Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

surly ogre wheel upgrade

looking to upgrade the wheels on my ogre any recommendations on a good set
    i would like to get something a little wider than what came on it stock
    Last edited by 05kas05; 03-15-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    Stan's Arch EX.

/thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 05kas05 View Post
    looking to upgrade the wheels on my ogre any recommendations on a good set
    i would like to get something a little wider than what came on it stock
    Are the hubs good and you want to just swap in some new rims?

I've got Stan's Flows which are nice and wide and I also have some Velocity P35s [aka Blunt 35] that are mega wide. If you are going to run a big tire [2.4"] the P35s are sweet. I really like the wide tire or a wide rim the tire is supported nicely and rides amazingly well. Much better than the same tire on a normal width MTB rim.

The Velocity rims come in some bling colours if that matters to you.

If I was starting over I'd go with the P35s on both my wheelsets and skip the Stan's rims.....nothing wrong with them, but I run wide rubber all the time.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    nothing wrong with the wheels i have now i should have worded it a little different
    im looking to buy a wheelset thats prebuilt or get ideas on parts needed to have a set built.i will use my old wheels for some regular street type tires and swap them as needed or i might sell them to get some money for other parts

someone on another forum recommended salsa gordo rims but i could not locate them it looks like they are discontinued, i run a set of rhynolites w/xt hubs on my camber but i dont think they make them in a 29" set. i was trying to stay with the dual brake rim but i have changed my mind and am looking at disc only now to broaden my choices.
    what hubs are you guys running or which do you recommend.
    not real interested in bling im looking to do black rims, hubs and, spokes/nipples but i do like that buzzing bee sound i hear from some peoples wheels.
    im also removing all the labels that can be removed maybe i will swap out the surly sticker for a roadmaster one to throw the thieves off haha!!!!!
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    You could build up a set of Rabbit Holes although that may be a little too wide. Would make a 2.4 tire look sweet though!
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    well i will definitly look them up thanks for the suggestion

anyone else got a recommendation
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    Rhyno Lites are available in 29/700c

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hope Pro II hubs to Stan's ZTR Flow EX rims. The wheelset I run on literally all my bikes (well, once I can afford to).
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Check out universalcycles.com custom wheel builder page. Their handbuilt wheels are reasonably priced. I've had a couple of sets from them with no problems. You just pick the different parts you want to go together, they figure the spoke lengths and the build up.

Personally, unless you have a bling thing, I'd just run maybe a Shimano Deore front hub and if you're feeling a little more engagement for the rear a Shimano Deore XT hub. For my 26" Troll I run Sun Ringle MTX 33's and they are available for 29er's. They're a little heavy, very strong for average mtb use, and aren't terribly expensive. Bicycle Wheel Warehouse online built that set with no issues either.

mtbr member
    ok i have never had to build a wheelset so i dont know a few things about wheels like if i should get alloy or brass nipples and what spokes are better than others and i need to be sure im getting matching hubs and the right width hubs for my ogre here is a copy of the set i was looking to build i just need to know for sure it is all correct and is decent parts if there are better spokes nipples or if i just got it all wrong please let me know

Front Hubs Hope Pro 2 Evo Disc Front Hub
    - Black 32 Hole - 100mm Spacing Change Remove
    Front Rims Stans ZTR Flow EX 29er Rim
    - 29" x 32 Hole (Black) Change Remove
    Front Spokes DT Swiss Champion Spokes
    - 2.0mm Black Change Remove
    Front Nipples DT Swiss Brass Nipples
    - Black 12mm Change Remove
    Rear Hubs Hope Pro 2 Evo 135mm Disc Rear Hub
    - Black 32 Hole (Quick Release) Change Remove
    Rear Rims Stans ZTR Flow EX 29er Rim
    - 29" x 32 Hole (Black) Change Remove
    Rear Spokes DT Swiss Champion Spokes
    - 2.0mm Black Change Remove
    Rear Nipples DT Swiss Brass Nipples
    - Black 12mm Change Remove
    Your Total: $693.23
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    Everything seems in order in your wheel request, but you should really hit CRC for Hopes laced on Flows. 'Bout 450$ for the set free shipping. Please don't pay 700$ for a similar wheel set...

Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo on Stans Flow Front 29er | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo on Stans Flow Rear 29er | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    That looks like An awesome deal from crc Thanks. One question though since they are out of the country when you order from them is there any extra fees or taxes that they will charge you. I see it says free shipping to us but what about import/ duty fees.is there a particular way or company that I should have them shipped through.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sooo, this may ignite something awful, but what's the fascination I see around with Hope hubs? For myself, they seem extremely expensive compared to other alternatives (if you want sealed cartridge bearings there is Sram for lower cost as an example). Not slighting anyone, just curious what the thought process is. It's ok if it's beauty as well as function, I could see that. I go toward function and practicality which bugs the crap out of my wife.

One wheelset I spec'd on Universalcycles was a set of Blunt 35's, black brass nipples, black Champion spokes, and Sram X9 hubs that came to around $450 shipped.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    Sooo, this may ignite something awful, but what's the fascination I see around with Hope hubs? For myself, they seem extremely expensive compared to other alternatives (if you want sealed cartridge bearings there is Sram for lower cost as an example). Not slighting anyone, just curious what the thought process is. It's ok if it's beauty as well as function, I could see that. I go toward function and practicality which bugs the crap out of my wife.

