mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Surly Rear Rack and Small Ogre

I have a small Ogre and I picked up a rear Surly rack for it.It seems to be that the front supports are too short for the size of the frame. Am I missing something? It seams to lean too far forward. I've tried to use the two different rear mounting options down by the wheel.

Thanks for the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Rear Rack and Small Ogre-photo-14-.jpg  

Surly Rear Rack and Small Ogre-photo-16-.jpg  

mtbr member
    This is often a problem with small frames from any manufacturer.

Can you lower the vertical struts any further?

If not, the easiest option would be something like this:
    Problem Solvers

Which adds a rack mounts by the seat collar, but you'll need to find one in 28.6mm. Not sure what's available. Surly may also make longer arms, or have another suggestion for you. Have you tried emailing them?

EDIT: Here's one in 28.6mm Amazon.com: Electra Seatpost Clamp with Rack Mount for Steel Frame: Sports & Outdoors

All that being said, running the rack at a slight angle shouldn't have any adverse effect. Panniers should still mount securely, and anything bungeed on will probably still be fine. Doesn't look perfect, but is unlikely to be a problem.
    Last edited by SSSasky; 08-15-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: More info

mtbr member
    nm.
    Last edited by SSSasky; 08-15-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: redundant

mtbr member

Nitto struts

You can order some Nitto struts through Rivendell and then cut them to the right length so that the rack sits level. They're easy to cut and these struts work with the Surly hardware. I used a Nitto strut to mount a Surly rack on my Rivendell.

Nitto Rack Hardware - 42cm straight struts pair - 20077
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I hate not being able to have my rack level. I would email Surly and say WTF, there is no reason for that rack not to come with struts that are too long, so the user can trim down to the appropriate size . The struts on my Salsa Wanderlust were 370mm uncut. Their racks on their bikes should be a perfect fit!

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Tubus mounting rod thingies might work

Tubus Roundstays | | Bike Bag Shop

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. Emailed Surly yesterday. I wouldn't mind the angle for the rack if it didn't hit the back of my legs when sitting back in the saddle.

Saddle Up - I agree...Just send longer tubes and let the customer trim as needed.

I'll post the response from Surly when I get it.
    The LBS I support - http://atownbikes.net/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just got an email back from Surly. They are sending longer struts to me at no charge.

Now that's customer support!
    The LBS I support - http://atownbikes.net/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eredinger View Post
    Just got an email back from Surly. They are sending longer struts to me at no charge.

Now that's customer support!
    That's great. When I got my front Nice Rack it didn't come with defective hardware and it was missing two brackets. They sent me new hardware and brackets no problem. Good deal.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys