mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Surly Singlespeed Hub

So, is it just my hub, or are freewheels stupidly hard to remove from this hub. Two separate freewheels, put on with not more than hand pressure, required me to use a vise, and an incredible amount of force to remove (so much so that there was spoke deflection). The freewheels did finally break free, but only after a loud crack. The hub and the freewheels were undamaged.

Any thoughts?

lpt1
    Use anti-seize lubricant when turning on a freewheel, and You would be ok.
    For removing freewheel I use proper removing tool, fixed on the axle with bolt or QR, and big alligator wrench. Without vise, any sound and overtorque.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Everytime you pedal you are effectively tightening the freewheel on to the hub. Anti-seize compound makes it easier, as mentioned above.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I guess I should have prefaced by saying: the above happened within 5 minutes of putting the freewheel on. I removed the other one (understandably difficult, as it was the original on the bike, and had never been removed before), greased up the threads, installed, removed the cone to pull a spacer, loctited it back on, and then went to remove the freewheel to allow it to cure. That is when the above happened.

I guess I'm a bit stymied by the process, since I've never had to use anything other than grease, and in my daily taking off and putting on of freewheels at the shop, this is the first time I've ever encountered something like this. I will give the anti-seize a go when I replace it before the ride on Sunday.