mtbr member

Surly Sizing Troll

Hi everyone. I've decided to sell some things -- my wife, my snowblower, etc. -- and see about getting myself a new Troll. I'm looking for guidance on frame size.

My dimensions: height = 5'9", cycling inseam = 32"

I'm leaning towards the 18" frame size, but would a 20" be out of line?

mtbr member
    I think the 18" is good for you since its effective top tube length is a bit long at 23.5"
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    those are my exact numbers...
    I have a Pugsley 18" (09), Same ETT.....and I love it, I run it with a 90mm stem, H-bar and a Brooks Flyer, it is my comfy bike...but I must say, I would have loved to try a 16...in fact I was very close to change it for a 16" when building....but I'm in Mexico (no Surly at all around)...so I did it all by the internet and I want it to ride it asap...so I keep it...so far, no regrets.

Surly geometry is a little bit odd...on this case geometry is a bit similar to the Salsa Ala Carte...on their chart we land just between 16 and 18.

go and try a 1x1 or Ala Carte on 16 and 18...and then decide....that's my recommendation...unless you have ape arms, a 20" will be not good at all

if you can't wait and need to order it...just don't ask a 20"
    Last edited by martinsillo; 10-28-2010 at 12:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Martin, your information is a huge help. Thank you.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    Martin, your information is a huge help. Thank you.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    those are my exact numbers...
    I have a Pugsley 18" (09), Same ETT.....and I love it, I run it with a 90mm stem, H-bar and a Brooks Flyer, it is my comfy bike...but I must say, I would have loved to try a 16...in fact I was very close to change it for a 16" when building....but I'm in Mexico (no Surly at all around)...so I did it all by the internet and I want it to ride it asap...so I keep it...so far, no regrets.

Surly geometry is a little bit odd...on this case geometry is a bit similar to the Salsa Ala Carte...on their chart we land just between 16 and 18.

go and try a 1x1 or Ala Carte on 16 and 18...and then decide....that's my recommendation...unless you have ape arms, a 20" will be not good at all

if you can't wait and need to order it...just don't ask a 20"
    It looks like a person 5' 9" tall could go either way: a small or a medium. I'm 5' 11-3/4" and would not even think about a large or 20" frame for stand over reasons but my legs are relatively short (32" inseam). A 20" is more than an inch higher in stated stand over height (30.5" vs. 31.7") My Instigator of many years was an 18" with a nearly identical 23.6" ETT (vs. 23.5" on the Troll) and 30.4" vs. 30.5" stand over and it was perfect.

http://www.surlybikes.com/uploads/do...Instigator.pdf
    http://surlybikes.com/frames/troll_frame/

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    It looks like a person 5' 9" tall could go either way: a small or a medium. I'm 5' 11-3/4" and would not even think about a large or 20" frame for stand over reasons but my legs are relatively short (32" inseam). A 20" is more than an inch higher in stated stand over height (30.5" vs. 31.7") My Instigator of many years was an 18" with a nearly identical 23.6" ETT (vs. 23.5" on the Troll) and 30.4" vs. 30.5" stand over and it was perfect.
    I know this thread has been dormant of awhile, but the topic is exactly what I'm pondering. I'm looking to build up a Troll as a general purpose/ultra-reliable bike. I'm just a smidge under 5'9", inseam 31.5". A size 17" would probably be idea, but since that's not available I'm trying to figure out whether a 16 or 18 would be better.

I'm leaning towards the 16, and went to a local Surly sealer yesterday to get a second opinion. Unfortunately, they didn't have any Trolls in stock, but took my measurements and guesstimated using the Troll geometry from their website. They also think a size 16, while a tad smaller than ideal, would be better.

It's my understanding that it's better to get a frame that's a little small than one that's a little big because it's easier to adapt a smaller frame. For instance, the effective top-tube length can be 'made longer' by selecting a longer, more angled stem. If a bike frame is a bit too big, there's not much that can be done.

Just something to consider - taken with a grain of salt. I'm certainly no bike wrench, and no expert on frame fitting; these are just my impressions based on what I've read, and discussions I've had with those who are more knowledgeable.

