mtbr member
    Feb 2008

The Surly Sport Trucker

A 26" wheel road bike, same aesthetic as the Long Haul Trucker but with chain stay length and head tube / seat tube angles like the Pacer. Still using canti brakes. A sporty road bike with extra cushion and more compact feel for in-town running around - and low-key looks for locking up in sketchy areas.

Okay so I made it up... but I wish it existed!!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Cross Check?

mtbr member
    26" Trucker with 650b sporting Grand Bois Hetres.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    I'd love to try this bike with drop bars, Nitto Noodles, in size 60cm.

*SURLY* disc trucker complete bike | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Cross Check?
    I was thinking the same thing. Too bad Surly doesn't see fit to do a disc CC.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If we're dreaming of new Surly models, I'm still waiting for the Disco Check - a Cross Check with disc brakes. The Salsa Vaya is nice, but it's just too danged ugly. The LHT is too sluggish when it's not loaded down. C'mon Surly, show your pals next door at Salsa how it should be done. Would it help if I sent you alcoholic clowns a case of beer?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Too bad Surly doesn't see fit to do a disc CC.
    No. The whole point is that it's 26". Shorter and steeper than the CC too. My idea has little in common with the CC

mtbr member

Dc?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    If we're dreaming of new Surly models, I'm still waiting for the Disco Check - a Cross Check with disc brakes.
    I wouldn't at all be surprised if 2013 was the year that Surly finally produced some kind of disc equipped road bike. I have a CC and like it well enough although I wish it had just a slightly upslope to the TT and subsequently a longer HT although avoided the straight bladed fork of the Vaya. I guess we'll find out in about 8 or 9 months.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    I wouldn't at all be surprised if 2013 was the year that Surly finally produced some kind of disc equipped road bike. I have a CC and like it well enough although I wish it had just a slightly upslope to the TT and subsequently a longer HT although avoided the straight bladed fork of the Vaya. I guess we'll find out in about 8 or 9 months.
    Yeah, I like the horizontal top tube and all but a 91mm head tube on a 52cm frame is just way too short. Even a cross racing setup requires a bunch of spacers. I think if they raised the front center of the top tube just half an inch, and extended the head tube an inch past the top tube it would still have a 'classic' look at be a lot better fitting.

The Bridgestone XO1 is the geometry I am thinking, more or less.

Skunk cabbage
    Moan jobs
    Ride your Truckers and quit complaining! #+$%!!!
    They're the best thing going

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    No. The whole point is that it's 26". Shorter and steeper than the CC too. My idea has little in common with the CC
    What you're talking about sounds like the dearly departed Bridgestone X0-1. Basically a 26" MTB with road bike geometry. Handsome Cycles makes just such an animal. With Surly's market share and marketing might I'm sure they would sell the heck out of the idea.

1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Exactly. I love the XOXO, there is one at the LBS near me that I've ogled, but I'd buy the Surly version in a heartbeat :-)

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    What you're talking about sounds like the dearly departed Bridgestone X0-1. Basically a 26" MTB with road bike geometry. Handsome Cycles makes just such an animal. With Surly's market share and marketing might I'm sure they would sell the heck out of the idea.

May I ask what the angles are? Were they similar to the Bridgestone RB series?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    May I ask what the angles are? Were they similar to the Bridgestone RB series?
    Basically an exact XO1 copy, right down to the 1" threaded headset. Handsome cycle's site has geo

mtbr member
    That Handsome does look pretty nice, I wish it came in bigger sizes.

For this LHT Sport dream, I would also wish for significantly lighter gauge tubing. Smooth and fast...

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    Basically an exact XO1 copy, right down to the 1" threaded headset. Handsome cycle's site has geo
    They're on sale right now

Handsome Cycles XOXO Frameset at BikeTiresDirect

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    I would rather have a disc Pacer than a disc Cross-Check

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    I would rather have a disc Pacer than a disc Cross-Check
    Interesting, why may I ask?

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    There are plenty of disc cross bikes out there to satisfy my needs in that arena. The only disc road bikes right now are expensive and fancy. I want a gravel-grinder on a budget.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Actually, now that I think about it, I'm gonna have to agree with Scary Jerry. A disc Pacer would be even better than a disc Cross Check, at least handling wise. I wouldn't need the extra tire clearance since the Pacer can handle 32c just fine. It would have to have 135mm rear spacing, of course.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    This thread was motivation enough where I've just called a local framebuilder friend and we're going to hack and modify a Pacer with 135mm spacing and a disc mount, as soon as 62cm frames are back in stock. Anyone happen to have a 62cm frameset they're looking to get rid of?

Also, does anyone know of any disc fork options that would work on a Pacer? I'm not too keen on testing the limits of the fork blades on the stock unit. Does Salsa make anything that's the right length or am I going to have to start hunting?