Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: surly ogre

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

surly ogre

Has anyone seen a geometry chart for the new ogre and whether it will be suspension corrected or not?

mtbr member
    It's the same as the Karate Monkey if I'm not mistaken, just different drop-outs and braze-ons.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I should have asked about the geometry for the xxl theyre supposed to make.

mtbr member
    I can't imagine it not being suspension corrected, aren't all their mountain bikes suspension corrected now?
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

Another Retro Grouch
    New KM has lighter/lively Salsa Cromoto fork (IMHO best rigid fork on the market), Orge has old heavy/dead KM fork. It's suspension corrected, as said above, same geometry as KM.
    Last edited by pursuiter; 09-12-2011 at 11:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think an Enabler would be a good fit for the Ogre. Not even to run as a fat front, but just for the braze-ons and for the extra rear hub in case your freehub dies on some crazy cross country/cross continent/cross world tour.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Pretty sure the Ogre just rendered the KM obsolete (this coming from someone who LOVES the Karate MOnkey). Took the canti mounts off the KM, but still on the ogre. So the Ogre is same geometry, and just has more stuff. Can still run geared or SS, suspended or not, discs of v-brakes, etc... etc...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Pretty sure the Ogre just rendered the KM obsolete (this coming from someone who LOVES the Karate MOnkey). Took the canti mounts off the KM, but still on the ogre. So the Ogre is same geometry, and just has more stuff. Can still run geared or SS, suspended or not, discs of v-brakes, etc... etc...
    The new KM supposedly has a lighter fork, but if I wanted really light I'd go with carbon anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    I think an Enabler would be a good fit for the Ogre. Not even to run as a fat front, but just for the braze-ons and for the extra rear hub in case your freehub dies on some crazy cross country/cross continent/cross world tour.
    I would have liked to see the Ogre come with the mid-blade rack braze-ons AND the extra water bottle / Anything cage mounts...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Good thing I checked their blog, I was about to pimp out my '05 KM for trail duty....

I think I found my new monstercross slash trail work slash bob with chainsaw hauler. At least with Surly products the bob trailer won't make the rear end flex like the old salsa dos niner - she's got a shimmy on the descents........

mtbr member

Fargo fork?

Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy View Post
    I would have liked to see the Ogre come with the mid-blade rack braze-ons AND the extra water bottle / Anything cage mounts...
    What about running a Fargo fork on an ogre? I think the geometry might be ever so slightly different but I doubt it's enough to totally ruin the handling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    I like this idea, run a SS hub in the front and you always have an escape from catastrophe. Plus the enabler fork is nice. When I had one on my SS, I think that was the first time in my life I was excited about a rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The new website is up!

mtbr member
    Nice to see they lengthened the head tube on the XL Ogre (125mm vs. 105mm), even though it's still short. A third bottle cage would've been nice as well. Still, it looks pretty intriguing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I wonder if the Ogre complete will have thumb shifters (which the Ogre complete in the photo on the website appears to have) or the Deore rapid fire shifters listed in the specs. I am hoping for thumb shifters -- I am a big fan. I have a feeling that I am going to end up with an Ogre complete --- too hard to resist and I think I almost have my wife on board for me getting one more bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

ogre

As a tall guy, I like the look of this bike. I also like the features.

How would this bike work as a technical trail bike set up with a 100mm front fork?
    Is this supposed to be more of an off road touring bike or is it suitable for extenisve xc / trail riding?

E
    Last edited by bigE; 09-16-2011 at 05:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It has classic XC geometry with a slightly longer rear end (well, not long for a 29er). It would do XC pretty well I bet, technical trails pretty well but not fast. It's meant to do everything satisfactorily, so it's not going to be outstanding at anything (except practicality).

Basically if you want to ride trails fast, it's probably not a great choice but otherwise can't go wrong.

mtbr member

bottles

Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    A third bottle cage would've been nice as well. Still, it looks pretty intriguing.
    Yeah, I don't really know why they didn't do that on the Troll and Ogre. It makes total sense. Still, both are winners and a nice options for all-road touring bikes.

100+ wheel-build club
    I've got a nice "spare" aluminum "all-around" mtb. with full XT in super shape. Hmmm...its about to get nakedified!!!!
    "Go that way REAL FAST, if something gets in your way... turn".

mtbr member
    I'm thinking I might pick up an Ogre for my around town/child puller bike that I'm currently sort of using my Fargo for. Drop bars aren't great for that, though... my boy can put too much leverage on my bike with his trail-a-bike, so a wider bar would be nice to counter that. Rear V brakes, just because I can, 1x something setup, the wide bar, maybe my Fargo V2 fork on the front to get the extra bottle mounts... I think that will be a pretty nice setup.

100+ wheel-build club
    I put 40mm rise Surly "Open Bars" on my Pugsley AND Big Dummy. I'm 6'3 and like leverage. These bars are wide enough, relatively stiff and have nice, smart, swoopy angles to them. Viva Surly! Highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    . Rear V brakes, just because I can, 1x something setup, the wide bar, maybe my Fargo V2 fork on the front to get the extra bottle mounts... I think that will be a pretty nice setup.
    I agree I think adding a fargo fork would make this bike about perfect. I see they put the extra mounts on the fork of the moonlander and pug for this year.

i too am thinking of the ogre as a kid hauler, right now I use a LHT.

100+ wheel-build club
    Quote Originally Posted by pastpost View Post
    I agree I think adding a fargo fork would make this bike about perfect. I see they put the extra mounts on the fork of the moonlander and pug for this year.

i too am thinking of the ogre as a kid hauler, right now I use a LHT.

Warning; Blatant Surly plug:

For anyone out there with 1 or two kids under 10 yrs: The Surly Big Dummy with the "Family van" kit. WAY better than a trailer, and when not loaded with a ton of kids or groceries it rides suprisingly quick. No way! Way. (I know you hear me Big Dummy brothers and sisters)! They are a chunk-o-change, (I think I have around $3500 into mine), but WOW! Seriously life changing bike. PS-Although Surly does not "endorse" trailer pulling, for legal reasons I am sure, I have pulled a circa '96 Burly all over with my Dum-Dum and it works just fine. Again, Viva Surly!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    any word on the ogre complete price? I am guessing a little more than the troll complete.

100+ wheel-build club
    Quote Originally Posted by pastpost View Post
    any word on the ogre complete price? I am guessing a little more than the troll complete.
    Priceless!

mtbr member
    Any word on availability for the Ogre frame?

Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast