mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Surly Ogre Trailer Compatibility

Hi all - I got a Burley Bee trailer on Craigslist for a steal and I'm trying to get it properly setup on my Ogre.

The trailer came with a "universal" plastic receiver, but it doesn't work with the disc brakes, so i bought Burley's hitch and a hitch pin at Home Depot:

Amazon.com: Burley Design Bicycle Trailer Hitch (Standard, Forged): Sports & Outdoors

The instructions say to just put this guy through the quick release system on my rear tire, however that seems like it will cause me a headache and the Ogre frame has a threaded hitch mount.

My question - will the Surly Grub work on the hitch mount (just aft of the rear disc brake, LHS of the bike) or should I buy a nut and bolt (and what size) and cut it to fit?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am using that Amazon one on a troll and didn't have any issues. I believe they are the same dropouts. I am running the wheel all the way forward though. I would be a little concerned about slippage if I wasn't but would do it anyway and add monkey nuts if I was having problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks for the info, Scuba. The Troll and Ogre are indeed the same. Slippage was among my concerns...

Ogre Build Thread

On Page 7 one user shows his mount, but I can't find the part he described online.
    Last edited by AK de FLA; 6 Days Ago at 06:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yes,i use a set of monkey nuts on my ogre along with my BOB trailer to keep the wheel from slipping.

you may need some washers on the 10x1mm grub screws to keep it from hitting the disc rotor and drivetrain side,the surly trailer nuts work fine like that,but i had to use washers on the BOB nutz to make it work,in the end i went back to the through axle,been reliable for the last 18 months,and i tow a trailer at least once a week...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Mounted

Surly Ogre Trailer Compatibility-img_1926.jpg

I just got a 3/8 carriage bolt, washer and nut... I need to cut it down to size, but it seems fine to me. I just like the idea of popping it on and off; I don't want to leave the hitch mounted when I'm not using it.

Any foreseeable issues?

UPDATE: So I've been reading more... From what I gather this mount is a 10mm and 26 TPI which is a very very unique - I say this because I can't find a dealer online which manufactures a bolt with this specification. I don't think the Surly Grubs will be long enough (there needs to be space to clear the quick release). I guess my concern now is, am I going to cause a problem by using a coarse threaded 3/8? There is some play in it which I can counter with a nut on the back, but I didn't have to muscle it in or anything.
    Last edited by AK de FLA; 6 Days Ago at 07:23 PM.

Obi
    mtbr member
    At least consider going to a grade-8 bolt with maybe an alloy sleeve to strengthen the connection?
    Last edited by Obi; 6 Days Ago at 12:20 AM.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Ya, you're right.

I ordered some bolts from boltsdepot.com with a higher thread count. The closest they had was a 32 and a 24. I hope that makes a difference.