It's too bad for me that Surly doesn't make a size 17 because in every other way the Troll is perfect.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi JonathanGennick
    I dont think the 20 would be you. I've been struggling with a similar dilemma but with the Trolls big brother, the Ogre. I'm 5' 11" and am unsure if the 20 is going to be too long in the top tube. My inseam is larger than yours too at 34 inches, so I'm picking you as more suitable as the 18 and in no way suitable for the 20".
    I'm going by what I've read and been advised. Apparently I'm on the cusp of being half way between the 18 and 20. How flash is the wife? Send pics of the snowblower.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Another guy with your same measurements, riding an 18 inch Troll, which fits perfectly.

troll
    5'8" with 30" inseam. My Troll, 1x1 and Dummy are all 18" sizes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    Another guy with your same measurements, riding an 18 inch Troll, which fits perfectly.
    +1

Based on the chart kindly provided by martinsillo, and looking at the geometry on the Surly site, it seems like an 18 would be just about perfect for someone 5'11". I'd go to your local dealer for a second opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by brokebike View Post
    5'8" with 30" inseam. My Troll, 1x1 and Dummy are all 18" sizes.
    Wow. It seems like an 18 would be a bit big for you. The standover height is listed at just over 30", and it seems like the top tube would be a bit long. But, you say it fits pretty well?

troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
    Wow. It seems like an 18 would be a bit big for you. The standover height is listed at just over 30", and it seems like the top tube would be a bit long. But, you say it fits pretty well?
    Well, I personally don't put too much stock in standover height on bikes, but I could see how for offroad it might be more of a concern. True, Surly lists the 18" Troll as having 30.5" standover, but even on mine, with huge 2.5" tires, that 30.5" point from the floor hits about 1" forward of the pedal spindle when the cranks are at 3 o'clock on the downstroke.... that's pretty far up the top tube!

My 30" inseam I listed is my pants length, not my inseam from the floor, so you have to factor in shoes, etc. When I'm standing over my 18" Surlys flat-footed, I would have to pull the bike back towards me almost to where my crotch hits the stem before any of my "junk" rests on the top tube, so that said, I have PLENTY of standover clearance.

As for top tube length, I've always thought Surly was one of those bike companies whose top tube lengths run a tad bit long. They are just a bit longer than ideal for me, but if I were to go down to a 16" frame, I would feel way too cramped. Take a look at any of the photos I've posted of my bikes here, and you can see from how high I have my seatposts that 18" looks like a good fit. I will admit that I run a bit shorter stems than most folks... I usually prefer a 90mm - 100mm stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi, currently ride a trek remedy 19.5 at 6ft 2 and with an inseam of 32. This fits perfectly with enough stand over room.

I have ordered a surly troll for my daily commute and want to be sure I don't buy too big a bike. I am thinking of getting the 20 inch frame as this gives me a decent level of clearance for my under carriage. I ll be riding on canal paths and also will be giving my daughter a lift on a child seat .

I don't see much difference in reach to be honest as the top tubes vary less than the frame size. Any feed back gratefully received .

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Already well covered that yes a 20" would be out of line, but I will add anyway that I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam and my 18" feels pretty darn long already. I am actually running a 70mm stem as a result. And I have a longer torso!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

troll
    Like I said above, I think Surly's top tubes are too long to begin with. In fact, most modern bike manufacturers make their TT's a bit too long.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brokebike View Post
    Like I said above, I think Surly's top tubes are too long to begin with. In fact, most modern bike manufacturers make their TT's a bit too long.
    Depends on the purpose - for instance, the Krampus should be designed around a 60-70mm stem, but the 'old school' geometry of the Troll/Ogre/1x1 lends itself to a 100mm-ish stem IMO.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm with Brokebike on most modern TTs being a bit too long. I'm 5'6" and ride a 16" Troll and Pugsley with 70mm stems and plenty of steerer tube height which gets the bars even closer.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ok so I ride an 18" pugsley, which is is effectively a 29er.. the frame clears my standover height and is a good fit.

Given the Troll is of a similar geometry, but with smaller wheels, an 18" Troll would definitely be fine for me as well? With the slim potential of a 20" fitting?

troll
    I'd stick with the 18" size if the reach feels good to you. Otherwise you run the risk of having too long of a top tube with the 20".

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey boogman,

The important part that fits your body size is still the same for the 18" Pugsley and Troll (23.5" Eff TT). Don't worry about the wheel size for fitting the bike, worry about the effective top tube length. 18" Troll will do you fine as long as the 18" Pug does you fine. To get the same saddle position to pedals and bars you will set your saddle back a little and run a slightly shorter stem on the Troll given the different seat tube angles and same Eff TT. I ride a 16" Pug and Troll and they both fit me great.