One wheelset I spec'd on Universalcycles was a set of Blunt 35's, black brass nipples, black Champion spokes, and Sram X9 hubs that came to around $450 shipped.
    hey man your not igniting anything here i will take all the talk and opinions i can get. the more info and the more knowledge i get here will make it easier for me to decide. as far as the hope hubs go yes i wanted a little bling for my ogre. i wanted to get some king hubs but it seems the hope hubs are recommended as much as the king hubs also they are a little cheaper. im running the xt hubed rhynolites on my 26" camber so on this build i just wanted something different.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    Hopes are good hubs, but are not in the same league as Hadleys, Kings, Profiles, etc. Just a small notch lower.

They are louuuuuud. If you like that. Sealing is somewhat ok, not the best. OEM bearings tend to be rough.

They are easily serviced with standard tools and bearings are available for cheap at any bearing shop.
    Last edited by zoro; 03-19-2013 at 05:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ah, Hope's have some bling and are serviceable, but less expensive than the other blings.

I like the basic Shimano's because I can service them, get parts, and cost effective. I don't know enough about Sram hubs, but Sram/Rockshox tend to make things serviceable and available from what I've seen. But, Sram and Shimano are pretty darn boring on the flash scale. My snow camo Sun Ringle MTX33's do something for the color on my Troll (maybe good, maybe bad depending on your view, haha).

mtbr member
    They are easily serviced with standard tools and bearings are available for cheap at any bearing shop.[/QUOTE]
    this is the two main reasons i was looking at hope.

if you were buying new hubs what would you order and what would be your second in line if the first were not avail.

i have done alot of reading online and am finding that all the hubs have their pros and cons its just trying to decide what cons you want to deal with.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    They are easily serviced with standard tools and bearings are available for cheap at any bearing shop.
    this is the two main reasons i was looking at hope.

if you were buying new hubs what would you order and what would be your second in line if the first were not avail.

i have done alot of reading online and am finding that all the hubs have their pros and cons its just trying to decide what cons you want to deal with.[/QUOTE]

I'd still go for Hopes first. They are 100% adaptable front and rear to all the new and old axle standards.

I know people rave about Kings, and I'm sure they are magnificient hubs, but they need specialized tools and those tools cost a small fortune. BUT they are super well sealed and they will last forever.

E13 seem nice, but they are a new model. Never trust a new model hub. Always wait a year or two so the bugs are worked out.

Shimano are a wise choice because of the serviceability and the fact they can be had for next to nothing. Ball bearings costs nothing and when you know how to operate cone wrenches, they will literally last forever.

Finally, Hadleys are a wise choice. A tiny bit more expensive than Hopes, but with better bearings and sealing. These hub will roll forever, they are that smooth. Check out balle racing's website. THey stock them in pretty much every colour/form/type

Hubs are an endless debate though, as some people will chime in and say the exact opposite of what I say and claim they hold the truth!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hopes are lightweight, serviceable and adaptable. That's why I like them. Yes they are definitely loud! They are not necessarily the best bargain but I don't mind paying their price tag because I know I'm not going to have to buy another wheelset again (until I change wheel size...)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    i am going with crc and am ordering the hope hub with straight pull spokes.
    i have a question before i do,i called some of my local shops and tried to get prices and availability on the straight pull hope hubs and all said they could only get the j-bend set so my question is if i break a spoke or bend a wheel is there going to be a problem getting the straight pull spokes. should i get the straight pull hub wheelset or stay with the j-bend either way they are coming from crc i tried to keep it local but they want 300.00 more for the wheels than crc.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    i am going with crc and am ordering the hope hub with straight pull spokes.
    i have a question before i do,i called some of my local shops and tried to get prices and availability on the straight pull hope hubs and all said they could only get the j-bend set so my question is if i break a spoke or bend a wheel is there going to be a problem getting the straight pull spokes. should i get the straight pull hub wheelset or stay with the j-bend either way they are coming from crc i tried to keep it local but they want 300.00 more for the wheels than crc.
    Good decision!

Though straight pull spokes are scarcely available compared to J-bends. As a rule of thumb, I'd say you never tour seriously with straight pulls or you simply carry a couple spares with you in case. Don't count on joe shmoe bike shop in nowhere to carry specialized spokes like that.

mtbr member
    I also suggest having/carrying extra spokes. Every wheel I build I make sure I get an extra spoke for each length. Straight pulls aren't that hard to find, but get a couple extras if you can (from crc or your shop) and that way your have them and don't have to wait or look around.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    makes total sense about the j-bends being easier to find so in the end that is the way im going. i am going to check one more local shop i actually forgot about and see if i can pick up the set through them as i would like to help out the local guys first. also just got a bite on a bike i have for sale so if that goes through i might up the budget to go with hadleys or some chris kings not sure which and i need to see what kind of offer they throw out on the bike.either way i really do appreciate all the help and time you guys took to answer my questions it is appreciated and once i get it all in order i will post some pics thanks again.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

dying hurts.
    I would NEVER run an aluminum freehub body (Hope Pro II's) on a bike like the ogre.
    I built up a set of 36h Rhyno-Lite's to XT hubs...a steel freehub body is heavier, but a million times more durable...also much cheaper.
    I wanted a wheelset that I could build and never have to touch.
    I've built up a dozen or so pairs of Stan's rims and would never use them for myself....maybe if I was a lightweight xc racer-boy, in which case I wouldn't be riding an ogre anyway.

mtbr member
    why would you not run the hope hubs on the ogre? and what problems or reasons do you have to not run the flow ex. can you give me some further explanation on this. im not a xc racer boy, i am planning to use this ogre as my everything bike right now im just running on normal trails rocky rooty type stuff with 1-2 ft drops and roller jumps, but i want to get into some small bike packing rides in the future once i get my fitness levels up.my weight at this time is 205 and i add about 15 with my gear now i plan to lose about 20lbs then start doing longer more difficult rides right now im doing about 10-15 miles per ride.any help is appreciated thanks
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast