53 frame. Where abouts are you? If near to Bristol, you're welcome to see if it's a fit.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That cropped up in chatter on the LFGSS forum Flashes i assumed it had sold.

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    I thought so too but nope, still in the garage.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    So you have 39 teeth at the chainring, but how many teeth has your freewheel?
    And which 38er tires and brakes do you have? Cannot see this on your picture.
    Sorry for the delayed response and I was wrong about the tire size, running 35c Duro Ellie Mae up front and a 35c Richey Speedmax out back with 39-18 gearing. Right at the back end of the dropout with this ratio.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    This will probably be one of my longest training rides leading up to the 106 mile Chino Valley Grinder the first weekend in May. Some of the worst washboard miles I've ever experienced but the legs still felt surprisingly frisky on the last few rolling hills. Fueled off two gels with caffeine, two fig bars, one clif bar, one dos equis lager, and a large pepsi.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 11.07.18 PM.png
Views: 1340
Size:  38.6 KB

Riding 39-18 SS meant the gradual climb on the way back really packed a wallop.

Surly Steamroller-screen-shot-2016-03-17-11.14.04-pm.png

Surly Steamroller-screen-shot-2016-03-17-11.15.33-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Roller ressurection

Up until recently the long forgotten Roller had been languishing in the back of the shed for a couple of years. I finally decided to giver her a clean up and go for a spin but the skinny tyres and mudguard set up gave such a hard, harsh ride it rattled my teeth out. Just didn't cut it compared to the sofa surfing ride my Truckers were giving me.
    So back to basics. Removed all unnecessary hardware, changed the bars to On One Midge shallow dirt drops and fitted a set of fat Vittoria Voyager Hyper 700x38 tyres for fast summer commuting and short brevet riding.
    We're Back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The roller is back and as badass as ever, now in brown on black, or "mens dress shoe" motif as my wife calls it. In search of some nice 35c gunwall treads to tie it all together.

Surly Steamroller-screen-shot-2016-07-19-6.45.53-pm.jpg

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 6.45.53 PM.jpg 
Views:	864 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	1083080
    That's a nice looking rig you got there.

slower than you

surly aggrandizement

Posted a little write up about my Steamroller on my blog this afternoon. Thot some of y'all might be interested in having a look at it.

RockyChrysler.com: Just about a bike: Surly Steamroller

Surly Steamroller-steamroller1.jpg
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Steamroller frost blue

This is my Steamroller build.
    Conti GP4000 28 mm (real 30 mm) are able to do a little offroad ;-)
    Before someone asks: garing is 46/18.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Steamroller-steamrolller-bavenhauserwindmuehle.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    This is my Steamroller build.
    Conti GP4000 28 mm (real 30 mm) are able to do a little offroad ;-)
    Before someone asks: garing is 46/18.
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^ any chance we can get more pics? So pretty in blue.

In other news, Surly is rereleasing the steamroller as a complete.
    Steamroller Spec Sheet

Drink More Water Yellow - AKA: Mustard
    Surly Steamroller-img_4180_opt.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ugh, I want one of these so bad. The problem is I don't NEED one. I have a nice 120mm hub'd rear wheel and some various other SS parts from a conversion years ago that I want to throw on a Steamroller. As I don't NEED one, I refuse to spend $430 on a new frame, so I'm tirelessly searching CL and Ebay hoping a 56cm pops up, but I never see them for sale in my area. They're either rare or people just love them and never get rid of them!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I could have written that
    Will definitely be getting the new Karate Monkey SS next spring though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I deeply regret selling mine, and will likely get a yellow one next spring.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    dupe post, sorry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    The roller is back and as badass as ever, now in brown on black, or "mens dress shoe" motif as my wife calls it. In search of some nice 35c gunwall treads to tie it all together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 6.45.53 PM.jpg 
Views:	864 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	1083080
    Panaracer Gravel King SK is just becoming available in skin wall, and a really amazing multi-surface tire available in 32/35/40c, and they plump out bigger on wider rims, too. Serious awesome sauce for roads>fire roads>gravel>well groomed trails>b-roads>non technical single track. Super fast and smooth on the pavement, and very grippy when I've needed it to be in less smooth environments.

If you're looking for a more trail-centric tire, it might not do, tho.

Members who have read this thread: 38