Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    351

    Surly Ogre Headset - Help!

    G'day from Western Australia

    Can someone tell me about headsets?

    I looked at the Surly site which told me the complete bike build used a Cane Creek 40 series.

    I've just realised there is more than one version of 1 and 1/8th Cane Creek 40 series. Search results for Cane Creek 40

    I've been offered for my build a FSA Orbit z.
    Wiggle | FSA Orbit Z Black No.9 1 1/8 Aheadset | Headsets
    but have no idea as to its suitability.

    I've had the same old school quill stem set up bike for the last 17 years so have no idea about the new ahead type setups.
    My Ogre frame will be here in the next few days coming from Jenson and I'm a little unsure how to procede.

    Thanks for any help.

    Someone has just pointed out to me this:
    Cane Creek Cycling Components :: Headset Fit Finder
    Which may help others with similar issues.

    Now I just need to find out if the FSA is the same?
    Last edited by rifraf; 02-25-2013 at 03:05 AM. Reason: update

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    60
    One of the reasons I chose the Ogre over the Fargo, is because the Ogre uses "regular" 1-1/8" headsets. Not integrated, just your everyday, normal, run-of-the-mill press-fit headsets with external cups. The Fargo and the Krampus use the new style EC44 lower cups and a zero stack top, but the Ogre is "old school" and uses "regular" headsets. I was able to save some money because I already had the headset for the Ogre, but would have had to add the expense of the new headset on the Krampus.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilancing View Post
    One of the reasons I chose the Ogre over the Fargo, is because the Ogre uses "regular" 1-1/8" headsets. Not integrated, just your everyday, normal, run-of-the-mill press-fit headsets with external cups. The Fargo and the Krampus use the new style EC44 lower cups and a zero stack top, but the Ogre is "old school" and uses "regular" headsets. I was able to save some money because I already had the headset for the Ogre, but would have had to add the expense of the new headset on the Krampus.
    Well thats just it. I dont know what a regular headset is/looks like as my bike is 17 years old. Its been pointed out on another forum I use that I should forget about the FSA as its unsuitable. The word unsuitable is nice and easy for me to understand. I wont bother taking up its kind offer as it cant be used.
    I've also since had pointed out at long last that the correct cane creek 40 to use is:
    Wiggle | Cane Creek 40 Series Traditional 1 1/8 Inch Headset | Headsets
    Theres nothing in that Wiggle advert that says to me "regular" ,everyday, normal, or run-of-the-mill But hey,
    thats my fault and not yours. I'm just not in the know about what is for me "late model' bikes (bikes newer than 17 years ago which was when I last bought one)
    No worries and thanks heaps for trying to put me straight on the matter. As per the Cane Creek tool in my above post I now know which unit to buy which is a huge load off I can tell you.
    Again, Trilancing - thanks for taking the time to answer. Nobody else here did so I appreciate the thought. Sorry I was too stupid to make sense of it but between your post and the one in another forum, I can now make an informed and correct purchase decision.
    Cheers Mate!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    60
    Sorry. I guess the word, "Traditional" in your link, above, is their hint toward, "regular, everyday, normal, run-of-the-mill", but more importantly, just make sure it doesn't say "integrated" anywhere in the description. These "normal" headsets have "external cups" and are visually taller than most "integrated" headsets.

    1-1/8" size, threadless. I'm sorry that I'm bad at explaining this, but it's the kind that sticks above and below your headtube once installed. This is probably the most available style of headset and you can find them in the entire range of pricing.

    I have this Cane Creek Tank II on one, and this Chris King on the other.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilancing View Post
    Sorry. I guess the word, "Traditional" in your link, above, is their hint toward, "regular, everyday, normal, run-of-the-mill", but more importantly, just make sure it doesn't say "integrated" anywhere in the description. These "normal" headsets have "external cups" and are visually taller than most "integrated" headsets.

    1-1/8" size, threadless. I'm sorry that I'm bad at explaining this, but it's the kind that sticks above and below your headtube once installed. This is probably the most available style of headset and you can find them in the entire range of pricing.

    I have this Cane Creek Tank II on one, and this Chris King on the other.
    Hey - its all good.
    I now know heaps more than when I started today looking into headsets.
    Whilst I really like the look of the Tank 11, can I assume the Chris King is the fancier one due to the 10 year warranty?
    I reckon the Tanks polished alloy would look great offsetting a black frame.

    I think one of the problems is the service in the local bike shops that I've been too here in my new state is no where near the quality I've been used to so I've stopped going to them and only now buy online.
    I'm thinking I need to keep searching for a good one and asking these kinds of questions where bikes are actually at so I can get the proper visual picture I need to understand.
    Again - thanks for your input.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    99
    Hello mate,

    FSA Orbit MX will be on my Ogre. Mid-range, reliable, smooth - or so I was told. :-)

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,837

    Surly Ogre Headset - Help!

    I put a cheap $20 FSA Pig on my Monkey and it's silky smooth if just a bit heavy.

  8. #8
    Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Reputation: hunter006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    449
    I have a Chris King NoThreadset in mine. Looking back on it now, I'd probably go with a FSA Orbit MX, or maybe one of the heavy duty Cane Creek headsets instead of the Chris King if I had to do it all again (serviceability). For some strange reason the MSRP suggested by QBP in Washington is $40-$60 higher for Cane Creek headsets compared to the MSRP on the website, so I'd probably go FSA.

    (also, hi from a guy who used to live in Joondalup)

  9. #9
    I Ride for Donuts
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,280
    I put a Cane Creek 40 series on mine...I had no idea that's what comes with the complete bike. They are pretty bombproof...I've always liked the Cane Creek 'compression ring' design...I've never had one loosen on me. The 40 series has easily replaceable cartridge bearings (not that you'll ever need to), a nice seal for keeping gunk out, and the price is pretty good.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post

    (also, hi from a guy who used to live in Joondalup)
    Hi Hunter006, thanks for the suggestions. Hi from Two Rocks. Been here about 6 months after cycling over from Mudgee NSW on my Moulton with trailer.

  11. #11
    Cycle Psycho
    Reputation: Gritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Whilst I really like the look of the Tank 11, can I assume the Chris King is the fancier one due to the 10 year warranty?
    I reckon the Tanks polished alloy would look great offsetting a black frame.
    The Cane Creek Tank II headset is actually chromed steel, and very heavy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •